Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,290 members, 7,811,867 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease (61020 Views)

Adekunle Gold: "I Am Getting Fat After Marriage" / Lady On Regina Daniels: 'Call Me Gold Digger , Na Gold I Dig Nor Be Grave' / Lizzy Gold: I Don't Wear Pants Anymore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Ebiragirl(f): 12:00am On Jul 16, 2022
My battle with sickle cell – Singer Adekunle Gold

Adekunle Kosoko, a Nigerian singer popularly known as Adekunle Gold, has revealed his struggle with sickle cell anemia.

In a bombshell newsletter to fans on Friday, the ‘Sade’ crooner wrote in detail how the disease, compounded with his parents’ dire financial status, negatively impacted his childhood.

He also narrated how he once suffered a painful crisis that made him plead to God to take his life.

The newsletter read in part, “It feels liberating to finally be able to share this part of my life with you, to finally be able to speak my truth. When I talk about how I struggled to get to where I am today, I need you to know that my struggle was real.

“I was born with sickle cell disease. It was life and death, it was physical, mental, financial, you name it and I went through it all. It was tough, painful and frustrating. I lived with a sickness no one around me understood, I lived with restrictions all my childhood.

“I wasn’t able to join some of the most minor child play and liberating activities like going out in the rain. The times when I insisted and rebelled against my parents’ orders and went out in the rain, I would end up having a crisis.”

While his parents could not afford the constant bills, he appreciated his mother for always taking him to church for prayers.

The singer also narrated one of his “most intense crisis” at the age of 20, which resulted in him praying to God for death, and later served as a turning point in his life.

“I begged God to take my life because I couldn’t understand what I did to deserve the pain my body and mind was under,” he said. “As usual, with sickle crisis after some days, the pain subsided and God asked me; ‘That end you begged me for, do you still want it?’ Of course, I said no, and that was when everything changed for me.

“That was when I realised that I had been given another opportunity to live my dreams and to show those that mocked me that sickle cell anemia was never going to end me, that it was never going to hold me back from my dreams and aspirations.”

AG Baby revealed that while he still had the symptoms once in a while, the disease had taught him resilience, discipline, and built his character as a whole.

Encouraging fans with his story, the singer admonished those dealing with sickle cell disease to ensure it did not define them.

“Don’t allow it to limit your dreams or cap your potential. Spread your wings and dream big! Hope to see you soaring the big skies,” he concluded.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/my-battle-with-sickle-cell-singer-adekunle-gold/%3famp

116 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by natnoble(m): 12:03am On Jul 16, 2022
Thank God he didn't answer that prayer. He probably made you go through that pain and survive to be a source of hope to those presently struggling with similar condition.

203 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Wealthoptulent(m): 12:41am On Jul 16, 2022
Ebiragirl:
Popular music star, Adekunle Gold, has shared his reason for asking God to take his life when he was 20.

The 35-year-old crooner made this disclosure in a lengthy letter to his fans, on Friday, July 15, where he recounted his plights after being born with Sickle Cell Anemia.

He wrote:

“I w”I was born with sickle cell disease.
It was life and death, it was physical, mental, financial, you name it and I went through it all.
It was tough, painful and frustrating.
I lived with a sickness no one around me understood,
I lived with restrictions all my childhood.... Click to read more ��
Source: https://www.abujabuzz.com.ng/why-i-asked-god-to-take-my-life-adekunle-gold/383/

To be a MAN, ain't a BOY'S PLAY.
It's now i KNOW WHY MY DAD READS A NEWS PAPER FOR 4 - 5 HOURS.... its used to WHILE AWAY TIME [BILL] ... make he close for the DAY

31 Likes

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Buharidgeneral: 5:22am On Jul 16, 2022
This is serious oo
The rich also cry

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by princepee: 7:27am On Jul 16, 2022
cool sickle cell disease? Don't wish that for an enemy.
I know someone who suffer it and it's not funny.
Thank God you pulled through my guy.
Ire oo.

11 Likes

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Fyie: 9:04am On Jul 16, 2022
Every body get their own story to tell, some no even live to tell am.

Oga u are just living your destiny.

Let God be God

105 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 16, 2022
WOW, Everyone got untold stories..Sigh undecided

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by 9jayes: 9:05am On Jul 16, 2022
Buharidgeneral:
This is serious oo

Alhamdulillah for you

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by austinceasar(m): 9:05am On Jul 16, 2022
Hmmm...deep!

I guess that was the reason for his 5-star song.

13 Likes

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Wintertime: 9:06am On Jul 16, 2022
Thank God for you

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Chuksteric(m): 9:06am On Jul 16, 2022
Every time you’ve been entertained by Adekunle Gold, he’s literally risked his life.

Put some respect on his name

73 Likes

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by pol23: 9:06am On Jul 16, 2022
Not in my wildest dream will I’ve believe AG na SS.
But some people truly don’t look like what they’ve been through.
Nothing can limit you if you’ve got your mind made up.

219 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Agricmoney(m): 9:06am On Jul 16, 2022
determination is very important in life

Anyway, Agriculture is life.

8 Likes

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 16, 2022
Brb
Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by spartanian(m): 9:07am On Jul 16, 2022
Inspiring

5 Likes

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by venabili: 9:08am On Jul 16, 2022
Thank God for your life. There should be mandatory testing before marriage. This should be added to the law. And religious entities should insist on this too especially up north.

Love got most families into this financially debilitating conundrum

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Deicide: 9:08am On Jul 16, 2022
He is probably lying

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Channah1(f): 9:09am On Jul 16, 2022
Hands guy.

So he's a sickle celler?
Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Pootle: 9:09am On Jul 16, 2022
so this guy na ss shocked meaning say em wyf na AA

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 16, 2022
Best motivation of the week o.
God be with you AG.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by oluwaseyi0: 9:09am On Jul 16, 2022
With all due respect and not trying to be insensitive, SS kids are very difficult to manage

I'll simply and firmly advise abortion if the genotype is discover in the womb

Most time those kids take away the limited resources of the family with little spared for others, talkless of the pain they go through

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Jostoman: 9:10am On Jul 16, 2022
Thank God for your life adekunle gold

1 Like

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by FuckSilly: 9:10am On Jul 16, 2022
Deicide:
He is probably lying

sad
Mu
Mu

No be everybody dey reason like you.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by Dearlord(m): 9:10am On Jul 16, 2022
Sickle cell is very bad, it is better not to be alive than to be in torture every second

11 Likes

Re: Adekunle Gold: I Was Born With Sickle Cell Disease by jamezman(m): 9:10am On Jul 16, 2022
Life will always give you a challenge or more if you can deal and conquer it that's what makes you a champion... Quitting doesn't makes life easier but further details how weak you can be. Lass last everybody go dey alright.

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fans Blast Phyno For Asking Them To Pray For Paris / Genevieve Nnaji Reacts To Busola Dakolo, Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Rape Allegation / P'Square, Timaya, Phyno & Flavour Visit & Bow To Greet King Sunny Ade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.