Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update (2168 Views)

ASUU strike update / ASUU Strike Update: ASUU To Announce Continuation Or Suspension Today. / ASUU Strike Update: BUK Kano, UI, ABSU, ATBU Others Voted To Continue Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by slyayok: 6:35am On Jun 24, 2022
Please, Sinkhole what is the latest update regarding this strike? The ASUU president had said the Union did not receive any invitation to yesterday's meeting hence, it's cancellation. When do we expect them to meet? are there still possibilities of calling off the strike this month? what are the hopes of Nigerian students? The frustration is getting out of hand, Mehn, please respond to these @Sinkhole and any other stakeholder that has valid info, thank you

1 Like

Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by Legendforte: 6:42am On Jun 24, 2022
The meeting didnt take place. People were unsure of the mentioned by the labour minister. Wheather this week's thursday or the next remained uncertain.
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by Lastbornbuns: 7:04am On Jun 24, 2022
Sinkhole please come. This week has ended and we're still as we were.
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by khingTony(m): 7:10am On Jun 24, 2022
Sinkhole don turn consultant grin

But, This thing is super frustrating.

Sometimes, I just wish ASUU can come up with another alternative to pressing home their demands other than strikes. Haba!
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by sinkhole: 7:31am On Jun 24, 2022
khingTony:

Sometimes, I just wish ASUU can come up with another alternative to pressing home their demands other than strikes. Haba!
My Brother, you see my life sooo cheesy Na so I become an unwilling consultant o grin
Consultant without pay cool
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by Shineoneday: 7:34am On Jun 24, 2022
sinkhole:
My Brother, you see my life sooo cheesy Na so I become an unwilling consultant o grin

Lolzzzz..
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by Lastbornbuns: 7:37am On Jun 24, 2022
sinkhole:
Consultant General smiley please tell us something
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by sinkhole: 7:37am On Jun 24, 2022
Lastbornbuns:
Sinkhole please come. This week has ended and we're still as we were.
Bros, I no be ASUU member neither am I an FG delegate at their meetings, if I get information I will release it and if the info turns out to be wrong, sorry I owe nobody any apology embarassed
NOTE: I never said strike will be over this week, not even next week, but I am very sure that both ASUU and FG are trying everything they could to make sure the strike ends very very soon! FG has agreed to many issues of ASUU except for the payment platform (IPPIS or UTAS), FG seems to be adamant on IPPIS while ASUU seems not to want to shift ground on UTAS.

1 Like

Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by Shineoneday: 7:39am On Jun 24, 2022
khingTony:

Honestly!!
If I say ASUU isnt thinking it would seem somehow ,
At least they should have waited after the election then they can go on strike not now that FG is occupied with elections..
June don de finish .
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by sinkhole: 7:42am On Jun 24, 2022
Shineoneday:

Honestly!!
If I say ASUU isnt thinking it would seem somehow ,
At least they should have waited after the election then they can go on strike not now that FG is occupied with elections..
June don de finish .
From what I am even able to gather, FG has already agreed to most of their demands except this their UTAS thing! To me, I think they should just collect their salaries and leave the IPPIS alone!

1 Like

Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by sinkhole: 7:59am On Jun 24, 2022
slyayok:
Please, Sinkhole what is the latest update regarding this strike? The ASUU president had said the Union did not receive any invitation to yesterday's meeting hence, it's cancellation. When do we expect them to meet? are there still possibilities of calling off the strike this month? what are the hopes of Nigerian students? The frustration is getting out of hand, Mehn, please respond to these @Sinkhole and any other stakeholder that has valid info, thank you
OP, abeg wetin be dis nau? Just remove that Sinkhole thing from your title, please! embarassed
You can mention me within your thread and I will respond, if I get anything.
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by Shineoneday: 8:01am On Jun 24, 2022
sinkhole:
From what I am even able to gather, FG has already agreed to most of their demands except this their UTAS thing! To me, I think they should just collect their salaries and leave the IPPIS alone!

Exactly!! They are the employee here and FG is the employer so they shouldn't be telling employer how they want to be paid, and telling the public it's for the good of the student .
FG isn't agreeing
ASUU doesn't want to back down
Student are the ones affected.

It's obvious FG doesn't value education, but as an educational body (ASUU) they should understand the effect these unnecessary strike is having on the students and be reasonable to know that FG might not answer all their Demands.
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by sinkhole: 8:08am On Jun 24, 2022
Shineoneday:

Exactly!! They are the employee here and FG is the employer so they shouldn't be telling employer how they want to be paid, and telling the public it's for the good of the student .
FG isn't agreeing
ASUU doesn't want to back down
Student are the ones affected.

It's obvious FG doesn't value education, but as an educational body (ASUU) they should understand the effect these unnecessary strike is having on the students and be reasonable to know that FG might not answer all their Demands.
From the info I have o, if FG implement what they approved for ASUU in salary increament, you will see many of them buying new cars soon and I pity some of them that will be kidnapped shocked

2 Likes

Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by sinkhole: 8:21am On Jun 24, 2022
Thank you @slyayok, for editing the title, I really appreciate cheesy
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by sinkhole: 8:40am On Jun 24, 2022
There was no meeting yesterday, Thursday 23th of June, 2022.
According to Prof Osodeke, on ChannelsTV and he seems to be blaming Ngige for drawing the hands of negotiation back.
Osodeke claimed that progress was made before Ngige came back and things seems to be going back now!
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by Godswilleee(m): 8:45am On Jun 24, 2022
The most people affected in this strike are federal university. State university are now calling back their students
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by Lastbornbuns: 8:50am On Jun 24, 2022
sinkhole:
There was no meeting yesterday, Thursday 23th of June, 2022.
Prof Osodeke just said so on ChannelsTV and he seems to be blaming Ngige for drawing the hands of negotiation back.
Osodeke claimed that progress was made before Ngige came back and things seems to be going back now!
Why is Ngige always showing himself when he is not minister of education?!
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by Lawl(m): 8:54am On Jun 24, 2022
Abeg o
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by sinkhole: 8:55am On Jun 24, 2022
Lastbornbuns:

