Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,670 members, 7,827,460 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening (6215 Views)

Man Arrested After Buying N150K Worth Of Stolen Laptop For N5K. Photo / Teenagers Sell Stolen Laptop For N2,000 In Lagos / Thief Nabbed After Buyer Recognized The Stolen Laptop He Was Trying To Sell.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by cRobo: 2:24pm On May 22, 2022
seborrhic:

How does this make sense to you?
He should drop it with another party and the 3rd or 4th party,an innocent person,gets dragged in,as another accomplice!
Na wao for some people!!

My mistake

I don't mean he should implicate someone else
Invite him drop it at a location maybe in a � box maybe disguised box and direct him to pick it up
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by Orgasmgiver123(m): 3:20pm On May 22, 2022
Oduskid:
only a fool will brag with u,i will track your number and drop d cctv footage

police are doing investigation when you are caught no nairalanders can save you

only a fools will think am joking
Guy, tap sense nau
Must you joke with a matter as serious as this
You no dey reason?
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by Nobody: 3:21pm On May 22, 2022
Orgasmgiver123:
Guy, tap sense nau Must you joke with a matter as serious as this You no dey reason?
reason with ur fada at home
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by Orgasmgiver123(m): 3:22pm On May 22, 2022
Oduskid:
reason with ur fada at home

1 Like

Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by Babatojide: 5:39pm On May 22, 2022
donproject2:

Which platform can someone effectively gets attention of these guys.
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by utibe1995(m): 10:06pm On May 22, 2022
teacher000123:
I will really appreciate it if this can bring more contributions to know if anyone had faced this kind of situation and how they got out of it.

Please don't meet the owner face to face to return the laptop, trust me he will get you arrest and you will have to pay all that the girl has stollen. Send the laptop through waybill for him,i repeat send the laptop through waybill for him. The girl is very easy to track by the police but is just that police sometimes need someone to use to cash out. You have knowledge of I.C.T. now if she is still on any social media, creat fake account and send her a message, when once she replies, use your computer CMD to get her IP Address, now it will be very easy to get her exact location.
If she is on WhatsApp send me her number let me frustrated her life if you can't handle it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by FODA(m): 10:18pm On May 22, 2022
crimefighter123:

Like you read my mind.
To the guy; involving police is not the problem but the outcome or the kind of police involved if he is the greedy type you might be roped. I'll advice you get a legal personnel as well. A lawyer or report to the police yourself
Did u pay cash or transfer to tye seller?and hope the price was nit too low from actual price of the item,so it won't be as if u deliberately bought stolen item,once u enter their hand,both the guy and police will change it for u,they will cash out on u, becareful and carry ur pple along.
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by Xedmark: 10:41am On May 23, 2022
teacher000123:
I have to create a new account just for this.

Last week, I had rain fall into my house and soaked my HP laptop. Even though it wasn't deeply affected, I had the fear that sooner or later, some issues will begin to develop. So I began to nurture the mind to buy a new laptop. This time around, I wanted to buy a MacBook.

I never had any knowledge of it's specifications or how it works. So I entered Facebook and went to the marketplace and began to search. I saw different laptops but lots of it were above my budget. I was just able to deep my hand into my savings to pick out 100k.The savings is for my marriage this December.

Chatted with many sellers and had one even come around and I checked and didn't like it because the battery life was just 2hrs and the processor was a duo core..

Then I keep checking, and I saw a new advert. She put 130k and I priced her down and she agreed to keep it at 110k. She claimed it was her laptop and that she was into graphic designing. And she said she was currently at Delta state to deliver a job she was called to do. She promised to come to Abuja on Wednesday but later called to tell me that she wouldn't be able to make it and postponed to Thursday.

On Thursday, she asked me to meet with her at jabi mall Abuja. I set and took a drop there and we met. She showed me the laptop and I check and saw the icloud and I asked her for the password. She said her brother logged that in and that she was trying his number but it w as switched off. And that she will send me the password that night. That was after the transactions and we finally agree to go with 100k.

I got home and made some discovery that the laptop wasn't hers... I checked the email registered to the icloud and the guy used his full names. So I searched and got his phone number and called him but it wasn't reachable. So I texted him and asked if his laptop was stolen and that I was willing to return it back to him. Then, on Friday he called me and told me that just two days ago, one of his workers made away with his gadgets and external drives and even stole other worker's belongings.

My problem now is, I bought the laptop and paid for it. He's willing to repay me but I don't want to have the police involve. He had reported the case to the police and I sent him the girl's two phone numbers and they've started tracking her. I have my fears that the guy will want to turn me in... All I wanted to do was to return the laptop to him and have my money paid to me. I don't like getting involved with the police because I don't trust them. They always have a way of turning things around. And if it will cost me my 100k, I wouldn't mind having my peace and handling everything to God.

