Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? (7952 Views)

She Came To Do Her Assignment And You Met Her Like This / Do NOT Marry Someone Until You Can Honestly Answer These 20 Questions: / Can You Marry Someone From Another Cultural Back Ground?and Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 28, 2011
claremont:

I believe my initial reference on this issue is from a research by the University of Arkansas which investigated online dating. The research is peer-reviewed and has been published in reputable journals; if I can't swallow "hook, line and sinker" a scientific research, is it an opinion by a nairalander I should swallow?
How can you ask this question?! shocked shocked shocked
Choose to swallow whatever you want! But the way you are always carrying a big WHIP waiting for someone to say "LOVE" is what really really ticks me OFF! undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by jaybee3(m): 1:48pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mallow:

why do you say so?
u on a whining bender or what?
angry angry angry angry
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 28, 2011
claremont:

I believe my initial reference on this issue is from a research by the University of Arkansas which investigated online dating. The research is peer-reviewed and has been published in reputable journals; if I can't swallow "hook, line and sinker" a scientific research, is it an opinion by a nairalander I should swallow?
How can you ask this question?! shocked shocked shocked
So in your OWN OPINION, NAIRALANDERS are NOBODY(S), RIGHT? undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by claremont(m): 1:50pm On Jul 28, 2011
sexkillz:

So in your OWN OPINION, NAIRALANDERS are NOBODY(S), RIGHT? undecided
Please don't derail this argument which has been looking promising so far, allow me to vibrate on this issue abeg grin grin.
P.S: I am always ready to "attack" any contrary unproven argument cheesy grin
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by MrsChima(f): 1:54pm On Jul 28, 2011
sexkillz:

I am in support of this bolded statement! But i must be quick to add that the poster NEVER mentioned a day or few weeks! undecided

Be quick to read properly. I was talking to JAYBEE. OP isn't the only one typing on this thread.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Mallow: 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2011
Getting to know someone offline and online is almost the same process,just as you meet someone in 'just one day' and get to know them gradually,is almost the same process in meeting someone online.Online is different because you get to communicate via the internet,mostly,while with offline,you get to meet up with them on some instances,one can also exchange numbers offline and online.It all depends really.But i still do not see a big difference there.my opinion.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 28, 2011
BWT Mr/Mrs C meet online
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by jaybee3(m): 2:03pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mallow:

Getting to know someone offline and online is almost the same process,just as you meet someone in 'just one day' and get to know them gradually,is almost the same process in meeting someone online.Online is different because you get to communicate via the internet,mostly,while with offline,you get to meet up with them on some instances,one can also exchange numbers offline and online.It all depends really.But i still do not see a big difference there.my opinion.

What's the difference between Virtual and Real world
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by MrsChima(f): 2:04pm On Jul 28, 2011
REALITY101:

BWT Mr/Mrs C meet online

You wish WE DID.

You met your baby momma online.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by claremont(m): 2:06pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mallow:

What is the difference between playing war games on television, and fighting in a real war
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Mallow: 2:06pm On Jul 28, 2011
jay bee:

What's the difference between Virtual and Real world

It goes from stage to stage,one transcends from virtual world to real world.That is why you meet someone online,get to know few stuffs about them,and arrange to meet up with them.my opinion.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Mallow: 2:07pm On Jul 28, 2011
claremont:

What is the difference between playing war games on television, and fighting in a real war

Bruv that is my opinion,you got yours,so stick to it,
no need arguing.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by jaybee3(m): 2:08pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mallow:

It goes from stage to stage,one transcends from virtual world to real world.That is why you meet someone online,get to know few stuffs about them,and arrange to meet up with them.my opinion.

So is it wrong to meet someone online knowing fully well you had still get the chance to complete the process as you've explained in your post.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Mallow: 2:12pm On Jul 28, 2011
jay bee:

So is it wrong to meet someone online knowing fully well you had still get the chance to complete the process as you've explained in your post.

It is neither wrong nor right,so as it is with meeting someone offline,at the end of the day,if the chemistry is not there,the parties involved would go their separate ways,so i do not understand this fuss about nothing.my opinion.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by MrsChima(f): 2:14pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mallow

Not everybody wants to meet someone ONLINE and if that is what you wants to do, DO IT.  

There is not need in justifying your reasons to.  

Jaybee

Why do people assumed because they met someone online that EVERYBODY ELSE met someone online?   undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by jaybee3(m): 2:16pm On Jul 28, 2011
They probably thought the world is just black or white
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by MrsChima(f): 2:19pm On Jul 28, 2011
Hmm.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Mallow: 2:23pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

Mallow

Not everybody wants to meet someone ONLINE and if that is what you wants to do, DO IT.  

There is not need in justifying your reasons to.  

Jaybee

Why do people assumed because they met someone online that EVERYBODY ELSE met someone online?   undecided

Read my post from the beginning to the end,and when you get to the end,what does it says? MY OPINION. so let it be.
MY OPINION ,still stands,take it or leave it.You got yours too,please yourselves

@post, i do not see anything wrong in meeting someone online,my advise is to follow your heart to do what is right for you.
thank you.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by MrsChima(f): 2:26pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mallow:

Read my post from the beginning to the end,and when you get to the end,what does it says? MY OPINION. so let it be.
MY OPINION ,still stands,take it or leave it.You got yours too,please yourselves

@post, i do not see anything wrong in meeting someone online,my advise is to follow your heart to do what is right for you.
thank you.

You need HOOK ON PHONICS.  I said THERE IS NO REASON TO JUSTIFY what YOU WANTS TO DO.  There is nothing STATED THAT YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE YOUR OPINIONS. 

