Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,004 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month (39118 Views)

University Professor Claims He Discovered Population Of Fairies And Shows His Pr / University Professor Branded A Hero For Holding Student’s Baby For Entire Class / Checkout Nigerian University Where Students Pay N25k For Lab Coat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by sukkot: 6:45pm On Jul 19, 2022
In civilized countries, the rate at which your students pass out and graduate is testament to how great and efficient you are as a lecturer and so a professor in harvard would say I AM A GREAT LECTURER BECAUSE ALL MY STUDENTS PASSED AND GRADUATED.

This is the bragging rights of any professor in civilized countries.

Meanwhile this failure of a professor in Nigeria bragging right is how many students fail his class and drop out of the department and get kicked out of the university. This is the bragging right of this failure who is too brain dead to understand that if most of your students are failing and being kicked out of the university it is a testament of how bad of a lecturer you are.

I hereby henceforth submit that all Nigerian lecturers should be put on a salary of 200 thousand a month because that is what they deserve. They dont deserve more than that until they can make sure that all their students graduate and know what they are doing after they graduate.

426 Likes 40 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by 3LACK: 7:13pm On Jul 19, 2022
Most awful things lecturers do are out of frustration due to the reasons their on strike now...I mean some of them receive half of even quarter of their salaries due to that corrupt payroll system used by the AGFs to launder money from the FG...

There's always gonna be a problem in a system where illetrates just get political seats most through bleeped up means and take home millions monthly with several unnecessary allowances including common councillors.... While educationists at all level from primary to tertiary are taking home peanuts, for what now? I don't see a reason why a professor shouldn't be getting the same salary as a judge or a medical consultant.

Even at that teacher's rewards are still in heaven

69 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by FatherBona: 7:19pm On Jul 19, 2022
grin grin Buy this OP a plate of Nkwobi

241 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Jay5mie: 7:28pm On Jul 19, 2022
All they do is teach outdated syllables. Copy and paste merchants.

316 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by tarantino1: 8:05pm On Jul 19, 2022
I agree with you. Most of them are idiotic, frustrated, empty-headed sadistic fools that only see pleasure in frustrating their students.

After displaying their uselessness for all to see, they then turn around to beg FG to increase their pay. grin

I only take pity on the good ones but they're so few to the point that they don't even count. And at the end of the day, one good to you might be a complete asshole to another for no just cause.

125 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Nosayer: 8:25pm On Jul 19, 2022
If education didn't fail this op, he would have realized that lecturers are not always the same.

That you had sadistic lecturers who failed you severally does not mean every lecturer is the same way.

Most of my own lecturers are great people and I remember having an A in 6 of the 7 courses of a certain lecturer in a first generation federal Uni o.

If the op becomes a president, he would be worse than Buhari because according to him, Nigerian lecturers are not good. May we not have someone with his kind of mindset becoming our president.

260 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Nosayer: 8:26pm On Jul 19, 2022
tarantino1:
I agree with you. Most of them are idiotic, frustrated, empty-headed sadistic fools that only see pleasure in frustrating their students.

After displaying their uselessness for all to see, they then turn around to beg FG to increase their pay. grin

I only take pity on the good ones but they're so few to the point that they don't even count. And at the end of the day, one good to you might be a complete asshole to another for no just cause.

And the way to correct empty headed ones is to pay them maximum of 200k.

What kind of professors do you think 200k will employ in Nigeria again? Kindergarten teachers right?

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by siofra(f): 8:50pm On Jul 19, 2022
Nosayer:
If education didn't fail this op, he would have realized that lecturers are not always the same.

That you had sadistic lecturers who failed you severally does not mean every lecturer is the same way.

Most of my own lecturers are great people and I remember having an A in 6 of the 7 courses of a certain lecturer in a first generation federal Uni o.

If the op becomes a president, he would be worse than Buhari because according to him, Nigerian lecturers are not good. May we not have someone with his kind of mindset becoming our president.

