Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,952 members, 7,817,795 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? (3425 Views)

When Would Wike Host Tinubu To Commision A Project? / Osinbajo, Atiku, Tinubu: Who Would You Prefer As President Among The 3 In 2023? / The Many Dramas Of Senator Oluremi Tinubu, Who Tried To Silence Co-senator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by Penguin2: 9:54am On Jun 30, 2022
With the recent tweet of Ayo Fayose who is a staunch Wike ally, and the fact that Wike recent held closed door meetings with Peter Obi and Kwankwaso, Wike’s body language is seeming like he might not support Atiku for the 2023 presidency.

Like, what’s in Atiku’s presidency for him that others can’t give? Because as it stands, the only thing Atiku will offer Wike is a ministerial position which either of Obi or Tinubu can still offer if he throws his weight behind either of them and they win. If anything, Wike has been a minister and now a governor. So being a minister doesn’t freak him. Just that this time it will be a juicy position like Petroleum instead of Education he occupied under GEJ.

Now, on Peter Obi, Wike said a lot of disparaging things about Peter Obi during the PDP Primaries but we can dismiss that as things that come with politicking.

But why do I think Wike might support Peter Obi?

I’m gonna make it easier for you by itemizing it.

First, they were in same party but only went apart less than two months ago.

Second, the close affinity between Southeast and Southsouth.
Yes. You can’t dismiss that and you can’t wish it away. Because since the 1950s till date, the Southsouth and Southeast have always voted in same direction in general elections. So, that regional fraternity is there and might influence Wike’s choice.

Third, bulk of Wike allies are Igbo.
Men like Ugwuanyi and Ikpeazu, even the PDP national secretary, Sam Anyanwu, is Wike’s ally and many others. You cannot dismiss the influence that these men would have on Wike if he is going to support any other person than Atiku. I do not think Wike will leave the welfare and interests of the constituents of these his friends to support Tinubu for instance.

Fourth, it might serve as Wike’s last chance to make reparations for Obigbo.
Believe it or not, Igbos used to carry Wike matter for head like gala until Obigbo happened and Wike told the world he’s “not Igbo”. Say whatever you wanna, but Wike and strategists know that he has more to gain being part of the larger Igbo family than segregating from it. The choice is his and he is a man of his own but I think it’s the wise thing to do. So, throwing his weight behind Peter Obi would be the hissop that would wash Wike’s scarlet sins to be as white as snow amongst the Igbos and he would be forgiven. But throwing his weight behind Tinubu would be Wike stabbing the Igbos at the heart a second time which will further alienate Wike from the Igbos.

Next, is the pulse of Rivers people.
The next question that Wike would have to ask himself before making a choice is ask who the Rivers people are more disposed to voting. Are Rivers people more disposed to voting Tinubu or Peter Obi? When Wike has answered that question, it would help him make a choice that would be popular amongst his people. Or what’s the need in swimming against the tide?

Then There Is An Amaechi In APC
Wike and Amaechi have spent the last 7 years, since 2015, being on each other’s neck and case. I do not see how you would want reconcile both of them and have them under the APC roof? Who will be the Leader of APC in Rivers? Whose men will be in charge of APC and how will they share things amongst themselves? All these headaches won’t be there if Wike moves to Labour Party which is without a Leader in Rivers, Southsouth and even entire Southern Nigeria. In Labour Party, Wike will be the new lord. But in APC, he will just be another defector. However, when you remember that Kwankwaso and Ibrahim Shekarau are now in same party, you’d know nothing is impossible in politics.

Lastly, Wike’s aversion for APC.
Not just Wike but most Nigerians are tired of the APC. It’s on record that Wike once described APC as a ‘cancer’ and PDP a ‘headache’; he then queried, “why would I leave headache for cancer?” I know you would say other politicians have said worst things about rival parties but still joined it but we would have to watch and see if Wike will join the pack.

Why I think Wike Might Consider Tinubu

First, Wike respects Tinubu a whole lot and I don’t know why.
This respect is not overt but I discovered it the day I watched Wike’s interview that lasted for above an hour and each time the interviewers asked Wike questions regarding Tinubu that he would have ordinarily latched on to lambast Tinubu, he would play around it and end with “I have huge respect for him”. Again, think through, as temperamental as Wike is, and has insulted almost every living soul in Nigeria, have you ever heard of a single ill word that Wike said about Tinubu? I bet you have not. Maybe this had escaped your notice but now you know.

