Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,736 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Simplifying The Auto Import Process From USA To Lagos - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Simplifying The Auto Import Process From USA To Lagos (379 Views)

***2019 Journey From USA To Nigeria****The 2014 Toyota RAV4 Limited / ***2019 Journey From USA To Nigeria****Benz CLA 250 - Das Beste Oder Nichts!! / Advice Pls Auto Import Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simplifying The Auto Import Process From USA To Lagos by gesodrides: 2:22pm On Jun 14, 2022
Hi NLanders,

We would like to share the steps for others who might be interested to import but are afraid of hidden charges or grey process involved in imports.

First off, auto imports from USA is a straight forwards process. It involves a few steps and your car should be in Lagos within 8 to 10 weeks, all going well, weather permitting.

These steps are:

1. Vehicle Purchase - this involves:
- Sourcing or scouting/searching for the right vehicle

- Agreeing on the vehicle and assessing the vehicle via pictures, reports like carfax, Vin history etc
- Actual purchase of the vehicle - either via auctions (COPART, IAAI, Manheim etc) or direct dealer purchase (can be tricky, lots of dealer hidden fees)

2. Logistics from Purchase Location to Port of Loading in USA for export -

- This involves getting your unit from the point of purchase to the port and also ensuring all export necessary documents are provided and correctly filled. This can be handled by the agent you bought the unit from but then, there are also possibility of hiked prices and also additional charges, we know those that do this. Upon delivery at the port, we issue you a copy of the stamped document received from the port in USA and this is validation that your unit is actually delivered at the port.

3. Ocean Shipping / Sea Freight

- This involves the shipping of your unit from loading port in USA to Tincan Lagos, via RORO or container, preference to RORO for us, and less hassles when getting the unit out of the port in Lagos.

4. Local Customs clearing

- This involves clearing the vehicle at the port in Lagos before delivery to your doorstep or heading for repairs.

There are reputable well equipped auto body shops that can work, transform, and refurbish units from their accidented state to almost factory standard without traces visible after the work done.

Some of these are scattered all over Lagos however sometimes the client needs to know hwta he wants as they are in a hurry to finish up and make mistakes.

We hope this helps

1 Like

Re: Simplifying The Auto Import Process From USA To Lagos by ViceGovernor: 3:30pm On Jun 14, 2022
Nice one Op
Do I have to be physically in the US before I can get cars into Nigeria?
Re: Simplifying The Auto Import Process From USA To Lagos by gesodrides: 7:21pm On Jun 14, 2022
ViceGovernor:
Nice one Op
Do I have to be physically in the US before I can get cars into Nigeria?

Actually, you don't need to be, you can be anywhere in the world and have your cars being shipped to Nigeria. All you need for starters is to understand the process and how it all works.

You have to know how to navigate through auctions searching for cars or dealer websites looking for good deals.

I must add that you cannot have all this done by yourself as some areas are only possible with partnerships with other business which are based in the USA than in Nigeria.

Also since our legal tender is naira and transactions involving imports are US based, you would also need trusted people that can assist with the FX conversion. Pretty sure, we all have one friend and brother or cousin that is based in the USA, but if you want to make this a side hustle or a biz on its own, they won't be able to meet ur demand

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simplifying The Auto Import Process From USA To Lagos by ViceGovernor: 8:04pm On Jun 14, 2022
gesodrides:

Actually, you don't need to be, you can be anywhere in the world and have your cars being shipped to Nigeria. All you need for starters is to understand the process and how it all works.

You have to know how to navigate through auctions searching for cars or dealer websites looking for good deals.

I must add that you cannot have all this done by yourself as some areas are only possible with partnerships with other business which are based in the USA than in Nigeria.

Also since our legal tender is naira and transactions involving imports are US based, you would also need trusted people that can assist with the FX conversion. Pretty sure, we all have one friend and brother or cousin that is based in the USA, but if you want to make this a side hustle or a biz on its own, they won't be able to meet ur demand
Thanks for the info.
I actually registered on autobidmasters some years ago but the truth is I was totally discouraged by someone who told me it's a scam that it's not possible for me to be in Nigeria and someone would send me a car after paying for it grin

Another thing is the price on those auction sites they look too good to be true.
I have a trusted friend in Kansas city that can make the process smooth but it's those sites that I'm really afraid of cry
I think they actually accept payment via Nigerian cards.
For a first timer I'm certain they'd rip the person off when it gets to naija grin
Pls can I send you a mail? There's a lot I'd like to learn from you
Re: Simplifying The Auto Import Process From USA To Lagos by gesodrides: 9:56pm On Jun 14, 2022
ViceGovernor:

Thanks for the info.
I actually registered on autobidmasters some years ago but the truth is I was totally discouraged by someone who told me it's a scam that it's not possible for me to be in Nigeria and someone would send me a car after paying for it grin

Another thing is the price on those auction sites they look too good to be true.
I have a trusted friend in Kansas city that can make the process smooth but it's those sites that I'm really afraid of cry
I think they actually accept payment via Nigerian cards.
For a first timer I'm certain they'd rip the person off when it gets to naija grin
Pls can I send you a mail? There's a lot I'd like to learn from you

Well, personally i would not recommend some sites as they are what we call brokers to the major auction sites in USA.

read this https://www.nairaland.com/6078574/warned-auctionexport-overcharges

Also, I dont speak for others but we (GESOD RIDES) have successfully brought in several (a very good number, actually) cars over the years and i have been in the business for a while and i can say i service dealers and end users the same way.

Try also going through some of our posts, we have maintained the same strategy and all those who own the cars advertised are references till date.

Being ripped off is possible but if you know the possible areas where to cut costs and how to look out for the "pits", well you become more aware of possible red flags.

Our email is gesodrides@gmail.com, we are also very active on whatsapp and via calls on 08093943763.

We are open to teach, educate and even offer advise and hold your hand to get you on your way to becoming an importer yourself.

1 Like

Re: Simplifying The Auto Import Process From USA To Lagos by justtobi(m): 7:55pm On Jan 17, 2023
What is the estimate for a Acura MDX 2016? Thanks
gesodrides:
Hi NLanders,

We would like to share the steps for others who might be interested to import but are afraid of hidden charges or grey process involved in imports.

First off, auto imports from USA is a straight forwards process. It involves a few steps and your car should be in Lagos within 8 to 10 weeks, all going well, weather permitting.

These steps are:

- Agreeing on the vehicle and assessing the vehicle via pictures, reports like carfax, Vin history etc
- Actual purchase of the vehicle - either via auctions (COPART, IAAI, Manheim etc) or direct dealer purchase (can be tricky, lots of dealer hidden fees)

2. Logistics from Purchase Location to Port of Loading in USA for export -

- This involves getting your unit from the point of purchase to the port and also ensuring all export necessary documents are provided and correctly filled. This can be handled by the agent you bought the unit from but then, there are also possibility of hiked prices and also additional charges, we know those that do this. Upon delivery at the port, we issue you a copy of the stamped document received from the port in USA and this is validation that your unit is actually delivered at the port.

3. Ocean Shipping / Sea Freight

- This involves the shipping of your unit from loading port in USA to Tincan Lagos, via RORO or container, preference to RORO for us, and less hassles when getting the unit out of the port in Lagos.

4. Local Customs clearing

- This involves clearing the vehicle at the port in Lagos before delivery to your doorstep or heading for repairs.

There are reputable well equipped auto body shops that can work, transform, and refurbish units from their accidented state to almost factory standard without traces visible after the work done.

Some of these are scattered all over Lagos however sometimes the client needs to know hwta he wants as they are in a hurry to finish up and make mistakes.

We hope this helps
Re: Simplifying The Auto Import Process From USA To Lagos by BestTrades: 7:33am On Jan 18, 2023
gesodrides:
Hi NLanders,

These steps are:

To check vin of any car like carfax,autocheck,bvip,nmvtis,etc visit

comprehensive vehicle history report

https://verifyithq.com/services/vehicle-history-reports/

For Free Vehicle History Report

https://verifyithq.com/free-vehicle-history-report/

Re: Simplifying The Auto Import Process From USA To Lagos by myhomecargo: 8:10am On Jan 18, 2023
The clients search for the expert cargo organization whenever there is a transportation administration. The fast air cargo company must operate with friendly staff assistance because it provides dependable service. It could ship the goods on time and consider the best outcomes whenever it met the excellent shipment services forever. Thus, you have to book a professional fast air cargo to make your shipment easier. The cargo forwarder provides an amazing solution at an affordable cost that includes high-quality best amazon FBA freight forwarder to your requirements and preferences. It only brings reputational quality because it provides a shipment process that is always 100 percent secure.

(1) (Reply)

2012 Honda Crosstour Silver / 2016 Mercedes Benz C300 #10.2M In Abuja✓ / Registered 2011 Lexus Es350 Full Option And Very Clean

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.