Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,844 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? (11204 Views)

Which Is More Important, The Course You Studied Or The Result You Came Out With? / Top 20 Nigerian CEOs And The Courses They Studied In School / Are You Practicing The Course You Studied In School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by LollySeaSide: 4:13pm On Jun 02, 2022
It all boils down to the nature of the society.
Bachelors graduates dey shade HND graduates.
Inside bachelors degree sef, medical graduates feel superior.
Even in the medicals, surgeons see themselves as more important.
Check very well and you'll discover that those who studied science related education bad mouth those who studied courses like PES, GaC, ANFE, etc.
It's called the way of life.
If you ever want to be relevant in the society, you must forget about what you studied in school and begin to look for ways to solve people's problems.
Education is not a scam, depending on your paper certificate is.
Intellectual qualification overrides paper qualification in today's world.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by TechBIogger: 4:18pm On Jun 02, 2022
Pootle:
weytin you sef dey fined for education...teaching during nysc was crazy. one day as i dey teach na so i dey shout so all my class of over 150 pupils could hear me. a combine class of economics to be precise. na so my voice crack o next thing na cough, them talk sorry tire while me hold my chest dey go staff room. i no get my voice back for the next 2weeks undecided
grin
now if you hear say teaching job dey available na to pick race cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by TechBIogger: 4:19pm On Jun 02, 2022
GiZcorp:
You're to give advice not collapse his hope. Which one is education is one of the broadest course to study. Na lie joor
you know what your problem is?
IGNORANCE
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Demigod22: 4:26pm On Jun 02, 2022
ShenTeh:
When I tell people I studied Performing Arts (loosely Theatre Arts), I see the ridicule in their eyes. It never affected my confidence one bit.

Sadly, most are poor folks who can't even sustain conversations in their own fields with you in their own fields.

Wrote GMAT for banking jobs in those days and got multiple offers. Went to banking school and came 3rd in a class of 97 people from diverse fields.

In my class, we were 25 (one now late). Everyone is relatively doing well now in various fields. (For instance, Seun Okinbaloye of Channels TV was our class rep).

Be proud. Seek knowledge and apply it. The university is supposed to be a springboard. It's just 4 (or 8 years courtesy ASUU strikes) out of the many years of your life.

My respected fellow thespian, I love you brother. I read Theatre Arts too. One love one family.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by charlesdinho7(m): 4:26pm On Jun 02, 2022
i read botany. i am glad with what i read. not everyone will read medicine, pharmacy or engineering. the main thing is that you are a graduate...

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Taroshi(m): 4:28pm On Jun 02, 2022
eslason:
I tend to be insecure about what I studied in school whenever I'm being asked...

Learn the subtle art of not giving a Bleep. I studied Microbiology in School. I also used to be insecure about it 'cos people don't know the course. Now that I make money from teaching, people ask me my discipline; I gleefully mention Microbiology.

Once you start making money from your profession, people won't care. But first, learn to not care about their opinions. For Real.

P.S.: you really sound smart from your write-up. Kudos.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by SpaceAngel: 4:28pm On Jun 02, 2022
Op, if you feel insecure due to the fact that you studied a course in education in front of others, you could upgrade your degree to doctorate level and then you introduce yourself as Dr. of whatever field you studied

This would possibly erase the inferiority complex.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Newton2024: 4:29pm On Jun 02, 2022
captainamiedi1:
guy las las all those don't matter. just get a good grade for your first degree. when you are done, you will decide what to do with your life. with a good degree and some good skills you can work anywhere. so relax, read up and learn skills join.