I regret ever trying to buy online. I am self learning programming and I am a teacher as well. I learned that MacBook pro are good laptops for programming and efficient. infact, few moments the laptop was with me, I know that the product is really good and worth the price.

Mynd44
Lalasticlara
Yanabasee
etc

please I need your inputs.

Modified

Also, I just discover that the guy is on nairaland... The real owner that I contacted.

Although, it seems like his account is banned or deactivated

His Monica is Corpzenith

You made a mistake from the beginning. It's not about buying a second handed item, it's about the way you handled it. You need to understand security issues properly before engaging yourself in buying second handed things. I also buy second handed things and it's not a big issue. Before contacting the guy (the owner) you ought to have contacted the police first from the beginning immediately you discovered theft, reporting the case and having it documented with date.

Except the girl is willing to exurnurate you. You will also be seen as an accomplice in this case. I track phones for police and I know what this entails. I wish you luck. It's not too late you can turn yourself in with proves of your chats with the girl in question but note until they find the girl the police can decide to detain u for further investigation but your chats with the girl should be enough prove that you're innocent. Goodluck!!

1 Like

Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by puremaker7(m): 12:13pm On May 23, 2022
teacher000123:

How much should a fairly used MacBook pro cost?

If you go to the Facebook market place, you will see 250k for UK used. I was only looking for a fairly used laptop for a certain budget.

People sell off their items, if they have problem that requires money or they sell to upgrade and buy a newer version.

I am not greedy. I do t have money to purchase a brand new. I resorted to buying a fairly used laptop.
you fvck up, who does buy iCloud locked gadgets when the seller couldn't unlock it?
A friend of mine once made same mistake, he spent almost 2M and a year in prison because he bought a stolen laptop of which a life was lost during the robbery of the items.
He was later released when one of those that involved in the robbery was arrested, the arrested criminal told the court that the guy was not part of the robbery, Omo I can't buy any item apart from shops and receipt must be issued.

4 Likes

Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by eTen94(m): 1:08pm On May 23, 2022
You have already started the process and if you back out the story will change very fast so I suggest you get a lawyer and go with in case of any gbas gbos, this is my thoughts though
teacher000123:
I have to create a new account just for this.

Last week, I had rain fall into my house and soaked my HP laptop. Even though it wasn't deeply affected, I had the fear that sooner or later, some issues will begin to develop. So I began to nurture the mind to buy a new laptop. This time around, I wanted to buy a MacBook.

I never had any knowledge of it's specifications or how it works. So I entered Facebook and went to the marketplace and began to search. I saw different laptops but lots of it were above my budget. I was just able to deep my hand into my savings to pick out 100k.The savings is for my marriage this December.

Chatted with many sellers and had one even come around and I checked and didn't like it because the battery life was just 2hrs and the processor was a duo core..

Then I keep checking, and I saw a new advert. She put 130k and I priced her down and she agreed to keep it at 110k. She claimed it was her laptop and that she was into graphic designing. And she said she was currently at Delta state to deliver a job she was called to do. She promised to come to Abuja on Wednesday but later called to tell me that she wouldn't be able to make it and postponed to Thursday.

On Thursday, she asked me to meet with her at jabi mall Abuja. I set and took a drop there and we met. She showed me the laptop and I check and saw the icloud and I asked her for the password. She said her brother logged that in and that she was trying his number but it w as switched off. And that she will send me the password that night. That was after the transactions and we finally agree to go with 100k.

I got home and made some discovery that the laptop wasn't hers... I checked the email registered to the icloud and the guy used his full names. So I searched and got his phone number and called him but it wasn't reachable. So I texted him and asked if his laptop was stolen and that I was willing to return it back to him. Then, on Friday he called me and told me that just two days ago, one of his workers made away with his gadgets and external drives and even stole other worker's belongings.

My problem now is, I bought the laptop and paid for it. He's willing to repay me but I don't want to have the police involve. He had reported the case to the police and I sent him the girl's two phone numbers and they've started tracking her. I have my fears that the guy will want to turn me in... All I wanted to do was to return the laptop to him and have my money paid to me. I don't like getting involved with the police because I don't trust them. They always have a way of turning things around. And if it will cost me my 100k, I wouldn't mind having my peace and handling everything to God.

I regret ever trying to buy online. I am self learning programming and I am a teacher as well. I learned that MacBook pro are good laptops for programming and efficient. infact, few moments the laptop was with me, I know that the product is really good and worth the price.

Mynd44
Lalasticlara
Yanabasee
etc

please I need your inputs.

Modified

Also, I just discover that the guy is on nairaland... The real owner that I contacted.

