Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,496 members, 7,812,532 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

What Do The Hausas Call God In Their Language - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do The Hausas Call God In Their Language (1027 Views)

Father Mbaka Speaks On Onitsha Fire: Don't Blame Hausas, Obiano Should Resign / Call God Name In Your Language / What Other Names Do You Usually Call God And WHY? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do The Hausas Call God In Their Language by blazingblender(m): 11:35am On May 21, 2022
I have been meaning to ask what the hausas call God in their language
Don't tell me Allah cus that's what the Muslim call God
Same way the christians call God Jehovah
But in different languages they have different name like in the Igbo language God is called Chukwu
In Yoruba God is called Oluwa please I don't know Yoruba ooh so may be that may not be what you guys call God

But in HAUSA I don't really know what God is called on their language
Please hausas in the house help me out
Re: What Do The Hausas Call God In Their Language by Nobody: 11:37am On May 21, 2022
Ubangiji

2 Likes

Re: What Do The Hausas Call God In Their Language by Urheadmaster(m): 11:38am On May 21, 2022
Dead Muhammad
Re: What Do The Hausas Call God In Their Language by blazingblender(m): 11:39am On May 21, 2022
Nikrose:
Ubangiji
Right I searched online and I saw same thing
But most hausas don't even mention the name
Re: What Do The Hausas Call God In Their Language by Nobody: 11:41am On May 21, 2022
blazingblender:

Right I searched online and I saw same thing
But most hausas don't even mention the name
Yeah most of them are now using Allah which is Arabic but real hausa native language God is called ubangiji
Re: What Do The Hausas Call God In Their Language by muyico(m): 11:45am On May 21, 2022
Oluwa is lord olorun is GOD!
Re: What Do The Hausas Call God In Their Language by blazingblender(m): 11:50am On May 21, 2022
muyico:
Oluwa is lord
olorun is GOD!
sorry
That's why I said I didn't know Yoruba to well
Thanks for the correction
Re: What Do The Hausas Call God In Their Language by IMAliyu(m): 12:42pm On May 21, 2022
Ubangiji
Based on how it's used, you could translate it to Lord god, but it's usually always used as 'Ubangiji Allah' very rarely does someone just use Ubangiji alone.

Uba means father, I suspect Giji was a pre-islamic deity.
Cause the word literally translates to 'Father of Giji'
Very little is information is available on native Hausa beliefs and gods, most of it was destroyed or suppressed with the conversation to Islam.

Muslim have tried to distance themselves from using the word because of it's possible pegan or animist origin, in favor of Allah alone.
The word is mostly used by Christian or traditional Northerners.
Re: What Do The Hausas Call God In Their Language by Kobojunkie: 1:47pm On May 21, 2022
blazingblender:
I have been meaning to ask what the hausas call God in their language
Don't tell me Allah cus that's what the Muslim call God
Same way the christians call God Jehovah
But in different languages they have different name like in the Igbo language God is called Chukwu
In Yoruba God is called Oluwa please I don't know Yoruba ooh so may be that may not be what you guys call God

But in HAUSA I don't really know what God is called on their language
Please hausas in the house help me out
The name YHWH was given by God, not to Christians but to those of His Old Covenant Law of Moses. undecided

Just as Jesus Christ is God over Christians - the Name given to His New Covenant Law in the Kingdom of God aka the Gospel - so also is YHWH God over those who are under His Old Covenant Law of Moses , the National Constitution given by God to the Nation of Israel in the Kingdom of Canaan. undecided
Re: What Do The Hausas Call God In Their Language by blazingblender(m): 3:28pm On May 21, 2022
IMAliyu:
Ubangiji
Based on how it's used, you could translate it to Lord god, but it's usually always used as 'Ubangiji Allah' very rarely does someone just use Ubangiji alone.

Uba means father, I suspect Giji was a pre-islamic deity.
Cause the word literally translates to 'Father of Giji'
Very little is information is available on native Hausa beliefs and gods, most of it was destroyed or suppressed with the conversation to Islam.

Muslim have tried to distance themselves from using the word because of it's possible pegan or animist origin, in favor of Allah alone.
The word is mostly used by Christian or traditional Northerners.
wowwww
Does it mean they abandoned their heritage??

(1) (Reply)

The Pope's Speech! / Faith / your Availability: Thats All He Wants.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.