Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,846 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths (24874 Views)

Lagos Boat Accident: 15 Missing Passengers Found Dead / Six People Die In Ikorodu Boat Mishap (Disturbing Photos) / Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Nauttyprof(m): 10:30am On Jul 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:
The sentence is Too harsh, maybe i am wrong.

With 13 people dead? So, those lives are not as important as this person, right?
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by owoshuyi(m): 10:30am On Jul 07, 2022
Nigeria undecided. Same country where terrorists kidnap, kill, behead, and make innocent people become orphans, widows, and widowers all to later be pardoned and rehabilitated because they have 'repented'
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by iwaeda: 10:31am On Jul 07, 2022
Angelfrost:

Way too harsh... Justice is confused in Nigeria!

Why can't they jail looters and politicians for at least 20 years in this nation?!! Yet they jail phone thieves for life.
13 human lives, if your family is there, you will decree firing squad grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Originalsly: 10:53am On Jul 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

What you suggest it should be?... for causing the death if 13 persons? ... and affecting their families?... for life? Most likely some of the victims were breadwinner... now their children have to drop out of scbool/university to manage the family. Maybe he should get 2 years?... or that's also too harsh?
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Angelfrost(m): 10:57am On Jul 07, 2022
iwaeda:

13 human lives, if your family is there, you will decree firing squad grin grin grin grin grin grin

Jonathan was the president and Commander in chief when hundreds died due to insurgency.... Should he not be in jail for life?!!

Should Buhari not be hanged for all the deaths which this nation has not seen since The Civil War?!!

What about Gen. Ihejirika and the other Aboki general?!!

If the court can not clearly prove he deliberately brought about the sinking of the boat, then they have no case... Even if they could connect his negligence to the mishap, manslaughter doesn't carry life imprisonment anywhere!

2 Likes

Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Babalola0920: 10:58am On Jul 07, 2022
This sanwo olu government want to be of making money through judiciary systems and any means too much law's and agency will make it difficult for people to stay I think I'm getting a land in OSUN
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Curdlebug(m): 11:01am On Jul 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

13 dead , he carried above number, no license, probably unserviced boat and engines, yet he still carried above capacity...

Keep shut if u don't know wat to say

2 Likes

Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by dominique(f): 11:04am On Jul 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

You are wrong, the judgement is fair. Something similar happened in Korea some years back. A ferry conveying more passengers than its capacity (mostly secondary school students) capsized and sank. The captain was able to escape and fled. He was eventually caught and got sentenced to life imprisonment. What made him get the conviction was

1. He knew the ferry had mechanical issues YET he packed passengers mostly teenagers beyond its capacity
2. He knew the ferry was sinking YET he instructed the students to remain in their cubicles, everything was under control. The few students that did not take to the instruction were the ones that survived.
3. He left a sinking ship with all of it's occupants still onboard. As a captain, you must be the very last person to leave a sinking ship after every other occupant have been evacuated. Most captains go down with a sinking ship, the ones that don't and get caught are sentenced to death or life imprisonment. It is a clause on the contract they signed.

You can read more of this on the Wikipedia article on the tragedy.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_MV_Sewol

2 Likes

Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by iwaeda: 11:05am On Jul 07, 2022
Angelfrost:

Jonathan was the president and Commander in chief when hundreds died due to insurgency.... Should he not be in jail for life?!!

Should Buhari not be hanged for all the deaths which this nation has not seen since The Civil War?!!

What about Gen. Ihejirika and the other Aboki general?!!

If the court can not clearly prove he deliberately brought about the sinking of the boat, then they have no case... Even if they could connect his negligence to the mishap, manslaughter doesn't carry life imprisonment anywhere!

This is pure negilency angry grin grin grin It is because we don't have law in Nigeria, going above speed, capacity limits are grave offences in developed world grin grin grin grin
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Angelfrost(m): 11:10am On Jul 07, 2022
iwaeda:

This is pure negilency angry grin grin grin

Mothers and fathers lose kids due to negligence...

Landlords' negligence cause lives to be lost due to collapsing buildings...

I can go on and on!

I don't support evil, but when did Manslaughter become the same as Premeditated homicide?!! When did it become qualified for life imprisonment?!!
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by frozen70(f): 11:10am On Jul 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

Is not harsh

He was careless with the safety of his passengers and killed 13 passengers

How can he operate an unlicensed boat and with out a life Jacket

1 Like

Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by mabea: 11:10am On Jul 07, 2022
Very easy to sentence this guy to life imprisonment but difficult to hold the national captain responsible for the destruction of the security installation at kuje prison. Double standard.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by iwaeda: 11:20am On Jul 07, 2022
Angelfrost:

Mothers and fathers lose kids due to negligence...

Landlords' negligence cause lives to be lost due to collapsing buildings...

I can go on and on!

I don't support evil, but when did Manslaughter become the same as Premeditated homicide?!! When did it become qualified for life imprisonment?!!

This is public safety sis grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by hush15: 11:31am On Jul 07, 2022
iwaeda:

https://leadership.ng/court-jails-captain-for-life-over-lagos-boat-mishap-deaths/

Nonsense, which boat get captain?

I won't be surprised if it was the victims that even pleaded with the so called captain to carry them all as they are in a hurry cos our people are used to impunity.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Alaganature09(m): 11:58am On Jul 07, 2022
Dem jail am for life because of misconduct while Abba Kyari wey don do shit kill a lot of people and thief our money even get involved into drugs dem no jail am for life oooo

Infact this life no balance
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Johel(m): 12:01pm On Jul 07, 2022
Scamupdates:
any good reason for that

Read....block head

1 Like

Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by tommynico(m): 12:02pm On Jul 07, 2022
paskal16:
His negligence and carelessness Led to the death of over 10 persons
It’s a fair and just judgement
Please don't get me wrong, Don't you think that the sentence is too much?

