Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Why Did You Become An Atheist - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did You Become An Atheist (26999 Views)

Why Did Pastor Isaac Oyedepo Lose So Much Weight? / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Maxpro121: 7:57pm On Jun 29, 2022
sundaygray:
Omo i observed the life, learned different religions sat down and thought about life in general and also, never had a spiritual encounter i have spent money, a lot of money for a spiritual encounter but no level baba.The lack of evidence just make me chill. Unless God appears and shows himself to me, no level grin

can we talk pls? Have you ever believe in god? At what point do you find out that you'v all these yrs believed a lie?
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Jun 29, 2022
sinkhole:
grin grin cheesy Bible should have told us
it didn't need to since that is made clear in the story for anyone with a a brain really. This is logic 101! undecided

If you are told all(males and females) are descended from Adam and Eve then it follows that all are genetically linked to Adam and Eve. This no be rocket science abeg! undecided
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Doctortest: 8:06pm On Jun 29, 2022
Personally I believe in God. Though I really got some tingling little questions like : how come some old rock carvings show things that you exist 100 of years later
Also has anyone heard of the Rael movt , rael.org which depicts that the aliens created mankind some pretty convincing claims there lol but me I still no believe jare . God is the ultimate
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Ipp1: 8:09pm On Jun 29, 2022
Not me
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Michael547(m): 8:09pm On Jun 29, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I haven't read the entire Quran. Maybe a few bits and pieces here and there. But it still seems to be just about the same thing. No religious text so far, seems to offer reasonable evidence-backed knowledge on the nature of our reality. Emphasis on evidence-backed.
I have been loving your submission so far....can we talk on WhatsApp l?? This is my number 08167469103
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Karnice600: 8:21pm On Jun 29, 2022
Angel55555:

This is where most folks get it wrong, the Spanish and Portuguese who invaded and conquered SA were military officers or "gold seekers" who were acting on orders of the King of both Spain and Portugal, nothing religious about it.
It was after the invasion that the church decided to spread Christianity and also educate the natives.

Its still the same thing I stated. RC is more political than religious, birthed from the papacy of the Vatican, the centre of Pagan worship of the goddess of the sun..,They churned Christianity with pagan worship into a blend of doctrine as well as a political order that was spread by the military might of Rome.
Christianity already had its momentum way before then without violence even up till the time of Emperor Nero till today.
Colonization was a political move rather than religious. You're right.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Michael547(m): 8:23pm On Jun 29, 2022
Akalia:
For the record, I won't blame many atheists partly for not believing in the existence of the Almighty Jehovah GOD but I will rather blame religion for imparting the wrong knowledge of GOD in them when they were still conformists.

You see, religion was supposed to help people find their path to the throne of the almighty but instead it only brings utter confusion to the minds of conformists. This confusion arises from a myriad of misconceptions about God, doctrines and dogmas crafted by man's imagination instead of by God's inspiration.

Personally, I do not identify with any religion but I identify as a believer- a believer of the gospel, the finished work of christ on the cross of calvary; the trinity, heaven and hell and all other things based on biblical knowledge solely.

Today's contemporary Religions are all man made and do not reflect God's inspired religion in anyway, if you doubt me then read James 1:27 to understand what true religion is all about.

My advice to all Atheists and wannabe Atheists out there is to turn away from whatever dissapointments they experienced while conforming to religion in the time past.

GOD truly exists, no bullshitting here but to attest to his existence one has got to connect on a personal basis through Jesus christ and not through some religion or religious leader.
I like your idea......but can we talk more from the bible This is my WhatsApp number 08167469103.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by ThankGodFriday(m): 8:25pm On Jun 29, 2022
Religion
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Karnice600: 8:29pm On Jun 29, 2022
Spicyneedle:
If these arguments are to go on till another 100 centuries we won't still find the right answers.

But here is the true facts
You can't be a deep thinker and read the bible and the stories and not question the existence of God.

