Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,546 members, 7,812,721 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? (47732 Views)

Is This Pure Act Of Slavery Or Real Job Vacancy? (Picture) / Slavery In Our Labour Market / Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Mumusaphire: 3:53pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
Had job offer... But there's a part of contract that's making me so scared. It says employee should not join any other company doing similar things or selling similar products for the period of one year, after terminating his/her appointment. Is this not a modern form of slavery?
they trying to form oyinbo people, but they forgot there should be clause to it. I mean for d whole year, they should pay ur salary fully.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Realists(m): 3:53pm On Jul 02, 2022
Stanislause94:
Can this be true?
If true let we the yorubas support an Igbo man for president of the federal republic of Nigeria come 2023. God bless ndigbo for turning Lagos to a beautiful city.

You failed to include their source of wealth, The Yoruba landlord is a honestman while the Igboman is into underworld things, the igbo's should stop being bastards by developing other people's land, let them go and develop their fathers land.

1 Like

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Eagba(m): 3:53pm On Jul 02, 2022
hollandis:

You are daft ,take the job .Always say yes to every job and then resign after you get another job
look at who isn't daft.

1 Like

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by PumpumPrince: 3:54pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
Had job offer... But there's a part of contract that's making me so scared. It says employee should not join any other company doing similar things or selling similar products for the period of one year, after terminating his/her appointment. Is this not a modern form of slavery?

angry
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by chxe: 3:55pm On Jul 02, 2022
It is called a Non-Compete agreement. It’s done to protect the company’s trade secrets.

Make sure you read about it and consult a lawyer before you sign. I read somewhere that it is enforced in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by PumpumPrince: 3:56pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

COMMMON SENSE IS SOPOSE TO BE COMMON IN 2022 SIR!!
...It is not slavery..its a simple rule....YOU DONT LIKE THE COMPANY RULE...YOU LEAVE..u should count yor sef luckY YOU GOT A JOB OFFER.
QUIT nagggin please!!!!! (no ofeinse)
angry
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Ofadaman(m): 3:56pm On Jul 02, 2022
Yea most telecoms and software most times place this clause in their contract , most people go on to jobs in same sector but it could be a problem if your new employer ask for reference.

Also it could be an issue if they decide to sue you for breach of agreement , this could lead to fines, jail time and loss of job

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by 123yes(m): 3:59pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

My confuse is confused bro. Lol. I may decline the offer though

My friend do the job if it worth it. They can't do you anything unless they want to enter labour case and branded slavery company.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Mumusaphire: 4:00pm On Jul 02, 2022
Ijaya123:

It is standard practice so that you don't share the company trade secrets with another competing brand.
and what will they offer him for the whole year? Or he should just stay home doing nothing.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Iseoluwani: 4:02pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

Don't take such jobs

1 Like

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Iseoluwani: 4:03pm On Jul 02, 2022
Mumusaphire:
and what will they offer him for the whole year? Or he should just stay home doing nothing.

O su mii
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Kobicove(m): 4:03pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

It's not a form of slavery.

It's perfectly legal to include it in an employment contract especially if the company plans to give employee some training which will expose some of their trade secrets

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by harjay1986: 4:04pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

most company have that now like my case what it means is that if I resign I should not use the certificates that I gain from the first company for that period to gain another employment but if these certificate are my own like I sponsor myself with my own cash while working with them it will noy count ..... mostly company use it to scare potential worker because over the years some worker has resign using what they gain from the company to gain employment some where else......

I call it fear tactic

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Machinegun91(m): 4:04pm On Jul 02, 2022
Occultic company?
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Mumusaphire: 4:05pm On Jul 02, 2022
Iseoluwani:

O su mii
abi, for someone to have a year break, there should be package down. Like one coach in premier league, inside his contract, there is clause that if he leave the club, he can't coach any team in england for a year, but with additional money.

