Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Why Did You Become An Atheist - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did You Become An Atheist (26933 Views)

Why Did Pastor Isaac Oyedepo Lose So Much Weight? / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Maynman: 6:28pm On Jun 29, 2022
Eddygourdo:
from my description and your response, it is clear you aren't at the level for me to this type of conversation with, if that is what you understood from all I said. Do not make the error to assume I wanted to convince you to believe In God. I do not care at all what you believe in. Even God doesn't care. Take care bro.

From your level and response I know you are a Chrestian.
God is a title not a person, hope you know Chrestian.

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Livingshadow: 6:28pm On Jun 29, 2022
Who says there are no proofs of God's existence. Then consider these: # man -made things support the undisputable fact that man is endowed with creative nature and abilities. This means all creatures must have a Creator or an inventor. And since man cannot create mankind it therefore means man was created by a Creator. # Both the atheist and the theist all believe in something higher than the common. The atheist , though, does not believe in the existence of God,yet believes in something higher----no God--- and it keeps them going just like the theist's belief keeps them going. This supports the age-long assertion that man had always craved to believe in something higher than the common . This in turn is a pointer to the existence of a higher realm . So everybody believes in something higher than the common.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by beejaay: 6:29pm On Jun 29, 2022
Karnice600:

I think most atheist get it all muddled up when they start tryna trace their way back through a hole and a bubble...
I got to this point too, but it always ended up in my looking stupid, until I asked the question, "What is the purpose of life?"
That was when lines began falling in places and the puzzles began fitting, creating a vivid picture of the dimensional realities that hold existence together.
I never hated the idea of a Creator, I only had an open mind to learn

From the view of our universe, life has no purpose... It is a continues cycle of creation and destruction.. The death of a start is the beginning of another star, the death of one tree is the beginning of another.. It is an endless transmutation of energy from one form to another.. If God exist then creation is just an amusement, like men creating toys for play..
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Dtruthspeaker: 6:30pm On Jun 29, 2022
Gosunndi:

My dear, I assure you, that's not how it feels. It feels like a depth of freedom and previlege. And gratitude to God, or whoever, lol.

I believe in questioning, and like the quote in my profile says
"By Doubting, we are led to Questioning. By Questioning, we arrive at The Truth"

Truth is what we live on and endless enquiry means one will never live.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 6:30pm On Jun 29, 2022
biafranrealson:

Being an atheist does not imply living a reckless life style.
To me the greatest order on earth for the world to be at peace is love your neighbor and anybody you meet.
Treat everyone with love and humanity will be in peace devoid of religion

Xtianity is not the only religion in the world. Xtian god is not the only god that people worship...right? So how do we know the accurate religion or god that will lead us to heaven? So which of the gods should we believe?

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by lebron7(m): 6:32pm On Jun 29, 2022
peggywebbs:
One thing I've learnt about atheists is that they have herd mentality. There are only very few atheists but you see the rest are either followers, angry people, and those who don't like extra activities.

However, the majority even from the comments are ex-christians. The common excuse is they are not convinced about the existence of God. So, many of them will simply tell you that's why they became atheist. What they won't tell you is the disappointment they have felt.

Many have had experiences where they thought or expected God to do something but they got nothing. In anger, they left the religion because they saw no point to it. While another group fall in the category of those forced to go to church as kids on Sunday. They'd rather be at home watching a movie or with their PS4. Growing up gave them the opportunity to stay back at home.

They got used to it and so Sundays became like every other day and they forgot about church. Since they don't bother well it's as good as there's no point of religion. Then the last group which constitute the majority is school. Well that's where most people don't go to church, I never did in school. But you see when someone says there's no God, the other person well thinks it's cool and they sort of become atheists by association. So they hang around and argue the whole idea why Christians are nuts. It's a fun conversation, they flow with it and then bam, they are now confirmed atheists.

So that's about it.

Lmfao
A Christian talking about herd mentality ��

4 Likes

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by beejaay: 6:32pm On Jun 29, 2022
compton11:
why directing your frustrations toward Islam.

Majority of atheists are former Christians grin grin
Islam has far more atheist than other religions but most are closet for fear of the aggression from Muslims which is their usual way for rejection, Muslims can kill for no reason, they have no brain to think that people have right of worship

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Michael547(m): 6:32pm On Jun 29, 2022
sundaygray:

I studied the bible too a lot. Everything sounded like a myth just like there’s Zeus and mount olympus, and santa. There’s lack of evidence that’s the problem.
I could help you with some bible study course that could answer your questions topic by topic from the bible. Holla me on 08167469103
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by wirinet(m): 6:35pm On Jun 29, 2022
tiger28:
Sooooo the big bang made your nose , eyes, reproductive organs to make Babies, your liver etc
Get some basic education about the big bang theory and evidence for its postulation.