Second, some Wike’s allies like Fayose and Makinde are Yorubas.
Which among Wike’s allies have more influence on him than others? Is it his Igbo allies or his Yoruba allies? Would they work in harmony or would allies of each tribe wanna support one of their own? Would Fayose and Makinde wanna support Tinubu and therefore try to influence Wike to do the same? This is another factor that would influence who Wike would support.

Third, APC Is A Ruling Party.
Wike might wanna think that since APC is a ruling party, throwing his weight behind the party might be the safest option to take if he wants to play anti-party. We all know APC and the brand of politics they play. As much as we are hoping for a free, fair and transparent elections, do not rule out APC playing some abracadabra just to retain power. Now, Wike might not wanna gamble by supporting a Labour Party that is not grounded enough hence, he might decide to toe the path he feels is sure.

Fourth, To Make The Yoruba His Allies.
Wike might wanna believe that throwing his weight behind Tinubu might warm him into the hearts of more Yoruba people and end up bringing the Yoruba to his side and them his allies in case of future contests. It will be the perfect handshake across the Niger. The question Wike would have to ask himself is which would be more profitable to him; alliance with the Yoruba or alliance with the Igbo? Again Wike would also have to know that Tinubu already has a lot boys and men to settle which would make it difficult for Wike to get anything tangible from Tinubu’s presidency.

Other than these four reasons, I see no other reason Wike might wanna support Tinubu but you can add yours.

Conclusively, I would say that if Wike is wise and strategic, he should align with Obi, Kwankwaso and co and become the new shot callers in Nigeria if they succeed than serve as just another of Tinubu’s many boys.

Penguin is a bird of reason.

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Fergie001
Garfield1
Truthisunique
PrinceofLagos
Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by fvck(m): 9:56am On Jun 30, 2022
Obidiently pray for Grace

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by Totilopussylick(m): 9:57am On Jun 30, 2022
I see Wike decamping to labour party this i have seen tongue

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by Ibadanpikin: 10:01am On Jun 30, 2022
OBIDIENT I AM.

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by derecho(m): 10:02am On Jun 30, 2022
Kikikiki...FalseProphet1 fit sue you o
Totilopussylick:
I see Wike decamping to labour party this i have seen tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by sleek214(m): 10:04am On Jun 30, 2022
This one na mumu post.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by IamWonderful: 10:05am On Jun 30, 2022
Check his cap when Peter Obituary visited him and see where he belongs
Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by pinkPUSSY(f): 10:06am On Jun 30, 2022
Wike can't influence 2023 Outcome of Rivers Presidential election votes....

His influence will crash finally 11 months from now ..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by Remijuice: 10:08am On Jun 30, 2022
Please vote for ATIKU come 2023

For Industrious and Progressive Nigeria!
Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by Ddokie: 10:18am On Jun 30, 2022
If wike is to leave PDP, his best bet is to move to labor.

It would be too much of a problem to have Wike and Amaechi struggling to head APC in Rivers. It can't work. By moving to labor, he will simply convert the entire PDP structure in Rivers to Labor and remain the boss. Simple Sturvs.

I don't see wike leaving pdp though.

But if he is considering it, his best bet is Labor. PO is not interested in party politics so Wike may easily become the national boss of labor party.

helinues:
The question you should rather ask is

What do Obi and LP have to offer Wike?

What do Tinubu and Apc have to offer Wike?

The best APC can offer wike is Minister. For someone who has been minister before, that is noting. Besides Amaechi is already there. How e go take chance am?

Wike should remain in PDP and support whoever he wants to support in 2023, or go to Labor and try to build the 3rd force where he can easily become "national leader" shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by helinues: 10:20am On Jun 30, 2022

There is no way EFCC won't pick Wike after his tenure, With Tinubu's presidency, something could still be done about it.

With Obi's presidency, what can he do about Wike's predicament when his party LP won't have 10% Reps or senate to back his personal policies?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by Vistra40: 10:26am On Jun 30, 2022
pinkPUSSY:
Wike can't influence 2023 Outcome of Rivers Presidential election votes....

