Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,799 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC (13704 Views)

INEC Agrees To Extend Voter Registration By 60 days / INEC Extends Primary Elections Deadline By 6 Days / PDP Reps To Keep Vigilance On NASS To Prevent Saraki’s Impeachment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by ghettokid1(m): 5:58pm On Jun 15, 2022
2023 polls:
@HouseNGR
seeks extension of voter registration by 60 days

The House of Representatives has urged the Independent National Electoral Commission
@inecnigeria
to extend the Continuous Voter Registration deadline by an extra 60 (sixty) days from June 30, 2022.

This will be in the absence of any extension made by INEC.

It said this was to enable more Nigerians to register and vote at the 2023 general polls.

The call was contained in a resolution the House passed during plenary in Abuja on Wednesday.

The session was presided over by the
@SpeakerGbaja
, Rep.
@Gbajabiamila
The resolution followed a motion of urgent public importance moved by a member from Abia State, Rep. Benjamin Kalu.
House of Reps NGR
·
The House also asked the commission to deploy additional Adhoc staff in registration centres to quicken the process of data capturing and other requirements.

The House further mandated its Committee on Electoral Matters to liaise with INEC and report on why there was a need for a voter registration deadline in Nigeria as compared to other jurisdictions where citizens could register up to a week to the elections.

Kalu's motion reads partly, "The House notes that the ongoing Continuous Voters Registration (CVR) by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is scheduled to end on 30 June 2022, ahead of the 2023 General Elections;

"Also notes that the decision to suspend the voters’ registration is in line with the provisions of the Electoral Act, 2022 which requires INEC to suspend voters’ registration at least 60 days before an election;

"Aware that in April 2022, INEC declared that about 42% of the voter registrations recorded since the commencement of Continuous Voters Registration on 28 June, 2021 were invalid with about 20 million unclaimed Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs);

"Cognizant of the large numbers of unregistered eligible voters willing to be registered as evidenced by
crowd seen at various registration centres resulting in congestion;

Concerned by reports of shortages of voter registration machines, inadequate manpower and personnel at registration centres which may lead to frustrations among prospective registrants and in some cases, unrest at some registration centres;

"Also aware of calls from concerned Citizens and Civil Societies urging INEC to extend the voters’ registration deadline to accommodate eligible voters desiring to register for their Permanent Voters Cards;

"Further aware that the right to vote is critically important to the health and legitimacy of our democracy, as well as electoral integrity;

"Also cognizant that if nothing is done to improve the shortage of voter registration equipment and extend the deadline for voters registration, millions of Nigerians will be disenfranchised thus jeopardizing the integrity of the 2023 General Elections."

https://twitter.com/HouseNGR/status/1537109024042270720/photo/3

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by ghettokid1(m): 5:59pm On Jun 15, 2022
Good move..... we in the north have not been able to get ours, they have refused to give us Southerners our PVC, They keep telling us that the operation have stopped whenever we visit their office to get ours but they are giving their people on a daily basis

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 15, 2022
Good, Inec should extend the date cus they're still many nigerians that dont have Pvc, and the registration is too slow

15 Likes

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by ghettokid1(m): 8:33pm On Jun 15, 2022
Surayj123:
Good, Inec should extend the date cus they're still many nigerians that dont have Pvc, and the registration is too slow
I'm of those that doesn't have

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jun 15, 2022
Very important. A lot of Obidient citizens needs to be onboarded

59 Likes

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by WiszyFraud: 8:44pm On Jun 15, 2022
Did you know??

Drink water and avoid anything that sounds “kpishhh” when you open it.

lipsrsealed

25 Likes

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by FalseProphet1(m): 8:44pm On Jun 15, 2022
I see Peter Obi getting 100million votes next year.

This I have seen.

104 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by Rastaramsey(m): 8:44pm On Jun 15, 2022
Whether them go extend am or not, I already know who I am voting...

Guess what
I am not voting that old thief that will be travelling up and down for medical checkup cheesy grin

I won't vote someone that doesn't believe in one Nigeria grin grin

Person wey won rule us no believe in one Nigeria
Una see say Nigeria don finish

And why are some nairalanders dumb to realise the truth

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by PlayerMeji: 8:44pm On Jun 15, 2022
ok
Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by ClimaxHerbalixt(m): 8:45pm On Jun 15, 2022
Kindly take the pain to have your PVC because that will be the instrument to determine the future of this country.

11 Likes

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by Reallysimple: 8:45pm On Jun 15, 2022
Lol. Better. Hope they don't frustrate people who're ready to register

8 Likes

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:45pm On Jun 15, 2022

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:45pm On Jun 15, 2022
buchilino:
I ADMIT WEN IT COMES 2 ELECTION, BUHARI REALLY TRIED
Good to see you guys know the kinda good man you've got as a President that you can even vouch for him.
Now, that is integrity at it's peak.
That is one of the things dad will be remembered for in this nation for many many years to come.

