Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,003 members, 7,814,418 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel (1322 Views)

Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? / Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel. / Please Rate This: My First Data Visualization Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 12:59am On Jul 12, 2022
For the past few weeks I have been visualizing my data using Python and Power BI coz that has been the requirements from most client. I had forgotten you could also visualize your data using Microsoft Excel cheesy.

So today I got on Kaggle, got some sample data and worked on it.

This is a flight dataset set that shows the flight, source city, departure etc..... of each Airline.

The purpose of this analysis is to know the Airline(s) and cities that are dominating the aviation industry in India and how much revenue is been created from this airlines and cities.

So Here We Go.... grin

1) The Flight Dataset

Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 1:03am On Jul 12, 2022
2) The complete Dashboard without any Filters (i.e. using the slicer)

Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 1:15am On Jul 12, 2022
3) From this dashboard I was able to filter the data to show me the airline and flights that left early in the morning and arrive arrive early in the morning. This also shows the source cities and destination cities of flights that left early in the morning and arrive early in the morning. You also see the price made from this kind of flight, and also the number of hours spent on air.

Note: I also modified the slicer to make it more explanatory and attractive
* clicking on a selected item with data shows an Ash color
* the unselected item with data shows Blue.
* and finally the unselected item with no data shows Yellow.

Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 1:19am On Jul 12, 2022
4) This is just like the dashboard above but with a different selection. This time I filtered the data to show me the airline and flights that left in the morning and arrived at night.

Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 1:23am On Jul 12, 2022
5) Using the STOPS slicer this dashboard shows the airline, number of flights, cities, hours and price of flights that made two or more stops before getting to their final destination.

Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 1:30am On Jul 12, 2022
6) And the just like the one above, I was also able to get the airline, number of flights, hours and price of flights that made Zero stops using the STOPS slicer.

Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 1:34am On Jul 12, 2022
This is where I press the stop button embarassed There were more results I got from analyzing this dashboard but I can't share them all. I think the ones above are enough smiley

Thank you for your time. Peace.

#dataanalytics
#dataanalyst
#datavisualization
Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by NotBeenPaid: 2:42am On Jul 12, 2022

Well done.
Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by matrixme(m): 3:10am On Jul 12, 2022
Good efforts. Any tutorials Available?
Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by fnep2smooth(m): 6:27am On Jul 12, 2022
nice one
tell our youth that there is light in the tech world and the future is bright for Nigerian youth.

I build and teach websites.
Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by Sageez(m): 10:09am On Jul 12, 2022
jamerflepz:
2) The complete Dashboard without any Filters (i.e. using the slicer)

Sir,

For the first dashboard, a histogram or bar chart would have been better.
Line charts are used for showing trend, but for categorical variables, histogram is usually the best.

Please correct me if I am wrong cuz I am also here to learn

2 Likes

Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by Sageez(m): 10:19am On Jul 12, 2022
I have finally gone through all your chart but sorry, I am not impressed.
I am not saying this to hurt you but to make you work more and harder.
Please study graphs and chart and understand the reason to use them.

Let's take bitcoin for instance, the trend changes almost every minute, the best chart to display this will be line chart.
But let's say we want to know the performance of boys against girls in a particular subject, the best for this should be a histogram or bar chart.

I like your courage. We won't stop learning till we blow.
Sorry if you fined my first sentence offending.

1 Like

Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 10:43am On Jul 12, 2022
Sageez:

Sir,

For the first dashboard, a histogram or bar chart would have been better.
Line charts are used for showing trend, but for categorical variables, histogram is usually the best.

Please correct me if I am wrong cuz I am also here to learn

Yes, you are absolutely correct. There are rules to data visualisation. Every chart has its purpose and must be used the right way. But on this dashboard, the emphasis was on the data label below the chart and not the chart itself. When creating this dashboard I'd imagine the stakeholder or client asking for a more labeled dashboard and Based on personal experience I have worked with clients who are only interested in labels not the chart itself. And that is why I opted to using Scatterplot on all boards and focus more on giving a well detailed label.

1 Like

Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 10:46am On Jul 12, 2022
Sageez:
I have finally gone through all your chart but sorry, I am not impressed.
I am not saying this to hurt you but to make you work more and harder.
Please study graphs and chart and understand the reason to use them.

Let's take bitcoin for instance, the trend changes almost every minute, the best chart to display this will be line chart.
But let's say we want to know the performance of boys against girls in a particular subject, the best for this should be a histogram or bar chart.

I like your courage. We won't stop learning till we blow.
Sorry if you fined my first sentence offending.

Lol. Not at all. We are all here to learn. Thanks for your input.
Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 10:51am On Jul 12, 2022
NotBeenPaid:

Well done.
Thank you.
Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by Sageez(m): 11:12am On Jul 12, 2022
jamerflepz:

Lol. Not at all. We are all here to learn. Thanks for your input.
Aside Excel, which other software are you good at?

For me, Excel, sql, python and R, but I still feel I am not ready yet. I want to get myself grounded then intern or volunteer for any firm before applying for jobs
Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 11:21am On Jul 12, 2022
Sageez:

Aside Excel, which other software are you good at?

For me, Excel, sql, python and R, but I still feel I am not ready yet. I want to get myself grounded then intern or volunteer for any firm before applying for jobs
Excel and sql is where my strengths are. Python and Power BI; i'm goood but not like the former.

You should volunteer. No one is ever ready. You just have start and keep learning on the job.
Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by Sageez(m): 11:22am On Jul 12, 2022
jamerflepz:

Excel and sql is where my strengths are. Python and Power BI; i'm goood but not like the former.

You should volunteer. No one is ever ready. You just have start and keep learning on the job.

Any idea where I can volunteer?
Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 11:46am On Jul 12, 2022
Sageez:

Any idea where I can volunteer?
No man. You should try freelancing on upwork. The more offers you get, the more skills you learn, which should get you ready for a job.

1 Like

Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by Keskyramirez: 1:58am On Jul 13, 2022
How do I learn data visualization and what basic skill is required to learn it
Re: Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel by jamerflepz(m): 11:02am On Jul 13, 2022
Keskyramirez:
How do I learn data visualization and what basic skill is required to learn it
YouTube, medium and Ebooks Bro. Lots of good stuff there. That is where I learnt mine before advancing to online courses (mostly for the certifications). Just type Data visualization and the lessons that you need shall be added unto you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is It Possible To Create An "adult Content Filter" In Php? / What Are The Candidate Keys? / Makinde Adeagbo, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey Etc In Short Film

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.