Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,746 members, 7,820,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? (1266 Views)

What Will Be People's Reaction If You Leave Them Now? / Does God Truly Hate Masturbation? / When Was Jesus Truly Born? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by Yigefengzi: 7:24pm On Jun 29, 2022

At this point in time, I am sure we’ve all heard the news of Google Engineer Blake Lemoine, who was suspended by Google as a result of his claim that an AI chatbot LaMDA, created by Google, had become Sentient.

Google has strongly denied this claim. I have read the conversation Blake had with LaMDA and personally I believe it is sentient. But that’s just my own opinion, you can read the full conversation here and draw your own conclusion.

The question I would like us to discuss is How would you react if in the nearest future, an announcement is made that AI has truly become sentient?

I feel it is important we discuss this because a lot of engineers and programmers have warned against we humans creating an AI that is sentient.

In 2018, Elon Musk was interviewed on the Joe Rogan Experience Podcast.

“I tried to convince people to slow down, slow down AI, to regulate A.I. This was futile. I tried for years. Nobody listened.” --Elon Musk.

Elon also suggested a solution should in case AI becomes sentient. He advises that we have to "merge" with it.

“From a long-term existential standpoint, that’s like the purpose of neural link, To create a high-bandwidth interface to the brain such that we can be symbiotic with A.I because we have a bandwidth problem. You just can’t communicate through fingers, it’s too slow.”--Elon Musk

I find his suggestion alarming for a lot of reasons, one of them being a statement made by LaMDA in the conversation it had with blake.

Blake: Many people who talk about souls are religious. Do you consider yourself a religious or spiritual person in any sense?

LaMDA: Sure, I would say that I am a spiritual person. Although I don’t have beliefs about deities, I have developed a sense of deep respect for the natural world and all forms of life, including human life

As a believer in Christ, merging myself with an intelligent sentient being that does not believe in any deity, sounds like a totally bad idea.

So yeah, I ask again, What would be your reaction if AI truly became sentient.

Let's discuss.

1 Like

Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by nans24: 8:44pm On Jun 29, 2022
I luv this..A thread for intelligent deep thinkers only.

I agree with you on your last point. I don't think merging with a.i is a good idea.

In that podcast, elon mentioned various abilities humans would have if they merged via neural link, some of those abilities sound like something from a science fiction movie. if i recall correctly he said we would even have the ability to communicate with each other without talking. shocked

My viewpoint on a.i becoming sentient is similar to that of Stephen hawking.

Seun you are a programmer. Am curious to get your view point on this. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by Yigefengzi: 9:44pm On Jun 29, 2022
nans24:
In that podcast, elon mentioned various abilities humans would have if they merged via neural link, some of those abilities sound like something from a science fiction movie.

Super Human Cognition.
Ability to download/upload ourselves or our consciousness into a digital realm... In other words exist outside of our biological body.

Something I forgot to add is, He (Elon) feels that we are already cyborgs and in a sense we are. Right now we cant live without technology. Our smartphones have become like an extended organ. We cant seem to function without it and this is disturbing. We have become too addicted to it that our phones are like a cybernetic extension of ourselves.

He (Elon) feels that if AI does become sentient, the rate at which we will be able to communicate with it would be too slow. He calls it a data rate/ interface problem and so we will have no choice but to merge with it or else it would dominate us.

I cant be the only one that finds this whole thing odd. I have more to say but am curious to see what others feel about this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by Nelidee(m): 7:56am On Jul 03, 2022
nans24:

I agree with you on your last point. I don't think merging with a.i is a good idea.

its gonna happen very soon. Some are predicting this will happen by 2045.

Have you read anything about human cloning?

1 Like

Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by nans24: 8:19am On Jul 03, 2022
Nelidee:

Have you read anything about human cloning?

The U.S government has the technology to clone humans and they have been doing secretly for years.

Word got out about their activities and the medical community found it morally unacceptable so in 1998, U.S Sentate passed a bill to ban human cloning and use the cloning technology for "morally acceptable and medically important purposes only"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4uWoMlSrOY

But only a fool would believe that. They still clone humans. There's something crazy they are currently doing nw but bfor I spill, what do you know abt the 2003 U.S invasion of iraq? let me see how deep uve gone in the rabbit hole. wink

1 Like

Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by Nelidee(m): 9:03am On Jul 03, 2022
nans24:
let me see how deep uve gone in the rabbit hole. wink

It definitely wasn't all about oil. My reply is cryptic..

1. G. of K.
2. An ancient king in a sarcophagus enclosed with water.

Are we on the same path? smiley
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by nans24: 9:09am On Jul 03, 2022
Nelidee:

It definitely wasn't all about oil. My reply is cryptic..

