Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,024 members, 7,838,571 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts (12392 Views)

World Bank Predicts Sharp Fall In Nigeria’s GDP / World Bank To FG: Reform Now To Stop Further Slide Into Extreme Poverty / 1.1m Nigerians Slip Into Extreme Poverty In Four Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Nobody: 11:57am On Jun 12, 2022
Normalmente na! Them white folks always like to predict bad things for Africa..its not their fault..its kuku our useless leaders fault..
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Obyino: 12:13pm On Jun 12, 2022
If you like don't vote for Peter Obi
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by MrPresident1: 12:18pm On Jun 12, 2022
Extreme poverty is moving its temporary headquarters from Africa to its permanent headquarters in America and Europe. Permanent hq building is now complete
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Emma4real333(m): 12:25pm On Jun 12, 2022
Panda7:

ur papa wey no get sense. go there make europeans feed you. mumu

cool
I wish you get sense so I can further more in educating you.

BST
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Freelancerx: 12:37pm On Jun 12, 2022
I won't be among them sha because I'll continue to use Yellow Card App to trade crypto as their rates are friendly.
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by kingyakos: 12:45pm On Jun 12, 2022
You won't find the okpolor eye urchins on this thread.
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:43pm On Jun 12, 2022
Lawlab254:
No thanks to the Nigerian government that thinks sharing 10k naira to market women in the name of tradermoni would lift them out of poverty. Is it the 30k N-power thing that means employment? Something that is even temporary. After the duration, the beneficiaries fall back into unemployment. The 30k engagement is even underemployment.

This shows you don't understand these schemes.

These schemes are not in place to lift people out of povery. At least, that is not their core purpose.

Trademoni exists to provide access to interest-free loans. Loans are given to assist people, not necessarily to lift them out of poverty.

And N-power is not an employment scheme, but an empowerment scheme.

The Nigerian government also thinks that feeding school children is a solution to food security crisis, malnutrition and hunger. The school children can starve during the weekends and holidays. If the government truly enabled the parents of those kids, there wouldn't have been need for such wastage in the name of school feeding. A policy that is not even sustainable and that would be abandoned by the next government.

And the school feeding program is not primarily for addressing food insecurity, but for allowing local manufacturers and service people thrive. Our own farmers are provided markets for their produce, and food vendors, cooks and servers are linked to consumers or a market in need of their services.

As if that wasn't enough, a certain candidate in the next presidential election thinks that the cure for unemployment and insecurity is to recruit 50 million youths into the army, and feed them with Cassava and Agbado. . . To create demand and supply. How brilliant is that?

I don't know why Tinubu has been so widely misunderstood.

If you listen to the whole speech, you will see that Tinubu was not addressing unemployment in isolation, but rather with regards to banditry and terrorism.

To paraphrase what he said: Tinubu said that we are underpoliced (this is a major problem), and yet bandits and terrorists are competing with the federal government for youth. This is a reality. Imagine the number of unemployed people daily being recruited into Boko Haram, ISWAP, and other such criminal organizations. These people should rather be in the employment of the federal government. And if you ask what they should be fed with? Food, of course. We should grow our own food, patronize our own farmers. That way, you tackle many things at the same time. You tackle unemployment.

If demand for our local foods rise, the farmers will be forced to produce more, and this will in turn cause a rise in supply to meet demand, and erase scarcity. With an increase in supply to meet demand, food prices will fall, and that way, we can reduce inflation.

1 Like

Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by nedekid: 1:47pm On Jun 12, 2022
Abdul05:
he is sick that and this..bla,bla,....

Can you guarantee your own health? No being can't do that only God.. grin

Next time..write English without an insult..pls

It is genetic to your tribe l know.. but try
And what tribe is he that insults is generic to?
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Lawlab254: 2:56pm On Jun 12, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

I don't know why Tinubu has been so widely misunderstood.

If you listen to the whole speech, you will see that Tinubu was not addressing unemployment in isolation, but rather with regards to banditry and terrorism.

To paraphrase what he said: Tinubu said that we are underpoliced (this is a major problem), and yet bandits and terrorists are competing with the federal government for youth. This is a reality. Imagine the number of unemployed people daily being recruited into Boko Haram, ISWAP, and other such criminal organizations. These people should rather be in the employment of the federal government. And if you ask what they should be fed with? Food, of course. We should grow our own food, patronize our own farmers. That way, you tackle many things at the same time. You tackle unemployment.

If demand for our local foods rise, the farmers will be forced to produce more, and this will in turn cause a rise in supply to meet demand, and erase scarcity. With an increase in supply to meet demand, food prices will fall, and that way, we can reduce inflation.