Some of you have been Sooooo deceived to even argue with.
Says you that was first deceived by slave masters - European or Arab, and then scammed in the guise of Men of God.

Atheism is Human's "Convenient" excuse to do as they wish without any restraint!
If so then how do you explain Nigeria with over 99.9% theists and less than 0.1% atheist being the most unrestrained country in the world, where terrorism, corruption, yahoo yahoo and ritual murders are rife?

A man can now go and kill many, thinking there is no repercussion or consequence.
But all of the murders, kidnappings, ritual murders and organ harvesters are theists

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Michael547(m): 6:35pm On Jun 29, 2022
OkpaNsukkaisBae:

Xtianity is not the only religion in the world. Xtian god is not the only god that people worship...right? So how do we know the accurate religion or god that will lead us to heaven? So which of the gods should we believe?

The bible gives evidences why you should believe in the God of the bible....I could help with a bible study course that could help with your questions. My WhatsApp 08167469103
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by GreatAxeMan: 6:38pm On Jun 29, 2022
Sir, you're an agnostic not an atheist.

An agnostic is someone who doesn't believe in God, but is open to the idea of God if he receives material proof/evidence for God's existence.

An atheist on the other hand is someone who is 100% convinced that God has never existed and will never exist.

sundaygray:
Omo i observed the life, learned different religions sat down and thought about life in general and also, never had a spiritual encounter i have spent money, a lot of money for a spiritual encounter but no level baba.The lack of evidence just make me chill. Unless God appears and shows himself to me, no level grin
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by wirinet(m): 6:42pm On Jun 29, 2022
Michael547:

The bible gives evidences why you should believe in the God of the bible....I could help with a bible study course that could help with your questions. My WhatsApp 08167469103

Circular reasoning fallacy

4 Likes

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Michael547(m): 6:42pm On Jun 29, 2022
beejaay:

From the view of our universe, life has no purpose... It is a continues cycle of creation and destruction.. The death of a start is the beginning of another star, the death of one tree is the beginning of another.. It is an endless transmutation of energy from one form to another.. If God exist then creation is just an amusement, like men creating toys for play..
You have am interesting concept there. But do you really agree that that is all to life?? For us to just be here and live for some time and die?? Well the bible has a more satisfying answer to those questions I raised. Holla me on WhatsApp 08167469103
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Karnice600: 6:47pm On Jun 29, 2022
LienwaltAbel:

Judaism isn't even close to being as popular as Buddhism. Buddhism has more than ten times the followers of Judaism. By the way, Islam and Christianity spread mostly through warfare and colonialism. Do some research if you doubt me. I don't want seun's antispam bots to come after me.

Christianity didn't spread by violence bro. At least Jesus didn't spread it with the Sword unlike Muhammed did for Islam. I know you're talking about the Crusaders. That was a political move by Rome to spread the occult Catholic influence. Same Rome that persecuted the disciples of Jesus Christ. The Colonial Masters came with religion and technology intertwined and they were willfully accepted by the Africans as superior to what they had already, in so much that the influence still lingers after the Colonizers had left. Christianity was spread with civilization through education by the early missionaries.
Its a different ball game from Islam that has jihad enshrined in the Quran. E no relate at all.

Buddhist are more in numbers compared to the Jews, yes they are. But so long as Christianity or Islam thrives, Jerusalem would ever be significant to both. That's why the Jews will always be relevant irrespective of their numbers.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by ReacherSaidNoth: 6:47pm On Jun 29, 2022
Some people seem to be confused about atheism and agnosticism, both are not mutually exclusive.

Atheism: I don't believe in a god(s).
Theism: I believe in a god(s).

Agnosticism: I don't know whether or not a god(s) exists.
Gnosticism: I know for a fact that god(s) exists or I know for a fact they do not exist.

Most people who identify as Atheists are actually Agnostic Atheists.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by wirinet(m): 6:48pm On Jun 29, 2022
GreatAxeMan:
Sir, you're an agnostic not an atheist.

An agnostic is someone who doesn't believe in God, but is open to the idea of God if he receives material proof/evidence for God's existence.

An atheist on the other hand is someone who is 100% convinced that God has never existed and will never exist.

The problem with your distinction is your definition of God. The agnostic just like the atheist does not believe God is a Jewish man (or an arab man), with all human attributes dispensing justice using Jewish laws and customs on all.

