Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,630 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi (1486 Views)

DNA Test: Tunde Ayeni Says No Paternal Relationship With Adaobi Alagwu Daughter / Benue Cousins Insist On Marrying Each Other Despite Stiff Oppositions / Why Is The Paternal Family So Disliked? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Holluwatarhyor(m): 9:02am On Jun 16, 2022
I've noticed most children while growing up are always more closer to their maternal cousins than their parternal cousins.

In my own case,I know my parternal cousins, but we don't talk,it's as bad as that.

Is there anything one can do so it won't affect the next generation.

And guys always talking about how you like cousins from your mom's side better than your dad's side.Have you ever wondered if your cousins from mom's side who you like so much also like their cousins from their mom's side and actually don't like you as you are also a parternal cousin to them?!
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Whisk(m): 9:10am On Jun 16, 2022
Same here. I am more closer to my maternal cousins than my paternal cousins. My maternal cousins seek me a lot if they don't see or hear from me for a while.
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by naija4life247: 9:20am On Jun 16, 2022
Women. Even God wished in he didn't create them.

Wives create gab between children and their father's family members.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by mamaafrik(m): 9:23am On Jun 16, 2022
It's general and that show how heinous few women can be.
It's usually the craftiness of the mums(usually the wife-female siblings or wife-wife) to directly or indirectly cut two siblings tie,they will plant disharmony within the family but do everything possible to secure their own extended family,i.e your cousins mum and your mum.
Women are greatest determinant of family peace.
You won't have issues if your parternal cousin's mum and your mum are friends or 5& 6.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by thesicilian: 9:46am On Jun 16, 2022
I wonder why anyone would be so eager to connect with their village people.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by dat9jaguy(m): 9:55am On Jun 16, 2022
I believe women are more family oriented in the sense that a man most likely is about hustling and sustaining the family financially while women, in most cases, take care of the children thereby giving them more time to bond the children with her family, whom she feels more familiar with.

A man once in a while takes his family to visit his people but a woman, despite having more time to visit her people with the children, will constantly talk to her children about her family and growing up with them thereby making the children more comfortable with her people.

8 Likes

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Acidosis(m): 10:17am On Jun 16, 2022
Holluwatarhyor:

And guys always talking about how you like cousins from your mom's side better than your dad's side.Have you ever wondered if your cousins from mom's side who you like so much also like their cousins from their mom's side and actually don't like you as you are also a parternal cousin to them?!

LMAO grin grin Confusion everywhere
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by ImaIma1(f): 12:28pm On Jun 16, 2022
It depends on which family members they are exposed to or the ones in close proximity. If the father is close to his siblings and they live in the same city or state, the kids will be close to them. But if it's the mum's people, same goes.

Some want to make it a gender thing and bash women as usual. As a man, if you say your wife is the cause, how come you are also not making your kids close to your family?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Klass99(f): 3:01pm On Jun 16, 2022
smiley

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jun 16, 2022
@Klass99 I no dey follow anyone ooo but I don share your comment before I remember. You nailed it totally!

Thinking of it now, growing up I can't remember any of my maternal relatives visiting us without little gifts. Even if it is chin chin that can make you have an appointment with the dentist, they will still bring. But you see those paternal relatives ehn, they will even drag pots with us. Maternal relatives are always kind of cool and easy to relate with but with their counterparts there always this uneasiness around them. I know it's not everywhere but it is very common.

Now as an adult, I tend to deal with people for who they are. Some maternal cousins can be just as bad as the paternal cousins. I no even close with any cousin as I dey self. Nah who see me , I see. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Mindlog: 3:39pm On Jun 16, 2022
The relationship between a wife and her husband's side of the family influences a lot on how their children will get to view their paternal relatives.

No be Cockerel dey show chicks way, na dia mama the hen. cheesy

Also consider that most men tend to be softer towards their sister's children than their brother's children. wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Holluwatarhyor(m): 4:26pm On Jun 16, 2022
naija4life247:
Women. Even God wished in he didn't create them.

