Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,591 members, 7,847,504 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 07:03 PM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3893) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1525438 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3890) (3891) (3892) (3893) (3894) (3895) (3896) ... (4754) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 10:29pm On Dec 12, 2023
DissTroy:

My thoughts went straight to Kuda, the defacto digital bank for techies and tech startups, asides Wema Bank. Kuda is a microfinance bank. If it crashes...

It is what it is !

So what u just have is HOPE .

U HOPE CBN will do their jobs diligently ;know when it appears the bank may fail , flag it , take the necessary actions afterwards and HOPE it works for ur good.

If not , u will have to proceed to NDIC , have them process maximum of N200k of ur funds with micro finance bank and “praise God in all circumstances “
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 10:37pm On Dec 12, 2023
izzou:
So 10 million go turn 200k if the MFbank crashes?

Make i kuku dig hole for my backyard

YES !

If and if the bank crashes, u will get ur whopping 200k from NDIC because they cannot cough out more than what they guaranteed they will pay if the bank crashes/fails .

Dey include CBN in ur morning devotion prayers because if they fail in their duty to supervise these banks as they should , they will put u in a life-threatening position and they will only offer a terse apology and that’s it.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ballzproblem2: 10:40pm On Dec 12, 2023
online bank is the future wether una like it or not,gomoney is obviously a quack.

their interface is trash ,opay and kuda if e pass this two .

I no do

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DissTroy(m): 10:51pm On Dec 12, 2023
Ballzproblem2:
online bank is the future wether una like it or not,gomoney is obviously a quack.

their interface is trash ,opay and kuda if e pass this two .

I no do

Opay is actually the one you should be concerned about. In March 2021, they raised about $423 million in Seed C funding even when they weren't that profitable, considering losses from Oride the previous year.

To raise $423 million, they must gotten a $2 billion valuation or more. Unlikely since, again, their profitability couldn't have been that high. Which points to a likely cooking of books.

Are they as profitable now? We'd never know. But the first two paragraphs above served as a red flag for me not to keep large amounts with them for too long.
Or maybe overanalysing the fine details is my undoing.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 10:52pm On Dec 12, 2023
37 mentions. grin

Clowns are wanking on my mentions.

Keep wanking on my mentions, it wont make whatever pain you are going through easy. Infact that pain no go ever end. Awon oloriburuku de de

I did not ask for your sympathy neither did I beg for it, I didnt enter your DM or even ask you for any assistance, yet na my name you dey mention every time.

Better go out and find something to do with your life instead of wailing on my name daily. You go wail tire while I continue to get my shit together and forge ahead.

I am appreciative of those that gave me tips and directions when everything looks gloomy, I'm getting back on track by the day. I never regretted sharing those moments with everyone of you. We keep it moving. cool

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 10:53pm On Dec 12, 2023
Izzou werey

Hope you don dey prepare for another weekend of L? grin
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ballzproblem2: 10:55pm On Dec 12, 2023
DissTroy:

Opay is actually the one you should be concerned about. In March 2021, they raised about $423 million in Seed C funding even when they weren't that profitable, considering losses from Oride the previous year.

To raise $423 million, they must gotten a $2 billion valuation or more. Unlikely since, again, their profitability couldn't have been that high. Which points to a likely cooking of books.

Are they as profitable now? We'd never know. But the first two paragraphs above served as a red flag for me not to keep large amounts with them for too long.
I use them transaction wise , I agree Sha one should never put all his funds in online bank.

but still one shouldn't be close minded to online banks.

They're efficient.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 10:58pm On Dec 12, 2023
DissTroy:

My thoughts went straight to Kuda, the defacto digital bank for techies and tech startups, asides Wema Bank. Kuda is a microfinance bank. If it crashes...

Most of these banks cant crashed though, especially those fully licensed by the CBN unless they go against regulations but even at that, CBN will most likely save them.

I think that's the reason why Cardoso is pushing for recapitalization of the banks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:00pm On Dec 12, 2023
BlueRayDick:

YES !

If and if the bank crashes, u will get ur whopping 200k from NDIC because they cannot cough out more than what they guaranteed they will pay if the bank crashes/fails .

Dey include CBN in ur morning devotion prayers because if they fail in their duty to supervise these banks as they should , they will put u in a life-threatening position and they will only offer a terse apology and that’s it.

😂😂😂😂

Just the way that Sillicon Bank in America almost crashed before it was saved by Biden.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Amigoss: 11:02pm On Dec 12, 2023
Ballzproblem2:
I use them transaction wise , I agree Sha one should never put all his funds in online bank.

but still one shouldn't be close minded to online banks.

They're efficient.

Na the free transfer,no charges when money enter your account,stamp duties,vats,SMS charges,account maintenance charges,ATM charges make am enter your eyes,no lie cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:04pm On Dec 12, 2023
DissTroy:

They pivoted fully from ride hailing platform to financial service fully.

They have gained so much unserved and underserved customers within the past 2yrs that I believe they should be making serious profit currently.

