Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,949 members, 7,863,371 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 04:27 PM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2732) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1574904 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2729) (2730) (2731) (2732) (2733) (2734) (2735) ... (4844) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 3:41pm On Jun 13, 2023
Lmao
. So is university education still subsidised? 😁
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Kaycee54321(m): 3:42pm On Jun 13, 2023
raumdeuter:

In my time there were some courses with almost 1000 student and lecturer in front where only 200 can only hear him talking to himself. If that's what you are banking on to pass you are OYO.

In mine (which is relatively recent) we faced same.
Sometimes, we took courses in a stadium.
If you like come, if you like don't come.
Even the lecturer will tell you that you can make noise but you should just shift further behind...

One of our lecturers normally comes to whisper in class. And if you dare say you can't hear him, you're failing the course.

Most people who are making something off that chaos back then were not only brilliant but had to actually put in 2x the work for them to actually have an idea of whatever they were looking to learn.

A nerd in FUOYE may just have the same bandwidth in knowledge with an unserious CU graduate.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 3:42pm On Jun 13, 2023
GloriousGbola:

Add When obanikoro who used soldiers as jnr minister for defense to harass Tinubu returned to apc, w no story

While some GEJ and Obanikoro foot soldiers have made lifetime enemies
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 3:43pm On Jun 13, 2023
BlueRayDick:

FG is subsidizing by running the universities with government money while we paid few thousands as school fees.

For the purpose of argument u may not want to agree, but almost everyone knows that the "education" obtained from Private owned institutions where millions are paid yearly and one obtained from a tertiary institution affords u both opportunity to work in the same industry and function well on the job.

Yes public tertiary education has it's attendant problem like some lecturers missing lectures, some lecturers' teaching styles are archaic , etc. But as far as what u called "quality education" is concerned, both private and public varsities have what it takes to deliver . Most of the professors working in private universities were even poached from public varsities.

Except what u call "university experience" is just the ambiance, fine classrooms and hostels, beautiful buildings etc.

Lmaooo the education obtained from private uni and federal University are what?
They are not close at all😂.
Anyways we both won't shift positions. That's fine

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 3:43pm On Jun 13, 2023
Ibime:

I guess those Raymond Dokpesi documentaries are now water under the bridge

Tinubu no dey keep grudge, this nigga is only ever out for his political interest. He can even work with Dino Melaye who threatened to rãpe his wife. Nigga is a PROFESSIONAL politician, no emotions involved

cool

Master Strategist.... Jagaban of Africa!!!

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 3:44pm On Jun 13, 2023
Kaycee54321:

In mine (which is relatively recent) we faced same.
Sometimes, we took courses in a stadium.
If you like come, if you like don't come.
Even the lecturer will tell you that you can make noise but you should just shift further behind...

One of our lecturers normally comes to whisper in class. And if you dare say you can't hear him, you're failing the course.

Most people who are making something off that chaos back then we're not only brilliant but had to actually put in 2x the work for them to actually have an idea of whatever they were looking to learn.

A nerd in FUOYE may just have the same bandwidth in knowledge with an unserious CU graduate.

Lmao.. Wonderful😁
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 3:44pm On Jun 13, 2023
Kaycee54321:

No. What I meant by foundational education isn't the 1+1 in pre college.

I meant for instance, someone studying comp sci who actually opens visual studio to code in class...no matter what the lecturer ends up teaching or not teaching...will most likely end up faring better than the regular student who writes obsolete code on paper, uses runs to pass the course of one "wicked lecturer" and gets his first laptop during NYSC.

And yes. UNILAG and CU can compete.

But what of CU and DELSU?
Or UNILAG and Fed Poly Ilaro?

Averagely speaking...

The problem here is u are comparing the poor students in public universities to their bright counterparts in private universities.

Yes I agree public varsities don't have enough infrastructures like laboratories , studios, workshops, etc. which makes learning difficult..... It still doesn't mean on an average the public varsity graduate won't fair well at the end of the day in his chosen career path.

Maybe its cos I'm speaking from social science/management science point of view. My experience may not actually be in reality with thiose who studied STEM courses in both varsities.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 3:46pm On Jun 13, 2023
BlueRayDick:

The problem here is u are comparing the poor students in public universities to their bright counterparts in private universities.

Yes I agree public varsities don't have enough infrastructures like laboratories , studios, workshops, etc. which makes learning difficult..... It still doesn't mean on an average the public varsity graduate won't fair well at the end of the day in his chosen career path.

Maybe its cos I'm speaking from social science/management science point of view. My experience may not actually be in reality with thiose who studied STEM courses in both varsities.