Wives create gab between children and their father's family members.
I agree with this
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Holluwatarhyor(m): 4:32pm On Jun 16, 2022
ImaIma1:
It depends on which family members they are exposed to or the ones in close proximity. If the father is close to his siblings and they live in the same city or state, the kids will be close to them. But if it's the mum's people, same goes.

Some want to make it a gender thing and bash women as usual. As a man, if you say your wife is the cause, how come you are also not making your kids close to your family?
It's not about gender,some women actually cut relationship from their husband's side,but not all.

I have a friend,his mom always host all her grand children every Easter and Christmas,the grand children will be in her place for at least a week,bonding with each other,I think that's cool.

When such children continue with this till they get married,their children will automatically be closed to each other,either paternal or maternal
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Holluwatarhyor(m): 4:41pm On Jun 16, 2022
Klass99:
It is mostly because you grow up seeing your father's relatives & people behave badly, selfishly and very entitled in your household. Your father's relatives are the ones who would usually visit empty handed and still pilfer things from your home like foodstuffs and clothing material. When they visit and go, you notice your fine fluffy body towel which you washed and spread outside is gone grin.

They are the ones who visit and sit or lay on the sofa with their feet up. Comandeering the TV, remote control and what channel to watch. When they live with you, they tend to be lazy around the house, not assisting with chores like washing the car or sweeping the compound. Their own is to eat, watch TV and waka about as they like.

Your mother's relatives & people on the other hand, visit with the little they can afford like oranges, yams, sweet potatoes etc. They are more respectful and helpful around the house with chores. They don't operate with that annoying sense of entitlement, this is our sister's house, the way a man's relatives operate with, this is our brother's house I can bloody well do as I please

Your mother's relatives endear themselves to you through their good conduct and deeds, while your father's relatives don't. Before you argue with me, think about what I have said, take the time to reflect and ponder upon it, and you will realize my post was either your reality as a child or an accurate analysis of this situation.

A man's relatives can be too entitled and selfish, especially when that man is rich, successful and doing well. Na that time dem go carry, blood is thicker than water, on their heads like die. They don't help the man pay bills in his house, but they feel very entitled to his money, help and every good thing in his home. Rather than work for their own success they make that man their second saviour and the goose who lays the golden eggs.
U made a lot of sense,the husband's relatives at times do form van damme when they visit the home of their siblings, especially the elderly ones visiting the junior ones,the wife of the junior one will just be running Helter skelter to please them...

It's the mentality of some countries in Africa though..

4 Likes

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Holluwatarhyor(m): 4:47pm On Jun 16, 2022
Persephone1:
@Klass99 I no dey follow anyone ooo but I don share your comment before I remember. You nailed it totally!

Thinking of it now, growing up I can't remember any of my maternal relatives visiting us without little gifts. Even if it is chin chin that can make you have an appointment with the dentist, they will still bring. But you see those paternal relatives ehn, they will even drag pots with us. Maternal relatives are always kind of cool and easy to relate with but with their counterparts there always this uneasiness around them. I know it's not everywhere but it is very common.

Now as an adult, I tend to deal with people for who they are. Some maternal cousins can be just as bad as the paternal cousins. I no even close with any cousin as I dey self. Nah who see me , I see. cheesy
lol.....and as we grow old,hustle distance everyone from each other,especially here in naija,wey everybody dey find him bearing
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 16, 2022
Holluwatarhyor:
lol.....and as we grow old,hustle distance everyone from each other,especially here in naija,wey everybody dey find him bearing
Exactly! Plus comparing children among themselves has really made people cut family off.
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Mindlog: 5:22pm On Jun 16, 2022
Holluwatarhyor:
It's not about gender,some women actually cut relationship from their husband's side,but not all.

I have a friend,his mom always host all her grand children every Easter and Christmas,the grand children will be in her place for at least a week,bonding with each other,I think that's cool.