I don't want to engage you on the other watery defences you canvassed, but I couldn't just ignore the last one. Why? Because I you seem to be the 2nd person (Tinubu is the 1st of course) that sees the brilliance in recruiting 50 million youths into the army and feed them with Cassava and Agbado. I don't want to conclude that you don't understand the issues facing the economy and our national security. I promise to do my best to school you a little.

Nigeria is not "under-policed" as you claimed. Nigeria is the 4th biggest military in Africa. The number one is Egypt, with an estimated population of 1.3 million personnel. No country in the would has a 50million strong force.

The biggest Army is China's (the world's most populous country), at a combined strength of 4million personnel. China's population is about 1.4 billion, and its military strength is just 4million. But you want Nigeria, with a population of 200million to have a 50million strong army. Does that make sense to you and your principal?

The problem of the Nigerian security architecture is not in the numbers, which is more than sufficient, but in the widespread corruption in the system.

Where would the government get the funds to manage a 50million men strong military? Let me guess, more Chinese loans?

Contrary to your assumptions or as your principal would have you believe, the terrorist organisations are not competing with the Nigerian army for youth. The terrorists are outnumbered by a comfortable ratio.

How about your principal towing a different policy instead. Fix the porous borders, create employment to keep idle minds and willing hands gainfully engaged, ban the Amajiri system that exposes kids to recruitment and conscription by the terrorist groups, address over population, investigate the kind of indoctrination inculcated in kids of Islamiya schools by the mallams, compulsory free education from primary to secondary, Setup skills acquisition centres, suspension of the Sharia system etc. The above reforms are targeted at the root causes, not the symptoms.

You said we would grow our own foods. The farmers right? Call the Fulani herdsmen to order and watch farmers return to the fields. Solve the bandits menace so that farmers can safely go to their farms. Without that, there won't be enough Agbado and Cassava to feed your principal's 50 million youth army. The cost of food items were relatively lower pre-2015, before the Herdsmen and Bandits decided to dispossess the middle-belt (a crucial area as far as our national food security is concerned) farmers of their lands through wanton killings. If there is no security, farmers can't return to fields and there won't be supply, no matter how high the demand gets. Except your principal would solve that by importing the Cassava and Agbado from other safer countries, and more death to the naira.

And by the way, what makes you and your principal think that recruiting 50million Youth into the army would create demand for cassava and Agbado? Does it mean that the 50million youth are currently not eating? How is their joining the army going to suddenly increase demand for foods they were already eating before joining the military? How? They are going to grow extra stomach or more appetite for food? How?

Finally Sir, you can't generate FOREX by just selling your own food to your own people. You need to sell your products to foreign countries to generate FOREX, does that click for you now? Without FOREX, all the Cassava and Agbado is useless to the naira/ecomomy. We need to export those Cassava and Agbado, not feed them to 50million youth in the army. The improved export and FOREX will balance the stress on the naira occasioned by importation and the economy would do just fine. If you still don't get the drift, consult an Economist to do further justice to what I am driving at and why 50million youth Cassava and Agbado feeding is not going to save the economy nor ameliorate unemployment.

All these in place, now put the icing on the cake by fixing the power sector. Allow the 50 million youths to decide their destiny then. Some would go into tech, some manufacturing etc. Some would even join the army out of patriotism/passion, and those few would do more damage against the terrorist groups than a 50million man strong army who are only in the army, not out of passion, but because the government left them no other choices.

These things are not rocket science Sir. The Cassava and Agbado idea was an ill thought-out one, and the fact that I am here, writing a long thesis to convince a fellow citizen makes me cringe.

Thank you.
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Bfly: 3:16pm On Jun 12, 2022
Nigeria knows how to export raw material at a very low price only to import the finished product at very high price.
In both ways the government makes money to steal meanwhile the average people are rendered poor.

Recently i heard Ondo state is selling cocoa farms to Chinese.

Most countries who can't produce food products learn to produce machine.
Even some countries still do both.
But in African; No food No machine.

Nigerians are so immersed in politcking.
Almost everything in Nigeria boils down to who rules who.
Meanwhile we can't even feed ourselves with all the arable lands and resources we are blessed with.

WTF
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by hopexter(m): 3:33pm On Jun 12, 2022
Asianjollof007:

I feel like slapping you mercilessly for saying this gibberish.

You need to wake up from your evil sleep undecided
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Kingspin(m): 3:41pm On Jun 12, 2022
Many Nigerians will see this and still vote for their tribe man instead of a credible candidate.
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Taiggarr: 3:59pm On Jun 12, 2022
Lawlab254:

If you continue to Bleep my mother, na who my papa go Bleep?
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Taiggarr: 4:00pm On Jun 12, 2022
Lawlab254:

With all due respect, fùck you Sir.