The agnostic just like the atheist is open to the idea that a certain force might be responsible for the creation or start of the universe.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Michael547(m): 6:49pm On Jun 29, 2022
wirinet:

Circular reasoning fallacy
I appreciate the diagram you brought up. The diagram highlighted two questions that must be answered if one is to ever believe in the bible or God. We could discuss the answers to those questions on the diagram. My WhatsApp 08167469103
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Karnice600: 6:50pm On Jun 29, 2022
beejaay:

I'll call this a poem. Flare of literature.
Dig deep into nuclear physics or ask a nuclear physicist what he thinks. Those guys now agree with the idea of a higher intelligence behind a complex design as the universe
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by wirinet(m): 6:50pm On Jun 29, 2022
Karnice600:

Christianity didn't spread by violence bro. At least Jesus didn't spread it with the Sword unlike Muhammed did for Islam. I know you're talking about the Crusaders. That was a political move by Rome to spread the occult Catholic influence. Same Rome that persecuted the disciples of Jesus Christ. The Colonial Masters came with religion and technology intertwined and they were willfully accepted by the Africans as superior to what they had already, in so much that the influence still lingers after the Colonizers had left. Christianity was spread with civilization through education by the early missionaries.
Its a different ball game from Islam that has jihad enshrined in the Quran. E no relate at all.

Buddhist are more in numbers compared to the Jews, yes they are. But so long as Christianity or Islam thrives, Jerusalem would ever be significant to both. That's why the Jews will always be relevant irrespective of their numbers.

Then you have not read how Peruvians and South American people were converted to Christianity. They were forcefully converted with guns and sword.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Jacksparrow7(m): 6:51pm On Jun 29, 2022
Like for Logical human being
Share for Atheist
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by AminuRano87(m): 6:52pm On Jun 29, 2022
Because of the violence I see in the Quran and Hadisths and also the scientific errors therein
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Righthussle: 6:53pm On Jun 29, 2022
ajekpaks:

Mr. Sane, I agree I am mad because I refuse to accept the junk stuffed down your throats... I'm sorry

Ordinary Satan hold your God for work since Genesis, upon say Jesus don come earth yet na still same same... tell me WEtin come be the use exactly of God?

Na him use him hand create Satan, Satan Fuxk up, next thing e go create Adam, Satan still fuxk Adam up, na still God come use him hand go build hell fire wet him go dey put people wey Satan don fuxk up... that effort wey him use dey construct hell why him no use am fix Satan up once and for all?

Tell me?

You dey use your . Your own pass my own abeg. See thinking.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by 1Sharon(f): 6:53pm On Jun 29, 2022
naija4life247:

I am talking abut my Muslim friends. I am talking about Tinubu, Fashola and other Muslims who are married to Christians and did not force their wives to convert to Islam. I am also joking. My brethren, no be everything we go dey fight ontop. We are just airing different views on the subject depending on the perspective we are looking from.

You think we're stupid?

Their wives don't need to convert. Once a Muslim marries a non-muslim, the household automatically becomes a Muslim one.

Isn't that why Muslims forbid their daughter from marrying non-muslims? Because they know the household automatically becomes the religion of the husband.

Muslim men love to marry and sleep with non-muslims but will jealously guard their own daughters against non-muslims.

You're stating you "allowed" your wife to remain a Christian but if you were to emigrate to Qatar, a sharia state, your wife and even children will automatically be seen as muslims.
Their Christian faith will become irrelevant.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by frowland(m): 6:54pm On Jun 29, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

That is how the Bible is to mad people;

My brother, it’s not about insults. There is something fundamentally wrong with the book especially the Old Testament.
Example: The escapades of Moses and Caleb, Joshua etc is exactly as Bokoharam is to Nigeria.
'God said we should kill all of you and take over your land.'
When you read those things ever wondered that those massacres include kids, babies, pregnant woman and the elderly! Ever wondered?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by ThinkSmarter: 6:55pm On Jun 29, 2022
ajekpaks:

Mr. Sane, I agree I am mad because I refuse to accept the junk stuffed down your throats... I'm sorry

Ordinary Satan hold your God for work since Genesis, upon say Jesus don come earth yet na still same same... tell me WEtin come be the use exactly of God?

Na him use him hand create Satan, Satan Fuxk up, next thing e go create Adam, Satan still fuxk Adam up, na still God come use him hand go build hell fire wet him go dey put people wey Satan don fuxk up... that effort wey him use dey construct hell why him no use am fix Satan up once and for all?

