Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,707 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Gearbox Issue - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Gearbox Issue (757 Views)

My 2009 Toyota Corolla GearBox Issue / Some Of The Best Cars That Still Come With Manual Transmission (gearbox / Toyota Sienna Gearbox Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gearbox Issue by Psoul(m): 7:14am On May 22, 2022
My Sienna gearbox is giving me issue. How do I handle it.
The first issue was not selecting Reverse gear. It was successfully fixed by my mechanic which cost me huge sum of money.

Before this issue, I used to notice oil spillage from the gearbox.
I mentioned this to my mechanic while he was fixing the selection problem. He told me he will make sure he seals every leakage.

After fixing the car, I still noticed that the leakage is still there. It won't be noticed when I drive the car within the town, but once I go on a long journey that requires high speed, you'll notice splashes of oil both within the engine compartment and the body of the car.

I took the car back to the mechanic, he then noticed that the oil is leaking from the excess oil waste vent of the gearbox. This is causing shortage of Transmission fluid in the gearbox.
He advised me that I should not let the fluid to get up to the top level mark of the dipping stick.

I'm worried about this advise as I think it may cause problem in the gearbox if the fluid level is left at the lower mark.

Please what do you think should be the best solution to this?
Can the waste vent be sealed without causing any problem in the gearbox?
Re: Gearbox Issue by Ayoslimzy(m): 7:33am On May 22, 2022
I hate any gear problem
Had to spend 500k for my Lexus gear box
And it’s having issues again

3 Likes

Re: Gearbox Issue by Psoul(m): 7:37am On May 22, 2022
Ayoslimzy:
I hate any gear problem

So annoying. I'm already planning to buy another gearbox of about N420,000 if this spillage continues.
Re: Gearbox Issue by TripleA1: 7:38am On May 22, 2022
Check on the guage dip, it's mark cold and hot. Make sure your guage mark for hot is not above hot when the engine is hot and running. The problem is over guage

1 Like

Re: Gearbox Issue by Ayoslimzy(m): 7:48am On May 22, 2022
Psoul:

So annoying. I'm already planning to buy another gearbox of about N420,000 if this spillage continues.
yes just start saving for another gearbox
Gear issues mad gan
So frustrating

2 Likes

Re: Gearbox Issue by Psoul(m): 9:22am On May 22, 2022
TripleA1:
Check on the guage dip, it's mark cold and hot. Make sure your guage mark for hot is not above hot when the engine is hot and running. The problem is over guage

My brother, it's not really over gauge.
Even when the fluid is at the cold level when the engine is hot, the leakage will still be noticed.
When the fluid is checked after noticing the splashes of traces of oil on the body of the car, you will notice that the fluid in the gearbox has gone lower than it was.

So if it was over gauge, the fluid should atleast level up to the normal point after the leak
Re: Gearbox Issue by Dozieson(m): 10:01am On May 22, 2022
Ayoslimzy:
I hate any gear problem

After how long? What is the issue?
Re: Gearbox Issue by Dozieson(m): 10:03am On May 22, 2022
Psoul:

My brother, it's not really over gauge.
Even when the fluid is at the cold level when the engine is hot, the leakage will still be noticed.
When the fluid is checked after noticing the splashes of traces of oil on the body of the car, you will notice that the fluid in the gearbox has gone lower than it was.

So if it was over gauge, the fluid should atleast level up to the normal point after the leak

Can you share pictures of where it is leaking from ?
Re: Gearbox Issue by Ayoslimzy(m): 11:09am On May 22, 2022
Dozieson:

After how long? What is the issue?
3 months o
It doesn’t change gears faster and the acceleration poor
Re: Gearbox Issue by babatee1985(m): 3:20pm On May 22, 2022
Reasons why I don't like automatic gears coz they ain't reliable in Nigeria because we don't have gear experts that will work on your gear and won't give issues again. Even most Tokunbo gears in the market are the rebuilt ones that they will be selling as tokunbo, and hence it will start misbehaving again after some months. My own gear too started misbehaving while I was going to church today coz it's not engaging when I got to the middle of the road. I'm selling the car off and going for manual coz changing of gear box is not an assurance that it won't pack up again coz u don't know if u are buying a rebuilt gear as tokunbo or not

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gearbox Issue by Psoul(m): 5:27pm On May 22, 2022
Dozieson:

Can you share pictures of where it is leaking from ?
to see the place it's leaking from, I've to dismantle some component like the air inlet filter etc.

The mechanic said that hole is the over gauge outlet. He tried covering it, the of you try to fill transmission fluid, it will not go down cos the gear box becomes air tight. Once it was opened again, the fluid in the funnel started going into the gearbox.
Re: Gearbox Issue by Dozieson(m): 7:54pm On May 22, 2022
Ayoslimzy:

3 months o
It doesn’t change gears faster and the acceleration poor

Na wa o. This is terrible. Any check engine light? Share the codes
Re: Gearbox Issue by Dozieson(m): 7:58pm On May 22, 2022
Psoul:
to see the place it's leaking from, I've to dismantle some component like the air inlet filter etc.

The mechanic said that hole is the over gauge outlet. He tried covering it, the of you try to fill transmission fluid, it will not go down cos the gear box becomes air tight. Once it was opened again, the fluid in the funnel started going into the gearbox.

Hmmmm something is wrong somewhere. It should not be spilling out from there then. Try and take your time to do more inspection/observation. To check the level of your transmission fluid, warm the car for about 10mins and check the level of oil in the dipstick. Don't put it on drive o. Just leave it on park
Re: Gearbox Issue by Psoul(m): 9:59pm On May 22, 2022
Dozieson:

Hmmmm something is wrong somewhere. It should not be spilling out from there then. Try and take your time to do more inspection/observation. To check the level of your transmission fluid, warm the car for about 10mins and check the level of oil in the dipstick. Don't put it on drive o. Just leave it on park

Ok.. thanks bro

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla 2017 Model / I Want To Fix Fiat Tippo Engine Into My Lancia Car! / Questions About Car Hire Service In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.