Ofcourse lives were lost due to some inappropriate decisions, and he should be punished in accordance with the law, but my question is that, how about the government, who is going to punish them?

Do you know how much those boat operators have to pay to start operating in lagos waters?

Do you know how much it cost to construct a boat, this is not even adding the outboard engine?

Do the government really patrol these waters to ensure the operators are compliant, and if not, enforce it?

A mishap happened yesterday, not far from the jetty, two lives were lost, and thanks to the quick response of these same guys, not all were lost.

Now i thought about it and was asking myself, what if the government, through the water way agency had got some boats patrolling these waters to ensure the safety of lives and properties, all these mishaps would be cut down by 80 percent.

But truth be told, it's all a pipe dream because the government is only after the money they make from overcharging these guys, and they really do not give a cent about safety or anything.

But mind you, i am not in anyway supportive of the flagrant abuse of these private operators or their over disregard for safety, but the government itself is guilty in some ways because they have not played their part as expected of them.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Abiscodi11: 12:07pm On Jul 07, 2022
I wish the bad leaders in Nigeria could get death by hanging or firing squad with immediate effect
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by johnfem321: 12:13pm On Jul 07, 2022
I understand the family of the victims will still be mourning their loved once and want justice but in this case the sentence is to harsh.. life imprisonment for manslaughter? A 10 to 15 years sentence will be enough to learn is lesson and distrupt is life.. how long sentence do our politician get for negligence in bad road, healthcare, economic policies that have killed millions of Nigerian ?
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by adverttrading: 12:16pm On Jul 07, 2022
The government just like to suffer ordinary man. In the whole Lagos state, there is no effective emergency services to save lives when travelling by boat.
Some of those lives will be saved if there is prompt rescue.

When licensed boats sink, they don't charge them with manslaughter. We just un-look because those boats are owned by politically connected people.

From time, people in the riverine areas have been moving about with locally made wooden boats. Can they afford government license? Can they afford the cost of private jetty license? Should it not be government responsiblity to provide jetties and emergency services?

If the man is guilty of operating in an illegal jetty without license, charge him for that. Don't charge him for manslaughter because he is a poor man . As if he woke up that day with a plan to kill 20 people.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by TechtraGadgets: 12:18pm On Jul 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

Section 325 of the Nigerian Criminal Code. Punishment of manslaughter. Any person who commits the offence of manslaughter, is liable to imprisonment for life.

I believe the judge also wants to make an example here.

It's not harsh, considering 13 people died.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Nostring: 12:27pm On Jul 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:
you not only wrong, daft as well... Guess u skipped d part were 13 ppl died due to his carelessness
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by brosammy(m): 12:36pm On Jul 07, 2022
Even Boko-Haram that purposely waste people for no reason are treated better, the issue here is an accident, not intentional life imprisonment is too harsh.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by frog12: 1:05pm On Jul 07, 2022
but to convict looters, dey no fit do am
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by etrange: 1:09pm On Jul 07, 2022
I thought such sentences were reserved for premeditated murder? Yes, his greed and stupidity let to the death of these people, but did he take them to the sea to kill them? He wanted to make extra money and had an accident in the process. I see why he'd be jailed, I just didn't think that could fetch him such a sentence. Of course, I don't mean to undermine the sorrows of those that lost thier loved ones. I'm just trying to put logic before emotions. May the souls of the departed rest in peace and may thier loved ones find ways to move on.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by shiffynaani(m): 1:10pm On Jul 07, 2022
samuelson06:

You are wrong. It's not.
It's too harsh

Jee should appeal it

Wtf
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by samuelson06(m): 1:22pm On Jul 07, 2022
shiffynaani:
It's too harsh

Jee should appeal it

Wtf

Negligence to cause death is a big crime.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by omoadeleye(m): 2:10pm On Jul 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

So how come commercial drivers aren't given the same judgement

Shey commercial drivers dey survive accident tooo
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by GloriousGbola: 2:13pm On Jul 07, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

It is too harsh

The passengers are also culpable.

LASG is sending a message. Too many people are too casual about their business.

They really need to mete out the same to trailer owners and their drivers.

Too many dangerous businesses in Nigeria have no barrier to entry. I too can just get a canoe and start business. No life jacket, not training no nada.

Just vibes and God is in control

2 Likes

Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by RIDOO: 2:21pm On Jul 07, 2022
From my own perspective l think any reasonable person that love his/her life should have a life jacket even if they were not given by the boat operator/company .At least the person will be afloat Incase of any mishap till rescue comes.Most of these operators can swim so sorry is ones case if you can't swim n you are not on a life jacket.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by kafeii123: 2:40pm On Jul 07, 2022
ExplorerReturns:
Though the accident is a mistake but the captain was held responsible and accountable for his mistake.

Nigerian leaders should understand the concept of accountability. In saner climes, buhari should resign because of the national shame that happened at kuje prison

imagine.....Boris Johnson just resigned a while ago.... but down here....all na no shaking....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A German Slumps At Lagos Airport & Dies Thereafter / Flood Takes Over Igbokoda In Ondo (Photos) / Fire Guts Petrol Tanker, Stationary Trucks In Mile 2, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.