What is the fate of these deep thinkers?
Most of them became atheists and some their views about God changed.

But does that mean God doesn't exist?

This is a question you either answer by yourself or let the religion you are brought into answer it for you, you should know what the later means "mental slavery"

Yeah, thats when you read the Bible down side up.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Michael547(m): 8:30pm On Jun 29, 2022
FrauleinBlossom:

Atheists may well be the weirdest folks I know, but in some ways, I've come to respect them..
It is difficult to find humans today who still do good for the sake of the happiness and benefits it affords other fellow humans without expectations therefrom. Most of our seemingly good actions today are propelled by the promise of a reward, whether of an earthly nature or an eternal one. There's the 'Oh let me just help this man, I believe God will in turn help me' underlying attitude to our actions.
But the atheists? These people do not believe in a God nor do they expect eternal rewards, but you still find them (some of them anyway) do good.. solely for goodness sake, for the fulfilment, joy and happiness it brings. I think this is worth emulating.. Well perhaps, the only thing good worth emulating in them.
Now, before I confer far too much credit upon these folks than they deserve.. I wish to also reveal their apparent folly. Yes indeed, it is folly to have become far too neglectful as to deny the obvious and embrace conceit. As little as we are as humans in the face of this gigantic universe, we assume we know too much as to think we have an opinion in matters of eternity not to mention 'Divinity'.. Just picture to yourself, an earthworm below the soil surface, boasting of superiority and claiming complete control of the earth crust in utter disregard for the humans that walk above it!
It is not difficult to find God and be convinced of His existence, there's a certain drive within us as humans to discover Him, whether in form of search for a reason, for continued living or a sense of purpose.. This urge is naturally present in every man and the more open we are to true knowledge, the more radiant are these flickering sparks within us and the closer we get to finding God.
I've acquainted with a few atheists and I've noticed a pattern in their reasoning.. Most of these people have a religious background which is responsible for their doubts and misinformed resolutions. Well that takes only a fragment of the blame away from them, the many gaps, disconnections, unanswered questions, contradictions and blind faith demanded of them from their former religious circles plunge them into a state of weariness and eventually they give up on their search.. And arrive at the conclusion that it is all fallacy!
The stronger this resolution becomes, the more suppressed is that natural urge in form of living sparks to discover God and finally a complete deadening. Their reasoning and awareness then become limited to time and space and nothing else makes sense that is not scientifically proven nor logically conclusive. What these people fail to realize is that even science knows there's is more to what we can see, feel and touch, it acknowledges the existence of a source or universal power or energy that animates every living substance and brings about the order and laws that guide all matter.
Just look at the blooming flowers in the garden, the green vegetation, the trees and the fruits they bear, the mountains, landscapes and Meadows, the sun, moon and stars, take a moment and think carefully about these... There has got to be some power that brings about the order we notice amongst these things and fuels the motion in them.
The mistake we made from the very beginning is that we have narrowed down the concept of God to fit our human ways of reasoning with all its limitations, we assume God is a man with supernatural powers seated on a throne in a world far above us and overseeing our every actions. The truth is, we cannot begin to conceptualize the nature of The Godhead and should only be content with the fact that He simply Is!
Just like the sun lights up the entire earth, in an inconceivable and unapproachable distance, So also does God as the only Living Power and Light give life and light to this entire creation. You need only experience life in a child-like manner, free from all assumptions and intellectual calculations to be convinced of this truth. Even those who claim to be believers of God possess no real knowledge nor conviction about this, but merely stand blindly on a learned and borrowed faith. Give them another earth life where they are born amongst the so-called heathens and pagans and see if they don't join in the audible denial.
Well, I expect that many atheists might read this and merely scorn or laugh in ridicule.. But I will advise that you reconsider your positions and choose the safer side, what I mean is this; atheists believe in the finality of death, that is.. No continued existence after death, they believe it all ends here, just live, die and that's it.. But Believers in God on the other hand believe otherwise. Now, (speaking to the atheist) if it so happens that you are wrong in your disbelief, and you eventually die.. You have everything to lose, because you'd be forced to face a world you have denied its existence all your earth life, and do you know what it would be like for you in that world? I assure you, it's better imagined than experienced.. But if indeed (For the sake of logic) that you're right in your disbelief, then isn't the fate the Same for all of us, (both the believers and non believers)?? to die and cease to exist?? Pray tell then, Who stands on the safest conviction?!
You all claim to be intelligent folks, so I'd leave you to answer for yourselves.
I love your witeup...really deep....I would like is to discuss more....here is my WhatsApp number 08167469103
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by JesusIsAMuslim: 8:30pm On Jun 29, 2022
There is God, the one true God. The one that needs no sons and daughters. The Knower of the hour, one with the knowledge of all things. One that makes no mistakes, the master planner. He worships none and you all must bow to him. He's no Muhammed, Jesus, Moses, Buddha or Sango. It might be Allah, Jehovah, Oluwa, Gott or whatever you choose to identify him as, but I know him to be the creator of the heavens and the earth and more.