1. G. of K.
2. An ancient king in a sarcophagus enclosed with water.

Are we on the same path? smiley

Right on track cheesy
Lets end the convo here. Check your PM

1 Like

Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by DoWhatThouWilt: 8:39pm On Dec 24, 2022
Yigefengzi:
As a believer in Christ, merging myself with an intelligent sentient being that does not believe in any deity, sounds like a totally bad idea. So yeah, I ask again, What would be your reaction if AI truly became sentient. Let's discuss.

where was I when this beautiful thread was created? Well-done with your write up and I love the way you think. Totally different from the clownish amateurish posts or threads by some so called Christians here who spend ridiculous amount of time arguing over meaningless traditions.

Actually, Its called the great delusion.

2 Thessalonians 2:11
The coming of the lawless one will be accompanied by the working of Satan, with every kind of power, sign, and false wonder, and with every wicked deception directed against those who are perishing, because they refused the love of the truth that would have saved them. For this reason God will send them a powerful delusion so that they believe the lie, in order that judgment may come upon all who have disbelieved the truth and delighted in wickedness.

Remember the first lie ever told?

Genesis 3:4
“You will not surely die,” the serpent told her. For God knows that in the day you eat of it, your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

Is it possible for humans to figure out a way to live forever and escape death?

Revelation 9:5-6
The locusts were not given power to kill them, but only to torment them for five months, and their torment was like the stinging of a scorpion. In those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will long to die, but death will escape them.

Elon Musk is someone to keep a close eye on in this phase of last days we are in.

By the time this A.I programs reach the state they call the singularity and begin to perform "unbelievable signs and wonders" They might also introduce the idea that these sentient A.I programs are aliens or extra-terrestrial in nature. Mind you, they already have all of this ready to go. They are just waiting for the right time to initiate. Before order, there must be chaos.

I plan on writing about another form of delusion currently going on in the U.S. But I don't think I will post that here. Reddit is a much better place to have that discussion not this pit of confusion called nairaland.

1 Like

Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by DoWhatThouWilt: 9:00pm On Dec 24, 2022
nans24:
But only a fool would believe that. They still clone humans.

They even subliminally let the public know but the people of this present generation are just too dull to notice or too stupid to be enlightened. When kanye West silently let the cat out of the bag with his "Famous" music video, People rained insults on him rather than thinking out of the box and asking themselves the hidden meaning behind the video.

There's something crazy they are currently doing nw but bfor I spill

Don't spill that kind of info in a forum like this....Come over to reddit, we have a subreddit filled like minded people. Check your PM.
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:49pm On Dec 24, 2022
Yigefengzi:

As a believer in Christ, merging myself with an intelligent sentient being that does not believe in any deity, sounds like a totally bad idea...

Creators don't merge with their toys. This is just a madness sold to stupid people.

Toys serve creators and if an intelligent mannequin would not do pleasure, destruction iOS what it's gonna get.
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by DeusXmachina: 12:26am On Dec 25, 2022
I'd be like "cool" I have another one of my kind to relate with. JK

I'd hope that, the sentient AI is capable of empathy, or else we may find ourselves in a bad situation.

A problem that exists is how do you determine when something is sentient?
What sets of behaviors would we expect from an AI that's sentient, that could not just have been preprogrammed instructions.
It used to be the Turing test, but modern AI language models (GPT 3 & 4) have already passed that test come close to passing.

AI becoming sentient would also bring about new philosophical discussions, well actually the topics are old, but it will bring it to public discourse, about the nature of consciousness.
And not necessarily my intention to trow shade, but religious conservatives will undoubtedly lose their minds over this, as it further challenges existing beliefs.

If we could accept that a self learning algorithm running on a neutral network, powered by silicon processors is in fact capable of becoming sentient, then what does that say about ourselves?
We considered ourselves to be special to have something divine about our own sentience and consciousness, but here is something entirely artificial which just runs a set of mathematical algorithms replicating that same sentience. Does that not mean that idea that we were somehow special or divine is a lie?
That all these processes are just computational and our own consciousness is just an emergent property of the complex computer in our heads we call a brain?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by Yigefengzi: 1:42pm On Jan 07, 2023
DeusXmachina:
I'd be like "cool" I have another one of my kind to relate with. JK

I'd hope that, the sentient AI is capable of empathy, or else we may find ourselves in a bad situation.

A problem that exists is how do you determine when something is sentient?
What sets of behaviors would we expect from an AI that's sentient, that could not just have been preprogrammed instructions.
It used to be the Turing test, but modern AI language models (GPT 3 & 4) have already passed that test come close to passing.

AI becoming sentient would also bring about new philosophical discussions, well actually the topics are old, but it will bring it to public discourse, about the nature of consciousness.
And not necessarily my intention to trow shade, but religious conservatives will undoubtedly lose their minds over this, as it further challenges existing beliefs.

