Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? (932 Views)

Don’t Forget Home, Buhari Tells Nigerians Living Abroad / 6 Reasons Why I Think it was wise for Atiku to Avoid a Debate without Buhari / BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Ilekokonit: 7:06pm On May 22, 2022
Is it really safe or wise for Nigerians living abroad to come back to live in Nigeria ??

This is a serious question that crosses the minds of Nigerians living abroad in relatively peaceful countries where the sanctity of life is preserved and respected.

There is no day you try to catch up with news in your fatherland that you are not confronted with graphic news / pictures or videos of someones life being cut short and people standing by taking videos of the dying person to later upload onto social media instead of trying to salvage the dying persons life by rushing the person to hospital.

The most shocking one which I need to keep reminding myself of in moments of passion when I feel like jacking everything up and relocating "again" back to Nigeria is the video of Dr Chike Akunyili (Prof Dora Akunyili's husband) who was gruesomely shot some months ago in Anambra State and as he lay dying on the floor with his skull split open by the bullets you have to shiver to see how hard he struggled to get up to no avail since his brain had been split open by the bullets. And people still had the presence of mind NOT to rush him to the hospital but to record a video of the dying man and post it on social media.

Is it the video of the area boys fighting themselves in Lagos Island you want to talk about where a young boy was seen struggling to hold up his matcheded arm from falling off from his body as life ebbed out of him and you could actually see through his matcheted ribs his lungs inflating and deflating with oxygen as he took his last breaths and people around him still could not help but record a video of the dying boy and post it on social media.

ARE WE CIVILIZED OR STILL HUMAN IN NIGERIA ? OR HAVE OUR CORRUPT POLITICIANS STOLEN OUR HUMANITY WITH THEIR LOOTING OF OUR COMMONWEALTH ??

Another case is the lynching and burning of that student in Sokoto state some weeks ago plus a few days later the lynching and burning of that sound engineer in high brow Lekki Phase 1 in Lagos.

What is so High brow about Lekki Phase 1 when such brutal animalistic killing can happen on its doorsteps with no police coming to save the boy ??

What about the Aluu Four lynching of the 4 University students falsely accused of stealing a necklace and they were clubbed to death in broad daylight 10 years ago and this is now on Wikipedia to remind the world how barbaric we are in Nigeria - and will be on the internet forever as the internet never forgets.

Now today one link led to another on the net and I found myself confronted by the decapitated head of Anambra State Lawmaker, Okechukwu Okoye who was kidnapped a week ago in Anambra state and his head was chopped off and placed casually on the floor like that of an animal ?

Haba Nigerians !!!!

What has happened to us to make us this Inhuman

Can we blame it all on the Corrupt Politicians dehumanizing us ALL with corruption induced poverty or have we Nigerians now naturally become so blood thirsty that we neither value life nor try to save a dying human being but we still have the presence of mind to record and post harrowing videos of a dying man onto social media instead of helping to save the man's life.

WHAT IS THE HOPE FOR NIGERIANS BOTH HOME AND ABROAD ESPECIALLY THE 99.9 % WHO HAVE NO POLITICAL CONNECTIONS ?

She na like this we go dey go ?

Are we Nigerians abroad permanently stranded abroad

Deep and profound questions that should bother all Nigerians including those abroad who have a DEEP love of their fatherland.

And whilst at it, I salute the courage of EVERY Nigerian still resident in Nigeria for their grit for still being able to function as human beings IN SPITE of what they see happening around them DAILY.

I was going to add - God help NIGERIA - but I am no longer sure that God is still interested in Nigeria 'cos if he was, our LONG SUFFERING prayers for good Non corrupt leaders will have been answered LONG time ago as CORRUPT POLITICIANS ARE THE CAUSE OF ALL OF THE PROBLEMS IN NIGERIA.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by springer: 7:08pm On May 22, 2022
Coming back yo Nigeria will be the greatest mistake for anybody..... nothing is working in Nigeria except corruption and kilkings

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Built2last: 7:08pm On May 22, 2022
Home is home. Igbos will say. You don't avoid legitimate fight simply because someone might die. You dont avoid your home because of few skirmishes here and there.

