Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,370 members, 7,836,496 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? (4035 Views)

How Best To Identify A Nollywood Movie / What Are Your Most Memorable Scenes From A Nollywood Film? / Ghost Receiving A Phone Call In A Nollywood Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 25, 2011
I WAS THE ONE WHO POSTED THE THREAD, ASKING IF AN ACTION NOLLYWOOD MOVIE WILL SELL. NOW I WANT TO KNOW IF A NOLLYWOOD MOVIE WILL DO WELL IN THE MARKET IF THERE ARE NO KNOWN FACES LIKE THE RAMSEY NOAH'S, THE MERCY JOHNSON'S AND THE GENEVIEVE'S?

IS THERE NO ROOM FOR SOMEONE LIKE JACK BAUER WHO COMES INTO THE SCENE AFTER SENTINELS, STARS IN 24 AND THEN BECOMES A SUPERSTAR FROM THERE? MUST AN AVERAGE NOLLYWOOD MOVIE ACTOR DO SERIES OF MOVIES BEFORE HIS HER FACE BEGINS TO SELL? AND IF ME AND MY CREW SHOULD DO A MOVIE WITHOUT A POPULAR FACE WILL IT NOT SELL?

I WOULD ONCE AGAIN CHERISH YOUR INVALUABLE CONTRIBUTIONS AND RESPONSES.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by iice(f): 4:35am On Jul 27, 2011
Have no idea with regards to nollywood.
And i think actors don't do TV just to get popular but mostly to stretch, gain more/finesse, interest in something different/stable and sometimes for the paycheck. . . at least in Tinseltown.
Errhhh Kiefer Sutherland has been popular since his Lost boys days.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 27, 2011
@poster
as i said earlier, these producers HAVE to get these familiar faces so that people can buy their movies because the movies themselves are garbage (poor script, poor acting, poor lighting, poor audio, poor editing)

so a movie that normally wouldnt get any buzz on merit, suddenly gets a lot of buzz simply because a familiar face is in it.
today you'll get a great unknown actor for peanuts in 9ja if you search right and have the right casting call!
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Jayboy124: 10:52pm On Jul 27, 2011
Don't know what exactly you mean by 'sell'.

If 'sell' is make money from box office and dvd/vcd sales, then you must have known faces or you have to have money to market and promote your movie.

If 'sell' however means, getting recognition et al, then you can do that. I always feel aspiring filmakers have to concentrate on getting recognition more than anything else.

If we had known and respected critics in Nigeria, it'll have been easier for a very good film without big stars to make money.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by ghboytelle(m): 5:54pm On Jul 30, 2011
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by ghboytelle(m): 5:56pm On Jul 30, 2011
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by ghboytelle(m): 5:57pm On Jul 30, 2011
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by ghboytelle(m): 5:57pm On Jul 30, 2011
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by DeGenius3(m): 6:50pm On Jul 30, 2011
they will if they do a mass marketing and some partnership with good companies.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 30, 2011
Who cares about popular faces?

I look for good story line. Infact, I avoid most movies with popular faces cuz most of them suck at acting.

Nollywood is getting boring anyway. I only wait for Majid Michel movies. And  don't mind watching some of Frank Artus movies, because he can act.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 30, 2011
What's special about popular face besides where is Liz benson and regina askia of ''yesteryears'' ?
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Gbenge77(m): 7:18pm On Jul 30, 2011
I dont think so
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Nymphnode(m): 8:10pm On Jul 30, 2011
How much are you willing to spend on advertisement? Get that guy with the bush baby voice to announce your story line, show them effects from 'House of Macro' and tell them the movie was shot in london, cairo and iraq, even if the london scene is of you hailing a cab at heathrow then and there you have yourself box office.How much are you willing to spend on advertisement? Get that guy with the bush baby voice to announce your story line, show them effects from 'House of Macro' and tell them the movie was shot in london, cairo and iraq, even if the london scene is of you hailing a cab at heathrow then and there you have yourself box office.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Breeze5000: 8:58pm On Jul 30, 2011
Here it is, which do you prefare?
Cola Cola or Sinzu Cream?
Peak Milk or Lakati Milk?
Suya or Samko?
Well lemme help you choose, your answers would be Coca Cola, Peak Milk and Suya. You know why? because these are brands or things you know already and the others don't even exist because you don't know them. So people go for brands they know and are familiar with, it is the human nature. Same with Nollywood people would rather see a Genevieve than a Grace cos they don't know jack about Grace, but on rare cases where the faces are not too known, then the Director or Producers name might sell the movie. Stephen Spielberg's name sold "Jurassic park" because the Actors were not Major A-list stars. Your next question might be, how would you know an actor if they are not given any roles, well they start as what is called "Waka Pass',  Sometimes 2 -5mins in the movie,   Depends, Sometimes they get even longer roles, but always as supporting act. This gives them the ability to show case what they've got, once the audience falls in love with them, they are in. Do you know that Genevieve was playing a supporting Role in the movie "Most Wanted" with Ibinabo Fiberesima, Regina Askia and Ayo Adesanya playing lead? Genevieve had a little role with these big stars then. But today she is about the biggest in Africa,  So if your aim is to give upcoming acts a chance to showcase their skills follow the example I just gave because no one would touch your movie without a known face even if it's the best movie ever.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by kcjazz(m): 9:06pm On Jul 30, 2011
You do not need a big face to sell, you do need smart marketing to succeed. In fact a popular face is not always a guarantee.