Let us give you more insight........

It is a always good and refreshing to see that we have a President who does not intervene in the rule of law.

From Corruption, down to politics, Our darling Daddy always allow the rule of law to take charge...

Memory lane........
Elections In Nigeria now,
There is no need to fear.
Why? Because the will of Nigerians will not be subverted. Never! A President once told us in this country that the coming polls would be do or die.
Not with President Buhari.
Fair is fair.
No foul play.
Under his watch, his political party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) has lost gubernatorial elections in Bayelsa(now twice), Oyo State, Edo State, Zamfara state and Anambra states.

At the last Council of States meeting, Gov Willie Obiano publicly registered his appreciation to President Buhari, for the level playing ground he made available during the election in his state. With do or die apostles, and a certain political party in power, such would never happen. Not with their garrison mentality. All states are territories that must be conquered, willy-nilly.

APC has won gubernatorial positions under Buhari in Kogi, Ondo and Edo states, (Now losing same Edo again) The victories were fair and square.
The party lost in Bayelsa (twice), Zamfara, Oyo, Anambra etc.
This President would never manipulate victory for anyone, not even his own party.
And you ask us not to trust him?
We will, and no mistake.

God bless our darling Daddy President Muhammadu Buhari.
God bless Nigeria.

Okoroawusa:

When was the last time I told you that I love you ?
Lol cheesy
Just 3 mins ago sir!
All of us @[b][/b] love you too.....
Let's share the love around!
Stay blessed Chairman!

That is one of the things dad will be remembered for in this nation for many many years to come.

Let us read from the comment of one of the sane, honest and hardworking Nairalander we have below... kiss

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by specialmati(m): 8:45pm On Jun 15, 2022
grin grin grin omo this 2023 go hot. The game will be between the old currupt money bags verses the younger intelligent Peter Obi. Now the supporters of those old money bags dey call their old money bags saint. Why they say Peter Obi na fraud grin grin grin. To all Peter Obi supporters keep the flag up. The fight is between the zombies verses the sensible people. Vote for Peter Obi to rescue our country to forward direction

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by Sunofgod(m): 8:45pm On Jun 15, 2022
Ok
Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by iamyemiakins(m): 8:46pm On Jun 15, 2022
Na Peter Obi dey reign now grin

3 Likes

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by Ibkhaleel01: 8:46pm On Jun 15, 2022
Suddenly they've denied Biafra. They now desperately want the zoo PVC.
Dia life no balance at all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by Naiira(m): 8:46pm On Jun 15, 2022
I hope the lazy and sluggish INEC will indulge.

Those guys are ill constituted

4 Likes

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by bancoleh: 8:46pm On Jun 15, 2022
They should ooo, even more days, awareness dey everywhere now
Video editing tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeB6-M0SBc4

1 Like

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by inoki247: 8:47pm On Jun 15, 2022
Du extension for 12 years sef people will still wait till late hour....

We can see diz during NiN, BVN...
Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by naijainstinct: 8:47pm On Jun 15, 2022
I don't understand why INEC is acting like they plan to disenfranchise some section of the country

3 Likes

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by OmovuduTheBeast(f): 8:47pm On Jun 15, 2022
Peter Obi we know, Peter Obi we support!!!

Put tribe and religion aside, we are tired of APC and PDP recycled garbages.

15 Likes

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by visijo(m): 8:48pm On Jun 15, 2022
Life was good asf when our only goal in life was to reach "ultimate star" on 2go�

2 Likes

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by Kooramaan(m): 8:48pm On Jun 15, 2022
Damn
Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by Raxxye(m): 8:48pm On Jun 15, 2022
That extension is a needful thing to do.

How does one change one's polling unit, pls?
I need it closer to where I now live for ease of movement on election day. My wife also needs to vote. She registered in a different State.

I need make my own little contribution for this Obi project. That seems to be the only glimmer of hope left for Nigeria's future that is presently looking so bleak.
I don't expect Tinubu or Atiku to do any better than Buhari. And if another 8 year disaster befalls Nigeria like the one that has happened under Buhari, then we should forget it, the nation called Nigeria will be gone!

4 Likes

Re: 'Extend Voter Registration Deadline By An Extra 60 Days' - House of Reps to INEC by Stevenson20: 8:48pm On Jun 15, 2022
INEC is compromised. Their independence died long time ago

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Building Demolitions Not Targeted At Igbo – Ohanaeze / Court Grants Fani-Kayode N50m Bail / EFCC Is Recovering Stolen Money From Diezani Every Day - Itse Sagay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.