Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? (47744 Views)

Is This Pure Act Of Slavery Or Real Job Vacancy? (Picture) / Slavery In Our Labour Market / Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by jojothaiv(m): 4:36pm On Jul 02, 2022
LienwaltAbel:
Nna ehn. And when you tell them unchecked capitalism is equal to madness they'll call you a communist. Even if such kind of nonsense agreement is backed by law, it is what it is, legal slavery.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by gentleguy1975: 4:40pm On Jul 02, 2022
Amarisco:

Yeah, it’s just to prevent a conflict of interest.
it can only be conflict of interest if he is still working with the company and engages in similar business
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by SlavaUkraini: 4:42pm On Jul 02, 2022
Stanislause94:
Can this be true?
If true let we the yorubas support an Igbo man for president of the federal republic of Nigeria come 2023. God bless ndigbo for turning Lagos to a beautiful city.

All this Tribal Sentiments and Tribalistic sales pitch will not take Nigeria anywhere...

Let us discuss National issues and Candidates instead of all these Nairaland Tribal Warfare.

Nigeria would be great again...

God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Toriagirl(f): 4:44pm On Jul 02, 2022
Abeg nothing will happen, they normally say these things.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by splashbaby(m): 4:47pm On Jul 02, 2022
Abilistic:

How Will they know if you join another company doing similar business after you resign or got fired?

I think they just want to scare people
No, they don't want you to work for their rivals when you have sensitive company's data at your disposal. With the agreement they can relief you off any post you hold in any rival companies. It's to protect their interest.... Not slavery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by LienwaltAbel(m): 4:47pm On Jul 02, 2022
GboyegaD:

Have you seen how relationship managers move accounts when they switch banks in Nigeria? The employer also needs be protected.
Yinmu. As long as you've sacked me or I've resigned, you can't hold my life in bondage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by UncleJudax(m): 4:47pm On Jul 02, 2022
Amarisco:

Yeah, it’s just to prevent a conflict of interest.
this is usually when you are still with the current employer.

Unless they would pay for the period that they would like you not to work for a similar coy while no longer with them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Mina79(f): 4:51pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
Had job offer... But there's a part of contract that's making me so scared. It says employee should not join any other company doing similar things or selling similar products for the period of one year, after terminating his/her appointment. Is this not a modern form of slavery?
They are mad!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Newyorkitis(m): 4:56pm On Jul 02, 2022
jrusky:
Your statement sound strange. I never heard of such in my entire life. Sorry I employed people as well I have never seen or heard anybody raised this type of discussion in my presence, however did you check if that company is a cultist den hiding as a company?

What you said is strange and has occultic undertone because that is that is their style, how can a company say a year after you left them you can work for similar company so if you are in Abj and you get offer in Enugu or Ondo state they will come looking for you? Or which employment law stated such occultic contract signing method?

It's either its an acultic set up or you are just not telling us the truth.

It exist, sir and it is not occultic.
I'll give you an example: if you are employed in company A and they are into Pizza �, they will have a clause that states that you can't work in another company that is into Pizza � for a period after you've left them.
Perhaps this is to ensure that you don't pass along their trade secret or procedures to another company.

However, it'll be difficult to prosecute anyone here in Nigeria just as you've pointed out because they don't have the resources to do so and it'll put the company in bad light (My opinion)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Mumusaphire: 4:59pm On Jul 02, 2022
Ijaya123:

The company did not stop him from getting another job, just not with a competing company. Like leaving MTN to go work in Airtel.
so he should go to another field he doesnt know about? Common. Like football coach should go coach rugby team.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by GboyegaD(m): 4:59pm On Jul 02, 2022
LienwaltAbel:

Yinmu. As long as you've sacked me or I've resigned, you can't hold my life in bondage.

We all are our own problem. If we can't abide by contracts that are binding and we want a better Nigeria, we are hypocrites.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by thatigboman1: 5:00pm On Jul 02, 2022
Abilistic:

How Will they know if you join another company doing similar business after you resign or got fired?

I think they just want to scare people
the new company will write to them naa. And they write a stinker about you. If u sign the agreement and break it, they will likely sue u.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by LienwaltAbel(m): 5:03pm On Jul 02, 2022
GboyegaD:

We all are our own problem. If we can't abide by contracts that are binding and we want a better Nigeria, we are hypocrites.
How the Bleep does that make Nigeria worse or better? That's a stupid contract which I will gladly break and break again because it's trying to restrict my freedom for no goddamned reason. I'm sure you download songs and books online for free, you're not any better.