AMEN!!

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Mercury12(m): 8:53pm On Jul 19, 2022
With the exemption of few. Many of these so called lecturers are just sadist. They got A1 in fustruationology undecided

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 19, 2022
Jay5mie:
All they do is teach outdated syllables. Copy and paste merchants

Exactly! And also coerce their female students to give them doggy in their offices.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by OperationalVehi: 10:05pm On Jul 19, 2022
Zoharariel:

Exactly! And also coerce their female students to give them doggy in their offices.

Who do we blame

2 Likes

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by tarantino1: 10:32pm On Jul 19, 2022
Nosayer:

And the way to correct empty headed ones is to pay them maximum of 200k.

What kind of professors do you think 200k will employ in Nigeria again? Kindergarten teachers right?

200k a month is even too good for the empty-headed idiots.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by coputa(m): 10:44pm On Jul 19, 2022
Zoharariel:

And graduate with (STDs)sexually transmitted degrees.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by PumpumPrince: 11:23pm On Jul 19, 2022
siofra:

AMEN!!

Siofra i apologice i beg....i neeed to enter i beg...can u pop to mine? I beg? smiley

1 Like

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by YourFavorite21(m): 1:34am On Jul 20, 2022
Nigerian University lecturers are useless, all of them.
Today I Worth much more than them, very useless people.

14 Likes

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by haybhi1(m): 2:18am On Jul 20, 2022
You people just throw baseless opinions around simply for the sake that everyone is entitled to one. Whereas, in actuality, you don't have always to type or talk.

Don't make it look like Nigerian lecturers don't give students A in your department, when they put in efforts deserving of it.

Don't make it look like all students or you did well enough to warrant A's or B's yet were denied because lecturer hates you all.

If a lecturer marks you down, follow the guideline, call the appropriate attention and get rewarded with money and meritocracy.

Don't come here to kvetch spitefully about your lecturers while you actually run around them in reality begging for marks because you failed to work hard enough to attain exam success.

Some of these lecturers left their lecturing jobs overseas to come contribute back home, while lots are being fetched off for your country's ineptitude.

If it irks you so much, go through all it takes to become a lecturer, get employed as one in a federal school, and start dishing 'A's' and 'B's' for every Shade's and Emeka's, for the virtue of simply being a student. As if it's not the same 'worthy education, institution, and lecturer relationship' standard that births and drives first and second countries' development dynamism.

Gobbledygook!

Probably a plebeian who knows nothing abouth shaping lives and what core academic successes are for failure of trying, and finding his/her tutors to dump the responsibility of the failure on.

Post-submission 1

salesbloo:

If a lecturer marks you down, follow the guideline, call relevant attention and get rewarded with money and meritocracy

I don't understand this?

Last year, before the strike, a lecturer in my school, Unilorin, motioned that if your pleasure contrasts the result of an exam; go to your LA, then your HOD, who then strings your meeting with the exam lecturer. They unravel your script, in line with the marking scheme he used for other students that offered the said exam. Still uncomfortable? It gets to the senates level, then the script to another public university's lecturer for remarking or evaluation of the mark. If found the lecturer actually marks you down at this point, you'll be rewarded, financially too, and the lecturer gets punished. Little did you know you usually have rights as much as they, too, do.

Post-submission 2

Osibajo2023:
most of the lecturers are sadist, typical nigerians, once they have little authority, dey tend to use overly

Well, I don't really know your experience enough to assume your perspective.

This is because in my school, in my department and arm of the school, they lecturers are cordial enough.
Professor Olatunji once told us "look, I'm being paid to teach you, so you don't need to even clap for me after a lecture, nor greet me when you see me elsewhere". "I know this course is burdensome enough for you guys, yet the time is ethereal - I lecture you for 2 hours on a topic, you have at least 60 more other topics to share with other lecturers, and to prepare for. Yet you must answer questions on them all in <2 hours - in light of this, I mark your scripts in a position of a student, if I do in that of a professor, chances are you all will fail".