His influence will crash finally 11 months from now ..

Many Rivers indigenes and residents, are rooting for Peter obi already.

11 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by Vistra40: 10:27am On Jun 30, 2022
helinues:

There is no way EFCC won't pick Wike after his tenure, With Tinubu's presidency, something could still be done about it.

With Obi's presidency, what can he do about Wike's predicament when his party LP won't have 10% Reps or senate to back his personal policies?

So tinubu will shield wike from prosecution?haha

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by helinues: 10:30am On Jun 30, 2022
Vistra40:

So tinubu will shield wike from prosecution?haha

Wike is only looking for soft landing after his tenure which he can get under Apc

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by Yibo(m): 10:36am On Jun 30, 2022
PETER OBI PANDORA IS A Y1BO PROJECT

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by VoteTinubu2023: 10:52am On Jun 30, 2022
But why is everyone forgetting that Wike's candidates are on HOR and senate ticket of PDP? The election of these offices coincide with the Presidential election.

I think Wike will just not necessarily go extra mile for Atiku but on the Presidential election day. He will back PDP.

Vote Tinubu 2023. Vote APC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by fergie001: 10:56am On Jun 30, 2022
helinues:
Wike is only looking for soft landing after his tenure which he can get under Apc
That is the least of his worries. The Court has helped him with that......

Penguin2
1. Politics is all about interests. What is the catch for Wike for LP? If Obi/Kwankwaso had happened, maybe just maybe. Moreover, will he abandon his NASS Candidates?

2. Fayose is just threatening and using Wike as smokescreen. Even if Wike had won the Primary, Fayose will always work for Tinubu in the trenches.

3. Wike has lost and lost out. His angst is that he funded the Party and then the "outsiders" like Ayu, Atiku, Tambuwal & co have hijacked it. So, it's over to Okowa to do the funding. His shishi will not show....

4. Where will Wike run to? He has hit the Northerners so many times, then hit Obi, then defend he is not Igbo. (I am not judging him). He is a victim of his been loudmouthed.

5. Forget the political correctness, many PDP SEners and Northerners were happy for his not been picked...Excepting Governors who have benefitted from him, which is for their interests.

6. Make no mistake, Fayose is speaking the mind of an average SWner, they won't leave their own......Tinubu will clear all 6 SW States.

7. Atiku's strongholds have always been in the South. He still gets his biggest votes from the South. It is time he starts behaving well in his own turf.

8. The next President of Nigeria oscillates around Atiku or Tinubu.

9. To bring Wike back, something "hooge" must be on the table.....Something as concrete as can be. But he sure knows he can't be in-charge anymore.

10. If Atiku doesn't bring them together and with Obi, on the ballot.....Tinubu can catwalk to the Villa without stressing out for Campaigns.

11. Wike will not back Tinubu. He has a formidable Amaechi on his throat. The new Minister from the State is Rotimi's godson and CRA is on ground now, APC is on the ballot. This will be one big fight so he can't afford any mistake....Presidential and NASS elections hold same day and usually have a ripple effect the following week.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by Factcheck0001: 11:06am On Jun 30, 2022
Penguin2:
With the recent tweet of Ayo Fayose who is a staunch Wike ally, and the fact that Wike recent held closed door meetings with Peter Obi and Kwankwaso, Wike’s body language is seeming like he might not support Atiku for the 2023 presidency.

Like, what’s in Atiku’s presidency for him that others can’t give? Because as it stands, the only thing Atiku will offer Wike is a ministerial position which either of Obi or Tinubu can still offer if he throws his weight behind either of them and they win. If anything, Wike has been a minister and now a governor. So being a minister doesn’t freak him. Just that this time it will be a juicy position like Petroleum instead of Education he occupied under GEJ.

Now, on Peter Obi, Wike said a lot of disparaging things about Peter Obi during the PDP Primaries but we can dismiss that as things that come with politicking.

But why do I think Wike might support Peter Obi?

I’m gonna make it easier for you by itemizing it.

First, they were in same party but only went apart less than two months ago.