when i was in school i was proud of what i was studying because it's engineering but today, that shit couldn't pay bills and it hurts that i spend 5+ years studying it. na small children they reason course to study
I guess it's agricultural engineering.
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Newton2024: 4:36pm On Jun 02, 2022
eslason:
I tend to be insecure about what I studied in school whenever I'm being asked.
The moment I open up to people that I went through the education line of study, they start seeing me as less productive. They place a limit on the types of conversations we have.
I don't know why people generally take individuals who study education less seriously or less interesting.
Teaching is a noble profession and I believe that not all graduates of education are half-baked products as most people seem to think.
The society and certain individuals need to correct this terrible mindset.
I remember when I was still in school, some of my friends from other faculties would jokingly ask me how I was able to mingle with elderly looking students of education. They would say something like "how do you manage to attend lectures with all these old old faces? Are you not too brilliant to end up in this profession? Oboi go do change of course!" e.t.c.
I guess after all these small small talks, I gradually and eventually became insecure...
Please i need to hear people's opinion about this.
I can assure you that 99% of that your friends will still end up in the classroom in nursery and primary schools unless they choose yahoo. Where are jobs in Nigeria of today if not in in private schools. Two or three years after graduation, they would approach you for guidance either to go for PGDE or B.Ed.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Bouncin(m): 4:36pm On Jun 02, 2022
In as much as what I studied is really paying my bills, I do not feel that great with it. I hardly identify my self with it except when really necessary.
Na those days wey we de school we de carry course for head.
Just make sure you have money. Forget about what you studied. Why you feel bad when asked what you studied is because you are broke.
Just make money and see if people will even remember what you read or look down on you when you tell them. Even when they do, they do it in a very positive manner.
So please OP, go hustle!
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Demigod22: 4:44pm On Jun 02, 2022
OP, talking about what you study in school, if I tell you my story you will pity me.

I started with the idea of becoming a doctor like most children then I became fascinated with air and flying which made me want to study aeronautical engineering. I was passing my science related subjects like kilode.

When I got to senior secondary I fell in love with literature books of Ola Rotimi and Zulu Sofola who were professors of Theatre Arts. I started making research to know more about people who read Theatre Arts, people like Ruben Abati, Femi Osofisan, Yul Edochie, Ken Erics, and many more.

When I got to Arts class, my people were disappointed, after so much scolding they agreed I study law like my cousin who is really doing well financially and famous. My teachers collected Headboy from me and made me social prefect.

I got admitted to University to study Theatre Arts, my dream course, I was ridiculed, criticized, reproached. My lawyer cousin specifically told me that with my fine brains, I just want to waste it dancing in school.

After four years, I graduated with 4.47, I was intentionally dropped from first class, which caused a stir at that point. I succeeded, I graduated well, I endured the neglect, the disrespect and the awful jokes.

Till my dying day, I will be forever proud of Theatre Arts and I will always be grateful to me for doing what I enjoyed. Right now, I can confidently say I am a proud and charming thespian.

The love between us the coursemates, the fun, the comradeship, the hopes, the hunger and lack, the sleepless nights, the rehearsal stress and the constant reading of plays and novels.

A wise man once said" it doesn't matter what we legally choose to do, everyone will celebrate us when we succeed"

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by SoaringLife01: 4:46pm On Jun 02, 2022
Why should you feel insecure because of you studied education.
Bro, go online and take up freelancing job as a teacher
You can teach students overseas right from the comfort of your home.
Also look at developing educational videos and sell on Udemy.
Teachers are the bedrock of all professions.
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Bbbw: 4:46pm On Jun 02, 2022
No
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Pootle: 5:14pm On Jun 02, 2022
TechBIogger:
grin
now if you hear say teaching job dey available na to pick race cheesy

i no fit kon get davido voice cos of say i dey teach

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Saig: 5:44pm On Jun 02, 2022
I think some of the education students brought that stereotype upon themselves by being less serious compared to their counterparts in other disciplines.

I teach education students some courses and men it hasn't been funny. I do tell them you people are forcing me to believe this belief about you that you are not serious
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by onyekaokechukwu: 6:05pm On Jun 02, 2022
[quote author=extremophile post=113405224][/quote]

I will employ an uneducated bricklayer.

You can employ the educated one.

