Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

What If An Open Source Web Project Is Setup Today, How Will You React? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What If An Open Source Web Project Is Setup Today, How Will You React? (849 Views)

How To Setup And Start A Blog / An Open Source Social Networking Script That Looks Like Facebook / Open Source Courier Cargo Tracking Software Script Written In Php/mysql (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If An Open Source Web Project Is Setup Today, How Will You React? by Afam(m): 6:26pm On Aug 09, 2007
What will be the reaction of software developers, web designers and programmers if today there is a real need to start an open source web project that will enable Nigerians (as a whole) benefit from going online without breaking the bank?

With such an idea be welcomed, accepted or will be it opposed, run down and dismissed?

Projects like PHP, Asterix, Oscommerce etc were developed using the open source model, even linux too.

So, why not a Nigerian focused solution with all the features and functionalities that Nigerians themselves want?
Re: What If An Open Source Web Project Is Setup Today, How Will You React? by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:48pm On Aug 09, 2007
Am a benefactor of open source community. I use open source programs such as Ubuntu, php, cherookee and a host of others.
The good thing about open source is that one is free to modify it to suit you. I know Nigerians are now waking up to this trend. I even intend starting a linux user group here in Nigeria. Although we have a thread on Nairaland.
The idea of open source is welcomed
Re: What If An Open Source Web Project Is Setup Today, How Will You React? by Afam(m): 4:19pm On Aug 10, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

I agree with you that everyone wins with a business model like that.

But it seems most developers here may not want such an idea, the reason why is what I am still trying to figure out.
Re: What If An Open Source Web Project Is Setup Today, How Will You React? by Afam(m): 6:46pm On Aug 10, 2007
prodgalson:

"But it seems most developers here may not want such an idea"
Why do you say that? My observation was the opposite, cus a lot of Nairaland users use open source tools.

Sure, a lot of users here use open source tools but how many of them are willing to create open source tools for others?

Like I stated, I am still trying to get a handle on why many do not like the idea of creating either free or dirty cheap applications for the generality of Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

You Need To See This Website. / Spam On Nairaland? / On Ftp Upload

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.