Second, the close affinity between Southeast and Southsouth.
Yes. You can dismiss that and you can’t wish it away. Because since the 1950s till date, the Southsouth and Southeast have always voted in same direction in general elections. So, that regional fraternity is there and might influence Wike’s choice.

Third, bulk of Wike allies are Igbo.
Men like Ugwuanyi and Ikpeazu, even the PDP national secretary, Sam Anyanwu, is Wike’s ally and many others. You cannot dismiss the influence that these men would have on Wike if he is going to support any other person than Atiku. I do not think Wike will leave the welfare and interests of the constituents of these his friends to support Tinubu for instance.

Fourth, it might serve as Wike’s last chance to make reparations for Obigbo.
Believe it or not, Igbos used to carry Wike matter for head like gala until Obigbo happened and Wike told the world he’s “not Igbo”. Say whatever you wanna, but Wike and strategists know that he has more to gain being part of the larger Igbo family than segregating from it. The choice is his and he is a man of his own but I think it’s the wise thing to do. So, throwing his weight behind Peter Obi would be the hissop that would wash Wike’s scarlet sins to be as white as snow amongst the Igbos and he would be forgiven. But throwing his weight behind Tinubu would be Wike stabbing the Igbos at the heart a second time which will further alienate Wike from the Igbos.

Next, is the pulse of Rivers people.
The next question that Wike would have to ask himself before making a choice is ask who the Rivers people are more disposed to voting. Are Rivers people more disposed to voting Tinubu or Peter Obi? When Wike has answered that question, it would help him make a choice that would be popular amongst his people. Or what’s the need in swimming against the tide?

Lastly, Wike’s aversion for APC.
Not just Wike but most Nigerians are tired of the APC. It’s on record that Wike once described APC as a ‘cancer’ and PDP a ‘headache’; he then queried, “why would I leave headache for cancer?” I know you would say other politicians have said worst things about rival parties but still joined it but we would have to watch and see if Wike will join the pack.

Why I think Wike Might Consider Tinubu

First, Wike respects Tinubu a whole lot and I don’t know why.
This respect is not overt but I discovered it the day I watched Wike’s interview that lasted for above an hour and each time the interviewers asked Wike questions regarding Tinubu that he would have ordinarily seized to lambast Tinubu, he would play around it and end with “I have huge respect for him”. Again, think through, as temperamental as Wike is, and has insulted almost every living soul in Nigeria, have you ever heard of a single ill word that Wike said about Tinubu? I bet you have not. Maybe this had escaped your notice but now you know.

Second, some Wike’s allies like Fayose and Makinde are Yorubas.
Which among Wike’s allies have more influence on him than others? Is it his Igbo allies or his Yoruba allies? Would they work in harmony or would allies of each tribe wanna support one of their own? Would Fayose and Makinde wanna support Tinubu and therefore try to influence Wike to do the same? This is another factor that would influence who Wike would support.

Third, APC Is A Ruling Party.
Wike might wanna think that since APC is a ruling party, throwing his weight behind the party might be the safest option to take if he wants to play anti-party. We all know APC and the brand of politics they play. As much as we are hoping for a free, fair and transparent elections, do not rule out APC playing some abracadabra just to retain power. Now, Wike might not wanna gamble by supporting a Labour Party that is not grounded enough hence, he might decide to toe the path he feels is sure.

Fourth, To Make The Yoruba His Allies.
Wike might wanna believe that throwing his weight behind Tinubu might warm him into the hearts of more Yoruba people and end up bringing the Yoruba to his side and them his allies in case of future contests. It will be the perfect handshake across the Niger. The question Wike would have to ask himself is which would be more profitable to him; alliance with the Yoruba or alliance with the Igbo? Again Wike would also have to know that Tinubu already has a lot boys and men to settle which would make it difficult for Wike to get anything tangible from Tinubu’s presidency.

Other than these four reasons, I see no other reason Wike might wanna support Tinubu but you can add yours.

Conclusively, I would say that if Wike is wise and strategic, he should align with Obi, Kwankwaso and co and become the new shot callers in Nigeria if they succeed than serve as just another of Tinubu’s many boys.

Penguin is a bird of reason.

