Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,497 members, 7,830,502 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead (50054 Views)

Femi Otedola Gifts All 750 Students Of Augustine University N1 Million Each / Henrietta Alokha Is Dead! The Principal Of Bethlehem Girls College Dies In Lagos / The House Wole Soyinka Lived At The OAU Campus Turned To Museum (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by pafo(m): 11:36am On Jun 15, 2022
FocusedDiva:
It's Prof Femi Soyinka not Prof Wole Soyinka

Most Nairalanders don't know how to read. They just rush to comment nonsense.
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by georgeakins: 11:39am On Jun 15, 2022
naijaguy1234:
Even your Achebe or whatever cannot match Soyinka brother in achievements and that’s the younger brother.

Professor Wole Soyinka is greater than Achebe anytime!

No doubt about that.
Soyinka is a complete writer (drama, novels, poetry, prose etc), while Achebe is just a novelist.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by Fmghewzy(m): 11:41am On Jun 15, 2022
SouthSouth1914:

A typical black man does not read! Just looks at headlines, and conclude with his bloated ego!

Must you always find ways to insult your race , or are you not a black man.

Didn't you read the headline?
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by wink2015(m): 11:47am On Jun 15, 2022
Late Professor Femi Soyinka is a learned man just like his senior brother, Professor Wole Soyinka.

While he pursued medical courses, his surviving brother Professor Wole Soyinka went for the literary Arts ( literature )

It is just like the late Pepper Clark who died not long ago.

He had a brother in the person of Ijaw leader and elder statesmen Dr. Edwin Kiagbodo Clark.

I think Professor Wole Soyinka will be feeling the effect of loosing a close brother.

Such is life.

May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by Nosayer: 11:51am On Jun 15, 2022
Nonexisting:
See course of study na. Na this one be the real professor for Soyinka family, not Wole who is a professor in literature. People who hold PhD in certain courses should not be parading themselves as scholars. You can't have PhD in Islamic studies and be making noise disturbing public peace. I know a guy who has PhD in igbo language that he calls himself doc and I laugh whenever I see him. One day now, I will send one of all these inquisitive small children to go and ask him the course he majored for the doc he parades himself as.

If you have no idea what a PhD is or what it takes to get one, then keep quiet. It's better than sounding this way

1 Like

Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by Zelenskyy(m): 12:22pm On Jun 15, 2022
RIP to the Dead
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by Zico5(m): 12:33pm On Jun 15, 2022
Ibkhaleel01:
IS HE ALSO A CULTIST LIKE SOYINKA SNR?
Why are these Igbo so disrespectful like this. They just talk anyhow without thinking at all. Too bad. Rest in peace prof. Femi Soyinka
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by CzarChris(m): 12:41pm On Jun 15, 2022
aribisala0:
Look at you

So you see nothing to say about what the person he quoted said? This is more important?
Of course the individual he mentioned displayed a very high level of childishness no doubt in his comments, but I just wanted to address the tribalism that the person I mentioned exhibited in his comments.
Nothing concerns Achebe in this whole debacle, but his name was mentioned. Address the issue not another person or group of people that it doesn't concern. That's my point. Even Prof. Wole Soyinka has never in all his speeches I'm aware of insulted or redeculed the Igbos, so why would he go down to that level?
Tribalism has really eaten deep into this country and the politicians are reaping bountifully from it. We must outgrow this.

Well, feel free to throw insults at me if you like, I just said my mind.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by ComeToJesus: 12:43pm On Jun 15, 2022
I'm shell shocked to see that most people that even read before they comment.
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by aribisala0(m): 12:43pm On Jun 15, 2022
CzarChris:
Of course the individual he mentioned displayed a very high level of childishness no doubt in his comments, but I just wanted to address the tribalism that the person I mentioned exhibited in his comments.
Nothing concerns Achebe in this whole debacle, but his name was mentioned. Address the issue not another person or group of people that it doesn't concern. That's my point. Even Prof. Wole Soyinka has never in all his speeches I'm aware of insulted or redeculed the Igbos, so why would he go down to that level?
Tribalism has really eaten deep into this country and the politicians are reaping bountifully from it. We must outgrow this.

Well, feel free to throw insults at me if you like, I just said my mind.
You major in minor .He effectively wished Wole Soyinka dead but you ignored that to pontificate on irrelevancies In your mind wishing a person dead is just childishness and not that important

Seems like hypocrisy to me
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by frog12: 1:01pm On Jun 15, 2022
and he never became the HEALTH minister
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by Jerrysmallz: 1:12pm On Jun 15, 2022
Tinuke dad
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by Successkay12(m): 1:15pm On Jun 15, 2022
treesun:

https://leadership.ng/just-in-prof-soyinka-is-dead/
Most of them in this platform don't read before they comment. all they come here to do is to hate, campaign for politics and to abuse
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by Missionaire: 1:24pm On Jun 15, 2022
naijaguy1234:
Even your Achebe or whatever cannot match Soyinka brother in achievements and that’s the younger brother.

That guy you quoted is a core northerner.
How easy it is to pit the Igbos against the Yorubas or the South against itself by the North(erners).

cc: Zico5
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by tollyboy5(m): 1:25pm On Jun 15, 2022
9jaRealist:

Why? Wole Soyinka spent almost 3 years in prison during the Nigerian Civil War for ‘felicitating’ with Biafrans…
>
That's the Igbo problem. The guy is Igbo.