They might also go into retail banking if some rumors I hear are anything to go by.

Same way Moniepoint started with retail banking and now trying to go commercial with their Moniepoint Personal App.

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by obainojazz(m): 11:08pm On Dec 12, 2023
Bet9ja 🤦🏽‍♂️

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:12pm On Dec 12, 2023
Amigoss:

Na the free transfer,no charges when money enter your account,stamp duties,vats,SMS charges,account maintenance charges,ATM charges make am enter your eyes,no lie cheesy

Opay n Palmpay has privacy issues with the phone number as account number thing. Though it was a masterstroke to launch into the industry, it now leaves a lot of people open to crime.

Free transfer for Opay is 3 per day and Kuda is 20 (if I'm not mistaken) per month.

Opay and these digital banks offers very fast transaction. You can also check the recipient bank network before making transfer (which is a game changer) that way you rarely have transfer hanging issues.

I always advise people to have a traditional bank and use these digital banks for daily transactions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:14pm On Dec 12, 2023
obainojazz:
Bet9ja 🤦🏽‍♂️

Toor

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Melvyn11: 11:22pm On Dec 12, 2023
Emaprince:
Guy 600k means you are managing life in the current Nigeria.
Ha beg be calming down. Managing life with 600k per month ke.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DissTroy(m): 11:27pm On Dec 12, 2023
larride:

They pivoted fully from ride hailing platform to financial service fully.

They have gained so much unserved and underserved customers within the past 2yrs that I believe they should be making serious profit currently.

They might also go into retail banking if some rumors I hear are anything to go by.

Same way Moniepoint started with retail banking and now trying to go commercial with their Moniepoint Personal App.

That's the point. How were they able to raise to pivot when the hitherto ride-hailing services were not as profitable and lost cash during the Covid era? VCs must have seen the books.

Now imagine the financial statements which would have convinced VCs to invest $423 million in a market already dominated by Flutterwave, PayPal, and even Kuda at the time? Definitely not the exact financial outlook.

That's a source for concern. I raised this concern in the programming section too in February, months before PayDay faced the same problem after raising $3 million.

Underserved customers? What's the userbase expenditure and remittances to Opay? They still do free transfers and a lot of freebies, no? $423 million is a lot of money.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Amigoss: 11:31pm On Dec 12, 2023
larride:

Opay n Palmpay has privacy issues with the phone number as account number thing. Though it was a masterstroke to launch into the industry, it now leaves a lot of people open to crime.

Free transfer for Opay is 3 per day and Kuda is 20 (if I'm not mistaken) per month.

Opay and these digital banks offers very fast transaction. You can also check the recipient bank network before making transfer (which is a game changer) that way you rarely have transfer hanging issues.

I always advise people to have a traditional bank and use these digital banks for daily transactions.

I think with time, identify verification will be used to validate account even though for a particular threshold amount,it is needed...
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Melvyn11: 11:31pm On Dec 12, 2023
Itsrm:

Especially for those who live in big cities, Fueling, children's school fees and house rent will easily take more than 200k from that 600 a month.

Feeding, clothing(especially for children who are still growing), car maintenance will take another 200k+

Family members, church activities, donations, can easily eat another 20-50k monthly.

There goes your 600k salary. If care is not taken, all you do is live from hand to mouth on 600k.
You don't pay school fees and house rent monthly. You don't need to spend anything on donations, family members and church activities, you do those willingly because you want to. What kind of growing children will require you to buy clothes monthly? The only thing you have mentioned that are given are feeding and fueling.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DissTroy(m): 11:35pm On Dec 12, 2023
larride:

Most of these banks cant crashed though, especially those fully licensed by the CBN unless they go against regulations but even at that, CBN will most likely save them.

I think that's the reason why Cardoso is pushing for recapitalization of the banks.

You know Kuda and Wema are like(?) the Silicon Valley Bank of the Nigerian tech ecosystem, right? If anything happens to Kuda especially (a microfinance bank), the shockwave would sweep through. Nigerian tech job cuts, services, whole startups...

Sorry I can't count on CBN to save Kuda, but it's shown no stress so far so...
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:43pm On Dec 12, 2023
Amigoss:

I think with time, identify verification will be used to validate account even though for a particular threshold amount,it is needed...

Yeah. It was a CBN policy to capture the unserved and unbanked, the policy gives fintech and I think traditional banks (not sure) the power to open a tier 1 bank account for customer with just their name ans phone number with a limit of 50k. To upgrade the account, you'll need to do some link your BVN to verify who you are to take you to tier 2 with a limit of 200k and then address and ID verification to take you to tier 3 unlimited.

There's this CBN circular I read on Twitter that's now mandating banks and fintech to compulsory ask for BVN or NIN at the point of opening an account.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ballzproblem2: 11:45pm On Dec 12, 2023
Amigoss:

I have access bank too
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 11:47pm On Dec 12, 2023
larride:
Izzou werey

Hope you don dey prepare for another weekend of L? grin

I'm taking my TV to Alaba for repairs this weekend.