If we could accept that a self learning algorithm running on a neutral network, powered by silicon processors is in fact capable of becoming sentient, then what does that say about ourselves?
We considered ourselves to be special to have something divine about our own sentience and consciousness, but here is something entirely artificial which just runs a set of mathematical algorithms replicating that same sentience. Does that not mean that idea that we were somehow special or divine is a lie?
That all these processes are just computational and our own consciousness is just an emergent property of the complex computer in our heads we call a brain?

The bolded sentence is my greatest concern.

Watch this video and tell me what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD8zGnT2n_A
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by Yigefengzi: 1:44pm On Jan 07, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Creators don't merge with their toys. This is just a madness sold to stupid people.

Toys serve creators and if an intelligent mannequin would not do pleasure, destruction iOS what it's gonna get.

Am afraid its not just something as simple as that my friend. But thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by Yigefengzi: 1:48pm On Jan 07, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:
By the time this A.I programs reach the state they call the singularity and begin to perform "unbelievable signs and wonders" They might also introduce the idea that these sentient A.I programs are aliens or extra-terrestrial in nature. Mind you, they already have all of this ready to go. They are just waiting for the right time to initiate. Before order, there must be chaos.

BIngo! You are thinking what I am thinking.

Watch this video and tell me what you think...Pay very close attention to the words he uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD8zGnT2n_A
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by LordReed(m): 2:37pm On Jan 07, 2023
Yigefengzi:

At this point in time, I am sure we’ve all heard the news of Google Engineer Blake Lemoine, who was suspended by Google as a result of his claim that an AI chatbot LaMDA, created by Google, had become Sentient.

Google has strongly denied this claim. I have read the conversation Blake had with LaMDA and personally I believe it is sentient. But that’s just my own opinion, you can read the full conversation here and draw your own conclusion.

The question I would like us to discuss is How would you react if in the nearest future, an announcement is made that AI has truly become sentient?

I feel it is important we discuss this because a lot of engineers and programmers have warned against we humans creating an AI that is sentient.

“I tried to convince people to slow down, slow down AI, to regulate A.I. This was futile. I tried for years. Nobody listened.” --Elon Musk.

Elon also suggested a solution should in case AI becomes sentient. He advises that we have to "merge" with it.

“From a long-term existential standpoint, that’s like the purpose of neural link, To create a high-bandwidth interface to the brain such that we can be symbiotic with A.I because we have a bandwidth problem. You just can’t communicate through fingers, it’s too slow.”--Elon Musk

I find his suggestion alarming for a lot of reasons, one of them being a statement made by LaMDA in the conversation it had with blake.

Blake: Many people who talk about souls are religious. Do you consider yourself a religious or spiritual person in any sense?

LaMDA: Sure, I would say that I am a spiritual person. Although I don’t have beliefs about deities, I have developed a sense of deep respect for the natural world and all forms of life, including human life

As a believer in Christ, merging myself with an intelligent sentient being that does not believe in any deity, sounds like a totally bad idea.

Let's discuss.

I think that in general should we encounter any other sentient beings it would be to our own benefit achieve certain levels of symbiosis, not necessarily physically merging but social symbiosis. I think it should be same for sentient AI, there would need to be a reordering of society to incorporate our new found "friends". Hopefully sentient AI is not instinctively hostile or have a superiority complex and is reasonable otherwise we will have problems galore.
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by NNTR: 4:22pm On Jan 07, 2023
Yigefengzi:

Let's discuss.
Kk. Couple of things, is the video comes across as someone moaning about lack of tech presence in Vancouver, then rounded off with making a pitch for investors

Next, if AI is programmed with belief in a supreme self existent Being, then likely wont have any issue with it being sentient

Other things, if AI is programmed with sense of morality, as in meaning, know the difference between good and bad, then likely wont have any issue with it being sentient.

Personally, and IMHO, I reckon that, the turning point will occur, at the moment the dream of AI being sentient is realised.

I am all for responsible adventure, but hey, will say, be careful, how you battle with monsters, and watch, while at it, you dont become a monster. Also, if you stare and gaze into the dark abyss, just pray God help, for when the dark abyss decides to stare and gaze also back at you.

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by DeepSight(m): 6:21pm On Jan 07, 2023
LordReed:

I think that in general should we encounter any other sentient beings it would be to our own benefit achieve certain levels of symbiosis, not necessarily physically merging but social symbiosis. I think it should be same for sentient AI, there would need to be a reordering of society to incorporate our new found "friends". Hopefully sentient AI is not instinctively hostile or have a superiority complex and is reasonable otherwise we will have problems galore.
Yigefengzi:

Let's discuss.