You don't have to get defensive.  It is not that serious. 

Expressing opinion is one thing BUT TELLING OTHERS that they shouldn't see a problem in it is TOTALLY DIFFERENT THING.   

My statement still stands as well. YOU TAKE THAT OR leave it.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by claremont(m): 2:27pm On Jul 28, 2011
Anyone who believes that his/her heart is leading him/her to an online relationship should slap him/her self away from dreaming. It's like continuing to believe that the earth is flat, when the overwhelming scientific facts point otherwise!
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by MrsChima(f): 2:29pm On Jul 28, 2011
Before ANYBODY go searching for love ONLINE OR OFFLINE NEEDS to EDUCATE themselves first.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 28, 2011
claremont:

Anyone who believes that his/her heart is leading him/her to an online relationship should slap him/her self away from dreaming. It's like continuing to believe that the earth is flat, when the overwhelming scientific facts point otherwise!
Says Who? You? So what do you say to those that met online, and are happily married today? Do you meet someone online today an marry them tomorrow? undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by livedit(f): 4:08pm On Jul 28, 2011
Livedit met her (now) husband online and very happily married.  We've known it each now going on 2 years.  We married a little over a year later after courtship/meeting.  He is the same today as he was when I met him.  Sure, my family AND his family was against us.  Even laughed and made jokes saying it wasn't going to work out and the normail stereotyping and closemindness I'm hearing today.  Now my honey and I have the last laughed.  Both sides adore us.

I also have friends who met online. Now happily married with families going strong.

It just amazes me how many people are so closed minded.  Still living in this box of the way they think things should be.  Not all online relationships work just like not all "real life" relationships work out.  People can be a fraud on and offline.  The point is, regardless of the original meet rather on or offline, you DO need to meet again and again etc. to get to know each other.

I met my ex-boyfriend in person.  And Lord forgive me, I swear he was the bottom of the barrow.  He was a fraud, liar, cheater, deceiver, user, loser and a scammer. 

Regardless on how a couple meet, rather online or offline, you need to take the time to get to know each other.  Sure, online you can meet alot of criminals/scammers, but is it just limited there?  Just like in "real life" you have to be careful whom you hook up with.  You can STILL pretend to be someone you're not. 

So according to some people, all failed relationships failed because they must've ALL met online.  Wow!!
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 28, 2011
^^^^ There's a certain LOVE ATHEIST that should read that comment! undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by ikoha: 4:40pm On Jul 28, 2011
livedit:

Livedit met her (now) husband online and very happily married. We've known it each now going on 2 years. We married a little over a year later after courtship/meeting. He is the same today as he was when I met him. Sure, my family AND his family was against us. Even laughed and made jokes saying it wasn't going to work out and the normail stereotyping and closemindness I'm hearing today. Now my honey and I have the last laughed. Both sides adore us.

I also have friends who met online. Now happily married with families going strong.

It just amazes me how many people are so closed minded. Still living in this box of the way they think things should be. Not all online relationships work just like not all "real life" relationships work out. People can be a fraud on and offline. The point is, regardless of the original meet rather on or offline, you DO need to meet again and again etc. to get to know each other.

I met my ex-boyfriend in person. And Lord forgive me, I swear he was the bottom of the barrow. He was a fraud, liar, cheater, deceiver, user, loser and a scammer.

Regardless on how a couple meet, rather online or offline, you need to take the time to get to know each other. Sure, online you can meet alot of criminals/scammers, but is it just limited there? Just like in "real life" you have to be careful whom you hook up with. You can STILL pretend to be someone you're not.

So according to some people, all failed relationships failed because they must've ALL met online. Wow!!

thank you aunty livedit. with that your comment and as a living witness to the matter at hand, which is what am looking for, i am now 101% behind my very good friend.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Phate07(m): 4:49pm On Jul 28, 2011

To your tents o Isreal. To each his or her opinion. Fact is, online relationships are known to be dangerous and almost always fail.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by obowunmi(m): 4:57pm On Jul 28, 2011
I met my girlfriend online and she's terrific.

Facebook has permitted the interaction of many people. So I don't see anything wrong with it

My male cousin also met his wife online, and they have two bouncing baby boys. Love is sweeter and stronger than all.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by obowunmi(m): 4:59pm On Jul 28, 2011
Just like in real life -- you can't go out hunting for love --- it comes to you. In person or on line, love still happens .
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by claremont(m): 5:18pm On Jul 28, 2011
Phate07:

To your tents o Isreal. To each his or her opinion. Fact is, online relationships are known to be dangerous and almost always fail.

Cheerz for the corroboration, those who have ears, let them hear!
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Sike(m): 5:39pm On Jul 28, 2011
Ofcourse! Human being are bound to know eachother somewhere. It doesnt mattar where.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mr/Mrs Chima is a good example they re still together
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by livedit(f): 6:53pm On Jul 28, 2011
Phate07:

Hi Phate07!

I'm sorry brother, I'm going to have to disagree with you. That is NOT a fact. That's an opinion/rumor. Not every relationship was destined to be put together one specific way. People can meet in the silliest or craziest ways. It don't always have to be you out at an event, work, or walking down the street or hallway and bump into someone. It's not like an old LL Cool J back in the day video when you driving past and pick a girl up standing at the bus stop licking on a lollipop.

What IS fact, if God haven't joined the two together. He won't keep together. So that goes for any way you meet someone.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Would You Do If You Woke Up With The Person Above You ? (GAME TIME) / Hips & Breast Alert! Photos Of This Actress In Tight Gown Is All You Need To See / 'no Man Can Last More Than 2 Mins With Me' — Lady Dares Men On Social Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.