Dr AbduRaheem: We all call her Mama, you can imagine the degree of cordiality she radiates. In fact, she can do no wrong.

Prof. Enaibe uses his funny, ingenious 'Segun and Shade' model to lecture us on fertilization/infertility. Sometimes, at noon/evening, in class, he wiggles or jokes to capture our attention if he has to - he believes we might already be tired.

Or Dr Alabi... Oh, God bless his wonderful soul.
And so on. In fact, never has any lecturer forced any book or material on us. Just make sure your theory answer is outlined and CC is added, and you're right with values and your content.

The only thing I notice is they don't cut back on integrity. You are unlikely to get an unwarranted mark. Someone was dropped off for scoring 49.2 when he needed 50, despite his connection. A female lecturer cried for a guy who was caught with jottings during exam because he would be rusticated. These are because they're the standards that must be followed.

I am not standing on the position that they're all perfect and immaculate. No. But, here, they're usually within standard and exonerate cordiality. Don't mistake discipline and standard for sadism.

Also, most of these people have, at a point, been to overseas, for research, experience, and are not just some half-baked as you're quick to label.

No be all of us dey put in enough work to get the A's and B's, but all of us dey like am. E no go sweet the people wey dey score As and Bs after their effort when all us wey trade off our preparation sef dey chop As and Bs too.

Post-submission 3, and the last.
Don27tiky:
if our lecturers are good you will see it in graduates they produce. Nigeria is so backwards because university lecturers have failed. We cannot solve simple problems facing our nation yet we have professors and graduates in these fields. That’s a pointer that they don’t know what they are doing.

How about this angle? I was a secretary in a primary school prior to admission. I was surprised to find that it's the norm to reel out answers to primary 5/6 students writing common entrance. Spoilt foundation. Is that the lecturer's fault? One.

During my WAEC and GCE periods, I was always meted with a form of discrimination or the other, because I always avoided paying for expo nor special centre. They believed it was plain stupid. Lately, students have WAEC/Jamb exams tomorrow and, today, they're engaging in irrelevant, flimsy activities. Now, that educational decadency is a fault of lecturer? Two.

The influential crop of society, including kings, chiefs, politicians, famous people, university registrars and admission officials, et al grant such students' - with such feeble background academic - admission, despite the deficiency. Three.

Now you expect the lecturers to do the re-training, re-teaching, and un-learning of the students in 1-3 hours session/day and about 10 sessions/semester (or bi-posting), when re-learning is really their basic responsibility. Right?

It's the responsibility of the state to put the standards down for a good foundation. Lecturer is not supposed to start teaching you how to construct letter or good sentences, since you're not studying English language.

In most cases, our lecturers (in public universities across) are trying.
Prof BVO came back from Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts Hospital where he went to contribute his research to pain mgt. A lot like that.

The government underfunds their research and aspirations - the vital tenets for gowth of a society - and gives them poorly supervised students to manage, and you want miracles?

Furthermore, these lecturers are not given much ground in politics, the ones in politics are given a template of what they must and must not do. Much of why their impacts appear unnoticed.

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by DaInferno(m): 3:32am On Jul 20, 2022
Nosayer:

did a five year course...I can count the good lecturers in one hand. Omo, they were not just good to write home about!
In my first year, no matter how you wrote in the exams, one oga will still fail you because you didn't buy his authored book.
My 2nd year, one lecturer would give an open test which could be seen on the net and pdfs. Oga will still fail everybody unless yall drop something!
3rd year. Practicals where easy and numbers where always true. The pattern was accepted everywhere. they never gave any of us A in our practicals till I raised the issue
4th year: one lecturer came to the hall, lectured only like 3 pages, only for oga to drop spaceship exam questions. See as everybody the hiss for hall.
Final year: I see shege for supervisor hand: he had this preconceived conclusion that I was unserious. Oga came to school only twice a week, and only when he felt like. Hated calls. I had to go to his house to submit work for cross examinations and stuffs.
Just to mention afew!

