Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers (41386 Views)

Anambra Fire Service: Graduation Parade Of Fresh Intakes (Pictures & Video) / Parade By Boys Of Nigerian Military School Zaria Goes Viral / Thread For Mechanical Engineers... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by luizpippo(m): 4:39pm On Jun 20, 2022
Simeonjoe1:

Do even professional engineers carry out such test.
Most of those engineer also make use of the quacks to carry out the project to save cost. Or how many engineers have you seen laying the block or carrying out the concrete work or other works? Na still the quack they do all the works under them...

A professional crook calling a non professional crook.

Engr setting blocks?

Kai, stop this clowning bros. That's not our duty.

3 Likes

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by christistruth01: 4:46pm On Jun 20, 2022
Holluwatarhyor:
Julius berger is a civil engineering company and they can handle the building of structures,because I'm not getting you,are you a builder or a civil engineer to start with??

Do you know that Julius Berger himself was a Builder not an Engineer and he got his understanding of building by Transportation of building Materials
Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by lagosrd: 4:59pm On Jun 20, 2022
Bunch of untrainable retards. I love it when they mess the client up and I am called to correct it. I will charge you like ........ Artisans are not professionals stop patronizing quacks

1 Like

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by InvertedHammer: 5:00pm On Jun 20, 2022
Holluwatarhyor:
you are right but there are still few good ones,I've lost some projects because I billed up to the right standard for the said projects and the clients are insisting I should come down with the price,but I don't like sleeping with one eye closed,my peace of mind is paramount
/

There are many good ones but you have to waste a lot of money on quacks before finally meeting the competent ones.

Those who meet competent ones at the first opportunity do not know what others go through.

You give someone a job and still have to supervise them to ensure quality assurance.

If you notice, the degrees and qualifications that Nigerians parade on paper are not alway at par with their performances in real world.

/
Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by lagosrd: 5:00pm On Jun 20, 2022
christistruth01:

Do you know that Julius Berger himself was a Builder not an Engineer and he got his understanding of building by Transportation of building Materials

Was that how he got the knowledge of bridge construction too. Pls stop glorifying stupidity

2 Likes

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by lagosrd: 5:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
LaSenior:
you are definitely right on this one

Very wrong, stop saying what you don't know. Was it a quack or uneducated person that built cocoa house ?

Haba. Those poor engineering graduates are the result of your country not given them hands on experience during before and after school. How many of them are accepted in engineering companies during their NYSC but your lawyers and doctors are sent straight to better places and hospitals . You send your own professionals to the classroom. So tell me is it from heaven they will bring the skills they went to school to learn or were you told that they went through the university to become masons?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by iamL(f): 5:06pm On Jun 20, 2022
Honoredeblazac:
I use to think that these quack engineers were the cause of the many building collapse, but I no know that I was wrong. Nigeria has so many trained engineering graduates walking around and speaking big grammar, but once your hire them, you will learn that they are worse than the untrained ones. I can’t tell you the number of times these poorly trained fools were given projects and they hire experienced non engineers who they will pay less to do the job.
Most buildings which collapsed had trained engineers, but whenever something wrong happen, they will claim they owner were stingy or the builders didn’t do as they were told. How come more buildings are collapsing nowadays? Go to Ibadan and other old cities and you will see buildings of over 100 years old still standing. Those who built it were not engineers, but workmen who learnt from the white man. Just like an average graduate today cannot compete with the average diploma holder of the 1960s, the average engineers of today cannot compete with the technicians of 1960s. Na only grammar them sabi.

You are so on point. Professionalism is not by certificate or title is how well you know the job.

U know how many so called qualified Field engineers we don pursue from site? Even all this abokis know work pass them.

2 Likes

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 20, 2022
Emusan:

You're right!

No architect can do that unless the architect is also a structural engineer, what you see are people who are just doing guess work.

You can copy people work on autocad especially the architectural drawings but each building has different structural members which need different structural analysis and detailing but what many so called professionals do is to copy and paste any structural drawings they have and do a guess work on the project.