When such children continue with this till they get married,their children will automatically be closed to each other,either paternal or maternal

At the end of it all, we are all someone's paternal cousin if the father is not an only child. cheesy
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 16, 2022
mamaafrik:
It's usually the craftiness of the mums(usually the wife-female siblings or wife-wife) to directly or indirectly cut two siblings tie,they will plant disharmony within the family but do everything possible to secure their own extended family,i.e your cousins mum and your mum.
You won't have issues if your parternal cousin's mum and your mum are friends or 5& 6.

Inasmuch as you made some sound point you are being unnecessarily hostile and partial putting all the faults on wives.
In most marriage, husband's family sees the wife as an intruder or competition and tend to show this towards the wife.
Children pick up these signals themselves sometimes . I worked with children for some years and I can tell you that most times their reactions isn't a product of what they are told but what they observed. A child once said " I don't like my Grandma,, anytime she's around my mommy and daddy fights. Turns out the grandma is her father's mother. The child only said what was observed.

Children love their mothers, they adore them so they tend to perceive whoever opposes their mothers as a threat. And if there's one thing I've learnt in my line of work, it is never let a child form a bad impression of you. Never! It can not be easily wiped off.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by ImaIma1(f): 5:27pm On Jun 16, 2022
Holluwatarhyor:

If a woman can cut relationship ties with her husband's family, what is the husband doing? Are the children not equally his?

I'm close to cousins from my father and mother that stayed in Lagos. For me, none of my inlaws stay in Lagos while all my siblings live in Lagos. So who do you think the kids will be close to more?

Besides, it's grandmas who have the time and energy to bring their grandkids together that do what you mentioned.

There are so many reasons why kids are close to some cousins more than others. If we think about it deeply, we will see that the wife is not always the culprit.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by cococandy(f): 5:39pm On Jun 16, 2022
Well and Simply put

We live in a patriarchy that makes men and their family members feel like they did the woman a favor by marrying them. The relationship suffers as result and children pick up on such things.

Let those ones stay up there yarning nonsense about women being the determinants of peace. If you guys want peace, you’ll teach your family members to respect your wife the way you expect her to respect them.

Klass99:
It is mostly because you grow up seeing your father's relatives & people behave badly, selfishly and very entitled in your household. Your father's relatives are the ones who would usually visit empty handed and still pilfer things from your home like foodstuffs and clothing material. When they visit and go, you notice your fine fluffy body towel which you washed and spread outside is gone grin.

They are the ones who visit and sit or lay on the sofa with their feet up. Comandeering the TV, remote control and what channel to watch. When they live with you, they tend to be lazy around the house, not assisting with chores like washing the car or sweeping the compound. Their own is to eat, watch TV and waka about as they like.

Your mother's relatives & people on the other hand, visit with the little they can afford like oranges, yams, sweet potatoes etc. They are more respectful and helpful around the house with chores. They don't operate with that annoying sense of entitlement, this is our sister's house, the way a man's relatives operate with, this is our brother's house I can bloody well do as I please

Your mother's relatives endear themselves to you through their good conduct and deeds, while your father's relatives don't. Before you argue with me, think about what I have said, take the time to reflect and ponder upon it, and you will realize my post was either your reality as a child or an accurate analysis of this situation.

A man's relatives can be too entitled and selfish, especially when that man is rich, successful and doing well. Na that time dem go carry, blood is thicker than water, on their heads like die. They don't help the man pay bills in his house, but they feel very entitled to his money, help and every good thing in his home. Rather than work for their own success they make that man their second saviour and the goose who lays the golden eggs.

7 Likes

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Klass99(f): 7:16pm On Jun 16, 2022
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Holluwatarhyor(m): 7:44pm On Jun 16, 2022
Mindlog:

At the end of it all, we are all someone's paternal cousin if the father is not an only child. cheesy
sure grin
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Holluwatarhyor(m): 7:47pm On Jun 16, 2022
ImaIma1:

If a woman can cut relationship ties with her husband's family, what is the husband doing? Are the children not equally his?