I am outside the country but return to check my business. I have left that business because families rely on it to feed especially my staff.

I go to Nigeria without blinking twice every year.

I dont feel my mind with negative thoughts about Nigeria when I want to travel. As a man thinks so is he, I believe.

The earth serves us what we occupy our mind with. If you enter Nigeria with fear. The chances of bad thing happening to you is high.

When I get back to Naija, I blend in. I dont wear designers, I dont use big phone. I wear fez cap. I dont announce my arrival and departure because las las na person we know you go arrange the kidnapping. I change hotel every 2 days if i am not in Abuja where i have a house. I dont eat out. My mum makes my food or I eat in hotel where I lodge.

Dont speak phonetics, switch to pidgin and be careful not to show off.

Avoid women in Naija. They tell their friends and boy friends they are with a guy who just came back. Sometimes innocently, not knowing they are giving away too much information that might harm you.

On the day of your departure.

If I will leave Nigeria next Saturday, I tell people its next Monday. If you call, I don land where I dey go.

You are in charge of your safety.

Lastly, never activate your location on your phone. Avoid all those leaving Hithrow Aiport on facebook location. Just landed in Lagos. Who are you impressing. Na license to die be that.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Snitch24(m): 7:11pm On May 22, 2022
Depends on what you're coming to do
But I wouldn't advice that though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by kelvine(m): 7:11pm On May 22, 2022
Many abroad say, don't be desperate to travel.
Those in Nigeria say, the country is finished
Which way now?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Freebirs(f): 7:13pm On May 22, 2022
No, stay your house, inflation go Finnish you go ask who send you come

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by decatalyst(m): 7:17pm On May 22, 2022
Home is where you feel SAFE, comfortable, loved, cared for and valued.

If you lacked the above where you are now, you may come back.

But if you do not lack any of the above and you relocate, I wouldn't write "sorry" "RIP" or "condolences...

Kinda feels village people dey reason your matter lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Golan007: 7:21pm On May 22, 2022
Many Nigerians are beasts.

They have no decency, lack conscience and would stitch you up in a minute.

That's why universities have gangs which I'm sure you never saw abroad.

That's why fraud is celebrated, unexplained wealth glorified, all vices that most advanced societies tend to curb are actually elevated.

Everyone's suspicious of the next simply because crime is rife and the average person would engage in fraud, given the opportunity.

It's a mess and it starts with the conscience of the individual.

It stinks.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by GOFRONT(m): 7:25pm On May 22, 2022
Give a Nigerian the opportunity to travel and work abroad.......

3 or 4 years later, Just watch him or her itching to RETURN back to Nigeria just to show off to his/her homebase friends and relatives.

I wan japa japa....Now u don japa, wetin you return come find for where u japa from??

Abi them deport you??......abi your visa expire??.....abi you commit??

Wetin dey make you reason of return again for Godsake
Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by youngaliwa(m): 7:30pm On May 22, 2022
It's always safe but it's not when you are not yet made

For your broker/ Bitcoin Investment website, banking site, shipping site, website cloning, website design, Bitcoin flashing, admob earning app and any programing work, Link in bio
Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Ilekokonit: 7:34pm On May 22, 2022
Built2last:
Yes

Please explain why you said Yes, that it is safe and wise to return permanently to Nigeria in spite of the violence and death we read about DAILY [/b] ?

I personally still DAILY nurse the ambition of returning PERMANENTLY to Nigeria after Decades abroad and my last relocation stint in 2006 lasted for 2 years as I only made 60 Naira profit from the restaurant I came to set up and run in Naija due to my 9 staff all being thieves (including my brothers fiancee - now Ex wife who was the manager). And this stealing happened right under my nose and the most hardworking staff was the biggest thief helping himself daily to 7,000 from the daily takings.

But IN spite of this I still feel homesick REGULARLY and I hope to return home to Nigeria one day SOON but is this hunger and longing to relocate to Nigeria safe and wise or is it a DANGEROUS PIPE DREAM

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by NwaNimo1(m): 7:34pm On May 22, 2022
Ilekokonit:
Is it really safe or wise for Nigerians living abroad to come back to live in Nigeria ??