Plans and drawings mean the same thing, you could call them technical drawings, no let english cause problem for you. angry
Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by lagosrd: 5:11pm On Jun 20, 2022
NotKnown:

The architect has NO RIGHT whatsoever to supervise any building. What are you supervising? That they should follow the drawing or what?
So what then is the job of the structural engineer? What's the job of a builder?

You guys take a lot of things for granted in Nigeria. If Nigeria was truly working a lot of you would have been jailed.

Go back to school and learn the various jobs of the professionals in the building industry. The architect must supervise and ensure the building is built to specification while materials are not compromised by anyone on site.

The architect is the one that reads the mind of the client and knows exactly what he wants and not the engineer. There should be no argument about that except the engineer has something he is hiding .

Let me also remind you professionally, onthe scale of fees or a professional job, the architect earns the most.

Go back to school and stop the online self confusion.

1 Like

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by lagosrd: 5:11pm On Jun 20, 2022
SeniorGee:
It's quite unfortunate. These artisans sweet-talk the clients into patronising them because of their "experience", and yet they have no technical details thinking all sites are thesame!
Pls patronise professionals so that you can sleep well.

God bless you
Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by Christistruth00: 5:49pm On Jun 20, 2022
lagosrd:

Was that how he got the knowledge of bridge construction too. Pls stop glorifying stupidity

How many bridges have indigenous Nigerian Engineers built accross River Niger without external help ?
Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by Goldie16(f): 5:53pm On Jun 20, 2022
The artisans sabi work pass. Especially those that worked with Julius Berger

2 Likes

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by GodsOwn2004(m): 5:53pm On Jun 20, 2022
Your statement below shows that you don't know anything about civil engineering.

Emusan:

Among the three you mentioned only BUILDER is an Engineer.

Yes civil engineering is vast but it has been narrow down to just three.

Which are:
1. Structure
2. High way
3. Water

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by bomly(f): 5:55pm On Jun 20, 2022
Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by highbee02: 6:00pm On Jun 20, 2022
A truck driver (tipper) once called himself a CONTRACTOR. This was because he had some engineers who were patronizing him.

1 Like

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by ambient: 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
Hahahahahaha,I can relate,I remember when my husband wanted to add a security house to the main house the person supplying the blocks literally took a plain sheet to draw up the building plan,my husband was wowed...he didn't even factor in the position of the house,he even suggested it should be built on the soak away.quite hilarious episode.

2 Likes

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by Gbadebo19(m): 6:07pm On Jun 20, 2022
Holluwatarhyor:
It is not uncommon to see artisans especially bricklayers, masons and carpenters parading themselves as architects, engineers or builders on construction sites across the country.

This trend is very disturbing as the consequence of such imposture is greatly evident in the way some of our buildings are been designed and built. At a time when building collapse has joined the league of serious national issues, it is not out of place to advocate for the relegation of quacks in the construction industry –the industry in Nigeria that is believed to hold the highest number of practicing quacks or pseudo-builders.

In the course of a research in July, 2014, I took a trip to the interiors of Oke-Ira town, a swampy residential area in Ogba, Lagos state and I need not put a spectacle on to see the clear difference between houses designed and built by professionals and those put up by quacks; nearly all the houses built by these pseudo-builders have very noticeable defects (either they have over settled or deflected largely) leaning backward or bending sideways by up to 10 degrees or more to the horizontal and vertical respectively and most of these buildings are less than 15 years old.

Occupiers of such buildings complain of excessive water ingress from the ground nearly all year round and several other sick building syndromes. In addition, some protest the unstable (shaky) nature of the buildings especially those with upper floors while others have been forced to either evacuate one part of the building or simply relocate to other places.

One wonders why having spent around 3 - 5 Million Naira to secure a plot of land in the area, landlords still opt to employ the services of some good-for-nothing quacks who parade themselves as engineers to carry out such important task.

Of peculiar interest was a site on Silifatu Abioye Street in the same area for which passer-bys have turn into a spectacle of some sort because even while construction was still ongoing, the one-storey building continued to settle heavily, leaning backward; perhaps qualifying as the ironic ‘leaning tower’.

