Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,006 members, 7,863,634 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 10:07 PM

Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 (84867 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by chamotex(m): 7:20am On Aug 23, 2011
Fergie :

"Danny made slow progress because when he was growing he had Osgood-Schlatter's, that knee-growth condition, and it was always a case of we're going to have to wait for him. When we put him on loan to Sunderland, I think that's when he became a man.

"He's still only 20 years of age and he's got a great future, the lad. He's a big rangy, long-legged boy who can gallop really quickly. Once he gets his legs going, he's quick. He's a good footballer, he's got a great attitude when he loses the ball, a tremendous attitude to win it back."

I think this is one of the reasons why Welbeck is in the team at the moment.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 8:10am On Aug 23, 2011
Just wondering how Arsenal fans will be feeling judging from the average age of yesterday's squad. . .
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by DoubleN(m): 8:18am On Aug 23, 2011
StarBoard:

Phil Jones is a BEAST. . .
\
The boy is indeed a beast!! shocked That Boy is going to send Rio into early retirement if care is not taken! grin.
Special praise also goes out to Tom Cleverly,Ashley Young,Chris Smalling and Anderson. As for Nani, the dude is one step away from getting a beating by his team mates!
I fear for other teams in the league cos with this kind of youth and depth present in Utd, the sky is surely the limit.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Emperoh(m): 8:31am On Aug 23, 2011
ritchboy:

Wenger is bringing a secret weapon grin

Of course, the one he took used against Liverfool!!!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by nateevs(m): 8:35am On Aug 23, 2011
nateevs:

Hmmm. Berbatov rested again!

chamotex:

Welbeck scored one and assisted another . . . he deserves his place in the team at the moment

coogar:

welbeck was rubbish until his goal.

Hmmm.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by MrTA(m): 8:41am On Aug 23, 2011
Very happy with the youthful squad were playing lately. I still want the older players to be part of the squad though. Arsenal game is important as always. We all know these big games are never straight forward but we'll be going in very confident especially at home.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by nateevs(m): 8:59am On Aug 23, 2011
chamotex:

"He's still only 20 years of age and he's got a great future, the lad. He's a big rangy, long-legged boy who can gallop really quickly. Once he gets his legs going, he's quick. He's a good footballer, he's got a great attitude when he loses the ball, a tremendous attitude to win it back."

I think this is one of the reasons why Welbeck is in the team at the moment.

You think? You didn't think this was what Fergie had seen way before the Comm shield game. I remember telling you just after that game that just maybe Fergie has seen something that you haven't seen. I am of the opinion that you are seeing the realities of Fergie's thoughts 3 games late. However you insisted Berba was rested.

But hey! Who am I to argue? Coogar says it's illogical to argue that your golden boot striker is bench-warming if not that he is being rested. My question is how about 3 games later? Is it still illogical?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by MrTA(m): 9:37am On Aug 23, 2011
You've seen Berbatov run, maybe once last season so he needs alot of rest. tongue
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by georessah(m): 11:09am On Aug 23, 2011
chamotex:

Just watched that second goal again . . . the attack was actually started by De Gea from the back.
His ball distribution looks really good.
Exactly! I wonder why a lot of people seem to forget this fact. People only keep referring to his errors forgetting about his distribution. Reina also has a similar ability to quickly start attacks.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 11:18am On Aug 23, 2011
nateevs:

You think? You didn't think this was what Fergie had seen way before the Comm shield game. I remember telling you just after that game that just maybe Fergie has seen something that you haven't seen. I am of the opinion that you are seeing the realities of Fergie's thoughts 3 games late. However you insisted Berba was rested.

berbatov is being rested. . . .
this is the exact time for fergie to bed in his fledglings when the race is just starting.
chicharito was fit yesterday but he could only start from the bench, is welbeck also better than hernandez?

giggs? js park? carrick? all rested!!!
that a player is on the bench in man utd does not necessarily mean he is washed up. . . .man utd don't have a starting xi. . . .we have not used the same starting xi in about 200 games now.

