Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,397 members, 7,812,166 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

FG Lethargic Approach In Handling The Idling ASUU Strike: An SOS Call To Our Int - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Lethargic Approach In Handling The Idling ASUU Strike: An SOS Call To Our Int (335 Views)

200 Days Of ASUU Strike - An Analysis / ASUU STRIKE: An Appreciation Post To The NANS President / UNIMAID: New VC Increases School Fees, An SOS Call (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Lethargic Approach In Handling The Idling ASUU Strike: An SOS Call To Our Int by muta1996(m): 7:36am On Jul 16, 2022
FG lethargic approach in handling the idling ASUU strike: An SOS call to our intellectuals to find durable solutions

No doubt that ASUU demands are valid even the incumbent president has acknowledged that in the past but the pitfall is that the presidency is not working actively to end the strike which has lasted for about 5 months now even though they claim the issues are arduous and struggle is going on in the backstage to end the strike as the honorable minister of information told us a few weeks ago. I applaud all the lecturers and other university workers all over the country for always standing up for what will benefit our varsities. I hope the union and government reach an agreement ASAP to save university education from total wreckage because that is the unfortunate foretelling we can come up with from the prevailing prognostic factors at hand and also for the university to serve her main goals as it is indicated by the first chancellor of my prestigious university -----Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria that:
"The first duty of every university is the search for and the spread of knowledge and the establishment of truths... But it must also serve the need of the nation."
~Sir Ahmadu Bello.
But there are questions that I have had in mind for quite some time that begs for answers as a concerned student and patriotic citizen of our country who want university education in Nigeria to be effective to be of immense benefits to Nigeria and the whole world.

So the questions are as follows:

1. Even though our leaders have shown over and over again that they are insensitive and conscience-less; Does ASUU have any compassion for their students and ordinary Nigerians? Can the union concede/compromise to put an end to the strike for the sake of national interest? ------ might sound eerie, but is ASUU going to allow the strike to just proceed like this and allow everything to fall apart?

2. No doubt the strike is taking a big toll on us, even the lecturers (as they have not been paid their remuneration for months though they will surely get all their outstanding paychecks later) and the general public ------ the economic impact is obvious most especially for people that have their enterprises around the schools; so is there any plan by ASUU to rehabilitate the students if anything of such exist at all? For the umpteenth time the government seems not to care, so who is going to replenish back our precious resource (time) lost throughout the strike?

3. If our house roof leaks, do we just destroy everything? Because let's assume that FG decides not to heed the agreement anytime soon, are we just going to sit back and watch till this administration leaves office before the strike ends?

4. I doubt if any of the presidential candidates are keen or have any concrete blueprints to stop this peril. Ideally, I expect the APC flagbearer to show genuine concern, he should enunciate publicly and appeal actively to the current APC-led FG to put an end to the strike because it can affect the acceptance of his party in the upcoming general election.
N.B
"My concern here is not to campaign for or against anyone"

It is better to take what you can get, even if it is very little than to risk having nothing at all. Are we just going to wait and allow our tertiary education to continue to operate this pause- and play- system and allow everything to disintegrate totally?

5. My question here has been asked several times and the reply you get from our lecturers is that "do you have any recourses for the union apart from strike to get the government to do the needful because the strike is the only language they seem to discern to do the needful (But our leaders don't care from their action and inaction). To all our genii who should always be at the vanguard as highly placed fellows in the academia in executing religiously what Sir Ahmadu Bello said which our universities cannot fulfill if they remain closed.....
Re: FG Lethargic Approach In Handling The Idling ASUU Strike: An SOS Call To Our Int by muta1996(m): 8:07am On Jul 16, 2022
Can ASUU even put into reflection and reconsider vis-à-vis the challenges our great nation is facing at the moment?

My compunction now is that is ASUU implying that there are no other means that can be exercised by the union without necessary shutting down our institutions to persuade the government to yield to her ultimata?

I will be delighted to get responses to all the concerns raised here. Thank you very much.

Afolayan M.T (MBBS still in view due to ASUU strike)
Zaria, Nigeria.
Re: FG Lethargic Approach In Handling The Idling ASUU Strike: An SOS Call To Our Int by sinkhole: 9:03am On Jul 16, 2022
Still on ASUU strike and the lies from Ngige.

The gross salary of the new professor and the professor on the last step is N437,499 and N540,619 respectively. If the Briggs' renegotiation panel actually recommended a 180% increase in the salary of Professors, it means that:

For a new professor, the gross increase will be N437,499 x 1.8 = N787,498. And the new gross salary before tax and other deductions will be N437,499 + N787,498 = N1,224,997.

For a Professor at the bar, the gross increase will be N540,619 x 1.8 = N973,114. And the new gross salary before tax and other deductions will be N540,619 + N973,114 = N1,513,733.

How did Ngige get his N2m for Professors? As a science student in secondary school and a medical student at the university, I don't want to believe that his mathematics was terrible.

Meanwhile, I learned that a court has ordered FG to pay judges a minimum salary of N7m per month.

©Amoka

1 Like

Re: FG Lethargic Approach In Handling The Idling ASUU Strike: An SOS Call To Our Int by muta1996(m): 10:02pm On Jul 16, 2022
Lalasticlaca. Pls we need responses from our lecturers and well-meaning Nigerians

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need Solutions To Quantitative Reasoning Primary 6 Page 2 Of C. Example / Studying Abroad With Scholarships / A Dragon Slayer Becomes A Dragon Slayer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.