On visiting the site, I inquired to know the contractor. A bricklayer (probably in his early 40s) introduced himself as the ‘Engineer’. By closer interrogation and observation, the bricklayer was already confused about the turn of events but continue to express false hope that the building will eventually become strong and stable as soon as it is occupied. I then spoke with the project owner who was also available at the time. I gathered that though he was not very pleased with the condition of his building, he was happy that the building did not collapse.

He later revealed that he plan to put it up for rent to recoup his investment. I could only imagine that the safety of the lives and properties of the innocent tenants is grossly immaterial in the eye of the landlord!

Upon further quizzing, he later admitted that although he was aware that the so-called ‘engineer’ was a common bricklayer, he engaged him in a bid to save cost and for his self-acclaimed high level of competence.

Now he is in a sorry state because by my candid professional assessment, the building will collapse in the near future if nothing is done to remedy the situation since the foundation was not properly constructed. It cannot safely sustain its own load for even half the average life span of a standard building which is pegged at 70 years not to talk of the load to be imposed on it when fully occupied.

This is one in a million regrettable outcomes that accompany the use of quacks for carrying out construction projects. It is often ‘penny wise, pounds foolish’. Just like a draughtsman is not an architect even though he can come up with drawings so also is a bricklayer or mason not a builder or an engineer even though they can lay blocks in bonds and produce concrete respectively.

Don’t be deceived into the cheap talk of these unscrupulous imposters who are always out to deceive people by saying ‘we are more experienced because we have worked with white engineers on several sites’, ‘those professionals only know theory but we have practical knowledge, we are cheaper and better’ and so on.

When the problem comes, they would be nowhere to be found and you would be left to bear it alone.

Always employ the services of professionals –although you may have to pay a little more but it is always worthwhile in the end. Do not join the band-wagon of unwise landlords whose buildings are waiting to make headline news in the media for the wrong reasons.

By Engr Osaz Enobakhare

O.P, you are just being biased. The plain truth is that both engineers and bricklayers are complicit in this matter. What about the last multi storey building that collapsed in Lagos the last time? Was it handled by bricklayers?
In my house that I live here, it has been 27 years now and yet we do not have a crack and it was built by bricklayers. Visit rural areas and see mud houses that have been standing for over 50 years come rain come shine. I do not condemn your write up oo, but I think you should have been more objective rather than cast.

1 Like

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by KillerBeauty(f): 6:10pm On Jun 20, 2022
It's when you want to build your house you will realize that there is a death of skilled technicians and artisans in this country.

Not every tiler know how to tile. The room tiles in my house, makes a cracky noise when you steps on some of them.
Same with the PVC ceiling, it's bent, with nails placed haphazardly. There is a crack on the wall. They didn't do earthing before I moved in. Roof was leaking.

Some many problems.

2 Likes

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by dammyllare(m): 6:11pm On Jun 20, 2022
Emusan:

Among the three you mentioned only BUILDER is an Engineer.

Yes civil engineering is vast but it has been narrow down to just three.

Which are:
1. Structure
2. High way
3. Water

Smiles, very funny individual. You know next to nothing as regard the functions of a civil engineer or how many specialization we have on this profession

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by christistruth01: 6:20pm On Jun 20, 2022
iamL:

You are so on point. Professionalism is not by certificate or title is how well you know the job.

U know how many so called qualified Field engineers we don pursue from site? Even all this abokis know work pass them.

It is called on the Job Experience
Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by kebliss(m): 6:21pm On Jun 20, 2022
Jokerman:

angry grin.... what's NSE or COREN doing about all these anomaly? grin..

Oh I know, another eat and drink conference is coming up, and time to award tinubu a fellow... cheesy

The only thing COREN cares about is payment of one fees

1 Like

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by dammyllare(m): 6:35pm On Jun 20, 2022
In as much as most people are right based on what they have experienced with professionals. It still doesn't justify giving any structure beyond bungalow to an untrained professional.
Yes we have many quacks and untrained civil engineers which is due to the decadence in our educational system just as we have quacks in all profession.

