Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,237 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer (2830 Views)

How Yahoo Boy Tricked Me Into Nigeria – American Woman (Pictures) / How Yahoo Boys Take Over Hotels, Carry Out Ritual Killings — Ondo Amotekun Boss / How Yahoo Almost Ruined My Life (18+) "True Life Story" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jun 19, 2022
Some people say yahoo boys are helping the economy of Nigeria, indirectly it might be true, but we can't say only yahoo boys are helping the economy that is a ridiculous idea, fact is that illegal and legal act all help in the economy, that is what most moral people won't admit. Another Fact is that the economy does not care where your money is from, the economy only care about buying and selling.

Now let's get to how Yahoo boys are making Nigerian poorer.

Fact is that there are lot of yahoo boys in Nigeria that is due to high rate of unemployment, people got to survive. Once a yahoo boy makes money, he spends it lavishly, he does not price, he buys things at ridiculous prices, a pack of boxers worth 3k might be bought by a yahoo boy for 8k. When this happens regularly, business owners starts to think that everyone is a yahoo boy so can afford the lifestyle, so anyone that comes to his shop, the pair of boxers will be sold at that same price. That means Lot of addictive gain for the shop owner.

The food seller who sells her food for 500 naira, after noticing the type of young guys with cars that comes to her restaurant, decide to hike her price from 500 to 2000, she noticed nobody complains and she infact got more customers from these yahoo boys, she loses her non yahoo boys customers who are loyal customers, she does care because her margin is still high

Repeat this process for the landlord, car dealers, furniture maker, etc and you will see thesame results.

If this becomes the norm, it means lot of people will be sent to the poverty line because the price of their basic source of existence would have been increased by 1000% that literally means more suffering for them,e.g no food, no accomdation etc because of the unnecessary hike. Fact is that these sudden hikes all thanks to yahoo boys are one of the causes of inflation in Nigeria.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by PresidObi: 12:06pm On Jun 19, 2022
The writer of the piece above, never attended a single economics class.

That's why we urge everyone to vote for Peter Obi, he will promote education and make our people of Nigeria to understand the dynamics of demand and supply as it affects price determination.

May God help Nigeria.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jun 19, 2022
Actually I would say Yahoo boys increase poverty because they destroy Nigeria business reputation many foreign countries now refuse to do business with Nigeria damaging our GDP

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jun 19, 2022
PresidObi:

That's why we urge everyone to vote for Peter Obi, he will promote education and make our people of Nigeria to understand the dynamics of demand and supply as it affects price determination.

May God help Nigeria.

I think you just made one of the most disturbing comment ever on nairaland.

Sometimes, it will better not type than to type jargon in the gathering of professors

19 Likes

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Hyperchi(m): 12:22pm On Jun 19, 2022
So politician na make the country rich as them da share the money. My bro no confused urself

3 Likes

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jun 19, 2022
LordVoldermort:
Actually I would say Yahoo boys increase poverty because they destroy Nigeria business reputation many foreign countries now refuse to do business with Nigeria damaging our GDP

Yeah that is internationally but locally they are also damaging the economy because of lack of price control.

They are sending more people to poverty and creating a system where sellers think every young guy is a yahoo boy that they can exploit

4 Likes

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jun 19, 2022
Hyperchi:
So politician na make the country rich as them da share the money. My bro no confused urself

Read well to understand
Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by mivicssmith: 12:25pm On Jun 19, 2022
Then the politicians are killing the Nigerians’ future openly…
Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Conwarden: 12:27pm On Jun 19, 2022
angry

Life sentence for all scammers . . . Including paternity fraudsters!
Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Morenikeji090(m): 12:28pm On Jun 19, 2022
There is a truth in your write up. You are cool.. but also our bad government stealing our money harming us damn too much..

1 Like

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Mokason288(m): 12:32pm On Jun 19, 2022
grin
Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by joyandfaith: 12:34pm On Jun 19, 2022
LordVoldermort:

I agree with you. thebosstrevor1 is also right. Yahoo boys are destroying the economy.
In summary
1. Unnecessary increasing in prices of goods and services due to reckless spending by yahoo boys
2. Low FDI due activities of yahoo boys.

2 Likes

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by tollyboy5(m): 12:45pm On Jun 19, 2022
LordVoldermort:
Unfriendly policies by government chase investors , in other words cause unemployment and final result is youth doing fraud.

Ask some youth doing online job how lack of electricity as frustrated their productivity.

One guy even said he always go to beg fuel station manager to allow him use their light.

Let's learn to know the root of our problem.
The op is also a partisan and won't talk about the root of high rate of youth going into fraud.

3 Likes

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by tollyboy5(m): 12:47pm On Jun 19, 2022
Why do people say yahoo boy lol. It's fraudster.
Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by tollyboy5(m): 12:50pm On Jun 19, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

Read well to understand
He reads well, what you wrote is just a conspiracy with no evidence.

Inflation is what cause increasing price.

1 Like

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 19, 2022
tollyboy5:

He reads well, what you wrote is just a conspiracy with no evidence.

Inflation is what cause increasing price.

You are like him.

Just one question

What are one of the causes inflation?
Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Thomthom(m): 1:42pm On Jun 19, 2022
Op you might actually not be far from the truth..
Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jun 19, 2022
Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 19, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

Yeah that is internationally but locally they are also damaging the economy because of lack of price control.