Forget o, on average; lecturers are something else.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by fernandoc(m): 3:34am On Jul 20, 2022
haybhi1:
You people just throw baseless opinions around sinply for the sake that everyone is entitled to one. Whereas, in actuality, you don't have always to type or talk.

Don't make it look like Nigerian lecturers don't give students A in your department, when they put in efforts deserving of it.

Don't make it look like all students or you did well enough to warrant A's or B's yet you were denied because lecturer hates you all.

If a lecturer marks you down, follow the guideline, call relevant attention and get rewarded with money and meritocracy.

Don't come here to kvetch spitefully about your lecturers while you actually run around them in reality begging for marks because you failed to work hard enough to attain exam success.

Some of these lecturers left their lecturing jobs overseas to come contribute back home, while are lot are being fetched off for your country's ineptitude.

If it irks you so much, go through all it takes to become a lecturer, get employed as one in a federal school, and start dishing 'A's' and 'B's' for every Shade and Emeka, for the virtue of simply being a student. As if it's not the same 'worthy education, institution, and lecturer relationship' standard that births and drives first and second countries development dynamism.

Gobbledygook!

Probably a plebeian who knows nothing abouth shaping lives and what core academic successes are for failure of trying, and finding his/her tutors to dump the responsibility of the failure on.

And to think the nonentity even used Havard as an example. Has he even thought about the work ethics of an Ivy league student? He thinks its by wearing sagged trousers and chasing after girls all semester then coming back and expecting his professor to reward him with an A.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by BBBricks: 4:19am On Jul 20, 2022
Before they started maltreating students something must have happened to them
This issue now is like a coin, you can't get the picture without viewing both sides
The lecturers sides too will have to be heard
Before they started getting to be frustrated on the job, alot of water must have flown beneath the bridge

Before some group of people (ASUU) grounded the country education sector and fg is hypnotized

Something must have happened

To cut a tree, stop cutting it's shoot, dig it's root

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Nozino: 4:32am On Jul 20, 2022
sukkot:
in civilized countries the rate at which your students pass out and graduate is testament to how great and efficient you are as a lecturer and so a professor in harvard would say I AM A GREAT LECTURER BECAUSE ALL MY STUDENTS PASSED AND GRADUATED. this is the bragging rights of any professor in civilized countries. Meanwhile this failure of a professor in nigerias bragging right is how many students fail his class and drop out of the department and get kicked out of the university. This is the bragging right of this failure who is too brain dead to understand that if most of your students are failing and being kicked out of the university it is a testament of how bad of a lecturer you are. i hereby henceforth submit that all nigerian lecturers should be put on a salary of 200 thousand a month because that is what they deserve. they dont deserve more than that. until they can make sure that all their students graduate and know what they are doing after they graduate

Most don’t even deserve 200k. In civilized countries, Lecturers actively engage in research that will positively impact on their field of study and any other niche area such as the environment, work place, public policy etc. Here, it’s just repetition of old and outdated materials. 200k is too much abeg.

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Eddygourdo(m): 5:45am On Jul 20, 2022
sukkot:
in civilized countries the rate at which your students pass out and graduate is testament to how great and efficient you are as a lecturer and so a professor in harvard would say I AM A GREAT LECTURER BECAUSE ALL MY STUDENTS PASSED AND GRADUATED. this is the bragging rights of any professor in civilized countries. Meanwhile this failure of a professor in nigerias bragging right is how many students fail his class and drop out of the department and get kicked out of the university. This is the bragging right of this failure who is too brain dead to understand that if most of your students are failing and being kicked out of the university it is a testament of how bad of a lecturer you are. i hereby henceforth submit that all nigerian lecturers should be put on a salary of 200 thousand a month because that is what they deserve. they dont deserve more than that. until they can make sure that all their students graduate and know what they are doing after they graduate
so when a student submits an empty script with only his name written ,he should also pass. You aren't thinking well sir