Your Semi literate mum.is already doing that task

Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Taiggarr: 4:01pm On Jun 12, 2022
Lawlab254:

With all due respect, fùck you Sir.

Your Semi literate mum is already handling that task...
.......thought you knew......

Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Wwwq: 4:04pm On Jun 12, 2022
Almost all Already in it no prediction needed
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by pacespot(m): 4:07pm On Jun 12, 2022
Emma4real333:

Ngwa prove them wrong Mr know it all.
Later your country would shameless go and beg them for loans to squander.

I even hear say Nigeria dey beg for their old debts to be canceled.

Africa is still in shambles with people like you in it

There have been several predictions like this since COVID-19 started, that Nigeria will go hungry, that there will be serious famine in the country, they even supported their predictions then by showing pictures of people eating grass and cooking leaves as food in northern part of the country. I am talking of early 2020 when the pandemic started, here we are in 2022, none of such have happened.
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Panda7(m): 4:17pm On Jun 12, 2022
Emma4real333:

cool
I wish you get sense so I can further more in educating you.

BST
use that sense educate your father
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Lawlab254: 4:27pm On Jun 12, 2022
Taiggarr:

If i continue to Bleep my whóring mother, na who my drunk scum of a father go Bleep?

If you ask me, Na who I go ask?
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by HeroicMeastro: 5:30pm On Jun 12, 2022
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Desperados(m): 6:51pm On Jun 12, 2022
Demolakay:

Called dis line,it's switched off! but I drop a message on WhatsApp.

They will reply you.
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by BluntTheApostle(m): 7:25pm On Jun 12, 2022
Lawlab254:

I don't want to engage you on the other watery defences you canvassed, but I couldn't just ignore the last one. Why? Because I you seem to be the 2nd person (Tinubu is the 1st of course) that sees the brilliance in recruiting 50 million youths into the army and feed them with Cassava and Agbado. I don't want to conclude that you don't understand the issues facing the economy and our national security. I promise to do my best to school you a little.

Nigeria is not "under-policed" as you claimed. Nigeria is the 4th biggest military in Africa. The number one is Egypt, with an estimated population of 1.3 million personnel. No country in the would has a 50million strong force.

The biggest Army is China's (the world's most populous country), at a combined strength of 4million personnel. China's population is about 1.4 billion, and its military strength is just 4million. But you want Nigeria, with a population of 200million to have a 50million strong army. Does that make sense to you and your principal?

The problem of the Nigerian security architecture is not in the numbers, which is more than sufficient, but in the widespread corruption in the system.

Where would the government get the funds to manage a 50million men strong military? Let me guess, more Chinese loans?

Contrary to your assumptions or as your principal would have you believe, the terrorist organisations are not competing with the Nigerian army for youth. The terrorists are outnumbered by a comfortable ratio.

How about your principal towing a different policy instead. Fix the porous borders, create employment to keep idle minds and willing hands gainfully engaged, ban the Amajiri system that exposes kids to recruitment and conscription by the terrorist groups, address over population, investigate the kind of indoctrination inculcated in kids of Islamiya schools by the mallams, compulsory free education from primary to secondary, Setup skills acquisition centres, suspension of the Sharia system etc. The above reforms are targeted at the root causes, not the symptoms.

You said we would grow our own foods. The farmers right? Call the Fulani herdsmen to order and watch farmers return to the fields. Solve the bandits menace so that farmers can safely go to their farms. Without that, there won't be enough Agbado and Cassava to feed your principal's 50 million youth army. The cost of food items were relatively lower pre-2015, before the Herdsmen and Bandits decided to dispossess the middle-belt (a crucial area as far as our national food security is concerned) farmers of their lands through wanton killings. If there is no security, farmers can't return to fields and there won't be supply, no matter how high the demand gets. Except your principal would solve that by importing the Cassava and Agbado from other safer countries, and more death to the naira.

And by the way, what makes you and your principal think that recruiting 50million Youth into the army would create demand for cassava and Agbado? Does it mean that the 50million youth are currently not eating? How is their joining the army going to suddenly increase demand for foods they were already eating before joining the military? How? They are going to grow extra stomach or more appetite for food? How?

Finally Sir, you can't generate FOREX by just selling your own food to your own people. You need to sell your products to foreign countries to generate FOREX, does that click for you now? Without FOREX, all the Cassava and Agbado is useless to the naira/ecomomy. We need to export those Cassava and Agbado, not feed them to 50million youth in the army. The improved export and FOREX will balance the stress on the naira occasioned by importation and the economy would do just fine. If you still don't get the drift, consult an Economist to do further justice to what I am driving at and why 50million youth Cassava and Agbado feeding is not going to save the economy nor ameliorate unemployment.