This is a serious question that crosses the minds on nigerians living abroad in relatively peaceful countries where the sanctity of life is preserved and respected.

There is no day you try to catch up with news in your fatherland that you are not confronted with graphic news / pictures or videos of someones life being cut short and people standing by taking videos of the dying person to later upload onto social media instead of trying to slvage the dying persons life by rushing the person to hospital.

The most shocking one which I need to keep reminding myself of in moments of passion when I feel like jacking everything up and relocating "again" back to Nigeria is the video of Dr Chike Akunyili (Prof Dora Akunyili's husband) who was gruesomely shot some months ago in Anambra State and as he lay dying on the floor with his skull split open by the bullets you have to shiver to see how hard he struggled to get up to no avail since his brain had been split open by the bullets. And people still had the presence of mind NOT to rush him to the hospital but to record a video of the dying man and post it on social media.

Is it the video of the area boys fighting themselves in Lagos Island you want to talk about where a young boy was seen struggling to hold up his matcheded arm from falling off from his body as life ebbed out of him and you could actually see through his matcheted ribs his lungs inflating and deflating with oxygen as he took his last breaths and people around him still could not help but record a video of the dying boy and post it on social media.

ARE WE CIVILIZED OR STILL HUMAN IN NIGERIA ? OR HAVE OUR CORRUPT POLITICIANS STOLEN OUR HUMANITY WITH THEIR LOOTING OF OUR COMMONWEALTH ??

Another case is the lynching and burning of that student in Sokoto state some weeks ago plus a few days later the lynching and burning of that sound engineer in high brow Lekki Phase 1 in Lagos.

What is so High brow about Lekki Phase 1 when such brutal animalistic killing can happen on its doorsteps with no police coming to save the boy ??

What about the Aluu Four lynching of the 4 University students falsely accused of stealing a necklace and they were clubbed to death in broad daylight 10 years ago and this is now on Wikipedia to remind the world how barbaric we are in Nigeria - and will be on the internet forever as the internet never forgets.

Now today one link led to another on the net and I found myself confronted by the decapitated head of Anambra State Lawmaker, Okechukwu Okoye who was kidnapped a week ago in Anambra state and his head was chopped off and placed casually on the floor like that of an animal ?

Haba Nigerians !!!!

What has happened to us to make us this Inhuman

Can we blame it all on the Corrupt Politicians dehumanizing us ALL with corruption induced poverty or have we Nigerians now naturally become so blood thirsty that we neither value life nor try to save a dying human being but we still have the presence of mind to record and post harrowing videos of a dying man onto social media instead of helping to save the man's life.

WHAT IS THE HOPE FOR NIGERIANS BOTH HOME AND ABROAD ESPECIALLY THE 99.9 % WHO HAVE NO POLITICAL CONNECTIONS ?

She na like this we go dey go ?

Are we Nigerians abroad permanently stranded abroad

Deep and profound questions that should bother all Nigerians including those abroad who have a DEEP love of their fatherland.

And whilst at it, I salute the courage of EVERY Nigerian still resident in Nigeria for their grit for still being able to function as human beings IN SPITE of what they see happening around them DAILY.

I was going to add - God help NIGERIA - but I am no longer sure that God is still interested in Nigeria 'cos if he was, our LONG SUFFERING prayers for good Non corrupt leaders will have been answered LONG time ago as CORRUPT POLITICIANS ARE THE CAUSE OF ALL OF THE PROBLEMS IN NIGERIA.
Nigerians make Nigeria - !

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by KanwuliaExtra: 7:41pm On May 22, 2022
All that I know that moved back to Nigeria have returned to start all over again.
Nigeria frustrated them gaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
Just an illusion.
Going from a system that works, to battle evil forces in a country WITHOUT any system.

To visit Nigeria is a supernatural task, not to talk of re-settling there.
Impossible!
EVERYONE I KNOW has since left Nigeria YET AGAIN, because NIGERIA IS A SYSTEMLESS FAILURE of an environment.
You have to be psychologically-challenged to live in a place like Nigeria-A PURE ZOO full of the most WICKED human beings ever walked the planet Earth.