But hey! Who am I to argue? Coogar says it's illogical to argue that your golden boot striker is bench-warming if not that he is being rested. My question is how about 3 games later? Is it still illogical?

it's still illogical.
giggs has been rested until yesterday and when he came on. . . . he got an assist(that's the quality united keep on the bench when they want to).
when was the last time js-park played? fergie kept them on the bench to show-off the future of man utd. with berbatov and giggs on the pitch, the whole chest-beating about united's average age of 22 would have been impossible.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by allboyz(m): 11:29am On Aug 23, 2011
Just passing by sha. . . .peep into the thread and shocked shocked shocked
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 11:46am On Aug 23, 2011
allboyz:

Just passing by sha. . . .peep into the thread and  shocked shocked shocked

instead of wandering about like the people of bolton. . . . .go and fix the smelly wound on arsenal's arse. grin

-------
-------
sir alex ferguson, please sign sneijder this week.
don't be deceived by yesterday's performance by the rookies. it's one thing battering spurs who were knackered from playing in the midweek, it's another thing facing the zombies in munich or the boys from catalonia.

sign sneijder now!!!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by georessah(m): 11:50am On Aug 23, 2011
coogar:

berbatov is being rested. . . .
this is the exact time for fergie to bed in his fledglings when the race is just starting.
chicharito was fit yesterday but he could only start from the bench, is welbeck also better than hernandez?

giggs? js park? carrick? all rested!!!
that a player is on the bench in man utd does not necessarily mean he is washed up. . . .man utd don't have a starting xi. . . .we have not used the same starting xi in about 200 games now.

it's still illogical.
giggs has been rested until yesterday and when he came on. . . . he got an assist(that's the quality united keep on the bench when they want to).
when was the last time js-park played? fergie kept them on the bench to show-off the future of man utd. with berbatov and giggs on the pitch, the whole chest-beating about united's average age of 22 would have been impossible.
Well I do not think it is all left to showing off the future of Man Utd. Ferguson certainly doesn't do that. He had a league match to win and he used the best available players.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 11:55am On Aug 23, 2011
georessah:

Well I do not think it is all left to showing off the future of Man Utd. Ferguson certainly doesn't do that. He had a league match to win and he used the best available players.

best available players? huh?
you think fergie would play the same starting xi if we were playing barcelona in champs league knock-out game?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by allboyz(m): 11:56am On Aug 23, 2011
coogar:

instead of wandering about like the people of bolton. . . . .go and fix the smelly wound on arsenal's arse. grin

Let the Arsenal management go ahead and Buy Panadol. . . .

embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 23, 2011
coogar:

don't be deceived by yesterday's performance by the rookies. it's one thing battering spurs who were knackered from playing in the midweek, it's another thing facing the zombies in munich or the boys from catalonia.

sign sneijder now!!!
Seconded.I feel it's rather late though. . .
allboyz:

Let the Arsenal management go ahead and Buy Panadol. . . .
And your point is?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by georessah(m): 12:21pm On Aug 23, 2011
coogar:

best available players? huh?
you think fergie would play the same starting xi if we were playing barcelona in champs league knock-out game?
Aw man, not this Barca hang-over again. Look I am sure the defeat to Barca in the champs league final was quite devastating but that belongs to the past now. Do we have to keep referring to Barca in any conversation regarding United's future? I know a lot of people use Barca as the standard nowadays but United does play an attractive brand of football. This Barca hang-over surely must be over by now?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 1:00pm On Aug 23, 2011
georessah:

Aw man, not this Barca hang-over again. Look I am sure the defeat to Barca in the champs league final was quite devastating but that belongs to the past now. Do we have to keep referring to Barca in any conversation regarding United's future? I know a lot of people use Barca as the standard nowadays but United does play an attractive brand of football. This Barca hang-over surely must be over by now?
It's because we should be where Barca is. . .They have set the bar. . .till we reach it,I'm afraid that name is gonna be popping up pretty regularly.
Sneijder is a must if we want to start getting rid of the Barca mantra
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by chamotex(m): 1:07pm On Aug 23, 2011
nateevs:

Can you bring the quote out cos I cant remember you saying this.

Welbeck has been performing since pre-season and also for the last couple of games . . . what kind of message will Fergie be sending out to him if he dropped him just like that. Let Berba get his fitness back and fight for his place. Remember that Berba had an ankle injury which disrupted his pre-season.