Any problems with that?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by pegix(m): 6:48pm On Jun 02, 2022
captainamiedi1:
guy las las all those don't matter. just get a good grade for your first degree. when you are done, you will decide what to do with your life. with a good degree and some good skills you can work anywhere. so relax, read up and learn skills join.

when i was in school i was proud of what i was studying because it's engineering but today, that shit couldn't pay bills and it hurts that i spend 5+ years studying it. na small children they reason course to study
u get sense..

All these under 20 guys

When reality hit you
U will surely realise it doesn't matter
For some it would be late to know

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by McLizbae: 7:03pm On Jun 02, 2022
All I know is: is better for you to have a 1st class in education, than 3rd or even second class in sciences, law, or engineering.
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by NaijaCars4sale: 7:05pm On Jun 02, 2022
Don't allow people bother you, just be yourself
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jun 02, 2022
planetE:
No course is completely useless. Those that studied law and medicine will also need the services of those that studied fencing and wiring. Every course is unique on its own but the poor payment system that is attached to some professions and the public view about them have rendered them useless and irrelevant.
Useless,only in Nigeria
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by DARLINGTON869(m): 8:12pm On Jun 02, 2022
Sirchiboy:
Can you recommend me the business you are into?

I am into table water production bro

T O DARLING
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Sirchiboy: 8:19pm On Jun 02, 2022
DARLINGTON869:

I am into table water production bro

T O DARLING
How much will it cost me to venture into it?
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by captainamiedi1: 8:21pm On Jun 02, 2022
Newton2024:
I guess it's agricultural engineering.

I studied marine engineering
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Cousin9999: 8:40pm On Jun 02, 2022
No.

It's immature and uneducated to have that mentality.
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by dreamxhaser: 8:59pm On Jun 02, 2022
dpete1:
It's sad we live in a World Where People say hurtful things without minding the Consequence.
This is the Same Way People Downgrade Polytechnic Graduates.

When I went for My 1 Year Industrial Training, there was this Masters Holder I met, man couldn't even perform what I, a ND holder can perform

Mr man it depends on the individual not school.

You poly students like to suit your stupid egos, but reality has it that university is by far ahead.
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by RIDOO: 9:09pm On Jun 02, 2022
oofjm:
that is before....not any longer.....those of us that study so called higher courses.....is the course paying us....

Abi o ..... When l was in school l thought the name of my school and the course l studied will bring an automatic job but how wrong l was ....l searched for job for years without finding any.
Gone are the days when those things matters..but now na who you know ...so it's of no use feeling bad about your course of study.
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by SPOLO(m): 9:09pm On Jun 02, 2022
Me I don't care o.
I am an undergraduate of Mathematical sciences.
Whenever people ask me what course and I fell them it's maths, some will shoot that hmm u try o....some will be like u get mind o.

Some will be saying no be only teaching....me I don't care....
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by GiZcorp: 11:23pm On Jun 02, 2022
TechBIogger:
you know what your problem is?
IGNORANCE
Thanks. I will work on it, but stop thinking you know too much thereby misleading people.
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by HiFive: 7:35am On Jun 03, 2022
Dino studied Thievery and Thievery and it's paying him well grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by DARLINGTON869(m): 11:39am On Jun 03, 2022
Sirchiboy:

08038950142 chat me up on Whatsapp
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by DARLINGTON869(m): 11:41am On Jun 03, 2022
Sirchiboy:

Chat me up on 08038950142
Re: Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School? by Danielilo01(m): 11:42am On Jun 03, 2022
planetE:
I studied crop science in the varsity but nah bombing I dey take chop now. Sooner, I will diversify into crop production and livestock rearing from the proceeds of my bombing. No regret so far
you dey spread vawulence

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kogi Civil Servant Returns N1.7m Paid In Excess Of Salary / Medical Doctor Relocating To Nigeria Needs Advice / 7 Ways To Effectively Manage Your Time In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.