Living in Nigeria reminds me of CRABS IN A BUCKET. No success for anyone. You will be pulled down by the most miserable beings around you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Built2last: 7:51pm On May 22, 2022
Ilekokonit:

Please explain why you said Yes, that it is safe and wise to return permanently to Nigeria in spite of the violence and death we read about DAILY [/b] ?

I personally still DAILY nurse the ambition of returning PERMANENTLY to Nigeria after Decades abroad and my last relocation stint in 2006 lasted for 2 years as I only made 60 Naira profit from the restaurant I came to set up and run in Naija due to my 9 staff all being thieves (including my brothers fiancee - now Ex wife who was the manager). And this stealing happened right under my nose and the most hardworking staff was the biggest thief helping himself daily to 7,000 from the daily takings.

But IN spite of this I still feel homesick REGULARLY and I hope to return home to Nigeria one day SOON but is this hunger and longing to relocate to Nigeria safe and wise or is it a DANGEROUS PIPE DREAM

Don't forget that over 200 million people are living, working and sleeping in Nigeria and they have not all died.

Millionaires are emerging from Nigeria every year. It all depends on who you tole with and what you do.
Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Ilekokonit: 8:12pm On May 22, 2022
Snitch24:
Depends on what you're coming to do
But I wouldn't advice that though

Coming back to live permanently in Naija
Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Ilekokonit: 8:20pm On May 22, 2022
kelvine:
Many abroad say, don't be desperate to travel.
Those in Nigeria say, the country is finished
Which way now?

Very Good observation.

The grass always looks greener of the other side.

What tempted me to relocate to Nigeria in 2006 was the fact that between 2003 and 2004 I visited Naija quite a few times and with the advent of democracy in Naija + mobile phones every where in Naija plus the general feel good factor reported by every news media both home and abroad about Naija (especially Nigerian owned TV stations in the UK - e.g Ben TV UK) , it always seemed that Nigeria was on the mend and a place to be and i even contemplated bringing my kids to school in Naija but the £10,000 cost per year of Lekki British International School at the time brought me back down to earth and although I tried living in Nigeria for 2 years - 2006 - 2008 and it did not work out, I still can not rule out doing the same soon - maybe I am just an eternal optimist about Nigeria .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Ilekokonit: 8:27pm On May 22, 2022
decatalyst:
Home is where you feel SAFE, comfortable, loved, cared for and valued.

If you lacked the above where you are now, you may come back.

But if you do not lack any of the above and you relocate, I wouldn't write "sorry" "RIP" or "condolences...

Kinda feels village people dey reason your matter lipsrsealed

I don't really believe in village people having ANY powers whatsoever nor do I fear death (as we all gonna die one day including the village people and ALL Babalawo's who can not even save themselves from death) and I have actually relocated to Naija once - 2006-2008 - and I only left Naija 'cos all my staff in my restaurant were thieves making it non profitable.

And come to think of it, in spite of all Nigeria's challenges and all the bad news we read daily, IF I had a guaranteed source of income in Naija, I would relocate to Naija like yesterday.

And there lies the conundrum - a stable CONSISTENT source of income for someone relocating back to Naija from abroad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Ilekokonit: 8:36pm On May 22, 2022
GOFRONT:
Give a Nigerian the opportunity to travel and work abroad.......

3 or 4 years later, Just watch him or her itching to RETURN back to Nigeria just to show off to his/her homebase friends and relatives.

Abi them deport you??......abi your visa expire??.....abi you commit??

Actually not every one is a child that will still feel the need to come back to Naija to show off to his Naija based friends 'cos if you read my second post on this thread, you will see that I said that I have lived abroad for "Decades" and so the need to show off does not enter the equation and by the way not every Nigerian living abroad is an illegal immigrant or a criminal.

Some Nigerians were actually born abroad and that foreign passport they acquired at birth is the ONLY reason they found / find it hard to stay put in Naija which could actually turn out to be a good thing in the long run for some people.