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Fergie001
Garfield1
Truthisunique
PrinceofLagos
guy wike can never support peter obi simply because right now his greatest allies now are seyi makinde n fayose n I believe u saw how makinde stood by wike n even brought him to south west n lately what fayose said about wike being cheated

Wike is a big man n what he needs now if he wants to cross is to make a bold statement,do u think he will make any statement by supporting obi n losing?

Once he joins apc it’s game over n I believe u know fayose stand?

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by Penguin2: 11:28am On Jun 30, 2022
helinues:

If Obi becomes president, who will appoint EFCC chairman?

And are you aware that EFCC reports to the office of the Attorney General of the Federation who is appointed by the president?

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by Penguin2: 11:31am On Jun 30, 2022
Factcheck0001:
guy wike can never support peter obi simply because right now his greatest allies now are seyi makinde n fayose n I believe u saw how makinde stood by wike n even brought him to south west n lately what fayose said about wike being cheated

Wike is a big man n what he needs now if he wants to cross is to make a bold statement,do u think he will make any statement by supporting obi n losing?

Once he joins apc it’s game over n I believe u know fayose stand?

So far, what is explicit about Fayose’s stance is that it’s the turn of the south.

Who they will support amongst the southern candidates has not been mentioned and Fayose clearly said Nigerians should wait and expect news.

So except you have privileged information unknown to everyone else, it’s not known who they will be supporting.

Or do you?

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by LegendHero(m): 11:32am On Jun 30, 2022
Wike is a politician who understand the game. If he move to labor party to support Peter Obi, he will shoot himself in the foot because it is statistically impossible for Peter obi to win Nigeria presidency. Either with or without Wike, Obi Cannot win. So Wike will lose his influence at the center if that happens.

Secondly, if he decamp to APC to support Tinubu, he already got a candidate as governor in PDP so moving to APC will be him shooting himself again coupled with the Amaechi/Abe rivalry he will face. APC won’t win Rivers state with/without Wike. I don’t think he got that much hold on the state like we think.

The best bet for Wike is this. Remain in PDP to retain Rivers state for your governorship candidate and work covertly with Tinubu to make sure he gets 35% in Rivers in next election.

By doing that, he handicapped Atiku because if he lose Rivers by more than 40%, he is done for in that election.

146 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by ThatFairGuy1: 11:36am On Jun 30, 2022
So Wike is now someone Ndi Igbo wants to identify with.

I thought his Political career is finished after obigbo massacre cheesy

146 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by fergie001: 11:38am On Jun 30, 2022
Penguin Penguin

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by helinues: 11:38am On Jun 30, 2022
Penguin2:

If Obi becomes president, who will appoint EFCC chairman?

And are you aware that EFCC reports to the office of the Attorney General of the Federation who is appointed by the president?

President with less than 10% of his party members in reps or Senate..

His policies won't pass his desk
Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by helinues: 11:39am On Jun 30, 2022
ThatFairGuy1:
So Wike is now someone Ndi Igbo wants to identify with.

I thought his Political career is finished after obigbo massacre cheesy

Abeg, allow the confusion on the thread to just continue.

grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by Mfetenang: 11:41am On Jun 30, 2022
Wike is a good politician, he knows very well that Peter Obi can't win a presidential election in Nigeria. Wike does not play Twitter politics

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by ThatFairGuy1: 11:42am On Jun 30, 2022
Okay o grin
helinues:

Abeg, allow the confusion on the thread to just continue.

grin

143 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by naija4life247: 11:42am On Jun 30, 2022
We dey watch
Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by kponkedenge(m): 11:42am On Jun 30, 2022
helinues:

Why would EFCC pick Wike?

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by PaChukwudi44(m): 11:43am On Jun 30, 2022
helinues:

With or without Wike's support.APC will not any state in the SS let Rivers

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Or Tinubu, Who Would Wike Support? by naija4life247: 11:43am On Jun 30, 2022
PaChukwudi44:

With or without Wike's support.APC will not any state in the SS let Rivers

Good dream

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abuja Airport Goes Agog Over Peter Obi / Tinubu Rally: 423 Buses Conveyed Paid Crowd From Benue And Kogi States To Enugu / 2023 Prophesy Fulfilment In 2024: Senator Monday Okpebholo Is Edo Governor 2024.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.