I'll miss our match, sadly.

See you next/another weekend!
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:52pm On Dec 12, 2023
DissTroy:

That's the point. How were they able to raise to pivot when the hitherto ride-hailing services were not as profitable and lost cash during the Covid era? VCs must have seen the books.

Now imagine the financial statements which would have convinced VCs to invest $423 million in a market already dominated by Flutterwave, PayPal, and even Kuda at the time? Definitely not the exact financial outlook.

That's a source for concern. I raised this concern in the programming section too in February, months before PayDay faced the same problem after raising $3 million.

Underserved customers? What's the userbase expenditure and remittances to Opay? They still do free transfers and a lot of freebies, no? $423 million is a lot of money.

I think the issue here is that you are mixing up their business together. Their own competitor among those you listed is Kuda.

Flutterwave, Paystack, interswitch and the likes offers payment and switch services, they do not hold customers funds as they are not licensed to do so. They only process payments and the likes. Opay holds a MMO license (Mobile Money Operation License)

When Opay pivoted into financial services, they pivoted into commercial banking with the goal of touching the unserved and underserved customers which they have done remarkably well with.

You also cannot compare PayDay with Opay. Opay and PayDay do not run the same model of operation. I'm not even sure if PayDay has a MMO license. PayDay core business idea was to help freelancers process funds from overseas and then they later introduced Virtual cards for international payment. Opay does none of that. What ruined PayDay was majorly financial recklessness of the founder and board.

I've not seen Opay books to be sure what's going on with it but I know part of the money they raised was used to get the MMO license they are currently using to run their business.

Startups already have it too hard, let's tone down with the assumptions that we are not sure of which can make depositors to panic and lead to bank run.

So far so good, Opay model has been largely successful. And their free transfer is just 3 a day.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:54pm On Dec 12, 2023
izzou:

I'm taking my TV to Alaba for repairs this weekend.

I'll miss our match, sadly.

See you next/another weekend!

No fear.

Na Liverpool be our own next match. Troll me, I troll you. cheesy
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:58pm On Dec 12, 2023
DissTroy:

You know Kuda and Wema are like(?) the Silicon Valley Bank of the Nigerian tech ecosystem, right? If anything happens to Kuda especially (a microfinance bank), the shockwave would sweep through. Nigerian tech job cuts, services, whole startups...

Sorry I can't count on CBN to save Kuda, but it's shown no stress so far so...

Banks do not just fail, there are a lot that has to go wrong for a bank to fail especially one that is fully licensed by the country reserve bank.

Even Sillicon would not have run into that much trouble if not for the bank run.

Kuda is safe as long as their board knows what they are doing.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ballzproblem2: 12:06am On Dec 13, 2023
Amigoss:

I realize you are always trying to use me as comic relief, perhaps for some cheap likes.

I never get your time ,when I get your time properly you no go like me

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 12:54am On Dec 13, 2023
liveLongNprospa:
Custom duty for personal ps5?
Just imagine idiots charging as much as 15% the value of the item...maybe for their mind na luxury goods or something.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by TrebleChamp(m): 1:51am On Dec 13, 2023
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 2:00am On Dec 13, 2023
TrebleChamp:
Buyers beware, Nigerians are Nigeria's problem...

https://twitter.com/DanielRegha/status/1734520443523022904?t=IO6QGv2hUm5oSspsbitb7A&s=19

One of those people converting 200k to 400m in 5 years and you can't figure out how.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 5:54am On Dec 13, 2023
GloriousGbola:

One of those people converting 200k to 400m in 5 years and you can't figure out how.

U took the word out of my mouth. Na the part of the story nobody tells be this .

Evans was a successful business man before he was bursted by the authorities . That man sponsoring badoo in Ikorodu was also a successful businessman before dem knack am apako .

I’ve learnt to be contented in this Nigeria with the little my legit hustle can bring me .
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 6:05am On Dec 13, 2023
Melvyn11:

You don't pay school fees and house rent monthly. You don't need to spend anything on donations, family members and church activities, you do those willingly because you want to. What kind of growing children will require you to buy clothes monthly? The only thing you have mentioned that are given are feeding and fueling.

What kind of ridiculous statement is this? So if you don't pay house rent and school fees monthly, It doesn't come from your monthly income? You don't need to spend on family members? We should leave our aged parents to die of hunger?

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 6:26am On Dec 13, 2023
https://www.nairaland.com/7939127/sanwo-olu-celebrates-four-years-without

Personally I think this is worth celebrating

The Lagos state government and the LSSTF they set up that equips RRS has been a success . Armed robbers don’t just feel convinced they can walk into any bank in the remotest part of Lagos; rob a bank and walk free .

That alone is worth celebrating cos this Lagos everybody eyes dey chook

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3890) (3891) (3892) (3893) (3894) (3895) (3896) ... (4754) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: Theflint1(m), Roland17(m), YoungB1a(m), Segedinho(m), Ellexy, GrammarNazi1(m), TrebleChamp(m), seankafor(m), MrJaay(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.