They are sending more people to poverty and creating a system where sellers think every young guy is a yahoo boy that they can exploit
You should blame igbo traders for their greed and non chalant stupidity.....na mostly dem wey dey hike price for market

3 Likes

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by lolu2019: 2:14pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kaiair:

You should blame igbo traders for their greed and non chalant stupidity.....na mostly dem wey dey hike price for market
not only Igbo traders.even in schools.Yahoo boys made d landlords to increase their rent.
Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 19, 2022
lolu2019:
not only Igbo traders.even in schools.Yahoo boys made d landlords to increase their rent.
This days shop owners go size u b4 dem even give you chance to speak . .....my coursemate was recently lamenting how he entered a shop to buy a phone pad for his pixel, na so 4 boys also enter all of dem dey use iphone 13, dem wan also buy back cover as the shop owner see iphone 13 him rudely dismiss my coursemate tell am say him no get wetin him dey find, make him comot him dey block road undecided

3 Likes

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by lolu2019: 2:29pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kaiair:

This days shop owners don dey size people up .....my coursemate was recently lamenting how he entered a shop to buy a phone pad for his pixel, na so 4 boys also enter all of dem dey use iphone 13, dem wan also buy back cover as the shop owner see iphone 13 him rudely dismiss my coursemate tell am say him no get wetin him dey find, make him comot him dey block road undecided
lol,very funny.na the future be koko.tell ur friend to just calm down and focus on his dreams.the future is bright.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by AlexB300: 3:32pm On Jun 19, 2022
PresidObi:

May God help Nigeria.
dull writer using yahoo boys as an index for measuring economic depression grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by bjtinz: 3:38pm On Jun 19, 2022
LordVoldermort:

That's all. Case closed.
Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by bjtinz: 3:51pm On Jun 19, 2022
@OP, no offence, but idea of yahoo boys stoking inflation is as preposterous as they come.

What percentage do they constitute?. Fact is they are far too small (in relation to our population) to have any SERIOUS effect on our everyday market. If at all, then it's probably high end luxury items like exotic cars, perfumes, etc.

Any economist will tell you our current inflationary pressures have less to do with demand and more to do with ever increasing cost of production. From light to supply chains, to dollar scarcity. . .

3 Likes

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Lifewasgood: 3:56pm On Jun 19, 2022
You're right but if not for the yahoo boys, you for nor dey press that your phone with peace of mind even inside your house cos the kidnapping and stealing for worse pass so.

The one way bust my head na i go sapele make this lady fry two superpack noodles and two eggs she say na 1,100 for roadside kiosk.
Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Nwaomaah: 4:01pm On Jun 19, 2022
The OP is actually right. I have a brother who earns 80k monthly in Delta state (Abraka to be precise)
He's literally living below poverty line. He can hardly buy simple things in the market. I'm in Lagos but when he tells me the prices of basic household items I cannot help but shout.
His selfcon rent expired and the landlord raised the tent from 180 to 350k.
I was like "but Abraka is not a city now, and students are on strike" he said "yahoo boys no dey price"

2 Likes

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Chiraq77(m): 4:04pm On Jun 19, 2022
PresidObi:

May God help Nigeria.

Your Comment is a big stain on the whole obidient clan.
Tuah!!

1 Like

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by anthonyuncle(m): 4:51pm On Jun 19, 2022
the activities of a fraudster affects his society 10x more.
it is also bad that greed has made them the core hope and customers of some businesses.
i keep saying it,
it is injustice to prosecute a fraudster and leave his beneficiaries to go free - especially the landlord, fashion suppliers and car dealers. most of these persons are fully aware that the person is a fraudster but are cool with it because they benefit from it.

1 Like

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by gbengaeed(m): 5:20pm On Jun 19, 2022
A typical example is Mexico, with all the Drug money and banditry ramsom in circulation, the poor are very poor. Even the natural resources can't even safe them.

1 Like

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jun 19, 2022
bjtinz:
@OP, no offence, but idea of yahoo boys stoking inflation is as preposterous as they come.

What percentage do they constitute?. Fact is they are far too small (in relation to our population) to have any SERIOUS effect on our everyday market. If at all, then it's probably high end luxury items like exotic cars, perfumes, etc.

Any economist will tell you our current inflationary pressures have less to do with demand and more to do with ever increasing cost of production. From light to supply chains, to dollar scarcity. . .

Have you ever read about the pareto principle ( 80/20 rules)

We can also say 80% of wealth is controlled by 20% of the people.

Read nassim taleb book skin in the game, it will explain to you how a minority can dictate price for the majority.

Yes, the number of yahoo boys might be small but they influence majority of the sellers price decisions. infact many bouquets in not so good neighborhoods sell fake designer shirts for 16k and the owner of the shop isn't losing customers, now how will the average people in that place be able to afford something like that. It is funny how some set of people pay ridiculous amounts for fake things in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: How Yahoo Boys Are Making Nigerians Poorer by CorperKola: 6:13pm On Jun 19, 2022
Not to brag or anything, i have an economics degree abd wgat you wrote up here is pure rubbish!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo:Police Kill Armed Robbers In Port Harcourt While Robbing Punch Newspaper / See Pics Of A Lady Captured With 193 Wraps Of Cocaine Hidden In Sweets At MMIA / If You Stay Around Oworo Be Careful, Today Is Obasanjo Buried

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.