Park was on the bench yesterday, if we were to play Barcelona tomorrow, his name will be first on the team sheet for the midfield positions.
What was your definition of 'dropped' in the context you used it as anyway? Berba was dropped due to poor performance?  undecided undecided
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by georessah(m): 1:21pm On Aug 23, 2011
StarBoard:

It's because we should be where Barca is. . .They have set the bar. . .till we reach it,I'm afraid that name is gonna be popping up pretty regularly.
Sneijder is a must if we want to start getting rid of the Barca mantra

Nothing wrong with aspiring to reach Barca's level as they are clearly way ahead of us. But this obsession with Barca borders on paranoia. Every United team selection is followed by "could we play this same side against Barca?" The team that played against Tottenham was the best available side and the key words here are "best" and "available". The team might not have been the best team we could put out there or the only available team we could put out there. My emphasis was on a combination of the best that we had and the most available. Fergie likes taking risks but he does so for the long term. We had a game to win last night and we won it with the best available team.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 23, 2011
I think coogar's question is very valid in the context.
As much as we are celebrating the new generation,let us not kid ourselves yet:these youngsters have a long way to go;.
If we found ourselves in the deeper end of the CL,would you prsecute the assignment with the team that started yesterday?
If your answer is no,then there's no need to querry what you see as "paranoia".
By the way,the team we fielded yesterday cannot be the best available,especially when I look to the bench.Fergie is trying to strike a psychological blow at his rivals by fielding a youthful team,just to show we have real strength in depth.Nothing more.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by georessah(m): 1:52pm On Aug 23, 2011
StarBoard:

I think coogar's question is very valid in the context.
As much as we are celebrating the new generation,let us not kid ourselves yet:these youngsters have a long way to go;.
If we found ourselves in the deeper end of the CL,would you prsecute the assignment with the team that started yesterday?
If your answer is no,then there's no need to querry what you see as "paranoia".
By the way,the team we fielded yesterday cannot be the best available,especially when I look to the bench.Fergie is trying to strike a psychological blow at his rivals by fielding a youthful team,just to show we have real strength in depth.Nothing more.
I'm sure you do realize that my thoughts on this issue have been that of cautious optimism. I know this is a very youthful set of players and blending is what Ferguson does best. I'm sure he must have been a cook in his past life, lol, just kidding. I say "available" while you keep focusing on "best". Some of the regular team members didn't play because they were simply unavailable. Giggs doesn't play week in week out. Park is good but used strategically to start certain games. Hernandez we all know is just coming back from injury while Carrick and Fletcher have to fight for their spot especially Fletcher who had been on the sidelines for quite some time now. Berbatov? Well, what can Is say?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by MrTA(m): 2:00pm On Aug 23, 2011
coogar:

-------
-------

sign sneijder now!!!

Sorry, SAF said to let you know that he forgot his nairaland password. wink

Sneijder isnt happening. Get yourself prepared for this. We're still just about good enough at home but we will fall short in Europe unless UEFA orders Barcelona to disband for being too good.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 23, 2011
georessah:

I'm sure you do realize that my thoughts on this issue have been that of cautious optimism. I know this is a very youthful set of players and blending is what Ferguson does best. I'm sure he must have been a cook in his past life, lol, just kidding. I say "available" while you keep focusing on "best". Some of the regular team members didn't play because they were simply unavailable. Giggs doesn't play week in week out. Park is good but used strategically to start certain games. Hernandez we all know is just coming back from injury while Carrick and Fletcher have to fight for their spot especially Fletcher who had been on the sidelines for quite some time now. Berbatov? Well, what can Is say?
To me last night's team could have been better,regardless of whatever reasons those on the bench sat there.
The fact they were on the bench makes them available,so I still think the question of measuring ourselves to the best around is valid and necessary.
Fergie doesn't have much more time left,and I think he needs to win a CL title once more at the expense of Barca (doesn't mean we should beat them enroute;it only means we need to win the CL while this present crop of the wizards from Catalunya place exist).
Mr_TA:

Sneijder isnt happening. Get yourself prepared for this. We're still just about good enough at home but we will fall short in Europe unless UEFA orders Barcelona to disband for being too good.
Lol,but if you were a United fan,I'm guessing you'd want us to win the CL. . .right?
Sneijder needs to be signed,sooner rather than later.A year later and he might not have the same desired effect for us
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 2:14pm On Aug 23, 2011
Mr_TA:

sneijder will happen and it should happen. . . . . .

