Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,357 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

What Is The Way Forward For Me - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is The Way Forward For Me (599 Views)

N200k/month Earning Is No Longer The Way Out / What Is The Way Forward For A Fresh Graduate? / Career Option And Way Forward For 20 Years Old Biology Education Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Way Forward For Me by kendological(m): 3:26pm On Jun 25, 2022
I am in my early thirties;
Single (but searching for an independent lady, all things being as they are now);
A mostly self self- sponsored Law graduate of NOUN, I came from a humble background.

I manage a POS stand, I plan to start a
new business but I am yet to gather enough finance for that.
And I am having this pressure from people to marry-in form of advice(which I find intruding anyways), but my financial status is strong enough to marry but not to raise a family.
Now, the Nigerian law school has given our first set of Law graduates the admission, although the programme is divided into the "Preliminary" and bar part II , each of this programme cost 300,000 Let me keep 150,000 for feeding and textbooks. The total budget for law school becomes 750,000 Naira. This estimate is very economical.
Studying in Nigerian Law School is full time and quite elitist, if I put all available fund into law school I will be starting afresh after graduation, considering the job market and remuneration for young lawyers.

Fellow Nairalanders, including the lawyers in the house, please advise me on if and when I should do each of the 3 items I will list below, especially vis-a-vis the other items:
1. Attending law school
2. Starting a new business
3.Getting married

1 Like

Re: What Is The Way Forward For Me by Emmypure: 4:39pm On Jun 25, 2022
Comot marriage for the picture, you only have 2 option.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Way Forward For Me by CrazyMan(m): 5:54pm On Jun 25, 2022
Emmypure:
Comot marriage for the picture, you only have 2 option.
Op go with this advice, delete marriage from your options.

Back to the two options, it all depends on you, if you still have that urge and determination to finish your academics and believe in a successful career in law, go ahead and proceed to the law school.

If you feel that law is overrated and there would be basically no job for you upon graduation from law school, and you're convinced that you can make it big in business, then by all means tour the business path.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Way Forward For Me by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jun 25, 2022
I am also of the opinion that you strike out marriage from your options. Atleast for now.

Now concerning NLS, have you thought it through and are convinced about the possibility of you practicing? Are you motivated enough to go through the hurdles of NLS and the career practice with all the rigour of carving a niche for yourself? If yes, then you can do it. I would advice you stick with NLS campuses in a state like Yola. It isn't an expensive state.

As regards the business option, do you think you stand a better chance of succeeding business wise than practicing? Everything balls down to your believe. None of your option is an easy route. All requires risk.
Re: What Is The Way Forward For Me by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:57pm On Jun 25, 2022
I think you should focus on the business. If you aren't sure of making a first class in law school, it's not worth the investment. Salary for new lawyers is between 10 to 30k and that's in Lagos. It's even worse in other states. Your business won't survive by the time you come out of law school since it will take all your time. If you are sure of first class, you can go to law school. The first class graduates from law school are automatically recruited to reputable law firms that pay "okay" salaries.
Re: What Is The Way Forward For Me by SavageBoy: 11:40pm On Jun 25, 2022
@op think in line with tensa advice.

Give law school a shot if you're sure of getting a first class in law school. It will make no sense if after you finish law school you now start building up your business from scratch, something you would have built if you weren't absent.

And by the way, strike out marriage from your mind
That would be a misplaced priority(for now)
Re: What Is The Way Forward For Me by AgentGoat: 4:37pm On Jun 26, 2022
kendological:
I am in my early thirties;
Single (but searching for an independent lady, all things being as they are now);
A mostly self self- sponsored Law graduate of NOUN, I came from a humble background.

I manage a POS stand, I plan to start a
new business but I am yet to gather enough finance for that.
And I am having this pressure from people to marry-in form of advice(which I find intruding anyways), but my financial status is strong enough to marry but not to raise a family.
Now, the Nigerian law school has given our first set of Law graduates the admission, although the programme is divided into the "Preliminary" and bar part II , each of this programme cost 300,000 Let me keep 150,000 for feeding and textbooks. The total budget for law school becomes 750,000 Naira. This estimate is very economical.
Studying in Nigerian Law School is full time and quite elitist, if I put all available fund into law school I will be starting afresh after graduation, considering the job market and remuneration for young lawyers.

Fellow Nairalanders, including the lawyers in the house, please advise me on if and when I should do each of the 3 items I will list below, especially vis-a-vis the other items:
1. Attending law school
2. Starting a new business
3.Getting married

Leave marriage. Because you dey hear if person marry doors go open abi? hehehe na lie. Purse your career first make we know say that one you don get am solid for hand first.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Way Forward For Me by Cerebellum: 8:04pm On Jun 26, 2022
You want to get married because of pressure from the outside world?grin

I dey pity you, those people telling you to go ahead with marriage will be the one gossiping about how bro Emeka is knacking your wife and cursing you for your incapability.

Build yourself first!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Way Forward For Me by showafrica(m): 2:46am On Jun 27, 2022
Cerebellum:
You want to get married because of pressure from the outside world?grin

I dey pity you, those people telling you to go ahead with marriage will be the one gossiping about how bro Emeka is knacking your wife and cursing you for your incapability.

Build yourself first!

LOL, as it is now, anything less than 500k per month as a man, don't think marriage
Re: What Is The Way Forward For Me by kendological(m): 10:54am On Jun 27, 2022
AgentGoat:

Leave marriage. Because you dey hear if person marry doors go open abi? hehehe na lie. Purse your career first make we know say that one you don get am solid for hand first.

My mother is the number one supporter I marry, while consoling me that with a good lady, it will be alright with time.
My father supports my personal opinion–I am not ripe for marriage, mother wants me to give her the job of looking for a wife for me even. cheesy grin
Re: What Is The Way Forward For Me by Cerebellum: 1:12pm On Jun 27, 2022
showafrica:

LOL, as it is now, anything less than 500k per month as a man, don't think marriage

Actually, no amount of money is enough after getting married.

A wise man once told mewink

(1) (Reply)

Mckinsey Or Ndic / Fundamentals Of Islamic Finance / Get Your Bachelors Degree Now:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.