Let me ask, how many of us would allow a quack inject him, represent him in court and so on?.
I met a pharmacist some years ago who was building a story building at shagamu, I gave him a cost but as an igbo man, he felt his kinsmen could handle it.
I did design for him which he didn't even bother to collect. Just after the roofing stage.. The slab at a section collapsed.he called me crying and I told him I won't show him any pity. He has to pay my funds. After helping him make corrections, I asked him how he would feel if I engage in self medication instead of consulting a doctor or a pharmacist like him.

I did a project at Ogudu and after analyzing the soil report... I gave him a good structure which many people has been referencing.
A man came there to meet me because he just wasted millions engaging a quack build twin structure with one already settling and deflecting at the back almost hitting the second structure. The structure is visible as soon as you are on the Ogudu bridge.

I had a big madam come to my site when I was building rehobot bakery at Ogba, she was building around 60 shops at computer village with no structural person on site. She made use of a bricklayer and upon my visitation to site, I noticed the errors in reinforcement details, no calculations as regard the imposed load, self load or dead load. Not even considering if a structure is meant for a commercial or residential purpose. I refused to put my stamp on it for some hundreds of thousands and loose my integrity or my name.

Also, we need to inform our architects who are forming an Engineer after designing a project.it is not in your place or duty to determine the structural element, yours is to serve as a project manager representing the interest of your client.. Anything after that is out of place.

Lastly, builders and civil engineers have been so undervalued in this country.
I did a design for a structure at Amity estate last week, this guy gave the drawings to his QS and that one was trying to question my reasons for some reinforcement members. I became so mad and told the guy an ordinary QS trying to question my designs without running any analyses or having any background on structural designs.
He claimed to have not seen 2 section of a single building having different thickness of slab or the use of 25mm bar in beams on a cantilever of 2m...

We need to watch it and I don't beg people for work, I give you a bill and if you feel the cost is high... I allow you buy all the required materials while paying my professional fee

5 Likes

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by Simeonjoe1: 6:41pm On Jun 20, 2022
ikezudon:

The engineers supervise these artisans. I blame them though for collecting chikini money, na why dem no fit run standard parole.

You get most of this artisans are highly skilled. They've been doing their jobs for years knows most things about completing a project. See USA for example most of those guys no go school and they earn very well and do the work effectively.
They are countless project that this ordinary bricklayers have engaged in. Most of Nigerian 98% homes na ordinary bricklayers they build from start to finish, most of those artisans didn't go to school some can't even speak English but they do their work just fine.
So don't use the mistake of a few to generalize the rest.

2 Likes

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by irunoko(m): 6:48pm On Jun 20, 2022
dragunov:

Hanti Obscene Moniker!
lmaoo anybody wey see your post will think that you're decent and sensible not knowing that you are a pretender

Is your penis hair obscene? What is obscene about your own body parts? Oniranu.because you're a pervert you think others Will be as perverted as you? grin tongue

Adagba magbon tongue
Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by Simeonjoe1: 6:48pm On Jun 20, 2022
Emusan:
Even the so called professionals don't know what Engineering all about especially when it comes to highrise buildings.

They can't generate Structural Data
They can't do simple Structural design
They can't read structural analysis reports

All what you see on site are copy and paste reinforcement arrangements from another design.

Until the industry set the priority straight then we can start to talk of professionalism in construction industry.

NIOB bill that can put all this quacks in their hiding hole has been with National Assembly for years now. What can one say about that?

With this bill, for instance:
Non-building professionals can't set up ordinary Block industry which means all the block industries will be owned by professional that will guarantee standard block.

This bill doesn't make sense but rather impoverish some people further. Making of quality block is no Brainer.
Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by Jokerman(m): 6:48pm On Jun 20, 2022
Obiebanks007:
Bros no vex, u no get talk for mouth
What's engineering if construction!!
Those guys you mentioned, what do they do?

Because most of them didn't go to school, they been seen as quack....abeg 4get this talk u saying,

If it's a white man in this positions you mentioned doing this job I guess they be wen as engineer, because na blacks u remember say them be carpenter, brick layer, mason man e.t.c, and not engineers

Let's promote and support one another
God bless Africa
God bless Nigeria

If you are abroad, or in a sane country, you can't be called an engineer... yiu go remain your technician level...

