Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,195 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? (968 Views)

Nigerians And Hypocrisy / UK: Mum Dies Suddenly While Cuddling Her Baby Girl, Leaving Doctors Baffled(Pix) / Nigerians And Begging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by 2buffagain(m): 11:43am On May 20, 2022
Someone has come to visit me in yankee from Nigeria.
Everytime they turn on the light to do something, they will leave that room and leave the lights on.
Several times I have woken up in the morning to almost all the lights in the house left on overnight angry.

I have repeated myself several times that they should to turn off lights after use and this fellow keeps "forgetting".
I am beginning to lose my patience.

I am a believer in the fact that humans only stop doing something when there is a consequence attached to it.
How have you dealt with this in the past?

2 Likes

Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by YeyeGbami: 11:45am On May 20, 2022
Turn it off, nothing lasts forever.
Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by 2buffagain(m): 12:05pm On May 20, 2022
YeyeGbami:
Turn it off, nothing lasts forever.

elaborate
Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by tayo60(f): 12:09pm On May 20, 2022
We no dey turn light off for Niger, na because of d money you dey pay for light over there, na im make you dey para. Next time, call his attention to it.
Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by 2buffagain(m): 12:19pm On May 20, 2022
tayo60:
We no dey turn light off for Niger, na because of d money you dey pay for light over there, na im make you dey para. Next time, call his attention to it.

Another thing about Nigerians I have noticed is their inabilty to comprehend what they read.

Read the OP again and then tell me if the emboldened makes sense as a follow up comment.

2 Likes

Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by YeyeGbami: 12:27pm On May 20, 2022
2buffagain:

elaborate

The visitor will soon be on his way. smiley
Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by tommy589(m): 12:53pm On May 20, 2022
I think years of getting cheap electricity brought this about. But pre paid metres is bringing sense to many

3 Likes

Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by socialmediaman: 1:23pm On May 20, 2022
How long has it been since you’ve been reminding them about the lights? Have they made some improvements but still forget sometimes? Or is it every time? It takes at least 3 weeks or so to form a new habit.

If nothing changes after a month and it’s the cost you’re upset about, one way to deal with it is to consider the cost a donation to charity your energy company towards keeping your friendship. Otherwise keep reminding them till you’re ready to do something more consequential to save your sanity, if it’s that serious

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by tayo60(f): 2:06pm On May 20, 2022
2buffagain:

Another thing about Nigerians I have noticed is their inabilty to comprehend what they read.

Read the OP again and then tell me if the emboldened makes sense as a follow up comment.
Op, U say wetin? grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by Corporate2020: 3:58pm On May 20, 2022
2buffagain:
Someone has come to visit me in yankee from Nigeria.
Everytime they turn on the light to do something, they will leave that room and leave the lights on.
Several times I have woken up in the morning to almost all the lights in the house left on.

I have repeated myself several times that they should to turn off lights after use and this fellow keeps "forgetting".
I am beginning to lose my patience.

I am a believer in the fact that humans only stop doing something when there is a consequence attached to it.
How have you dealt with this in the past?

Nonsense. Light wey we dey waste here. Ask him, if he was not using prepaid meter before leaving Nigeria, then I am sorry, you will fight gidigbo before he adjusts. It's our inherited bad attitude, but when some of us got prepaid metres, we gradually adjusted.

Just beat with him, and continue telling him, with time, he will adjust.

Meanwhile, don't ever think of kicking his ass out unto the streets, if you do, we will not take it lightly with you. You can't send out brother to the streets.
Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by fortune1894(m): 4:06pm On May 20, 2022
Let him pay a bill or two n trust me he will never forget again
Na him go Dey remind you to turn off the light n even the tv
Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by sisisioge: 7:13pm On May 20, 2022
grin grin grin grin grin

The person never dey use prepaid meter ni. We have actually started turning off our lights too....those of us on prepaid meter.

Biko let the person know that your bill suddenly shot up because of the lights they kept leaving on....it works like magic.

I remember visiting my sis in Canny, she had warned about keeping her gas cooker clean because if its crazily dirty, they would charge her when shes moving. She knows that I clean mine like once in a fortnight and have some indelible stains due to that. Being a prudent person, I extra cleaned hers anytime I cooked simply because I didnt want her charged. Just let them know what it does to you bill and watch them change. Pele

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by tommy589(m): 10:46pm On May 20, 2022
Corporate2020:

Nonsense. Light wey we dey waste here. Ask him, if he was not using prepaid meter before leaving Nigeria, then I am sorry, you will fight gidigbo before he adjusts. It's our inherited bad attitude, but when some of us got prepaid metres, we gradually adjusted.

Just beat with him, and continue telling him, with time, he will adjust.

Meanwhile, don't ever think of kicking his ass out unto the streets, if you do, we will not take it lightly with you. You can't send out brother to the streets.

Many Nigerians don't realise this attitude is no longer sustainable with current economic realities.

Off or not,Nepa will still bring crazy bills,this is what I used to hear when i complained about power wastage and effects on places where they needed it most. Even with prepaid,my household members are still finding it difficult to adjust from the old ways.

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by meobizy(f): 11:12pm On May 20, 2022
It takes years to form the habit. Most Nigerians are ignorant on turning lights and fans off after use. For some reason I learned it out of boredom and preferring sleep in dark rooms. You can only keep advising the person to and explaining why.
Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by NuCypher: 1:43am On May 21, 2022
Dude, grow up while you can. Tell us you were not leaving the lights on while you were in Nigeria
Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by 2buffagain(m): 6:22am On Jul 30, 2022
NuCypher:
Dude, grow up while you can. Tell us you were not leaving the lights on while you were in Nigeria

Guy shut up before I dash you $300 electric bill.
Re: What Is It With Nigerians And Leaving Lights On When They Are Done? by Klass99(f): 6:37am On Jul 30, 2022

(1) (Reply)

I Can Only Be A Housewife If My Husband Will Pay Me $77k Monthly” – Lawyer, Moe / I Don't Know If This Married Woman Hate Me Or Wants To Fûck Me...pls help / How Is Ur Struggles As An Orphan In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.