Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,135 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

Was Jesus A Drunkard? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Jesus A Drunkard? (3198 Views)

Bible Verse That Called God A Drunkard / Jesus Was A Drunkard. Yes, He Confessed. / "The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Jesus A Drunkard? by akinnux(m): 3:21pm On Jul 27, 2011
Matt 11:18-19 (NIV)

18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."

Was Jesus a drunkard as claimed by the Jews?
Could it be true that they saw Jesus indulged in alcohol?
Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by philip0906(m): 4:37pm On Jul 27, 2011
y not ask if Jesus ate egusi soup. . .block head undecided

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by rezzy: 4:48pm On Jul 27, 2011
@ philip, i love your reply
@ poster, wen you get to hell or heaven ask him

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:00pm On Jul 27, 2011
ofcourse he was a drunkard. i bet he even got baptized in a barrel of wine and later xtians changed the facts.
Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by wetu: 8:32am On Jul 28, 2011

18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."

The key word is they say. Did John have a demon? Was Jesus a glutton and a drunkard?

NO
Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by claremont(m): 9:03am On Jul 28, 2011
@OP: Even though there is no evidence that Jesus was a drunk, but there is evidence that his first miracle was to turn water to wine. That means that he does love a good brew or two just like everyone else. cheesy grin
Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by Nobody: 9:10am On Jul 28, 2011
Is there any evidence that says the water that was turned in to wine contained any form of Alcohol? shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by claremont(m): 9:12am On Jul 28, 2011
toba:

Is there any evidence that says the water that was turned in to wine contained any form of Alcohol? shocked shocked shocked
Biblically, wine symbolizes any alcoholic beverage. This has been proven beyond reasonable doubt, let's not debate this issue.
Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 28, 2011
Really? why can we debate it? or will this also be one of ur usual farce?
Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by claremont(m): 9:35am On Jul 28, 2011
toba:

Really? why can we debate it? or will this also be one of your usual farce?
The reason I don't like to get involved in such a trivial debate is not because I am a "chicken" or anything, anyone who knows me on here and everywhere else will know that I am the very last person to "chicken" out of theistic/atheistic debates. Changing water to wine is not even a debate worthy of my salient time and contribution, I will refer anyone who wants information on the alcoholic/non-alcoholic nature of biblical wine to Google.

P.S: Or better still, since you look kinda pretty from your profile, you can get in touch with me for a "private debate" about changing water to wine! cheesy grin wink
Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by akinnux(m): 9:39am On Jul 28, 2011
philip0906:

y not ask if Jesus ate egusi soup. . .block head undecided

This abuse is uncalled for. I am a Christian with so much regards for my Lord Jesus Christ but that cannot stop me from asking probing question.

rezzy:

@ philip, i love your reply
@ poster, wen you get to hell or heaven ask him

I will certainly ask him in heaven. You can have the choice of going to hell.
Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by claremont(m): 9:45am On Jul 28, 2011
akinnux:

This abuse is uncalled for. I am a Christian with so much regards for my Lord Jesus Christ but that cannot stop me from asking probing question.

I will certainly ask him in heaven. You can have the choice of going to hell.
You are indeed a very wise man. The real "block heads" are those who refuse to ask simple questions about their beliefs.
Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 28, 2011
claremont:

The reason I don't like to get involved in such a trivial debate is not because I am a "chicken" or anything, anyone who knows me on here and everywhere else will know that I am the very last person to "chicken" out of theistic/atheistic debates. Changing water to wine is not even a debate worthy of my salient time and contribution, I will refer anyone who wants information on the alcoholic/non-alcoholic nature of biblical wine to Google.

P.S: Or better still, since you look kinda pretty from your profile, you can get in touch with me for a "private debate" about changing water to wine! cheesy grin wink

LWKMD so atheist sef get feelings and balls LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by akinnux(m): 10:02am On Jul 28, 2011
wetu:

The key word is they say. Did John have a demon? Was Jesus a glutton and a drunkard?

NO

I disagree with your analysis and interpretation sir.
Firstly, Jesus himself made this statement and it wasn't a case of rhetoric question.
Secondly, the second part of verse 19 which talks are his association with taxcollectors and sinners is an undisputed fact, remember Zaccheus and even Matthew.
Thirdly, I have again listed the scripture below in different versions that are very explicit for you to understand.

Matt 11:18-19 (The Living Bible)

18 For John the Baptist doesn't even drink wine and often goes without food, and you say, 'He's crazy.' 
19 And I, the Messiah, feast and drink, and you complain that I am 'a glutton and a drinking man, and hang around with the worst sort of sinners!' But brilliant men like you can justify your every inconsistency!"

Matt 11:18-19 (Contemporary English Version)

18 John the Baptist did not go around eating and drinking, and you said, "That man has a demon in him!"  19 But the Son of Man goes around eating and drinking, and you say, "That man eats and drinks too much! He is even a friend of tax collectors and sinners." Yet Wisdom is shown to be right by what it does.

Matt 11:18-19 (Amplified Bible)

18 For John came neither eating nor drinking [with others], and they say, He has a demon!
19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking [with others], and they say, Behold, a glutton and a wine drinker, a friend of tax collectors and [especially wicked] sinners! Yet wisdom is justified and vindicated by what she does (her deeds) and by her children.
Re: Was Jesus A Drunkard? by wetu: 9:41am On Jul 29, 2011
Well, you asked a question:
Was Jesus a drunkard as claimed by the Jews?

By your question, you are agreeing that the Jews claimed that Jesus was a drunkard. That is exactly what the Bible says, "they say".

Now we all know that John the Baptist did not have a demon as the Jews claimed. The fact that Jesus recited what they say about John doesn't make it true. The fact that Jesus recited what they say about him doesn't make it true either.

Of course it's true that John was not eating or drinking but he didn't have a demon because the Bible tells us that he was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Of course Jesus ate and drank with sinners and publicans but the Bible doesn't tell us explicitly whether he was a drunkard or not.

If the Bible doesn't state that Jesus was a drunkard and we know that drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of God, as Christians we should be satisfied that Jesus was not a drunkard and leave this debate to unbelievers.

However if your intention to ask was to learn, then I don't know why you had to pull out scriptures from different translations but from the same verse. This is not how we study the Bible.

If you can post other verses that show that Jesus could have been a drunkard, then please do. Otherwise as a Christian we should be satisfied that the Lamb of God was blameless and unreprovable.

(1) (Reply)

Atheism / Is The Black Church All About Titles And Positions? / Amazing Nonsense In Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.