No be every one wey dey Naija dey suffer o and no be every one wey dey abroad (including white people) dey enjoy o.
Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by PharoahIII: 8:38pm On May 22, 2022
I wonder why people who manage to go abroad begin to think they are some sort of important species. There are people who are 1000x richer than those abroad living fine in nigeria, they havent died. Do people abroad not die? Are there no robberies or even killings abroad. Nigeria has its flaws but at least in Nigeria you'll be respected, but abroad you're nothing but an immigrant 'stealing their jobs' if you want to come back come back, if you dont want to come back then carrying on slaving over there.
Come to think of it, when you ran away and left Nigeria, who did you think was going to fix the country for you?

1 Like

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by decatalyst(m): 8:42pm On May 22, 2022
Ilekokonit:

I don't really believe in village people having ANY powers whatsoever nor do I fear death (as we all go die one day including the village people and ALL Babalawo's who can not even save themselves from death) and I have actually relocated to Naija once - 2006-2008 - and I only left Naija 'cos all my staff in my restaurant were thieves making it non profitable.

And come to think of it, in spite of all Nigeria's challenges and all the bad news we read daily, IF I had a guaranteed source of income in Naija, I would relocate to Naija like yesterday.

And there lies the conundrum - a stable CONSISTENT source of income for someone relocating back to Naija from abroad.

Hmmm...i get your point but you really need to think about this over and over.

You can sleep a multimillionaire and wake up a pauper! Just one senseless economy policy will ruin lives! GoKada, Obike comes to mind.

Businesses and quality of lives keeps evaporating with reckless abandonment.

Sad thing is, no end in sight!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Ilekokonit: 8:47pm On May 22, 2022
KanwuliaExtra:
All that I know that moved back to Nigeria have returned to start all over again.
Nigeria frustrated them gaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
Just an illusion.
Going from a system that works, to battle evil forces in a country WITHOUT any system.

To visit Nigeria is a supernatural task, not to talk of re-settling there.
Impossible!
EVERYONE I KNOW has since left Nigeria YET AGAIN, because NIGERIA IS A SYSTEMLESS FAILURE of an environment.
You have to be psychologically-challenged to live in a place like Nigeria-A PURE ZOO full of the most WICKED human beings ever walked the planet Earth.

Living in Nigeria reminds me of CRABS IN A BUCKET. No success for anyone. You will be pulled down by the most miserable beings around you.

This your post is profound.

But why is it that quite a lot of Nigerians who relocate to Nigeria end up returning back to their base abroad when their businesses in Naija fail to thrive ?

In days gone by, the Yoruba's will say - Ile labo sinmi oko - meaning that when you get tired from farming / hustling, you return home to rest but now it seems like - Oko Labo sinmi Oko - The farm is where you now go back to rest as home is no longer a conducive place to go back to rest and again its like - Ile baba omo nba omo leru - a child is now afraid to return to his fathers house ?

But like I said earlier, may be I am just an incurable optimist about Nigeria or maybe I just like taking risks or maybe because I grew up in a Naija that worked, that nostalgia is still inside me or maybe na these Oyinbo people I dey work with dey make me wan Japa back to Nigeria once they bring their racist attitudes to my doorstep.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Ilekokonit: 8:57pm On May 22, 2022
KanwuliaExtra:

This is so sad.

Around 2005, I wrote an article on this same Nairaland likening the situation in Nigeria as similar to the corrupt politicians standing on a table feasting on our collective treasury and the remaining 99.9% of Nigerians being a far way down on the floor coiled up like snakes that are ready to strike and all fighting themselves for the crumbs that fall from the politicians feast from the table way above the poor masses.

Yet I still relocated to Naija to set up a business a year later in 2006 and I stayed in Naija for 2 years and only left when the figures were not adding up.

Maybe I am a just a stickler for punishment ? I don't know what it is but something about Nigeria is buried deep inside my heart and to remove it or turn my back on Nigeria seems impossible for me.

I am just eternally optimistic nostalgic about Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Ilekokonit: 9:02pm On May 22, 2022
Built2last:

Don't forget that over 200 million people are living, working and sleeping in Nigeria and they have not all died.