He said he is a Chief Negotiator and everybody must report to him finally but unfortunately he is now drawing things back by calling for a meeting without sending notice to the concerned parties!
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by Lastbornbuns: 8:59am On Jun 24, 2022
sinkhole:
He said he is a Chief Negotiator and everybody must report to him finally but unfortunately he is now drawing things back by calling for a meeting without sending notice to the concerned parties!
He should be removed from that team. How can you make enemies with the people you're supposed to negotiate with?
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by AAA593: 9:05am On Jun 24, 2022
Ngige leave us alone says ASUU. Ngige na devil
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by AAA593: 9:11am On Jun 24, 2022
sinkhole:
Which chief negotiator?
Briggs committee is now in charge and not Ngige anymore. FG setup that committee to renegotiate with ASUU and not with Ngige. The committee is to report back to FG.
To ASUU, renegotiate and implement before we call off the strike.
UTAS/ippis wahala still dey o.
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by AAA593: 9:14am On Jun 24, 2022
Lastbornbuns:

Ngige has been deceiving Nigerians for months now. ASUU will no longer renegotiate with him. That man na devil

1 Like

Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by sinkhole: 9:21am On Jun 24, 2022
AAA593:

Which chief negotiator?
Briggs committee is now in charge and not Ngige anymore. FG setup that committee to renegotiate with ASUU and not with Ngige. The committee is to report back to FG.
To ASUU, renegotiate and implement before we call off the strike.
UTAS/ippis wahala still dey o.
Actually, the proper word is, Chief Conciliator.
The Briggs' committee is just a committee set up by the Ministry of Education: they report to the ministry of education and they have since finished their own work.
It is Ngige that will sit all of them down (Education, Finance, NUC, ASUU, SSANU, NASU , NAAT, NITDA, etc) and finalize the agreement and then present to the Federal Executive Council (FEC) for approval.
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by Lastbornbuns: 9:30am On Jun 24, 2022
19 weeks of strike undecided more than enough to finish one semester
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by AAA593: 9:31am On Jun 24, 2022
sinkhole:
Actually, the proper word is, Chief Conciliator.
The Briggs' committee is just a committee set up by the Ministry of Education: they report to the ministry of education and they have since finished their own work.
It is Ngige that will sit all of them down (Education, Finance, NUC, ASUU, SSANU, NASU , NAAT, NITDA, etc) and finalize the agreement and then present to the Federal Executive Council (FEC) for approval.
The right person to discuss with ASUU is the minister of education
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by sinkhole: 9:36am On Jun 24, 2022
AAA593:

The right person to discuss with ASUU is the minister of education
You're right, and that is why they set up Briggs committee to help them do the talking and they have since finished their talks, unfortunately, the problem of the Universities does not end with just the Education Ministry! There is issue of finance (Ministry of Finance), issue of technicalty of payment platform (NITDA), you can not leave out the National Universities Commission (NUC) out of things like this, and so on. Besides, the whole problem is a labour issue and that is where Ngige comes in!
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by AAA593: 9:37am On Jun 24, 2022
sinkhole:
IPPIS is an infringement on universities’ right to autonomy. Central payroll system cannot work in our universities. No be ministry work o.

Also, there are certain peculiarities which IPPIS does not cater for in the university system. Some of these are sabbatical staff, adjunct lecturers, contract staff, and other academic allowances for working in more than one institution.” this is a global practice.

IPPIS with malicious deductions na wahala. Remember our Accountant General grin

3 Likes

Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by AAA593: 9:37am On Jun 24, 2022
sinkhole:
You're right, and that is why they set up Briggs committee to help them do the talking and they have since finished their talks, unfortunately, the problem of the Universities does not end with just the Education Ministry! There is issue of finance (Ministry of Finance), issue of technicalty of payment platform (NITDA), you can not leave out the National Universities Commission (NUC) out of things like this, and so on. Besides, the whole problem is a labour issue and that is where Ngige comes in!
Devil Ngige should not go close to that committee
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by sinkhole: 9:46am On Jun 24, 2022
AAA593:

IPPIS is an infringement on universities’ right to autonomy. Central payroll system cannot work in our universities. No be ministry work o.

Also, there are certain peculiarities which IPPIS does not cater for in the university system. Some of these are sabbatical staff, adjunct lecturers, contract staff, and other academic allowances for working in more than one institution.” this is a global practice.

IPPIS with malicious deductions na wahala. Remember our Accountant General grin
Argument of FG (Ngige) is that approving UTAS for University will mean everybody will start bringing their own platforms, already the University is having two different platforms presented: that obviously is chaos and his argument is logical!
Why can't ASUU fight for the domestication of the IPPIS?

1 Like

Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by AAA593: 9:47am On Jun 24, 2022
sinkhole:
Argument of FG (Ngige) is that approving UTAS for University will mean everybody will start bringing their own platforms, already the University is having two different platforms presented: that obviously is chaos and his argument is logical!
Why can't ASUU fight for the domestication of the IPPIS?
Then return back to gifmis
Re: ASUU STRIKE UPDATE: Latest Update by sinkhole: 9:50am On Jun 24, 2022
AAA593:

Then return back to gifmis
Similar to Gifmis!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Lions Sleep In Trees / Adekunle Ajasin University Post-utme(2012/2013) Forms Are Out!!! / Federal Polytechnic Idah POST-UTME Screening Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.