Although, it seems like his account is banned or deactivated

His Monica is Corpzenith

1 Like

Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 23, 2022
BUT THIS BEST OPTION FOR YOU TO DO OK , DO YOU HAVE FAMILY OR FRIEND THAT'S SENIOR POLICE OFFICER LIKE UNCLE , SISTER OR RELETIVE JUST CARRY THE LAPTOP GO MEET HIM FOR STATIONS AND EXPLAIN EVERYTHING TO HIM INCLUDING EVIDENCE OF PAYMENTS AND YOUR CHATTING AND THE SITES YOU SAW THE ORDER ...IF YOU REFUSED TO FOLLOW THIS ADVICE THEY LOCK U UP IN CELL MORE THAN 2 TO 3 MONTH'S IF YOU DON'T GOTO JAIL NI OOOOO
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by belente(m): 3:00am On May 24, 2022
Cyphar:
Since she couldnt unlock the icloud, you should have senced that she is lying. Believe me sincerly, police will cashout on you, big time.
police will not Cash on him big time since he was the person that contacted the original owner
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by eallstar: 6:18am On May 24, 2022
Oduskid:
only a fool will brag with u,i will track your number and drop d cctv footage

police are doing investigation when you are caught no nairalanders can save you

only a fools will think am joking
Why can't you use this flexing of muscle to track the girl also?

1 Like

Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by eallstar: 6:40am On May 24, 2022
belente:
police will not Cash on him big time since he was the person that contacted the original owner
Nigeria doesn't work that way, police are looking for customers also they know the truth but will twist it just to cashout, u speak as if you don't know the country u are in all most everyone is currupt. The op is the mumu here, no matter the excuses you give me I can't buy used gadgets with password on
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by wirinet(m): 8:35am On May 24, 2022
Xedmark:

You made a mistake from the beginning. It's not about buying a second handed item, it's about the way you handled it. You need to understand security issues properly before engaging yourself in buying second handed things. I also buy second handed things and it's not a big issue. Before contacting the guy (the owner) you ought to have contacted the police first from the beginning immediately you discovered theft, reporting the case and having it documented with date.

Except the girl is willing to exurnurate you. You will also be seen as an accomplice in this case. I track phones for police and I know what this entails. I wish you luck. It's not too late you can turn yourself in with proves of your chats with the girl in question but note until they find the girl the police can decide to detain u for further investigation but your chats with the girl should be enough prove that you're innocent. Goodluck!!

Most people here don't have experience with Nigerian police. They don't care about the truth or justice, they only care about how much money they can squeeze from each case. He has already made too many blunders, for example buying an apple device second hand from unknown source, paying cash for the item, not collecting receipt of the transaction and contacting the owner directly with his real contact details. He should never go to the police station alone without a lawyer and a respected senior family member, preferable a security officer. Else he will be locked up and exploited. He will be locked up and asked to bail himself with ridiculous amount of money.

My advice is he should go and make a report at the nearest police station with lawyer and a respected senior person. He should write a full statement with all evidence attached, including contact details of the girl. He definitely will be arrested and the laptop will be seized as exhibit. But his lawyer and the respected elder will get him out on bail same day with minimal amount of money. The police will then commence their investigations.
The onus of finding the girl is on you. You will need to provide necessary information and sponsor the trip to find and arrest the girl. If you had transacted with bank transfer, it would have been easier tracing her through her bank. But since you used cash, the only other means of tracing her is through her phone numbers. And phone number tracing can be expensive.

I hope you get out of your predicaments safely.

2 Likes

Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by teacher000123: 4:03pm On May 24, 2022
eallstar:

Nigeria doesn't work that way, police are looking for customers also they know the truth but will twist it just to cashout, u speak as if you don't know the country u are in all most everyone is currupt. The op is the mumu here, no matter the excuses you give me I can't buy used gadgets with password on

I have access to the laptop.

I can do anything with the laptop.... I can even create another login and delete the old one...

But I decided to give this back since there is an icloud account to it. I could as well bypass it and will use it and wouldn't be tracked. I just wanted to do the right thing.

I am not a mumu...

Just that, good people are often the culprit.

1 Like

Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by teacher000123: 4:07pm On May 24, 2022
wirinet:

Most people here don't have experience with Nigerian police. They don't care about the truth or justice, they only care about how much money they can squeeze from each case. He has already made too many blunders, for example buying an apple device second hand from unknown source, paying cash for the item, not collecting receipt of the transaction and contacting the owner directly with his real contact details. He should never go to the police station alone without a lawyer and a respected senior family member, preferable a security officer. Else he will be locked up and exploited. He will be locked up and asked to bail himself with ridiculous amount of money.

My advice is he should go and make a report at the nearest police station with lawyer and a respected senior person. He should write a full statement with all evidence attached, including contact details of the girl. He definitely will be arrested and the laptop will be seized as exhibit. But his lawyer and the respected elder will get him out on bail same day with minimal amount of money. The police will then commence their investigations.
The onus of finding the girl is on you. You will need to provide necessary information and sponsor the trip to find and arrest the girl. If you had transacted with bank transfer, it would have been easier tracing her through her bank. But since you used cash, the only other means of tracing her is through her phone numbers. And phone number tracing can be expensive.

