Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,190 members, 7,953,682 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:01 PM

Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others (10901 Views)

Tinubu’s Reinstated Fuel Subsidy Will Drain Almost Half Of Oil Revenue—IMF Warns / UK Parliament Warns: Nigeria Under Buhari Is At Mercy Of Bandits, Terrorists / Again, IMF Warns Nigeria Against Rising Debts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by Omooba77: 8:24pm On May 22, 2022
The International Monetary Fund has warned Nigeria and other emerging economies to promptly repair their weak labour markets and severe schooling disruptions to prevent plunging their economies into further damage.

In a new report titled, ‘Healing the pandemic’s economic scars demands prompt action,’ the Washington-based lender said pandemic-induced losses for both economic output and employment would be significant in coming years, as discussed in its April’s World Economic Outlook.

According to the report, emerging market economies were likely to endure greater losses because they had relatively less access to vaccines and their pandemic-support packages were smaller. For many economies, the outbreak of the war in Ukraine was adding to the challenges, it noted.

The report read in part, “Our new analytical work finds that, among the key causes of scarring from the pandemic are the prospective weak labour market recoveries in emerging market economies and the severe disruptions to schooling over the past two years across both advanced and emerging economies. Policymakers must act promptly to repair the damage from the crisis and prevent decades of diminished economic output from lost human capital.”

The report added that recessions often had lasting impacts on workers who lost jobs at the depths of the downturn. They might find it hard to get new positions during the recovery and might lose some skills from prolonged joblessness, it said, noting that such losses harmed the affected workers and also reduced overall economic output

It further read, “In addition to the challenges in the labour market and from schooling disruptions, there are other channels for scarring as well. For example, the increase in corporate debt and vulnerabilities in the industries hit hardest by the pandemic could also contribute to scarring by weighing on investment and productivity for years to come, according to new research presented in the IMF’s April World Economic Outlook.”

According to the IMF, time was short for limiting learning losses because education was cumulative, each year building on the last. To minimise enduring harm, countries must quickly assess setbacks to learning and implement the appropriate measures to help students.

“In addition, pandemic-era support measures for firms and workers that helped limit pandemic scarring, such as credit guarantees and job retention policies, will need to be scaled back as recoveries strengthen. Doing so will help avoid holding back the reallocation of workers and resources to their most productive uses as the pandemic eases, and help foster productivity growth.

“Instead, policies could shift to helping people to adjust to changing labour markets, such as through well-targeted job-search programmes and additional support for training to build new skills. Moreover, to limit elevated pockets of corporate distress turning into significant business failures or investment slumps, it’s also crucial to ensure well-functioning mechanisms for corporate insolvency and out-of-court restructuring,” the report further said.

https://punchng.com/fix-weak-labour-market-imf-warns-nigeria-others/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by ygowon: 8:37pm On May 22, 2022
Buhari doesn't understand economics but I don't blame him. I blame those who gave him the power.

The president of Nigeria should be a free hearted person with sound knowledge of economics.

With the qualities above, he would be able to appoint the right persons and make the right decisions.

I wish Nigeria is blessed with Peter Obi. As a candidate interested in helping his country out of its pitiable condition, Peter Obi has studied countries doing well to know why Nigeria is not doing well.

During the classic FM interview, Peter obi made us understand that in the 80's, Nigeria was helping south Korea pay it's workers salaries. He stated that our reserve then was about billions of dollars but today, we borrow.

Bad leadership has destroyed Nigeria and we are still allowing these selfish politicians who see politics as business to be in charge. Nigeria needs one who sees politics as a platform to add value to human lives.

According to Peter Obi, the first thing to be done is to invest in human infrastructure, which is education. The people needs to be educated to know how things are done the right way. He stated that if physical infrastructure is built without human infrastructure to maintain it, the structure is bound to dilapidate and that's true.

Well, Peter Obi does not share money and that might be the reason he doesn't have delegates supporting him. Even the delegates are more interested in what they get from the candidates, forgetting that Nigeria will affect everyone Las Las.

The best part of the classic FM interview I was able to grab is:

Classic FM OAP: Are you aware there is a gang up against you in the People's Democratic Party?
Peter Obi: I don't care about the gang up. The worst they can do is throw me out of the Party because they don't agree with my type of politics

If you are interested in listening to the interview, here is the link on podcast https://gatekeepersnews.com/gatekeepers-podcast/

If you are interested in watching the interview on YouTube, here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DRJmTWstJzY&t=1463s

I'm doing this because I know that if Nigeria becomes good tomorrow, we all will enjoy it. If it gets worst which I don't pray for, we all suffer. By the way, 100% of all Peter Obi's supporters are not paid, but are enlightened on his capacity to lead Nigeria right. I'm fighting for the future of our children.

My prayer is that the man leaves PDP to another party if the delegates are not interested in building Nigeria. That new party he joins is the party I'm voting. This opportunity can not be lost because Nigeria might never get it again.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by fola2222: 8:40pm On May 22, 2022
Gooday sir/ma please am looking For Job.
Am an HND Holder In Accounting. My additional qualifications are Peachtree accounting (sage 50) SPSS, Computer Appreciation, CHRP, also experience in quick books.