thiago alcantara is better than any of our rookies, his development did not stop barcelona from paying over the odds to get cesc and alexi sanchez.
this is a team that already has iniesta, xavi, busquets and keita in their team.

injuries will come. . . . .i don't expect anderson/cleverley to play 60 odd games this season. it's now that they are developing we can sign a world class midfielder to nurture them and teach them how to really run a midfield. city has just signed nasri. . . .chelsea are on to mata. united must sign sneijder now.

georessah:

it wasn't me that raised the bar. . . .barcelona did and fergie promised to take the challenge. . . .

fergie said this. . . .
"The challenge is always to improve yourselves," he said. "Over the years, we've done OK when confronted by things like this, and taking [Barcelona] on is another challenge. We've some very good players and, of course, where we start to find a way forward is something we'll mull over the summer. We're not lacking in ideas . Hopefully we'll come up with the right ones.

"You shouldn't be afraid of a challenge. We want to improve. Of course, next season, we must improve even more. But we have a challenge with Barcelona. We all do. It's no consolation being the second-best team. I don't enjoy being second-best. Any club with the history we have – Real Madrid, Milan – they'd say the same."

fergie's next challenge is to knock barcelona off their perch. . . . .i don't care if we win the league again this season or not.
the victories are tasteless these days. . . .it's becoming a bore. united win 20th league title will not excite me as united beating barcelona in the semi finals or the final of the champions league. . . . .i dunno about you but the champions league is more important this season than the league.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by chamotex(m): 2:16pm On Aug 23, 2011
The British press already w@nking over Danny Welbeck . . . you would think the guy is Messi already.
The media needs to chill out. He isn't there yet.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 2:25pm On Aug 23, 2011
chamotex:

The British press already w@nking over Danny Welbeck . . . you would think the guy is Messi already.
The media needs to chill out. He isn't there yet.

praise him to high heavens then smash him down when he has a poor game.
in pecking order, he is below rooney, berbatov, hernandez and owen.
not sure if he's better than kiko. i will put that as 50/50.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by mbulela: 2:31pm On Aug 23, 2011
Here we go again.
Welbeck,Jones and Cleverely are all good but it is still very early days.
two games does not make a legend.
it is still early days but the signs are good.
no more,no less.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by mbulela: 2:32pm On Aug 23, 2011
coogar:

not sure if he's better than kiko. i will put that as 50/50.
in my view,he is way better than Kiko.
with 5 strikers already,kiko and Diouf will leave before the window closes.
together with Gibson.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 2:42pm On Aug 23, 2011
mbulela:

in my view,he is way better than Kiko.
with 5 strikers already,kiko and Diouf will leave before the window closes.
together with Gibson.

show us your evidence. . . .
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by montelik(m): 2:48pm On Aug 23, 2011
We still could do with another capable player in central midfield. Ando looks fired up at this moment, but fatigue, dips in form and injuries will eventually affect him, and it would be unfair to toss Cleverley in to d deep end of hot derbies and ucl knockout matches in his 1st full season. Carrick & Fletcher are also showing their age with their recent injury lay-offs and can't make as many quality appearances as before. Rooney still drops very, very deep to help kick start our play frequently, which just shows we are missing a bit centrally. Giggs can perform this role reasonably when required, but relying on him has significant risks attached.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by georessah(m): 2:48pm On Aug 23, 2011
mbulela:

Here we go again.
Welbeck,Jones and Cleverely are all good but it is still very early days.
two games does not make a legend.
it is still early days but the signs are good.
no more,no less.
But who is making them out to be legends? Why can't we praise our own? Praise them when they do well because it builds their confidence especially being young players. English media will always be the same because this is the national sport, for crying out loud! Everything about football is hyped in England likewise basketball and baseball being hyped in the US by the American media.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (100)

Manchester United Vs Liverpool (0 - 5) On 24th October 2021 / Arsenal Vs Chelsea :FA Cup Final (2 - 1) On 27th May 2017 / Manchester United Vs Chelsea : FA Cup Semi-final - (1 - 3) On 19th July 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.