I hope you get out of your predicaments safely.

I am having a feeling that the real owner and the girl are working together.

The real owner wants me to waybill the laptop to his state of resident and without any traceable address. if I do that, I will lose more.

The laptop is still under my custody and I have been discussing with some people and we're going to make a good turn around on this matter.
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by miraculousGod(m): 8:35pm On May 24, 2022
pls be careful so that you wouldn't be scammed,
it may be an arrangement between the lady and the guy to get the laptop back from you without returning your money. They may be acting, it may be that the guy and the lady have been using the laptop to obtain money from people. Before you return the laptop collect your money. If they threaten you with police, involve a lawyer

4 Likes

Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by Tobest94: 10:18pm On May 24, 2022
Been in a similar situation like this before, bought a phone with receipt only to find out that the initially buyer took the phone without payment to the shop she ordered it from . Police were tracking and I contacted the number on the receipt same day I bought the phone, I did this because the amount I paid was a bit different from amount on the receipt and carrying the date of payment. First report the matter with #500 at a police station close to you, make sure it’s written fir references and then ask that guy (owner) to come down to that exact police station to retrieve his laptop.. You won’t get your money back unless the girls is arrested though
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by teacher000123: 6:51am On May 25, 2022
Tobest94:
Been in a similar situation like this before, bought a phone with receipt only to find out that the initially buyer took the phone without payment to the shop she ordered it from . Police were tracking and I contacted the number on the receipt same day I bought the phone, I did this because the amount I paid was a bit different from amount on the receipt and carrying the date of payment. First report the matter with #500 at a police station close to you, make sure it’s written fir references and then ask that guy (owner) to come down to that exact police station to retrieve his laptop.. You won’t get your money back unless the girls is arrested though

I don't mind, as far as he gets the laptop under the police station and with a statement that he is the original owner and that he has retrieve the laptop... So that I won't be having police coming after money and be using blackmailing tact to extort money from me at will....
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by Nalie2: 12:31am On May 26, 2022
Omo gist us, wetn later happen??
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by Charbriq2022: 4:31am On May 26, 2022
EkoErrands:

You dont need to worry too much...you need to take command of the situation. Stop allowing anybody involved tell you what to do, start telling him what you want.

Drop the laptop somewhere and tell him to go and collect it there, give him time and place.

If you want your 100k back, do you have any further information about the girl that might be useful to him? If yes, you can sell that information to him for 105k that is plus your transport wasted so far. Have him send the money to a POS vendors account you provide before giving him the critical information that he needs.

Everything u do is by proxy bro. You must act like a lone wolf, trust nobody right now.
this is a very wrong advice, you are expanding criminality by following this advice, please op, kindly turn in yourself to the police, take your lawyer along with you and make this as quickly as possible,God will vindicate you.
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by EkoErrands: 7:31am On May 26, 2022
Charbriq2022:
this is a very wrong advice, you are expanding criminality by following this advice, please op, kindly turn in yourself to the police, take your lawyer along with you and make this as quickly as possible,God will vindicate you.

It's like u just came back from abroad. I dont think you have been living in Nigeria for very long.
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by Charbriq2022: 7:56am On May 26, 2022
EkoErrands:

It's like u just came back from abroad. I dont think you have been living in Nigeria for very long.
Fear is the biggest monster,it kills you several times before your death,I see fear destroying your innocence in this case, remove fear and do the right thing man!
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by EkoErrands: 11:48am On May 26, 2022
Charbriq2022:
Fear is the biggest monster,it kills you several times before your death,I see fear destroying your innocence in this case, remove fear and do the right thing man!

You are confusing fear with trust. The young man clearly cannot afford a lawyer... you can tell that from his story. So he should trust the Nigeria police that are looking for bail money. You need to go back to America
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by chrisseun(m): 8:30am On Jul 15, 2022
Xedmark:

Can you please help me track someone that stole my phone? It was stolen by a girl too, this happened in Ibadan. Can we please chat on Whatsapp, my number is on my sig
Re: I bought a stolen laptop and this is happening by Abcruz(m): 6:41am On Apr 09, 2023
teacher000123:

I have access to the laptop.

I can do anything with the laptop.... I can even create another login and delete the old one...

But I decided to give this back since there is an icloud account to it. I could as well bypass it and will use it and wouldn't be tracked. I just wanted to do the right thing.

I am not a mumu...

Just that, good people are often the culprit.

Have you been able to resolve this issue?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

. / Troops Eliminated 105 Terrorists, Arrest 140 Others In 1 Week – Nigerian Army / Man Has Sex His Wit His Kid Daughter,Shares Photo On Facebook.See Reactions(Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.