0:7:0:3:8:1:9:6:1:1:6

Thanks

9 Likes

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by shaggy007(m): 8:41pm On May 22, 2022
Hahaha

Do they have any idea who they are talking to?

You're telling a NEPA certificate holder to fix school disruptions

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by Nobody: 8:41pm On May 22, 2022
No labour market in Nigeria.

Slave market we have.

Modernized slavery.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by iCauseTrouble: 8:41pm On May 22, 2022
grin
Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by NwaNimo1(m): 8:42pm On May 22, 2022

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by ttshems(m): 8:42pm On May 22, 2022
Watch how nobody will pay attention to this!!!

9 Likes

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by abrahambest(m): 8:42pm On May 22, 2022
hmm
Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by Mubarak55(m): 8:43pm On May 22, 2022
Interesting
Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by englishmart(m): 8:43pm On May 22, 2022
Nigeria is irredeemably dystopian. The only solution is balkanization.
Divide the damed country

14 Likes

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by Ezlynn: 8:43pm On May 22, 2022
I hope they listen, they're blocking crypto trading apps, and cards we use for international transactions. Trading USDT for naira on Yellow Card has been helpful in these trying times.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by AK284(m): 8:44pm On May 22, 2022
Unfortunately we an imbecilic president who understands nothing except corruption and cow protection.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by oluseyiforjesus(m): 8:46pm On May 22, 2022
How can u fix d content when d container has been destroy, let everybody dey go him way.....

2 Likes

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by Flier: 8:47pm On May 22, 2022
Frequent strikes can be sorted out but Nigerian labour market cant be fixed because to fix it,you will need bank to give out loan to every eligible citizen and stable electricity and government need to be ready to buy back bad loans,something that is not possible in Nigeria
Having studied Dubai and Singapore model for several weeks,I realised Nigeria or Africa as a whole will always have unemployment problem or may never develop.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by nkemoma(m): 8:49pm On May 22, 2022
Other nations might heed this and take action..

But that mannequin with ear problems will keep sipping kunu and chewing gworo

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by nnoble(m): 8:49pm On May 22, 2022
..IMF is saying sensing an impending doom if the systems continues

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by Lonelyhrt1(m): 8:49pm On May 22, 2022
Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by Eriokanmi: 8:51pm On May 22, 2022
Wetin concern mallam concern economy? The only language they undestand is looting. Buhari came in the 80s and our economy suffered a huge setback. He's back decades after as a civilian president and same is happening.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by saints2(f): 8:51pm On May 22, 2022
Will they listen?
Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by Angelfrost(m): 8:52pm On May 22, 2022
Buhari can't even fix his household, you now want him to fix the nation... Lol!

1 Like

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by Reference(m): 8:54pm On May 22, 2022
That is the change they voted for.
Now they are busy pulling down a mountain of woes on top their heads in the name of 2023 elections.
Democracy and elections for the name plate only, zero substance, zero effect on the lives and the interests of the people it is mean to serve.
Yet they fight and insult themselves all over the place for..... nothing.
Failed citizens.
Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by NamelessOGBENI(m): 8:56pm On May 22, 2022
ttshems:
To start with, the labor law is even dead.

1 Like

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by kingyakos: 8:57pm On May 22, 2022
ttshems:

Their attention has been diverted to 2023
Nigeria is like a woman that has nothing but back side

2 Likes

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by adebayo987: 9:02pm On May 22, 2022
Omooba77:

https://punchng.com/fix-weak-labour-market-imf-warns-nigeria-others/

This islamic stupid idiot prophet muhammad lunatic anti education Nigeria leaders won't do anything to help educate the youths because it's against their nonsense religion for women to be educated. They're happy everyone is at home since they tried to use Boko haram to disrupt female education but it didn't work now they're using the government... Stupid Muslim begots everywhere! Let them go fvck themselves. They can only attack girls who blasphame their rubbish muhammad, let them try it on me, i'm harms way to them. Idiots!

As for IMF, you guys should forgive at most 80% of our debts to ease life for us back here.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by mkpurumma090(f): 9:03pm On May 22, 2022
Buhari you dey hear wetin them talk. Zazuuuu

Zoos have failed us Zazuuu
Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by Nobody: 9:08pm On May 22, 2022
What does weak labour market even mean?
Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by ayenale1(m): 9:10pm On May 22, 2022
IMF treating countries with carrot and stick method....they borrow countries money, tell them how to pay the loan and tell them they are lazy...in Nigeria case they should stop borrowing us money...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fix Weak Labour Market, IMF Warns Nigeria, Others by AngelicBeing: 9:13pm On May 22, 2022

(1) (2) (Reply)

Afegbua Hails PDP G-5, Says Atiku Should Rise Above Petty Politics / Bandits Occupy 102 Zamfara Communities, Shut Down Farming / Embattled Lagos Speaker To Probe Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.