Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,275 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners (706 Views)

FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT / Appeal Court Ruling: Rivers, Lagos Free To Collect VAT – SANs / FG Removes VAT From Cooking Gas. Price To Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by Parachoko: 10:28pm On Jul 02, 2022
The court of appeal sitting in Lagos has ruled that the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) can collect value-added tax (VAT) from Lagos hoteliers.

The court gave its ruling on Friday following an appeal filed by the FIRS against the Lagos Hotel Owners Association of Nigeria.

VAT is a consumption tax payable when goods are purchased and services are rendered.

In 2019, a federal high court in Lagos barred the FIRS from enforcing VAT provisions on goods and services consumed in hotels, restaurants, and event centres in Lagos state.

The court upheld the powers of the state government to charge and collect consumption tax from hotels, restaurants, and event centres within the state.

Displeased with the verdict, FIRS proceeded to the court of appeal and subsequently secured a stay of execution pending the outcome of the appeal filed.

In its ruling, the appeal court set aside the federal high court’s judgement, affirming FIRS’ authority to collect VAT from all taxpayers.

The appeal court also struck out a counter-claim filed by the Lagos government against FIRS.

There is an ongoing legal tussle between FIRS and some state governments on the issue of VAT collection. But no date has been fixed for the hearing of the case at the supreme court.

https://www.thecable.ng/court-rules-firs-can-collect-vat-from-lagos-hotel-owners/amp
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by Parachoko: 10:32pm On Jul 02, 2022
Nigeria and Confusion
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by kozmokaz(m): 10:32pm On Jul 02, 2022
VAT from hotelier paid by Nigerians who lodged with there babes / concubines , also from sales of alcoholic brevrages which is against sharia law in some states

And the VAT collected from this hotels will still be shared to those states ba ?

Shey Una de see the kind hypocritical judgement we de see for nigeria ?
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by kozmokaz(m): 10:32pm On Jul 02, 2022
G grin
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by Jostoman: 10:34pm On Jul 02, 2022
Is that true? So it is FG that will now be collecting tax from orienta hotel's owner. Nawao I just hope this ariwoola will not make us to miss Tanko Muhammed.
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by godofuck231: 10:39pm On Jul 02, 2022
The true federal system says the states generates the revenue and gives to the federal government, not the federal government giving or taking , this is a military system of the cic taking and giving to the state, and its an aberration, and very evil act
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by helinues: 10:47pm On Jul 02, 2022
shocked
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by kozmokaz(m): 11:17pm On Jul 02, 2022
helinues:
Nice way to generate new income

Did you read the article or just the headline ?

Pls no bashing
I just want to confirm something
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by kozmokaz(m): 11:18pm On Jul 02, 2022
godofuck231:
The true federal system says the states generates the revenue and gives to the federal government, not the federal government giving or taking , this is a military system of the cic taking and giving to the state, and its an aberration, and very evil act

I don’t know u , but I owe you one cold life

1 Like

Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by godofuck231: 10:51am On Jul 03, 2022
kozmokaz:

I don’t know u , but I owe you one cold life
lol
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by kozmokaz(m): 10:54am On Jul 03, 2022
helinues:
shocked

My man my man

You see your life?
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by Parachoko: 12:34pm On Jul 03, 2022
kozmokaz:
VAT from hotelier paid by Nigerians who lodged with there babes / concubines , also from sales of alcoholic brevrages which is against sharia law in some states

And the VAT collected from this hotels will still be shared to those states ba ?

Shey Una de see the kind hypocritical judgement we de see for nigeria ?
I hope the Lagos State Government will appeal the case
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by kozmokaz(m): 12:36pm On Jul 03, 2022
Parachoko:
I hope the Lagos State Government will appeal the case

They have to
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by Parachoko: 12:37pm On Jul 03, 2022
Will this judgement nullify the judgement that was giving in favour of the Rivers State Government against the FIRS?

Cc kozmokaz
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by Parachoko: 12:40pm On Jul 03, 2022
kozmokaz:

They have to

I wander if this will affect the judgement between the Rivers State Government and FIRS
Re: Court Rules: FIRS Can Collect VAT From Lagos Hotel Owners by kozmokaz(m): 1:20pm On Jul 03, 2022
Parachoko:
I wander if this will affect the judgement between the Rivers State Government and FIRS

Very happy rivers state government started this revolution

If we all start doing what they are doing up north

There won't be a revenue from those commodities to share

The LASG will definitely win the appeal 100 percent sure of that . Unless they want to play along just cause of the coming election

(1) (Reply)

I Want A VP Candidate That Can Correct Me When Am Wrong - Peter Obi / Archbishop Designate Isaac Idahosa Visits Presidential Candidate Kwankwaso / 2023: The “obidient Movement” Will Be Distracted By Bbnaija – Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.