He doesn't need no help, no woman and definitely no offsprings. He forgives who he wants and punishes who he so desires. He needs no sacrificial lamb to forgive you. He's not insane and he doesn't need to prove anything to you for his praise to be sung. He loves you unconditionally and he's the most merciful. God is one and can never be three-in-one.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Michael547(m): 8:34pm On Jun 29, 2022
Sochimaobim:

Please why should I trust you? I don’t wanna take your words for it because that’s what I have been doing all my life: Taking people’s words for it.
Do you mind sharing with me what really made you know that he exists. I am at a very critical point in my life when I am actually beginning to question his existence. I really want to believe there is God, but honestly, there is nothing I can point to as an evidence
I cann help you....chat me up on WhatsApp 08167469103
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by sinkhole: 8:44pm On Jun 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
it didn't need to since that is made clear in the story for anyone with a a brain really. This is logic 101! undecided

If you are told all(males and females) are descended from Adam and Eve then it follows that all are genetically linked to Adam and Eve. This no be rocket science abeg! undecided
So we are free to use our brains to fill-in the gaps in the Bible?

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Amarachieze(m): 8:47pm On Jun 29, 2022
Atheists are actually the strongest " belivers" I have ever seen and met. This is because it is more rigorous, difficult and more of a hokus pokus to believe that God does not exist than to believe He exist.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by LifeCoachAndre: 8:48pm On Jun 29, 2022
Too risky not to believe in God...what if you die and find out there is a God and its too late cos you are dead. It really wont cost you anything to believe, except discipline which ultimately is for your own good. As long as Godliness is a positive message as captured in the holy books to maintain global order then its better to believe. The biggest problems and threat to world are free thinkers who believe nobody can tell them what to do...atheism is a mental and gradual self destruction mechanism.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by nextstep(m): 8:54pm On Jun 29, 2022
tiger28:
Sooooo the big bang made your nose , eyes, reproductive organs to make Babies, your liver etc

Some of you have been Sooooo deceived to even argue with.

Atheism is Human's "Convenient" excuse to do as they wish without any restraint!

A man can now go and kill many, thinking there is no repercussion or consequence.

Nobody knows for sure, but some of us find the transition from energy to atoms to proteins to life a much more compelling story than the one about a magical creator that wills things into existence.

Religion is just humanity's way of explaining the Universe and their role in it. There have been countless religions, each confident that their story is the sole truth. You have only adopted another culture's religion. Objectilvely, if the Romans had lasted long enough to colonize us, we'd probably be arguing about their pantheon today.

Genesis is not any better than the Yoruba one about a chicken coming from heaven and spreading the sand to make Earth. The similarities between so many other religions (which the Abrahamic ones are so contemptuous of), makes one question the suppposed superiority of any mythology.

Just think, if we were having this discussion before either of us heard about the Abrahamic God, we might be arguing over the existense of Ala or Olodumare (which are basically equivalent, as the supreme being), but have different origins and stories about them.