1 Like

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by Simeonjoe1: 6:50pm On Jun 20, 2022
phemmyfour:
Lol, even my gen repairer is referred to as an Engr....if only they know the difference between an artisan and an engineer
As long as you're in Nigeria there's no difference btw engineers and artisan. How many things the certified engineers fit produce.
All this civil engineer for 9ja how many highway, bridge, skyscrapers dey fit construct?
Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by Simeonjoe1: 6:57pm On Jun 20, 2022
Originalsly:
I don't blame the bricklayer turned engineer.... neither the owner. It is for the authorities to check and allow construction to be safe and meet all requirements. If they have certified and experienced engineer/inspectors ... many buildings would not even get off the ground. Three storey building with this foundation?.... dig it up and start all over again. This wall... you are laying sand blocks?... take the wl down... start over using correct blocks. If this is done... no need for buildings to be collapsing.... this is the root of the problem.

Most of this fault is not with the bricklayers but the owners. Bricklayers also know about concrete blocks and reinforced concrete foundation but how may landlord fit afford am. Nigerians are found of cutting cost in their dealings. After giving a quotation of 5m they will say they should reduce it to 3M. remove this and that, the bag of cement is too much this bag should be enough. Use this sand they are same and it's cheaper. When bricklayers too won chop he will do the Oga bidding if not another bricklayer with far less cost go take am up. Even you as a professional engineer you'll do the same.

So who is to blame?

1 Like

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by dammyllare(m): 6:59pm On Jun 20, 2022
Simeonjoe1:

You get most of this artisans are highly skilled. They've been doing their jobs for years knows most things about completing a project. See USA for example most of those guys no go school and they earn very well and do the work effectively.
They are countless project that this ordinary bricklayers have engaged in. Most of Nigerian 98% homes na ordinary bricklayers they build from start to finish, most of those artisans didn't go to school some can't even speak English but they do their work just fine.
So don't use the mistake of a few to generalize the rest.

Smiles, you are not enlightened.
In the USA, you dare not engage on a project without being a member of a recognized body. You can't erect a structure that didn't pass through the necessary testing lab or being below standard.
We need to know where every individual belong. There are engineers, technicians, assistants, interns and unskilled craftsmen and you dare not go beyond your skilled level without necessary approval.

Artisans no matter how good are meant to be supervised by a registered professional.

I have been opportuned to meet many great skilled artisans but what has made them to stay up there is that they recognize the importance of having a professional handling some certain aspect of structures for them.

Listen, as a civil engineer... I was trained to do the work of a Land Surveyor, a Quantity Surveyor, an architect aside my own work as a civil engineer but I would be selfish and stupid thinking I don't need these guys on my projects.
Let ys discourage all this bad habits

1 Like

Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by lagosrd: 7:02pm On Jun 20, 2022
Christistruth00:

How many bridges have indigenous Nigerian Engineers built accross River Niger without external help ?

Go and read your History. You need to leave your parents houses. Ask Dantata and Sawo company , august 1st construction coy etc. Foe your information, all they use the white for is to get the contact out majorly.
Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by Simeonjoe1: 7:04pm On Jun 20, 2022
VicM6:
Just the same way chemist go talk say dem be doctor and nurse's....See na 9ja we dey jare, notin freak me again....mechanic don dey teach carpenter work for site now adays, even person wey dey clean inside airplane dey call him self pilot.

That's a completely different analogy no bring am come here
Re: When Bricklayers Parade Themselves As Engineers by Obiebanks007(m): 7:06pm On Jun 20, 2022
Jokerman:

If you are abroad, or in a sane country, you can't be called an engineer... yiu go remain your technician level...

Leading to the final deal been CONSTRUCTION wink

You seem right though.
/Technician/ I love your branding specifier grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lady Cleans Makeup Off The Faces Of Ladies Who Offered Her N1.5k After Service / Lady Who Does Fixing Of P.O.P For A Living Shares Powerful Message (Photos) / Dangote Cement Sacks 3000 Staff Without Notice, Due Process - Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.