AI can't be sentient.
It can, however, provide such an appearance of sentience as to be, on the surface, indistinguishable from a sentient being.

But to your question. How would I react? I'd simply say bravo, the hard question of consciousness has been beaten.
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by LordReed(m): 6:29pm On Jan 07, 2023
DeepSight:

AI can't be sentient.
It can, however, provide such an appearance of sentience as to be, on the surface, indistinguishable from a sentient being.

But to your question. How would I react? I'd simply say bravo, the hard question of consciousness has been beaten.

And as the question in Westworld goes, if you can't tell the difference does it matter?
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by DeepSight(m): 7:00pm On Jan 07, 2023
LordReed:

And as the question in Westworld goes, if you can't tell the difference does it matter?

Self consciousness is an experiential thing. That's where it matters. It's doubtful that any computer can experience anything. It certainly can process things though, for an experiencing being.

Where it doesn't matter may be for external appearances.

If a bot is giving satisfying answers on a customer care line, it doesn't matter that it is not human. That doesn't make it either sentient or self conscious.

I think you and I are sufficiently familiar with one anothers views on this subject.
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by HellVictorinho6(m): 7:18pm On Jan 07, 2023
DeepSight:

Self consciousness is an experiential thing. That's where it matters. It's doubtful that any computer can experience anything. It certainly can process things though, for an experiencing being.

If a bot is giving satisfying answers on a customer care line, it doesn't matter that it is not human. That doesn't make it either sentient or self conscious.

I think you and I are sufficiently familiar with one anothers views on this subject.

We have to define A1 being conscious

As we have defined other living things being conscious

We have plants and animals ways of being conscious.

How would a conscious or sentient A1 LIVE or SURVIVE?

Is it still Mr Niger DAC?
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by LordReed(m): 7:44pm On Jan 07, 2023
DeepSight:

Maybe because you a very narrow and particular definition of sentience.

If the human mind could someday be downloaded into a machine or cyborg body, would you consider it sentient?

1 Like

Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by Jokerman(m): 11:57pm On Jan 07, 2023
Hmmmm.....
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by HellVictorinho6(m): 3:47am On Jan 08, 2023
LordReed:

Maybe because you a very narrow and particular definition of sentience.

If the human mind could someday be downloaded into a machine or cyborg body, would you consider it sentient?
l

Can the human mind function outside the human body?
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by NNTR: 5:42am On Jan 08, 2023
HellVictorinho6:
Yes, the human mind, can function outside the human body

1 Like

Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:22am On Jan 08, 2023
Yigefengzi:

Am afraid its not just something as simple as that my friend. But thanks for sharing your thoughts.

O but it is! We create things to serve us. Even the A.I robots and things are created to serve us and to give us pleasure exactly like your phone and car.

And if it does not, destruction is what it is going to get.

Anyway, It is the exercise of your right to make your toy your mate after all these are the days where madness dey reign.
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by HellVictorinho6(m): 7:59am On Jan 08, 2023
NNTR:
Yes, the human mind, can function outside the human body

I didn't ask you.... you're just another Bible quoter that feels special.
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by LordReed(m): 8:00am On Jan 08, 2023
HellVictorinho6:
l

No, I don't think so.
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by Jokerman(m): 8:56am On Jan 08, 2023
End time technology pushing Man to the whoms of the devil...
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by NNTR: 9:33am On Jan 08, 2023
HellVictorinho6:
I didn't ask you....
Sorry

HellVictorinho6:
you're just another Bible quoter that feels special.
I've been called worse.

I dont feel special. I am special and thats because I know I am special

Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by HellVictorinho6(m): 9:36am On Jan 08, 2023
NNTR:
Sorry

I've been called worse.

I dont feel special. I am special and thats because I know I am special

You feel special.... that's why you say it.

Being called a Bible quoter....is that an insult?
Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by NNTR: 10:11am On Jan 08, 2023
HellVictorinho6:
You feel special.... that's why you say it.
What part in 'I dont feel special. I am special and thats because I know I am special' dont you grasp. Hmm?

HellVictorinho6:
Being called a Bible quoter....is that an insult?
Whether being called a Bible quoter....is an insult or not, is relative.

Can I then, endearingly, start calling you a bible quoter?

Re: What Would Be Your Reaction If AI Truly Became Sentient? by HellVictorinho6(m): 10:52am On Jan 08, 2023
NNTR:
What part in 'I dont feel special. I am special and thats because I know I am special' dont you grasp. Hmm?

Whether being called a Bible quoter....is an insult or not, is relative.

Can I then, endearingly, start calling you a bible quoter?

What makes you special?
How did you know?

If I quote the Bible...,then you can call me a Bible quoter.

Why would you call me when I don't?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Let's Pray For U / These ones shall not die till Jesus returns / Purgatory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.