The irony of your statment about a man killing many is that religion - and not the lack of it - is often the justification to kill. Rare are the number of atrocities done by atheists.

As rational beings, we don't need a deux to tell us it's wrong to kill.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Karnice600: 8:56pm On Jun 29, 2022
Science disputed Biblical accounts initially, not anymore after most recent discoveries.
If you read the Bible like a story book, you'll judge it like one.
Nehemiah and Daniel were contemporaries but if you look at the chapter arrangement you'll think they are 10 generations apart.
Between Genesis Chapter 1 vs 1 and vs 2 are millions of years apart. This agrees with science. Read on the gap theory.

Atheist have their will.
But I can't be too dumb to claim what I don't understand doesn't exist.
Everyone thought Dalton was right about atomic structures, cos his assertion appealed to basic human logic. A greater scientist, Einstein checked in later and discovered a concept about the electron cloud. A fact that defied logic. That an electron can be present in more than one point in an atom at a time. Does that make sense? Of course no.
Bats (not Tinubu), fly by the aid of reflected sound in frequencies that our ears can't detect. Do I then dispute that because I can't hear it? Stupid.
You only have five senses to detect and respond to the vast features and elements of creation.., and you want to boldly summarise what reality is by your limited perceptions?
Stupid. Absolutely stupid.
If you're an atheist and you believe in your doctor, then you're a clown.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by LienwaltAbel(m): 9:00pm On Jun 29, 2022
Karnice600:

Good findings.
Forceful expansion wasn't and isn't a Scriptural doctrine for Christians unlike islam . Colonialism wasn't driven by the quest to spread religion. Religious influence just like cultural influence, was a by product colonization. Its different from the case of what fell Constantinople and the Usman Dan Fodio quest to spread a religion.
Finally we've reached an agreement. I agree with you.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Maynman: 9:04pm On Jun 29, 2022
Karnice600:

Good findings.
Forceful expansion wasn't and isn't a Scriptural doctrine for Christians unlike islam . Colonialism wasn't driven by the quest to spread religion. Religious influence just like cultural influence, was a by product colonization. Its different from the case of what fell Constantinople and the Usman Dan Fodio quest to spread a religion.

Heard of the “crusaders”?

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by nextstep(m): 9:05pm On Jun 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Really? You condemn the man who firsts invented knives? undecided

God didn't make wicked people. He instead made man good. Then he gave to man the choice of good and evil, and man chose evil. undecided

2. That's irrational thinking there since you have absolutely no way of confirming that what I know isnt in fact the absolute Truth. You instead assume it isn't because you would rather believe so than trust me claim. undecided

Neither of us have an objective way of confirming what we think, and I know that these dicsussions hardly end anywhere - I assume you're wrong, and you assume I'm wrong. I have no reason to trust your claim, anymore than you to trust my claim.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Maynman: 9:07pm On Jun 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Really? You condemn the man who firsts invented knives? undecided

God didn't make wicked people. He instead made man good. Then he gave to man the choice of good and evil, and man chose evil. undecided

2. That's irrational thinking there since you have absolutely no way of confirming that what I know isnt in fact the absolute Truth. You instead assume it isn't because you would rather believe so than trust me claim. undecided

Who invented knives? Is the inventor also all knowing?

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by nextstep(m): 9:08pm On Jun 29, 2022
aribisala0:
Well Zeus is God ? Yes or no?

3000+ years ago, yes people thought that Zeus existed and was responsible for thunder and keeping order, though we're not quite sure about how things were created. They even had a story about him killing his father (Chronus aka time, which eventually consumes all things), and freeing his siblings from Chronus' grasp.

Today we smile bemused that people could fervently believe it... in the same way atheists are bemused by the fervent claims of Abrahamic religions today.

