Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,812 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Please I Need Your Meek And Candid Suggestion/advise On My Case. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Please I Need Your Meek And Candid Suggestion/advise On My Case. (1405 Views)

Port Harcourt; Please I Need Your Suggestion On Places To Visit In Port Harcourt / Employed But Relocating To Canada, Candid Advice Needed! / Please Advise On Which Country To Go For Honeymoon (dubai, SA Or London) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Your Meek And Candid Suggestion/advise On My Case. by ejikeben: 1:16am On Jul 19, 2011
It goes this way, I have a 2 year multiple visa to US, though visiting visa. I have always wanted to travel to US back in the school days before I got to know that the're many types of visa. To be honest with you, what I want is to reside in Us permanently and possible have my future children born in US.
My problem is how do I change my status knowing fully that with visiting visa finding a job would be almost impossible. I told a friend about it and he suggested I get myself enrolled in one of the schools as soon as I arrived US so as to get my visa renewed when it expires, though I thought of it and found Metropolitan community college Omaha, nebraska and the school authority has assured me of the change of status.
I was also told that I could change my status by marriage, but earnestly speaking I have a woman here in Nigeria whom I have proposed and would'nt want to disappoint and our marriage has been fixed for November 2011.

Please my fellow patriotic Nigerians what would you suggest or advice on this issue as related to legalizing my stay in US. Are there any possible means of getting papers other than marriage .
Your opinion and suggestion would be so much appreciated.
Re: Please I Need Your Meek And Candid Suggestion/advise On My Case. by COSIBI: 1:52am On Jul 19, 2011
my case is exactly same with the poster's. Tho mine is a 3month single entry. I'm not about leaving u.s in a hurry. Pls advice!
Re: Please I Need Your Meek And Candid Suggestion/advise On My Case. by frankkky: 8:24am On Jul 19, 2011
@cosibi hmmmm what you have here is a very diffcult thing but not impossbile,before i give you my advise,can you answer the following questions, when were you given the visa?have you travelled to the US before if yes did you keep to the timelimit on the visa?how old are you?what skills or educational qulifications do you have?any relations in the US?answer and i will tell you what to do
Re: Please I Need Your Meek And Candid Suggestion/advise On My Case. by COSIBI: 1:16pm On Jul 22, 2011
got the visa last month. Its my 1st time out d shores of 9ja. I'm a bsc holder. Was working as a security supervisor b4 i left 4 d U.S. I'm 30. Yes i have a married cousin in houston.
Re: Please I Need Your Meek And Candid Suggestion/advise On My Case. by paris10: 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2011
Now listen @ejikeben and @COSIBI, You both are in a precarious situation and need a honest advice and suggestion. It is very difficult to regularize your stay in the US with a visitors visa, but as the going say 'there's just about a way out in every situation'.

Your options:

1. Get a college and enrol yourself with a course that would lead to a degree, then apply for a student visa using Form I-539. Do so b4 your visa expires. But you must satisfy USCIS (DHS) that you can finance yourself throughout your course duration, but some colleges do help in filing application for the students, this is the best way.

You do not need to change your status if you're the child of a diplomat, a temporary worker, an exchange visitor or a child of someone who's currently studying.

2. If you can get a professional job within the time limit of your stay, then your status can be changed. I know it's kinda hard to get a job with a visitors visa, but through friend recommendation, you can get one. Your potential employer would then file in a Non-immigrant Temporary Worker Petition for you. H-2 form would be used. But if you are an intelligent person with gifts in Arts, science, education etc, you don't need an employer, use form O-1

3. The easier way out, get a citizen and marry wink

Hope this helps
Re: Please I Need Your Meek And Candid Suggestion/advise On My Case. by LaNiger(m): 3:42pm On Jul 22, 2011
Ejikeben:  sorry to tell you this, there is no way to modify your visa without going back to Nigeria.  Even if you were to enroll in a college or get married you have a couple of potential obstacles to clear.  You can no longer adjust your visa in the U.S either as a student or a visitor without leaving the U.S.  

Secondly, you have to convince an immigration officer that you did not intend to get married in the U.S, which is FRAUD.  I would personally advice you to keep to your visa's restrictions.  It is almost impossible to get a job in the U.S now without the proper papers.  Illegal immigration from Mexico is at an all time low, because they realize that the economic situation no longer provides those opportunities.

It is a very hard life working in the U.S without papers and would say you are almost better off living in Nigeria.  I don't expect you to listen to my advice but I hope it influences you in some way.  

Good Luck and all the best as you determine your next steps.
Re: Please I Need Your Meek And Candid Suggestion/advise On My Case. by paris10: 3:54pm On Jul 22, 2011
LaNiger:

Ejikeben:  sorry to tell you this, there is no way to modify your visa without going back to Nigeria.  Even if you were to enroll in a college or get married you have a couple of potential obstacles to clear.  You can no longer adjust your visa in the U.S either as a student or a visitor without leaving the U.S.  

Secondly, you have to convince an immigration officer that you did not intend to get married in the U.S, which is FRAUD.  I would personally advice you to keep to your visa's restrictions.  It is almost impossible to get a job in the U.S now without the proper papers.  Illegal immigration from Mexico is at an all time low, because they realize that the economic situation no longer provides those opportunities.

It is a very hard life working in the U.S without papers and would say you are almost better off living in Nigeria.  I don't expect you to listen to my advice but I hope it influences you in some way.  

Good Luck and all the best as you determine your next steps.

Pls Ignore @LaNiger's post. If you don't know anything about immigration pls don't come to this forum and confuse people. Who told you it's now impossible to regularize your stay with a visitors visa? I've not only given them the way out, I have also given them the acceptable ways issued from the USCIS (check the wbsite), with the exception of the 3rd option I mentioned.

Connect with the right people and all will be well. DHS would never advise a visitor's visa holder to get married in the first place in order to regularize their stay, common sense should tell you that. Only the wise survive and those that are proactive excel.
Re: Please I Need Your Meek And Candid Suggestion/advise On My Case. by bukaldrinio(m): 7:24am On Mar 17, 2018
Please brothers I'm on AP since December 2017...my wife is us citizen after interview i got approved but they sent my passport back next day that I have to do high court divorce verification which I did after they ask for my billadings cos I do import cars....uptill now I haven't heard from them
Re: Please I Need Your Meek And Candid Suggestion/advise On My Case. by bukaldrinio(m): 7:30am On Mar 17, 2018
I'm on ap since December how do I go about it my wife in a us citizen

(1) (Reply)

Buying Electronics From Abroad? Is It Worth It? / When They Deport You From Dubai, Europe And America At The Same Time (photo) / See What A Girl Wore To Board A Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.