Like someone mentioned, the story line is key, think of old Superstory series, all unknown actors but the stories are interesting.

Not sure of your budget, but if it is on the small side, use social media like fb, twitter and Youtube to engage with online fans. Involve them even in your audition videos, have them to vote on who they will like to see on the movie and then hit the streets. Every week make short videos that touches national consciousness to show you know your stuff and then show your movie release  date

Also just because you are looking for unknown faces, that does not mean your neighbor should be on the video except ofcourse he/she is natural actor. Get good actors with a good diction and do your research.

In all you can succeed with the right efforts, think Walt Disney VS Pixar cartoons, Pixar strategy is to use unknown faces and a good story line eg Ratatoulie movie, and they make money.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by knzguru(m): 11:36pm On Jul 30, 2011
I hope so else my movie, premiering in cinemas next month is in trouble. Not a single known face

Do check out the movie trailer -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSkFU6mlz0&feature=feedwll
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Breeze5000: 12:06am On Jul 31, 2011
kcjazz:

You do not need a big face to sell, you do need smart marketing to succeed. In fact a popular face is not always a guarantee.

Like someone mentioned, the story line is key, think of old Superstory series, all unknown actors but the stories are interesting.

Not sure of your budget, but if it is on the small side, use social media like fb, twitter and Youtube to engage with online fans. Involve them even in your audition videos, have them to vote on who they will like to see on the movie and then hit the streets. Every week make short videos that touches national consciousness to show you know your stuff and then show your movie release  date

Also just because you are looking for unknown faces, that does not mean your neighbor should be on the video except ofcourse he/she is natural actor. Get good actors with a good diction and do your research.

In all you can succeed with the right efforts, think Walt Disney VS Pixar cartoons, Pixar strategy is to use unknown faces and a good story line eg Ratatoulie movie, and they make money.

1. By Smart Marketing, what exactly do you mean? (Cos dude might spend three times the budget of the movie on publicity alone and still that is not a guarantee that people will see the movie. Naija-wise nobody will market the movie, people just don't go for what they don't know it's that simple)

2. Super stories were not released on Cinema, It is first on TV before anything else so it doesn't fall under this discussion. Again it is being powered by "Wale Adenuga" which is already a known brand

3. Disney or Pixar also does not fall under this discussion because more than 90% of the people who watch Animation don't know the people behind the voice. I am a big fan of Animation and I don't really care about those behind the voice, I just wanna enjoy the movie, knowing those doing the voice might even distract me from enjoying the movie. I didnt enjoy Shriek so well cos I knew "Eddy Murphy" was doing the voice of the "Donkey" so instead of me to enjoy the movie, I was just hearing Eddy Murphy and seeing the image of a Donkey, Anyway I hope you catch my drift. Even in Hollywood they don't go for unknown actors except it's been backed by a Known Director like "Spelberg" and co,
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by kcjazz(m): 1:17am On Jul 31, 2011
Breeze5000:

1. By Smart Marketing, what exactly do you mean? (Cos dude might spend three times the budget of the movie on publicity alone and still that is not a guarantee that people will see the movie. Naija-wise nobody will market the movie, people just don't go for what they don't know it's that simple)

It is untrue that folks don't watch cos they don't know, there is a market for low rated Hollywood or Bollywood in Nigeria, I am very sure Bollywood does not advertise in Nigeria plus Nollywood is popular in Jamaica but we don't advertise there. Plus there is Mount Zion movie strategy, unknown actors and a good platform to distribute even though quality is bad.

That said, he is a new fellow without a brand so what is he gonna do? Easy way out is quality and a good story line plus seeking out opinion leaders in news and social media. Price to market=0 naira.

Breeze5000:

2. Super stories were not released on Cinema, It is first on TV before anything else so it doesn't fall under this discussion. Again it is being powered by "Wale Adenuga" which is already a known brand

Same issue,different medium. The idea is spending less for actors and Superstory pulled it off with its stories plus a huge network which is the NTA.