Tell me?
grin
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Michael547(m): 6:55pm On Jun 29, 2022
ajekpaks:

Tell me?
Baba this your questions really dey thought provoking. The truth be say many religious today don talk many lies about God. Na wetin make the bible dey confusing to many of us. But the truth be say the bible contain the real truth about God. We fit discuss am together Check my signature for my WhatsApp number.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by compton11(m): 7:01pm On Jun 29, 2022
beejaay:

Islam has far more atheist than other religions but most are closet for fear of the aggression from Muslims which is their usual way for rejection, Muslims can kill for no reason, they have no brain to think that people have right of worship
nigga u sure? grin grin
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by LienwaltAbel(m): 7:03pm On Jun 29, 2022
Karnice600:

And the natives of places where the peaceful Christian colonisers arrived that didn't accept religion, what do you think happened to them? Besides old Christian sects like the coptics in Africa, and the Church of Antioch, the foremost Christian sect was the one established after Constantine converted. Do note that:
The Roman empire at the time was a large empire that occupied much of Europe and north africa, so when Constantine converted, it allowed for easy spread of Christianity;
Roman empire at the time was frail and was about to fall apart so Constantine needed Christianity for a sort of unification amongst it's subjects.
İf this isn't colonialism's hardwork, i don't know what it is.

Islam didn't convert everyone they conquered. Andalusia ie modern Spain and Portugal can attest to that. Non Muslims had to pay a form of tax or convert to avoid taxes. Guess what, when the Moors finally left Andalusia, Muslims and Jews were forced to convert or we're even q
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by phr33man(m): 7:04pm On Jun 29, 2022
sundaygray:
Omo i observed the life, learned different religions sat down and thought about life in general and also, never had a spiritual encounter i have spent money, a lot of money for a spiritual encounter but no level baba.The lack of evidence just make me chill. Unless God appears and shows himself to me, no level grin

Op: take or leave, there's one supernatural being behind the existence of this universe. Unexplainable things happen in life that even scientist do not have explanation for. You can continue with your believe but live a moral life. Try to love humanity and résist evil. Peace
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Karnice600: 7:07pm On Jun 29, 2022
wirinet:

Then you have not read how Peruvians and South American people were converted to Christianity. They were forcefully converted with guns and sword.

Sure, by the Roman Catholic political/military influence. The same Crusaders I talked about.
If you read deep about the RC you'll know why they're sometimes referred to as an occult group. They feign Christianity, but are into pagan worship, but that's another story for another day. When I say Christianity wasn't spread by the sword I'm simply talking about her ingrained doctrine of gaining followers and how it started.
Don't let it mix with the idea of how Islam spread.
Don't put them in a sentence.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by Angel55555(m): 7:09pm On Jun 29, 2022
peggywebbs:
That's where you're wrong. Statistics does not even put Nigeria in the top 10 religious countries in the world. Don't think that the West represents the whole world and Christianity is not the only religion either.

Just as I analysed the different types of atheists, there are different types of Christians. So don't even bother generalizing

Nigeria is one of the most religious countries in the world due to the size of our population, we should be number 7 or 8 i think.

I'm not generalising it, you can't compare how a religious person in an industrial country like the UK or US thinks compared to a third world country like Nigeria. Young people are introduced to science at an early age over there compared to here in Nigeria, there's stable light, security and working infrastructure. They are taught that there's always a reasonable scientific explanation for everything in life, where by in Nigeria people always make up religious and traditional stories for every damn thing, even if it is something that you just need to use your common sense to evaluate.

I'm not against religion, everyone is entitled to their beliefs.
Re: Why Did You Become An Atheist by LienwaltAbel(m): 7:09pm On Jun 29, 2022
Karnice600:

And the natives of places where the peaceful Christian colonisers arrived that didn't accept religion, what do you think happened to them? Besides old Christian sects like the coptics in Africa, and the Church of Antioch, the foremost Christian sect was the one established after Constantine converted. Do note that:
The Roman empire at the time was a large empire that occupied much of Europe and north africa, so when Constantine converted, it allowed for easy spread of Christianity;
Roman empire at the time was frail and was about to fall apart so Constantine needed Christianity for a sort of unification amongst it's subjects.
İf this isn't colonialism's hardwork, i don't know what it is.

Islam didn't convert everyone they conquered. Andalusia ie modern Spain and Portugal can attest to that. Non Muslims had to pay a form of tax or convert to avoid taxes. Guess what, when the Moors finally left Andalusia, Muslims and Jews were forced to convert or we're even killed in worst case scenarios. This same pattern repeated itself throughout places taken by Christians during the crusades. The same happened in Jerusalem when the crusaders took it.

Anyone who's coming to argue about the crusades should ask why a pope had to ask for forgiveness because of the horrible crimes committed during those conquests.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (24) (Reply)

Lucifer Is Fallen And Doomed! So Are Satanists/atheist On Nairaland & Beyond!! / Six Important Reasons You Should Seek For The Mercy Of God. / ‘Ritualist Became Powerless On Sighting Lord's Chosen Apron’; Young Lady. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.