👍
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Kaycee54321(m): 3:49pm On Jun 13, 2023
BlueRayDick:

Maybe its cos I'm speaking from social science/management science point of view. My experience may not actually be in reality with those who studied STEM courses in both varsities.

What I was just trying to point out is that the school one attends plays a big role and not a small role in how one's career turns out.

A bright student from a public uni will need to work harder than a bright student in a well funded private uni.

At least, that's what I think.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 3:51pm On Jun 13, 2023
Kaycee54321:

This is where I think u are actually wrong.

I've been on a team that had just 2 of us from public universities and 4 from private universities. Mind u, everybody on the team either graduated with 2.1 or 1st class from their respective varsities. What I confirmed at the end of the day was that everyone on the team deserved their place . The intelligence was there for everyone to see
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Kaycee54321(m): 3:55pm On Jun 13, 2023
BlueRayDick:

This is where I think u are actually wrong.

I've been on a team that had just 2 of us from public universities and 4 from private universities. Mind u, everybody on the team either graduated with 2.1 or 1st class from their respective varsities. What I confirmed at the end of the day was that everyone on the team deserved their place . The intelligence was there for everyone to see

What I meant to say, isn't an actual nerd.

Like, person wey dem dey call jackometer for those kain uni may just be doing same thing an unserious student is doing in a well funded uni. That's what I meant.

Someone's actual intelligence and output, while coming from a result of exposure to solid education, can also come from sheer hardwork aided by the individual's natural brainpower.

That's a different convo.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 3:57pm On Jun 13, 2023
Nor be today we begin dey craze😭😭😭

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 3:57pm On Jun 13, 2023
Kaycee54321:

What I was just trying to point out is that the school one attends plays a big role and not a small role in how one's career turns out.

A bright student from a public uni will need to work harder than a bright student in a well funded private uni.

At least, that's what I think.

If by the bold u mean A bright student in a public university has to put in more efforts to get good grades when compared to his counterpart in private varsity, I agree with u.

What I'm however saying is after getting ur degree from a public university, the knowledge u acquired from ur public varsity can afford u opportunity to compete favorably with those that graduated from private university
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 3:59pm On Jun 13, 2023
Meanwhile izzou don release the latest work of his hand. Guaranteed to last 4hrs and burst all condoms

Where is izzou sef, he don find that babe go Taraba abi

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Olowunl01: 3:59pm On Jun 13, 2023
Ibime:

Council tax grin
grin grin grin We have council tax in lagos naa; I think it is called Tenement rate collected by the Local government or something.

If we add all these unofficial taxes Nigerians might be paying more tax than their equivalent in the Uk grin ( dont shoot me )
Lower income earners are largely tax exempt including other afforded benefits whereas their equivalents in Naija are paying all sort of unofficialand official taxes, anybody remember PTA levy? WAEC fees?

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Kaycee54321(m): 4:00pm On Jun 13, 2023
BlueRayDick:

If by the bold u mean A bright student in a public university has to put in more efforts to get good grades when compared to his counterpart in private varsity, I agree with u.

What I'm however saying is after getting ur degree from a public university, the knowledge u acquired from ur public varsity can afford u opportunity to compete favorably with those that graduated from private university

Yes. Yes. I think so too.

I was just saying that since the guy from the underfunded uni has to put in more work...then the uni does not play a small factor...

It's actually a big factor because you've got to put in that extra work before you can even join the conversation about competing with your peers in the market.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 4:05pm On Jun 13, 2023
Kaycee54321:

Yes. Yes. I think so too.

I was just saying that since the guy from the underfunded uni has to put in more work...then the uni does not play a small factor...

It's actually a big factor because you've got to put in that extra work before you can even join the conversation about competing with your peers in the market.

I think I understand ur points well now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 4:14pm On Jun 13, 2023
https://www.nairaland.com/7726541/senate-president-akpabio-pays-thank

Wike will lose relevance after leaving office. grin

I told them at the time, another jagaban is born.

Itsrm:

Wike is the new Jagaban of Rivers State. All the other politicians have been retired.

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 4:15pm On Jun 13, 2023
liveLongNprospa:
Nor be today we begin dey craze😭😭😭

I listened to Jimi Disu on radio This morning and he mentioned something like this about the students loans which were given to students in the late 70’s/early 80’s.

He narrated how students get loans while in school claiming to be indigent students even after collecting the school fees from their parents at home. Some students bought nice power bikes with their own student loan.

Once they are done with school , they pay someone in the ministry to help them smuggle their loan file out after which they will destroy it and there’s no evidence of them owing the government .

The good thing now is that there are computer systems , database, backup and BVN that can spool out the data of any would-be defaulter

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 4:25pm On Jun 13, 2023
BlueRayDick:

I listened to Jimi Disu on radio This morning and he mentioned something like this about the students loans which were given to students in the late 70’s/early 80’s.