If we seem like heretics, please forgive us, for the similarities between what we now call myths, to what we now call religions, are too numerous to ignore

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jun 29, 2022
Princewill1:
I realize that there is no "God or any intelligent creator" residing anywhere in or outside of the universe when i started researching about the Universe, Astronomy, and the big bang.

We shouldn't attack any persons for their faith in God. The human specie is still evolving, there will come a point where there will be general realization of the non existence of God.

What big bang!? Even the big bang is subject to debate and are backed by questionable theories and practicals and has been changed by new evidences and items taken from the moon. Make una dey watch una DStv Discovery channels well. Every chemistry physics of this world is a subject to all new proven calculations and evidence.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Maynman: 9:12pm On Jun 29, 2022
snookcg:

What big bang!? Even the big bang is subject to debate and are backed by questionable theories and practicals and has been changed by new evidences and items taken from the moon. Make una dey watch una DStv Discovery channels well. Every chemistry physics of this world is a subject to all new proven calculations and evidence.

Now using the same standard you use for Big Bang theory, isn’t the religion narratives more dumb?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by abdulwassi(m): 9:16pm On Jun 29, 2022
sundaygray:
Omo i observed the life, learned different religions sat down and thought about life in general and also, never had a spiritual encounter i have spent money, a lot of money for a spiritual encounter but no level baba.The lack of evidence just make me chill. Unless God appears and shows himself to me, no level grin

So you think it's my ur might you sleep n wake up every morning? A wise man would never wish what u just wished.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Solofresh2: 9:20pm On Jun 29, 2022
sundaygray:
Apparently,if you go outside the box (Nigeria) you will know that religion is more than Christianity and Islam.
I stayed in India for years and i can tell you that the only religion that don't depend solely on God is Hinduism.Hinduism teaches about living a good life irrespective of the God you worship.
How can you say you serve only one God and you have a different religion (Christian and Muslims).
The universe is what favours humans

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Karnice600: 9:21pm On Jun 29, 2022
Maynman:

Heard of the “crusaders”?

Sure. I mentioned that earlier.
The horse riders with the cross emblem.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jun 29, 2022
Anybody questioning the existence of God on here is just new at that feeling and i can bet that you are not the first. So calm down and appreciate your existence. Oluwa is involved.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On Jun 29, 2022
sinkhole:
So we are free to use our brains to fill-in the gaps in the Bible?
All I did there was use what is basic language comprehension skills which anyone who understands any human language can pretty much boast, at least to some level, of having. Is comprehension an exercise in filling-in-the blanks ? undecided
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by crystalmoon(m): 9:36pm On Jun 29, 2022
Friend22:

Attention seeker!

The lack of evidence is proof of the fact that you are extremely dull..

If you even observed tge way your body works there us no way that it would be evolution.

Even scientist acknowledged the fact that this world is too complex for it to be as a result of random-self assembly-big bang theory.

Just observe you'll see the markings, signs and wonderment of our Creator.
Which scientist told you that
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Kobojunkie: 9:37pm On Jun 29, 2022
nextstep:
Neither of us have an objective way of confirming what we think, and I know that these dicsussions hardly end anywhere - I assume you're wrong, and you assume I'm wrong. I have no reason to trust your claim, anymore than you to trust my claim.
There you go again pretending to speak for me. I already confirmation for what is my belief. And my belief, I know is Truth. You may not have and know what I know but we are definitely not in the same boat. undecided

By the way, up until October 2017, I used to be atheist myself. I was never a believer before the faithful night it all turned for me. And it has never been the way it used to everyday since then... undecided
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by charlsecy(m): 9:43pm On Jun 29, 2022
sundaygray:
Unless God appears and shows himself to me, no level grin
I think it takes even greater faith to be an atheist. Why not choose, "I do not know if GOD exists or not," instead of "GOD doesn't exist?" The former is wiser!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (24) (Reply)

Efolk: / 19 Manipulative Tactics Nigerian Pastors Use To Collect Money By Aroms Aigbehi / Is It Normal To See The Spirit Of A Dead Relative?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.