Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,766 members, 7,831,458 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? (8718 Views)

Aisha Buhari Hosts End Of The Year Gathering Of Social Media Change Agents -Pics / Nigerian Air Force Bombs “Mass Gathering” Of Boko Haram Terrorists / Pictures Of Intelligence Gathering And Surveillance Overflights By Nigerian Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 19, 2011
intelligence indeed,when money and greed has made them soft abeg make we hear word jare.every man for himself .
Nigeria, is  a dead country
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by ocelot2006(m): 9:08am On Jul 19, 2011
Βουκέφαλος:

Intelligence outfit ke? Do they even have a drone? jets? training? gadgets? the intelligence outfits would probably be using the internet for their investigation cheesy

The Intelligence services have no drones. But the Nigerian Airforce and Navy do.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by ocelot2006(m): 9:20am On Jul 19, 2011
kulutempa:

I think you are beginning to take this spending thing too far.   How much  do you really need to mount a basic surveillance operation with an agent posing as a beggar on the street.  I have given you the example of a small country like Israel which has achieved phenomenal intelligence coups compared to bigger countries like America and France, and you still keep going on about spending.  If what you are saying is right,   Saudi Arabia should have the best intelligence agency in the Middle East.  Think about it.

I think you are also wrong. If intelligence gathering was based only on surveillance ops, then the SSS has been doing it for ages, in addition to the planting moles or infiltration of operators in various groups (HUMINT). But while HUMINT is extremely important, you cannot rule out the importance of technology, particularly IT and SIGINT (electronic surveillance, satellite imagery, signal interception and decryption, etc). Even the Isrealis really heavily on these in gathering intelligence and launching operations.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by tunnytox(m): 9:25am On Jul 19, 2011
We don't actually need drones now to gather intelligence like I stated earlier getting the basic right is the key, if we maintain reliable criminal database with a littles bit of science it will assist us significantly in using criminal profiling and infiltration to keep these monsters at bay.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by kulutempa: 10:15am On Jul 19, 2011
ocelot2006:

I think you are also wrong. If intelligence gathering was based only on surveillance ops, then the SSS has been doing it for ages, in addition to the planting moles or infiltration of operators in various groups (HUMINT). But while HUMINT is extremely important, you cannot rule out the importance of technology, particularly IT and SIGINT (electronic surveillance, satellite imagery, signal interception and decryption, etc). Even the Isrealis really heavily on these in gathering intelligence and launching operations.

This is getting rather frustrating.  Where in my statement did I rule out the importance of technology or say that intelligence gathering was based only on surveillance?    I think you missed the whole point of the comment which is that spending millions on intelligence gathering/technology can only take you so far.  You still need to have human beings who need to analyse the data and come to the right conclusions.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by ikooko(m): 10:42am On Jul 19, 2011
I think what we are looking at here is intelligence gathering in practice and not in principle.   undecided undecided undecided

Most of the intelligence operators we have in this country misconstrued their status as an elevated opportunity to be above the law. Even as a layman, i can recognize an operator within 5 minutes of conversation, they are that inefficient. You can even recognize them on this thread.   sad sad sad

Few of them that are really efficient are not encouraged by their superiors because when they submit their report, they are too surprise to realized their superiors have been compromised and they are likely to be tagged uncooperative. When they are not compromised, ethnicity, politics and religion are given priority over intelligence report, too bad.  cry cry cry

Really the funding may be seen as inadequate compared to other nation but comparism as a percentage share in national expenditure is a huge share, and I see it as an avenue by those in charge to enrich themselves rather than commitment to selfless service to motherland.

If as stated above exist in our so called intelligence outfit, can they merit the nomenclature? rather i will tag them another elevated ministry which is as clueless as all our leaders.  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by monkvirus(m): 12:16pm On Jul 19, 2011
Not that we don't have intelligent Gathering outfit in Nigeria.But the problems are as follows bellow.
1.Corruption among the so-called spy/agents.
2.Lack of sophisticated gadgets/equipments.
3.Lack of update/maintenance of the gadgets that were sometimes purchased.
3.Too many white elephant projets e.t.c angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jul 19, 2011
I recommend James Hardly Chase's "Why pick on me"
A must read for the so called Nigerian Security System.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by ikooko(m): 12:56pm On Jul 19, 2011
Okoro2015:

I recommend James Hardly Chase's "Why pick on me"
A must read for the so called Nigerian Security System.