Valid point.
Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Ilekokonit: 9:14pm On May 22, 2022
decatalyst:

Hmmm...i get your point but you really need to think about this over and over.

You can sleep a multimillionaire and wake up a pauper! Just one senseless economy policy will ruin lives! GoKada, Obike comes to mind.

Businesses and quality of lives keeps evaporating with reckless abandonment.

Sad thing is, no end in sight!

I see your point hence my saying a stable CONSISTENT source of income is needed for anyone in Nigeria both returnees and non-returnees but the difference is that the non-returnees will do better in Naija with the same capital / savings because a) they know their way around the Nigerian system and b) they tend to respect the Naira more than returnees who find it difficult to suddenly scale down their living expenses from what it was when they were abroad.

Ask a returnee to eat only a piece of meat with a meal and it will be like punishment as they have been used to eating AS MUCH meat as they want for MANY years whilst abroad and when you factor wanting to live in a relatively safe expensive neighborhood you will see that without a reliable consistent and fairly high source of income in Naija, most Naija returnees can not cope with the expenses in Nigeria long term especially if they don't have a reliable and consistent source of daily cash in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Snitch24(m): 9:24pm On May 22, 2022
Ilekokonit:

Coming back to live permanently in Naija
Pls don't

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by vanunu: 9:48pm On May 22, 2022
Built2last:

Millionaires are emerging from Nigeria every year. It all depends on who you tole with and what you do.

Even in Afghanistan , Iraq and Yemen there are multi millionaires.
Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by Reflect7: 10:02pm On May 22, 2022
PharoahIII:
I wonder why people who manage to go abroad begin to think they are some sort of important species. There are people who are 1000x richer than those abroad living fine in nigeria, they havent died. Do people abroad not die? Are there no robberies or even killings abroad. Nigeria has its flaws but at least in Nigeria you'll be respected, but abroad you're nothing but an immigrant 'stealing their jobs' if you want to come back come back, if you dont want to come back then carrying on slaving over there.
Come to think of it, when you ran away and left Nigeria, who did you think was going to fix the country for you?

Most intelligent post so far, in a sea of zombies.

Ignorant fools drowning in inferiority complex and self hate.

How anyone can leave Nigeria and settle In America because of 'insecurity' in Nigeria is the very height of tomfoolery.

If you know how many Nigerian cab drivers have been shot dead in America in the last decade..... i mean, the US is a place where you don't just hear about 'insecurity' in the news like we do in Nigeria and start jumping up and down, screaming like idiots.

Insecurity in America is something you see and hear everyday around you, in the form of gunshots, drive-by shootings, mass shootings, drug and gang-related shootings, robberies, burglaries etc etc. 70,000 people are shot dead in America each year in gun crime. It is a place where anyone can walk into a shop and buy a gun, even a machine gun in some states, complete with bullets.

But a dumb Nigerian in Lagos, Benin etc who is running a successful business and doing well in Nigeria will abandon all that to go and work as a security guard in America, because of 'insecurity' he heard about on Abuja-Kaduna highway and Boko Haram, all thousands of kilometres away from him up north, with next to no chance of it directly affecting him.

MUMU PEOPLE.
Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by vanunu: 10:42pm On May 22, 2022
PharoahIII:

Nigerians only respect rich people, abroad there is dignity of labour, people just respect each other.
Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by KanwuliaExtra: 11:22pm On May 22, 2022
Ilekokonit:

This is so sad.

Around 2005, I wrote an article on this same Nairaland likening the situation in Nigeria as similar to the corrupt politicians standing on a table feasting on our collective treasury and the remaining 99.9% of Nigerians being a far way down on the floor coiled up like snakes that are ready to strike and all fighting themselves for the crumbs that fall from the politicians feast from the table way above the poor masses.

Yet I still relocated to Naija to set up a business a year later in 2006 and I stayed in Naija for 2 years and only left when the figures were not adding up.

Maybe I am a just a stickler for punishment ? I don't know what it is but something about Nigeria is buried deep inside my heart and to remove it or turn my back on Nigeria seems impossible for me.