8 Likes

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by emorse(m): 6:21am On Jul 20, 2022
[center]WORDS ON MARBLE FROM SOME OF MY NIGERIAN LECTURERS[/center]
1. "If I teach you and you understand, it means I've not done anything!"(followed by Patience Ozokwor kind of laughter)

2. "I pity those who are spending money on you because you can never amount to anything in this life"(when a student adjusted his seat during class)

3. "I'm an old war horse! There's nothing anyone can do to me in this school. So if you like, go and report at the senate".

4. "You say you don't have money? You're not serious. Don't you know what your mates are doing for money? The boys among you should go and do Yahoo and the girls should stop f**king small small boys. Look for real men who can take care of you".

5. "I won't beg you to buy my book but when next I come to this class, I'll be reading it like newspaper"(in a 200L mathematics class)

6. "For those of you who thought I'd retire this year, I have bad news for you. I have five more years to frustrate your lives. You'll continue to see my ugly face"(when GEJ added 5 years to their retirement age)

In summary that's most of the knowledge acquired after spending 5 years in the university. Whatever is keeping us afloat now was learnt outside. Sad.

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by AgentGoat: 6:57am On Jul 20, 2022
sukkot:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Tomilola360: 7:37am On Jul 20, 2022
Thank God someone thinks just the same. Professors my foot. Na just title, majority of them dont have any impact on the life of their students.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Trilz(m): 8:21am On Jul 20, 2022
Most of them don't lecture at all,
In my ND 2, my ICT lecturer only came to lecture us twice and that was all for that semester. During exam time he gave us questions he never taught.

7 Likes

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Trilz(m): 8:21am On Jul 20, 2022
Hello fine people
If you need a Data entry specialist for your business

I'm here to work remotely for you
You can PM me so we can discuss your project in more detail and identify how my skill set will work best for you.

Best Regards.
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by ken6488(m): 8:32am On Jul 20, 2022
Very good

You can just be frustrating students
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by ben4ever(m): 8:43am On Jul 20, 2022
I propose a competency test for all types of teachers especially the university tutors.... the type that axed the Kaduna NUT chairman.... put competent ones and pay them well...

7 Likes

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by ayo2008: 8:48am On Jul 20, 2022
But a senator that say the hi and nay have it at the hallowed chambers deserves over 30 million as salaries?

Funny dude

10 Likes

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by ayo2008: 8:52am On Jul 20, 2022
ben4ever:
I propose a competency test for all types of teachers especially the university tutors.... the type that axed the Kaduna NUT chairman.... put competent ones and pay to them well...

Who told they are not competent?
The country pays a senator to the tune of over 3o million with no competent test done and you expect a professor that earns less than 1,000 dollars to go thru competent test? Is that fair if I should ask you?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by ayo2008: 8:54am On Jul 20, 2022
Trilz:
Most of them don't lecture at all,
In my ND 2, my ICT lecturer only came to lecture us twice and that was all for that semester. During exam time he gave us questions he never taught.

Don't use your ICT lecturer to generalise that lecturers are lazy

We have good and competent lecturers

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by ayo2008: 8:55am On Jul 20, 2022
Tomilola360:
Thank God someone thinks just the same. Professors my foot. Na just title, majority of them dont have any impact on the life of their students.

How many impact does the senator has that he is earning over 30 million?

You talk out of frustration. Using majority is not acceptable.

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Yabatech Hnd(full & Part-time) & Nd(part-time) Admission For 2012/2013 / FEC Approves 9 New Private Universities, 4 In Ogun State. / Nigerian Man Graduates From A US University With 2 Degrees In 4 Years. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.