Those are fictions. even if James Bound and Jack Baur will be useless in Nigeria.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by edoyad(m): 1:34pm On Jul 19, 2011
Goodness, are we still on this topic ? Personally i'd prefer an invitation to the CIA or mossad to help improve on whatever secret policing we have going on. But then again, the big word, FUNDS.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by Bawss1(m): 2:09pm On Jul 19, 2011
Its amusing watching people here displaying their fragmented knowledge of the intelligence industry. cheesy
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by dejavu1(m): 2:15pm On Jul 19, 2011
take nothing away from the SSS and the NIA, or else we would have been in a deeper security ditch than we are now, even Cameroon would have over ran us during the Bakassi debacle. Intelligence gathering nipped it in the bud (cant give details), and some of our military boys are something else when it comes to ruling the sky and espionage reconiassance in Africa, you would be shocked at what they are capable of doing, however, much more needed to be done as far as security is concerned and it starts with YOU- when u notice something suspicious take action, that is the beginning of intelligence gathering,

1 Like

Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by ikooko(m): 2:23pm On Jul 19, 2011
Bawss1:

Its amusing watching people here displaying their fragmented knowledge of the intelligence industry.  cheesy

Mr knowledge, what has Nigeria intelligence industry done to avert the numerous security challenges in the country to the extent of security threat to Police HQ? perhaps you mean to say that their jurisdiction did not cover such intelligence areas? Stop dwelling on the principle of intelligence and wake up to reality.

Are you one of them? You may need to look at my previous post before you respond. Please educate and update us.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by edoyad(m): 3:23pm On Jul 19, 2011
ikooko:

Mr knowledge, what has Nigeria intelligence industry done to avert the numerous security challenges in the country to the extent of security threat to Police HQ? perhaps you mean to say that their jurisdiction did not cover such intelligence areas? Stop dwelling on the principle of intelligence and wake up to reality.

Are you one of them? You may need to look at my previous post before you respond. Please educate and update us.
Even if he's an intelligence man, do you really expect him to reveal it here ?

And back to your question, what did the US intelligence industry or whatever do to avert 9/11 ? These were foreigners who received flight training in the US before using that same training to attack same country.
How about the Mumbai bombings last month, what did the Indians do to prevent that ?
You talk as if this intelligence information is a guaranty that every adversity can be prevented.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by ikooko(m): 4:38pm On Jul 19, 2011
edoyad:

Even if he's an intelligence man, do you really expect him to reveal it here ?

And back to your question, what did the US intelligence industry or whatever do to avert 9/11 ? These were foreigners who received flight training in the US before using that same training to attack same country.
How about the Mumbai bombings last month, what did the Indians do to prevent that ?
You talk as if this intelligence information is a guaranty that every adversity can be prevented.

Don't get me wrong, I do not expect him to disclose his identity if he belong to any intelligence outfit, but for us to understand and appreciate the peculiarity of our circumstance on security and intelligence.
Meanwhile intelligence information in Nigeria is xterized with bureaucracy, ethnicity, religion and politics unlike USA, that is why our intelligence outfit is inefficient in my opinion. If mumbai was bombed, it means their intelligence is as lousy as ours.

But I differ in opinion that intelligence information is not a guaranty that every adversity can be prevented. Do you mean that intelligent information that will save lives and property will be ignored?
From what I read on 9/11, Pentagon and White House were also targets, but due to intelligence information those locations were prevented.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 19, 2011
@Ocelot2006
I still stand by my words that we dont have a reputable intelligence agency in nigeria.The SSS and the other various agencies are known for their brawn rather than their brain.They hardly sit down to think and analyse our security deficiencies.For example look at the way the nigerian police get their information from suspects.They would rather use physical force and torture to extract information from suspects and majority of which is false information anyway.Now do the police in the civilised world use force on a daily basis to extract information from suspects? Dude all what we have are glorified intelligence agencies.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by thoth: 9:28am On Feb 25, 2012
Intelligence gathering costs very little when you are in defensive mode,the costs comes in when you went offensive like subversion,overthrowing a goverment,inciting war or extracting national secrets.
Lets get the defensive right first.
Cuba is 15 times poorer than isreal but they have an extremely good intel outfits that can play both roles.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by thoth: 9:30am On Feb 25, 2012
Intelligence gathering costs very little when you are in defensive mode,the costs comes in when you went offensive like subversion,overthrowing a goverment,inciting war or extracting national secrets.
Lets get the defensive right first.
Cuba is 15 times poorer than isreal but they have an extremely good intel outfits that can play both roles.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by zik4ever: 10:38am On Nov 03, 2016
This was a good conversation. I wonder where we are on intelligence gathering 4 years later.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? by Femmyfestus: 1:02pm On Nov 16, 2021
zik4ever:
This was a good conversation. I wonder where we are on intelligence gathering 4 years later.
Its 9years now. Things are getter worse day by day. The intelligence agency are still slumbering

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

MASSOB Members Under-fire Over Sit-at-home Protest / SHOCKING!!! Names Of Pastors That Collected N6-billion As Bribe From PDP To Blas / May 29 Handover Ceremony: IG, Arase Orders Tight Security Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.