He narrated how students get loans while in school claiming to be indigent students even after collecting the school fees from their parents at home. Some students bought nice power bikes with their own student loan.

Once they are done with school , they pay someone in the ministry to help them smuggle their loan file out after which they will destroy it and there’s no evidence of them owing the government .

The good thing now is that there are computer systems , database, backup and BVN that can spool out the data of any would-be defaulter

1970s Nigeria was the worst. Back then everybody combined and contributed to the looting of Nigeria. That oil boom came too early for the country. It is like when a young man hammers in his early 20s. Na soso Maybach and Ferragamo he go dey buy.

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 4:28pm On Jun 13, 2023
afrodoc:

1970s Nigeria was the worst. Back then everybody combined and contributed to the looting of Nigeria. That oil boom came too early for the country. It is like when a young man hammers in his early 20s. Na soso Maybach and Ferragamo he go dey buy.

Na all those baba’s in their 60’s and 70’s now start dagbo dagbo for this country
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by nihilistjnr: 4:50pm On Jun 13, 2023
Olowunl01:

You are one conflating the issues...
Nigerians pay tax, and I opined that they pay alot more in relation to what they get back from the ruling class.

The 45% Tax you listed paid in the UK gets you good health care and good roads and education system, whereas a banker in Nigeria earning 12M per annum will pay still pay tax maybe 20% but will spend probably easily spend another 30% of their income on school fees and healthcare for their family.

Bruh I don't know if you read what I wrote or even know how to read.

nihilistjnr:

Bro, infrastructure is not free. In the UK, we pay NI tax which can reach up to 12% of your annual salary, matched by employer contributions, to cover the NHS and Social Benefit schemes. This is separate to Personal Income tax that can see the government take as much as 45% of your annual salary as their cut.

The tax you pay for healthcare as NI contributions is separate to what you pay as Personal Income Tax.

The tax you pay to maintain roads in the UK is council tax, which is different to the tax you pay to drive on the same road which is road tax.

You inherit property, you pay inheritance tax. You sell the property, you pay Capital Gains Tax.

That's at least 6 different taxes that you pay as an individual in the UK.

You now want to compare that to a country where 72% of all employed eligible taxpayers did not give the federal government a single kobo in tax in 2018.

Where is the funding for healthcare supposed to come from? The sky?

Even by African standards, Nigeria has a terrible tax to GDP ratio. Look at the chart below again and see what our neighbours are doing tax wise.

This is one reason why politicians don't mind stealing money. There isn't enough in the kitty to do anything useful without borrowing. Nigerians have low expectations so they don't pay tax. That suits the thieves just fine as they can loot in peace without having to honour a social contract

Bossman do you know what it means when only 28% of a country's recorded employed workforce paid tax in a year?

What or who exactly are you expecting to pay infrastructural development?

7 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Shaytun: 5:03pm On Jun 13, 2023

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 5:07pm On Jun 13, 2023
Shaytun:
The highest since 2008!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-13/nigerian-stocks-jump-to-15-year-high-after-emefiele-ouster?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=africa&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-africa

grin

They have deleted all drugs related tweets on Tinubu on their platform. People on the other side couldn't able to renew Subscription.. LMFAO

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 5:08pm On Jun 13, 2023
grin

Meanwhile..... sad news; NANS Executives, National Association of University Students (NAUS), National Association of Colleges of Education Students (NACES) and National Youth council of Nigeria (NYCN) visited President BAT today declared total support for the Student Loan & Subsidy Removal.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by sod09(m): 5:11pm On Jun 13, 2023
Chef Dammy lule

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:19pm On Jun 13, 2023
sod09:
Chef Dammy lule

What if she cooked from now till next year
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 5:20pm On Jun 13, 2023
raumdeuter:

It won’t count unless she uses only firewood.

What is worth doing at all is worth doing well.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by sod09(m): 5:21pm On Jun 13, 2023
raumdeuter:

Na by force to enter GWR
she should come back next year abeg 🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 5:29pm On Jun 13, 2023
sod09:
Chef Dammy lule

It doesn't matter. Different people can break same record within a year.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:29pm On Jun 13, 2023
afrodoc:

It won’t count unless she uses only firewood.

What is worth doing at all is worth doing well.

Or sawdust adogan in honor of June 12
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by sod09(m): 5:37pm On Jun 13, 2023
larride:

It doesn't matter. Different people can break same record within a year.
But GWR just say they recognise a record per year

(1) (2) (3) ... (2729) (2730) (2731) (2732) (2733) (2734) (2735) ... (4844) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: Sportsweb, fyinka47(m), OasisX, afrodoc2, Segedinho(m), superintendents(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.