1 Like

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Rivguydee(m): 4:06pm On Jul 02, 2022
Na Ogboni you dey join so
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by godofuck231: 4:09pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
your job their terms
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by obowunmi(m): 4:11pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

It’s called a “non-compete” clause.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by gassbee: 4:12pm On Jul 02, 2022
[quote author=Spray post=114348399]
Lol. Some new employer call former [/quotep]to ask wat exactly
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by FreeStuffsNG: 4:13pm On Jul 02, 2022
JoyousFurnitire:
Nothing will happen bro, is the job on the Island?
Please do not be young and naive. This kind of issue has kept some folks to be fugitives running from the law for years now. Their former employer did not only drag them to court but involved their new employer in the prolonged litigation as well. It happened in same Lagos and I was part of the team that tried to get the new employer out of the new employee's baggage.

Complying with this rule is simple and except the employee is not loyal and honest will he throw away the opportunity to get hired just on the account of this transparent clause his employer has used to protect itself

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by lolu2019: 4:15pm On Jul 02, 2022
How many companies maintained the signed agreement during the pandemic.my contract was due for june 2020,half salary was paid for march without transport allowances back to Lagos.no April and May payments.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by damoobaba: 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2022
Olasyke:
Will they arrest your for working after they've fired you? Cos I don't understand.

Or, will they be paying his salary for that ONE YEAR after he leaves the job. If they will continue paying the salary, no problem. Otherwise, won shiere.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Escobar7(m): 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2022
It's a Non compete clause, carries certain penalty
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Eminado1: 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2022
This is a non-compete clause. Part of its function is to ensure you do not take their customers or disclose sensitive information to competitors when you leave.

Organizations rarely enforce this strictly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Iamvetlander(m): 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2022
Stanislause94:
Can this be true?
If true let we the yorubas support an Igbo man for president of the federal republic of Nigeria come 2023. God bless ndigbo for turning Lagos to a beautiful city.

Dude take that stuff down, it doesn't make sense man. You're starting a war you can't finish, I am from the SS, this is completely wrong.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by descarado: 4:18pm On Jul 02, 2022
Stanislause94:
Can this be true?
Stale.
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by GboyegaD(m): 4:19pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

It is not. It is a non compete clause. If you are not comfortable with it, don't take the job.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Streetmovement(m): 4:20pm On Jul 02, 2022
Wotoporiously cool speaking

Op, All this kind job no dey make sense na, them go even cap you say make you no come the premises come patronize them within the period of that one year if you're being sacked from the work or you choose to resign, one of my tight manchi been don do this kind work before and nothing come out even salary sef he dey beg that time before he collect.

Him own na hotel work he been be, I no Sabi wetin be your own o so check am well before you loseguard.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Acidbath: 4:20pm On Jul 02, 2022
It's so you don't sell their secrets to a similar company or give the impression to others that the company you port to is better. Do you think it's easy to be innovative? As a staff, you are like a brand ambassador.

I remember years back, it was reported that someone from Coca-Cola wanted to sell manufacturing content info to Pepsi. Pepsi outed this person.

Also here in the zoo, a popular oap from hot 98.3 went for an audition at 96.9 cool FM, a top rival to become a broadcaster. She didn't scale through. Those in Abuja know what I am talking about. Cool FM by the way was owned by a white man( don't know about now) so of course he had shame not to allow that.

Most Nigerian companies however don't have shame. Always wanting to know secrets of their competition. They will pretend they want to employ...will invite you for interview if you are from a rival company...they will milk all info from you but won't employ you. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by GboyegaD(m): 4:25pm On Jul 02, 2022
LienwaltAbel:
Nna ehn. And when you tell them unchecked capitalism is equal to madness they'll call you a communist. Even if such kind of nonsense agreement is backed by law, it is what it is, legal slavery.

Have you seen how relationship managers move accounts when they switch banks in Nigeria? The employer also needs be protected.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by dchamp234(m): 4:35pm On Jul 02, 2022
phemmyfour:
Report them to the appropriate authority
Hahahaha, which one be appropriate authority for job mater again
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Ijaya123: 4:36pm On Jul 02, 2022
Mumusaphire:

The company did not stop him from getting another job, just not with a competing company. Like leaving MTN to go work in Airtel.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Unemployment: How Have You Been Surviving After NYSC? / Would You Give Blowjobs For 100k Monthly? Twitter User Narrates Ordeal / We Will Employ 500,000 Teachers In 2016 - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.