As far as soyinka is Yoruba all he did does not count. What you'll hear is awolowo mastermind the death of many IGBOS
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by tollyboy5(m): 1:26pm On Jun 15, 2022
naijaguy1234:

That guy is not Igbo bro
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by lollybee15(m): 1:30pm On Jun 15, 2022
DontBullshitMe:
Femi Soyinka not Wole Soyinka.

Even if the real Wole Soyinka dies, he won't be missed as well.
A very big shame on you and your unknown family.
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by CzarChris(m): 1:44pm On Jun 15, 2022
aribisala0:
You major in minor .He effectively wished Wole Soyinka dead but you ignored that to pontificate on irrelevancies In your mind wishing a person dead is just childishness and not that important

Seems like hypocrisy to me
Thank you for your analysis, but he never wished him dead. He asked if "his late brother was a cultist
like him" which as I said earlier is distasteful and of course childish. But going after someone who this doesn't concern, come on, that's a low blow. Attack who attacked you not someone else. It's textbook tribalism, Prof. Wole Soyinka is national asset and pride to all black Africans no doubt, but twisting it this way is very wrong that's my point.

NB: where's the hypocrisy there? I'm Igbo a thorough around Igboman, with royal blood flowing in my veins. But I cannot and can never support evil. My fiancee is not Igbo, best friend is a Yoruba Muslim from Oyo, my childhood friend jamiu is from Ogun, my business partners are from Benue, Kano, Bayelsa and Delta States, and yes spent my 1st formative 22years in igboland, but work has taken all over. So it pains me whenever I see people like us killing ourselves over tribal sentiments. I've dinned with most of these people you call top politicians. Believe me they don't care about religion or tribe, but they use it to tear us apart. Take it or leave it. There somethings I know about these people that will shake the average Nigerian to his/her bone marrow. So that's why I'm pained whenever I see us killing ourselves over absolutely nothing.
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by Handsum64: 1:59pm On Jun 15, 2022
NaijaRoyalty:
Fake news
Illiterate
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by Lazenby007(m): 3:06pm On Jun 15, 2022
NaijaRoyalty:
Fake news
Read it first
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by BluntTheApostle(m): 4:04pm On Jun 15, 2022
CzarChris:
Why on Earth do you have to be tribal with everything? He never compared Soyinka with Achebe, he never spoke out of tune of being Igbo, Hausa, Ijaw, Ughrobo or even Yoruba. Why are you this insecure? Is Wole Soyinka not one of the founding fathers of Pyrates Confraternity? Which was a cult group that gave birth to the hydra-headed monster destroying the youths of today? Agreed, they probably didn't mean for it to play out this way, but it did. Even though they've stopped recruiting undergraduates, which ends the cultism narrative, but what's done is done.
So please stop this tribalism nonsense and face reality. HABA!!!

A confraternity is not a cult.

Soyinka co-founded a confraternity. Many more confraternities came up thereafter, but they were for protecting student interests and rights. It was the military that began to arm certain elements to break up student protests, especially during the time of Babangida. As you know, when you arm miscreants, it is always hard to disarm them.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by CzarChris(m): 4:35pm On Jun 15, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

Soyinka co-founded a confraternity. Many more confraternities came up thereafter, but they were for protecting student interests and rights. It was the military that began to arm certain elements to break up student protests, especially during the time of Babangida. As you know, when you arm miscreants, it is always hard to disarm them.

I agree with you on this one, the purpose for which it was formed was very laudable. But the end result we see today from it's offshoots is terrible. Apologies for my wrong interpretation.
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by Idaytesj29(m): 5:14pm On Jun 15, 2022
Nonexisting:
See course of study na. Na this one be the real professor for Soyinka family, not Wole who is a professor in literature. People who hold PhD in certain courses should not be parading themselves as scholars. You can't have PhD in Islamic studies and be making noise disturbing public peace. I know a guy who has PhD in igbo language that he calls himself doc and I laugh whenever I see him. One day now, I will send one of all these inquisitive small children to go and ask him the course he majored for the doc he parades himself as.

Do you have a PhD? are you a Professor ? If not, keep shut and show some respect till reach that level and come back to share your experience

1 Like

Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by AlphaTaikun: 6:12pm On Jun 15, 2022
treesun:

https://leadership.ng/just-in-prof-soyinka-is-dead/
The younger "Ijegba" (Ijebu and Egba parentage) Iroko has fallen.

#Respect
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by AlphaTaikun: 6:37pm On Jun 15, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

Very well said.

Wole Soyinka's Pyrates was perfectly legal on the UI campus!

There are also many confraternities in U.S. Universities as well and they are perfectly legit.

A former U.S. President, George Bush Jr. for instance was a confraternity (fraternity) member while in the Uni among many prominent American citizens.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by riczy(m): 6:43pm On Jun 15, 2022
A brainiac, a guru has been lost, goodbye one of Yoruba finest scholar!
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by izubext007: 8:40pm On Jun 15, 2022
Pirate.
Re: Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead by Toriagirl(f): 6:42am On Jun 16, 2022
Life goes on.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure / Shocking Photos Of OAU Exam Hall / SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.