Per Pixar VS Disney argument, I would like to see your 90% numbers and research, maybe you can present it to Disney so they can change their straegy. Don't just roll out numbers based on nothing cos it is the fans that pay and before Pixar came into the scene there were other competitors to Disney but they never pulled it off. Your preference is a minority at least based on Disney numbers.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by apple1977: 1:57am On Jul 31, 2011
The challenge with most nollywood movies is a tendency to recycle the same old themes. Therefore a famous face certainly makes the movie appear more interesting as this plays on the psychological factor being the viewer's attachment to a particular actor/actress. The actor/actress becomes a brand and therefore plays a role in influencing the viewers buying decision.
Personally when I look for movies to watch I do have a tendency to look for specific individuals whose performance I know is above par.That said a supporting actor/actress will need to present an outstanding performance to catch the attention of the viewer. A mundane performance certainly will not do it as there are many mediocre actors/actresses in Nollywood at the moment.
Hope this helps.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Basics007: 3:44am On Jul 31, 2011
If the film is crap then it definitely needs 'faces' to sell it. The secret to selling any movie in Nig is the amount of buzz you can create and the track record of the director and or director. Case in point are Mainframe movies. They always sell cos people (i mean yoruba folks) trust Tunde Kelani a lot despite the fact that he may not even feature a known face as his main artiste.
Buzz too sells movie a lot cos a movie may be bad but if u get the 'papers,electronic media,blogs etc talkin about them,curiousity will surely be heightened e.g. Ije and Mirror Boy. I havent watch them but i cant wait to.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by marcus1234: 7:24am On Jul 31, 2011
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by deb(m): 1:50am On Aug 01, 2011
They are churning out rubbish everyday so they will always need those faces
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by energygirl: 4:31pm On Aug 01, 2011
Been Brazilian, I watch movie on story not the face. I watched banjul cops on www.yatotainment.com ? is good film from nice africa country. me and my nigerien friend in school here watch together last time.

tchau bye
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 02, 2011
the problems of Nollywood lies in this: there is a HUGE difference between being a MOVIE STAR and being an ACTOR.
i mean lets be honest here, which of these Nollywood actor CAN ACT?!
most got ONE good movie, and suddenly everyone wants to watch them again because that first movie had a great story that touched the people (focus on the MOVIE being good, not their acting)

Hollywood also get these untalented "movie stars" who were lucky to be (or pull) ONE good movie, cant act for shiit, but yet get thousands of roles afterwards: check Keanu Reeves (never saw him act), John Travolta (yeah he could DANCE but apart from Face Off. . . . . .), Vin Diesel, Lindsay Lohan, Orlando Bloom, Jenifer Lopez, Megan Fox, Ben Affleck, Vinnie jones . . . . . . . . . . and the list goes on.

the big difference between Nollywood and Hollywood is that the latter has got hundreds of great talented actors to back up for the untalented ones while Nollywood. . . . . . . . . . . . .oh well!
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Nwazo(m): 3:56pm On Aug 04, 2011
Lets hoping with the new crop of Nigerian film makers emerging, new Nollywood stars will also be made.

This trailer for a Nollywood flick coming out in Nigerian cinemas this month looks rather promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSkFU6mlz0?hd=1

With production values of Nigerian movies improving. It's possible the regular Nollywood fan's taste in movies will change and won't need to depend on seeing a popular face, as long as whatever they're watching has solid production values and is actually a good story to begin with!
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by kerry2011: 4:52am On Aug 17, 2011
Most of the time, as for success of movie, advertisement conduct propaganda and star effect are indispensable. It greatly depends on maketing management.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 17, 2011
i think the only chance the person will get is when the acting is outstanding or when the face sells, as par,beautiful/handsome
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by BABE3: 1:38am On Aug 19, 2011
Yes, they do need Popular faces to sell well well. If popular faces don't sell, then why do "they" put a popular face that only acted in one scene in a movie movie as the star (biggest) picture on the cover of the movie? undecided They keep giving us what we want (popular faces) and we keep buying the movies.

Personally, If I don't see a popular face on the cover of a Nollywood movie, there's a 90% chance I ain't gonna watch it.

We haven't reached the Hollywood Level yet---where anything goes, so far the acting and plot are on point.

In a nutshell, they need a popular face to make a good/bad story sell.
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by meyri: 6:16am On Aug 19, 2011
In order for a face to become popular it has to be seen over and over again. Everybody deserves an opportunity. The problem lies with the Nollywood industry, it all about quantity instead of quality. bombarding a movie with a popular face doesn't guarantee a great story line but will "guarantee a great sell. And as long as the production company makes their money who cares about quality. Frankly I am tired of these 30 something year actresses and actors playing character far young they look like and I am tired of the same played out scenario being produced with their predictable endings. Nollywood need to some fresh faces, and new story lines.

cheesy cheesy I loving the movie trailer for ZR-7, that a some of u posted. The story is very original and the picture is superb, thumbs up to the writers, directors, producers and actors
Re: Will A Nollywood Movie Sell Without A Popular Face? by kelyusuf: 1:04pm On Aug 19, 2011
D viewers are used to lack of quality, so they feel they could at least see faces they admire, at least for their excellence in role interpretation.
Trust me, once we increase the all-round quality of our movies, it wouldn't really matter how popular the role interpreter is, rather how well he/she does it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Game Of Thrones (season 6) / Do You Still Use This Television In Your House (pic) / Ini Edo: The Latest Producer In Town

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.