If you take offense, I'm sorry for anything. All in all, the contract is slavery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by FireUpNow(m): 5:04pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

They didn't put consequences
maybe the consequences are hidden. OP the contract is a bleep

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Damaski: 5:04pm On Jul 02, 2022
Run! The company is in Lekki

They didn't put consequences [/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by emperortony: 5:05pm On Jul 02, 2022
its a non compete clause, so they dont fire you and you join their competitors with the knowledge you already gainer from them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by NaijaFutbol: 5:06pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
Had job offer... But there's a part of contract that's making me so scared. It says employee should not join any other company doing similar things or selling similar products for the period of one year, after terminating his/her appointment. Is this not a modern form of slavery?

This is normal if you are working in the tecnical, design, development or research part of the company.

You can sign and ignore them if you get similar opportunity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Fuckyoumod: 5:06pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
bro, that clause or law is not known to Nigeria labor laws, so therefore that law is null and void before the law in any court of law. Its and illegal clause so fear not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by 79733139(m): 5:06pm On Jul 02, 2022
The courts always throw out contracts based on illegalities. The contract cannot stand in any court. The contract is only legally binding while he is employed.

GboyegaD:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by ednut1(m): 5:07pm On Jul 02, 2022
Its normal in some industries. When i was an auditor there where some companies we audited who are not legally allowed to hire us as employee. Applicable in Nigeria as well as Canada self. In your case you will take trade secrets to a competitor. So they have to protect themselves na

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by GboyegaD(m): 5:07pm On Jul 02, 2022
LienwaltAbel:

How the Bleep does that make Nigeria worse or better? That's a stupid contract which I will gladly break and break again because it's trying to restrict my freedom for no goddamned reason. I'm sure you download songs and books online for free, you're not any better.

If you take offense, I'm sorry for anything. All in all, the contract is slavery.

No one forced anyone to sign and if you are not convinced, don't sign it. Be reasonable and act like singing who is reasonable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by cmikel: 5:08pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

They are only trying to stop their competitors from hiring you and benefiting from the value they put in you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by HilcomTech(m): 5:11pm On Jul 02, 2022
sammirano:
That is a non-compete, nondisclosure clause. If the offer is worth it you may take it. If not move, some companies require up to 5 years in some countries.

Na lie.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Higgies(m): 5:12pm On Jul 02, 2022
hollandis:

What sort of illiteracy do you operate on? You go school?
I went to only Ile keu
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by GboyegaD(m): 5:15pm On Jul 02, 2022
79733139:
The courts always throw out contracts based on illegalities. The contract cannot stand in any court. The contract is only legally binding while he is employed.

What is the illegality in this case? It is a contract that is binding if you choose to append your signature on it. It is stated in the offer letter and it is part of the terms and conditions. Whoever signs it isn't forced and neither is it signed under duress. It is time we take responsibility for our lives and actions and stop being unnecessary cunning in the name of being smart.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by lendahand(m): 5:17pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
trash

1 Like

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by petite626: 5:18pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

Your CV shouldnt have a space of a year or more where you were unemployed cos its a red flag except you can defend it so please dont take the Job if you have other options but if you dont then its left to you to decide.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Spray(m): 5:19pm On Jul 02, 2022
petite626:

Your CV shouldnt have a space of a year or more where you were unemployed cos its a red flag except you can defend it so please dont take the Job if you have other options but if you dont then its left to you to decide.
I have other options
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by abdulwassi(m): 5:19pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

A God sent should link me up with a job.. abeeeggggg!
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by pharmaking: 5:23pm On Jul 02, 2022
If u cannot keep to it, then decline.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Ijaya123: 5:26pm On Jul 02, 2022
Mumusaphire:
so he should go to another field he doesnt know about? Common. Like football coach should go coach rugby team.

He has an option not to accept the employment.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by ZIAZI(m): 5:27pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

I'd advise you not to conform to it. If you do so, you'd be bound by it.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Unemployment: How Have You Been Surviving After NYSC? / Would You Give Blowjobs For 100k Monthly? Twitter User Narrates Ordeal / Fresh Graduate & Entry-level Jobs At MTN Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.