Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,287 members, 7,836,268 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% (5091 Views)

Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% / Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airports Over Increased Fares / Air Fares Fall As New Local Operators Board (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by DeepSoul(f): 1:25pm On Jul 19, 2011

This is in ADDITION to the annoying PSC they now charge for N2,500 (Lagos airports) and N1,000!! (other airports)

Aero sef no dey help person like that again. Been trying to book a flight for more than a month away and it's 19k!

E be like say ABC will get back to business once more!
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by dellnet: 1:54pm On Jul 19, 2011
Deep Soul:

E be like say ABC will get back to business once more!

ABC or gentlemen of the highway?
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by otondo55: 1:58pm On Jul 19, 2011
[b]Whats this nation turning into, do you say someone is leading here ?

Its Pathetic !!!
[/b]
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by igwe4life(m): 2:38pm On Jul 19, 2011
Lets do a little Maths:

One word Corruption

Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by hbrednic: 2:57pm On Jul 19, 2011
why complain when there are other options,
must you try be air localy,abeg make we hear better thing.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 19, 2011
@dblessed
Do I know you? Did u give testimony in church last Sunday about getting a big job? Something about running the legal department of some company?
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by hardbody: 4:50pm On Jul 19, 2011
I booked a few local trips in advance with Aero (basically LOS - ABV and LOS - PHC) will there be changes considering i had concluded online payments and stuff? Just curious. ( i think those bookings were in the range of 12k or so.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by darqly(m): 5:21pm On Jul 19, 2011
But airfares seem to only ever go up in Nigeria, aren't there times when JetA1 is abundantly available and we get a rebate? Did a round trip Lagos-yola just last week, needless to say I was flustered by the cost. Literally an arm and both legs, barely made it back home.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by blackmann(m): 5:47pm On Jul 19, 2011
I'm gradually beginning to lose hope in this country of ours called Nigeria. the stories i have been hearing coming out of there are really nothing to write home about.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by cashanna(f): 5:52pm On Jul 19, 2011
I am new to this site. Can some tell me how this works
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by hillsate: 10:02pm On Jul 19, 2011
Fresh air?
just light the fire extinguish them
just light the fire extinguish them
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by silkywave(f): 11:02pm On Jul 19, 2011
That's serious
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by anishe(m): 11:09pm On Jul 19, 2011
but you all voted for jonathan and not pdp. no need to complain.u voted for it.
breath of fresh air.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by arababy: 12:36am On Jul 20, 2011
gosh, i wish someone will just take addressing the railway, or lack thereof seriously. if our options were wider, i would'nt even notice that air fare has been hiked. cry
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by otokx(m): 4:04am On Jul 20, 2011
Railway like Nepa has major legal draw backs.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by ProfJYK(m): 7:31am On Jul 20, 2011
Reference:

Said it times without number that air transport is a fish out of water in Nigeria. It is just too sophisticated for us to manage. The reasons are simple. Everywhere in the world air transport is driven by the economy and supported by extensive infrastructure both public and private which we don't have. When the economy goes up airlines become marginally profitable. When there is a downturn they merge or collapse in debt. And when I mean economy I mean travel for business or pleasure (to do deals or head to the beach) we cannot afford either. The Nigerian economy has never really improved so i don't expect the airline industry to develop. That is why the high turnover of airlines, that is why incident liabilities such as insurance payments cripple them. A bad accident and its all over. Unfortunately its has also been the grave yard for the loot of many a political office holders and patrons, too many to mention. It has never been a serious business.

Now that airlines have upped the ante (not altogether because of high aviation fuel but also because banks have to call back the massive amounts of cash - they too have to survive in the face of dwindling handouts by their wealthy shadowy patrons) it spells the death knell for most of them. First, it will only cut the number of those traveling by air and make the cost of doing business for those who remain loyal much higher. Certainly not what you want to do at this time when the economy remain weak. And as the planes empty the average number of planes per airline may fall further leading to larger over heads and a vicious downward cycle.

I've said it before the only way out is for airlines to voluntarily merge or the government should compel them to more stringent operational conditions such as cutting unprofitable routes, setting a minimum limit to the number of seats each airline is permitted to operate daily and investing in infrastructure to eliminate these foreign trips for services. It will be difficult to bring all of them on board and overcome certain egos but the reality is plain before them.

YYOU HAVE SAID IT ALL. I have even been wondering how they have been coping in an economy like this till our honourable minister told us that Kerosene (subsidised Aviation Fuel) for our food is being illegally diverted to fly our big men at affordable rates while the vast majority cant even eat well cooked beans.

i once saw an arik plane fly with 11 passengers , i was alarmed till a friend told me it was a usual occurence as they dont do rebates and promos, even with thier poor ancillary drives, they are still flying.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by ProfJYK(m): 7:43am On Jul 20, 2011
i am a big supporter of capitalism but seeing how much Bi-Courtney and Maevis are bleeding air travellers, i dont think we are ready for it. Maevis gets about 30percent of revenue collected for FAAN. immagine 30percent. with Bi-Courtney as concessionaires for Lagos Ibadan exp way, land travel will witness its own price hike.

See big babes and guys begging for lifts after using thier taxi fare for PSC.

una dey complain about the "foul" fresh fresh air when the airconditioner just they warm up, wait let it get to full steam. maybe then the bush meat will really make attempts at catching the hunter
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by Nosyke(m): 6:55pm On Jul 20, 2011
This is good news for ABC transport company.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by cap28: 10:20pm On Jul 20, 2011
hope you guys are having fun with GEJ's economic reforms brought to you courtesy of his friends over at the world bank and the IMF - FRESH AIR FOLKS!!!! ENJOY grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by hackney(m): 10:39am On Jul 21, 2011
The hike is crazy.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by tlops(m): 7:01pm On Jul 21, 2011
mean while you could travel within europe with as low as NGN 50 (fifty naira) with low budget flights.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by noblegas2(m): 11:06am On Jul 22, 2011
GEJ, a breathe of Fresh -_- ‎​​=))º°˚˚˚°ºнaĦaнaº°˚˚˚°º‎​=)) . God is our only regulator!!!
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by member479760: 11:34am On Jul 27, 2011
what can we do? still cheap, afterall we can't:
make plane;
make fuel;
in short make anything but we want to live like human being.

(1) (2) (Reply)

F U C K NAIRALAND / Nigerian Shares Wife With American For Green Card / Canada 'chop Aduro'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.