I am just eternally optimistic nostalgic about Nigeria.

We all feel exactly the same way.
Longing for Nigeria where we have roots and dreaming our motherland will give us a sense of belonging and peace.
Only to be confronted with the harsh and sad reality that it is better to be emotionally and financially-enslaved WILLINGLY in a foreign land that can afford you better chances of self-actualization.

Sad indeed!

You send your children abroad to the best schools and they remain on exile because they will NEVER be given the slightest opportunity to give their best. Only to leave the country to be ruled by generational illiterate AGBEROS!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by KanwuliaExtra: 11:29pm On May 22, 2022
Ilekokonit:

This your post is profound.

But why is it that quite a lot of Nigerians who relocate to Nigeria end up returning back to their base abroad when their businesses in Naija fail to thrive ?

In days gone by, the Yoruba's will say - Ile labo sinmi oko - meaning that when you get tired from farming / hustling, you return home to rest but now it seems like - Oko Labo sinmi Oko - The farm is where you now go back to rest as home is no longer a conducive place to go back to rest and again its like - Ile baba omo nba omo leru - a child is now afraid to return to his fathers house ?

But like I said earlier, may be I am just an incurable optimist about Nigeria or maybe I just like taking risks or maybe because I grew up in a Naija that worked, that nostalgia is still inside me or maybe na these Oyinbo people I dey work with dey make me wan Japa back to Nigeria once they bring their racist attitudes to my doorstep.

Who wants to live with and work under the white, red, yellow or green man? undecided
Most of us are here on SELF-EXILE. Far better than being hacked to death like nama anywhere in Nigeria.
Look at the level of insecurity in Nigeria-deliberately orchestrated to keep the common man in fear and uncertainty?
Why deliberate? So they cannot question or fight the status quo.

Because Nigeria is not a workable country, how can any sane person invest? undecided
For businesses to thrive, you must be guaranteed some element of safety and justice.
If your life is not safe, how can you do business? undecided
Nigeria is like quicksand. It can only suck you in without spitting you out.
Eternal damnation.
You will spend your hard-earned savings to promote a business culture and will ALWAYS FAIL!
The level of poverty can only foster economic growth for criminals with no conscience(aka politicians and government parastals).

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by EerinLakatabu(m): 12:04am On May 23, 2022
While I agree with you about the over-sensationalism of 9ja’s problem, you can’t argue the country has been a failure.

We genuinely can’t keep going like this.

Reflect7:

Most intelligent post so far, in a sea of zombies.

Ignorant fools drowning in inferiority complex and self hate.

How anyone can leave Nigeria and settle In America because of 'insecurity' in Nigeria is the very height of tomfoolery.

If you know how many Nigerian cab drivers have been shot dead in America in the last decade..... i mean, the US is a place where you don't just hear about 'insecurity' in the news like we do in Nigeria and start jumping up and down, screaming like idiots.

Insecurity in America is something you see and hear everyday around you, in the form of gunshots, drive-by shootings, mass shootings, drug and gang-related shootings, robberies, burglaries etc etc. 70,000 people are shot dead in America each year in gun crime. It is a place where anyone can walk into a shop and buy a gun, even a machine gun in some states, complete with bullets.

But a dumb Nigerian in Lagos, Benin etc who is running a successful business and doing well in Nigeria will abandon all that to go and work as a security guard in America, because of 'insecurity' he heard about on Abuja-Kaduna highway and Boko Haram, all thousands of kilometres away from him up north, with next to no chance of it directly affecting him.

MUMU PEOPLE.

Re: Is It Really Safe Or Wise For Nigerians Living Abroad To Come Back To Nigeria ?? by EerinLakatabu(m): 12:10am On May 23, 2022
Right. As adorable as my culture is.. I find the money-worshipping inclinations utterly repugnant

vanunu:

Nigerians only respect rich people, abroad there is dignity of labour, people just respect each other.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Peter Obi Was Impeached When He / Man Carry Very Big Pig On Top Of Bike / Muslim-muslim Ticket: What Every Christian Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.