I'm close to cousins from my father and mother that stayed in Lagos. For me, none of my inlaws stay in Lagos while all my siblings live in Lagos. So who do you think the kids will be close to more?

Besides, it's grandmas who have the time and energy to bring their grandkids together that do what you mentioned.

There are so many reasons why kids are close to some cousins more than others. If we think about it deeply, we will see that the wife is not always the culprit.
I'm not generalizing,I mean some,of course some men are also the cause,and looking deeply into it,how sociable we are as an individual,might have effect on our children..
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by YOUNGELDER1(m): 8:28pm On Jun 16, 2022
thesicilian:
I wonder why anyone would be so eager to connect with their village people.

So all you cousins reside in the village? Or are village people?
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by ImaIma1(f): 9:23pm On Jun 16, 2022
Klass99:

It's like they showed you pepper. Some of them behave really badly.

In my case, my father's relatives behaved themselves around my mum. The relationship on both sides were almost same. I remember my mum's brother that never came to visit without suya. We knew him for that. My dad's bro used to bring goodies too.

Some families that suffer this issue is mostly because of what you mentioned and sometimes distance could make families not get close.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Biglittlelois(f): 9:24pm On Jun 16, 2022
Hmmmm

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Biglittlelois(f): 9:34pm On Jun 16, 2022
mamaafrik:

You are making it seem like children, especially the grown up ones don't see and know what is going on from both parents side of the family, and you are also making it seem like wives controls the family and most narratives, are husbands not the head anymore? Or what is their function if they can allow such in the home, or are men docile? Or chose to be blind and ignorant?

FYI men and women are the greatest determinant of a peaceful family , not just women.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by Biglittlelois(f): 9:36pm On Jun 16, 2022
dat9jaguy:
I believe women are more family oriented in the sense that a man most likely is about hustling and sustaining the family financially while women, in most cases, take care of the children thereby giving them more time to bond the children with her family, whom she feels more familiar with.

A man once in a while takes his family to visit his people but a woman, despite having more time to visit her people with the children, will constantly talk to her children about her family and growing up with them thereby making the children more comfortable with her people.

100%

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by cavreek: 12:09am On Jun 18, 2022
Mothers usually keep in touch with members of their family even after marriage while most men are concerned majorly about their nuclear family
A mother can spare out time to talk about and probably visit her family unlike the man whose focus is how to pay bills
So the children are usually is contact with maternal members compared with paternal members
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:16am On Jun 18, 2022
Holluwatarhyor:
I've noticed most children while growing up are always more closer to their maternal cousins than their parternal cousins.

In my own case,I know my parternal cousins, but we don't talk,it's as bad as that.

Is there anything one can do so it won't affect the next generation.

i think its influenced by wife

look at this mostly people would want to visit son-in-laws becoz they benefit from treated well by both son in law and their relative (the wife) wife makes sure her people are looked after . the connect start there

whereas if hubby relative visits usually there too much judgement from hubby relatives and hubby cant cater direct for his relatives becoz he spent atleast 8 hours average mon- fri at work. hubby relatives mostly claim this is my brothers house etc whereas wife's relatives would just humble themselves while they get treated very wel becoz wife in control
of food etc

If you are not carefull as men you find that your kids would likely to who is who from the mum side than yours becoz wife influence were kids should go for holiday

wives usually want their niece and nephew know each other etc, men we do but our wives have more control on that

also if one sister's kids visit their cousin it much easy for the other sister to spoil them its her sister kids or brothers mainly becoz women are primary care givers in the family spent more time with kids

whereas for brothers its a different story the brother is not the care giver he is out working, his wife became the care giver and usually they quickly lose patience and hostle with kids

the two wives to brothers have no real connectin except being daughter-in-laws in the family
Re: Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi by poshestmina(f): 2:34pm On Jun 19, 2022
Most Fathers/men don't even have time for their extended family.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Wife Chase My Maid Away / Does Having A House Help Or Steward Make Housewives Lazy Especially In The Kitch / 5 Bad Habit People In Face Me I Face You Houses Are Fond Of

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.