All these in place, now put the icing on the cake by fixing the power sector. Allow the 50 million youths to decide their destiny then. Some would go into tech, some manufacturing etc. Some would even join the army out of patriotism/passion, and those few would do more damage against the terrorist groups than a 50million man strong army who are only in the army, not out of passion, but because the government left them no other choices.

These things are not rocket science Sir. The Cassava and Agbado idea was an ill thought-out one, and the fact that I am here, writing a long thesis to convince a fellow citizen makes me cringe.

Thank you.

So, China is a benchmark?

Does China have the same reality as us?

Are they battling local terrorism?

Are they losing unemployed youths to radicalisation?
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Lawlab254: 7:50pm On Jun 12, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

So, China is a benchmark?

Does China have the same reality as us?

Are they battling local terrorism?

Are they losing unemployed youths to radicalisation?

I referenced China to give you a grip of how unreasonably excessive a 50million man army in a population of 200million people is.

Have you even stopped for a moment to wonder what would happen to other sectors of the economy if 50million youths that should be evenly spread out to other facets of the economy are mopped up by the Army alone?

Even the most terrorised countries of the world (which Nigeria proudly seats at number 3), such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia etc do not have such a manpower. Running an Army that big doesn't end at feeding them with Cassava and Agbado, there are other things including armament, Uniforms, Housing, Medical supplies, Salaries, Logistics etc. Where would the government get that kind of money? The United States with an annual defence budget of $700billion (which is by far the biggest in the world), has just 1.3 million personnel. But you want Nigeria, with a measly annual defence budget of about $1.8 billion, to have a 50million man army? How? To run such an Army efficiently for just a year, you need over 5 trillion, not naira, but dollars. Where do we get that? Let me guess, selling our Cassava and Agbado to ourselves due to the demand and consumption we created through of 50million man military?

I ask again, where do you get the money to run such a humongous army? Chinese loans?

Sir, no matter what the Nigerian reality is, a 50million man Army is not exactly a bright idea. At best, it is a recipe for chaos. When soldiers get angry, that's coup brewing .

If that's the smartest solution your principal can think of, then he certainly has no business gunning for the top office.
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by BluntTheApostle(m): 8:01pm On Jun 12, 2022
Lawlab254:

I referenced China to give you a grip of how unreasonably excessive a 50million man army in a population of 200million people is.

Have you even stopped for a moment to wonder what would happen to other sectors of the economy if 50million youths that should be evenly spread out to other facets of the economy are mopped up by the Army alone?

Even the most terrorised countries of the world (which Nigeria proudly seats at number 3), such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia etc do not have such a manpower. Running an Army that big doesn't end at feeding them with Cassava and Agbado, there are other things including armament, Uniforms, Housing, Medical supplies, Salaries, Logistics etc. Where would the government get that kind of money? The United States with an annual defence budget of $700billion (which is by far the biggest in the world), has just 1.3 million personnel. But you want Nigeria, with a measly annual defence budget of about $1.8 billion, to have a 50million man army? How? To run such an Army efficiently for just a year, you need over 5 trillion, not naira, but dollars. Where do we get that? Let me guess, selling our Cassava and Agbado to ourselves due to the demand and consumption we created through of 50million man military?

I ask again, where do you get the money to run such a humongous army? Chinese loans?

Sir, no matter what the Nigerian reality is, a 50million man Army is not exactly a bright idea. At best, it is a recipe for chaos. When soldiers get angry, that's coup brewing .

If that's the smartest solution your principal can think of, then he certainly has no business gunning for the top office.

The 50 million was a mistake, and Tinubu admitted that it was a mistake as that was not what he meant.
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Taiggarr: 8:15pm On Jun 12, 2022
Lawlab254:

If you Bleep my mum, Na who my papa go now dey Bleep?

Make your papa go brothel!
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Lawlab254: 8:49pm On Jun 12, 2022
Taiggarr:

Make my papa go brothel!

Wow! Your Papa? Why do you speak so ill of your parents?
Re: More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts by Lawlab254: 8:58pm On Jun 12, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

The 50 million was a mistake, and Tinubu admitted that it was a mistake as that was not what he meant.

Where's the link to him owing up? Because we still have the video of him saying what he said. So why didn't you start your defence by pointing out that Tinubu admitted that he made a mistake? You first glorified it.

Well, methinks he didn't make a mistake. He knew the youth are unemployed and he felt that the best way to employ them was by recruiting them into the Army. He saying that he made a mistake was just damage control.

But then, I will give him the benefit of doubt, since he said he made a mistake.

May the best candidate win.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Money To Fix Nigeria Stolen On Daily Basis – ICPC / Yemi Osinbajo Had His LLB Degree At 21, Not 19 / Why Re Multinational Company's Avoiding South East Region

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.