Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,427 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month (39160 Views)

University Professor Claims He Discovered Population Of Fairies And Shows His Pr / University Professor Branded A Hero For Holding Student’s Baby For Entire Class / Checkout Nigerian University Where Students Pay N25k For Lab Coat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Antyxx: 11:03am On Jul 22, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

Malice is everywhere. But don't make it seem like it is entrenched in our body of lecturers.

It is not as bad as you people are making it.

As for the part in bold,

First of all, you need to make the effort to understand the routine of a lecturer. Some lecturers like "give it back to me exactly as I gave you", some like you to be more expressive. This is where it pays to attend tutorials, and ask questions from your seniors.

Second, put in attendance. Most universities (around the world) demand at least 70% attendance.

During exams, read instructions properly before attempting questions. Some papers have questions that are compulsory, and then the choices. If you don't read the instructions, you may fail to answer the compulsory question, and that is a loss of a lot of potential marks because the compulsory question always carries a lot of marks.

Lastly, some students don't know how to answer questions. Either, they answer out of context, make too many unnecessary detours, or try to be smart by half.

I have taken tutorial classes, and I know this very well. In fact, there was a time I had to publish a tutorial pamphlet to instruct students on how to attempt questions.

I studied mathematics, and there were papers during which students were to think, and not merely calculate. And someone will know that this is more of problem-solving using logic, but then they would turn the question around in such a way that they see a need to calculate. Nothing annoys some lecturer as much as that. It not only wastes your own time trying to outsmart a lecturer, it also makes a bad impression on the lecturer who may decide not to waste any more time on your other attempts.

You just wrote trash
And your type of people are the problem the world has, brilliant but unwise and dumb. In your low thinking brain, students are to turn to psychologists and start learning who their levturers are
May I ask you a question, is it the students that are being payed or the lecturers? Dumb man, it is the lecturers that are to study their students, get to know how best they learn, best methods to teach, and help them pass excellently.
And also, it is the job of the lecturers to make the students understand their exam questions, and how best they can answer it. The levturer should tell the students how to answer their questions, etc. And lastly, most schools here do open exams and test, where students are allowed to use textbook or whatever to answer questions, because answering doesnt matter, passing exams doesnt matter. What matter is the students acquiring the knowledge, understanding the subject, and be able to flourish after graduation, and do well at their jobs. Most Nigerian graduates know nothing,have zero skills because the educational system doesnt develop their skills but just made them memorize stuffs they will never use
How did i know this?
I have schooled both in Nigeria and abroad, and I also came out with firstclass, I used all the steps you mentioned, but i know its 100% wrong because unlike you, im not just brilliant but wise. I have also worked in the labour market and i have a business abroad. I doubt i can employ a Nigerian grad bcx they arent trained to bring anything to the table
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:57am On Jul 22, 2022
Antyxx:

You just wrote trash
And your type of people are the problem the world has, brilliant but unwise and dumb. In your low thinking brain, students are to turn to psychologists and start learning who their levturers are
May I ask you a question, is it the students that are being payed or the lecturers? Dumb man, it is the lecturers that are to study their students, get to know how best they learn, best methods to teach, and help them pass excellently.
And also, it is the job of the lecturers to make the students understand their exam questions, and how best they can answer it. The levturer should tell the students how to answer their questions, etc. And lastly, most schools here do open exams and test, where students are allowed to use textbook or whatever to answer questions, because answering doesnt matter, passing exams doesnt matter. What matter is the students acquiring the knowledge, understanding the subject, and be able to flourish after graduation, and do well at their jobs. Most Nigerian graduates know nothing,have zero skills because the educational system doesnt develop their skills but just made them memorize stuffs they will never use
How did i know this?
I have schooled both in Nigeria and abroad, and I also came out with firstclass, I used all the steps you mentioned, but i know its 100% wrong because unlike you, im not just brilliant but wise. I have also worked in the labour market and i have a business abroad. I doubt i can employ a Nigerian grad bcx they arent trained to bring anything to the table

The first rule of exams is to know what your audience wants. In the case of exams, your audience is your lecturer, but he is no ordinary audience. He is an audience who knows what to expect. It is your duty to know how he wants it.

It is true that a lecturer must make efforts to study his students, but that has nothing to do with exams.

If you want to submit to an essay competition, will you not study the panel of judges? Will you say because the judges are getting paid, you must not make an effort to know what they want and how they want it?

You see why people like you fail?

Because instead of making efforts to pass, you are engaging yourself with irrelevant things.
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by BluntTheApostle(m): 6:34pm On Jul 22, 2022
Jaqenhghar:

I call bullshit. First of as a student am I there to understand the subject or the lecturer? Your counterparts abroad dont do half of what you suggested and still pass. M9st students do as you have suggested and still fail yet you still think its the student's fault. Ifs easier to blame the victims in all these and look away from the actual problem but stats dont lie. If the lecturers were any good where are the nobel prizes and the international recognition? How come the public education sector has become so rotten that it is useless?

I only reacted to a blanket statement that most lecturers are malicious and fail students on purpose.

But we all know that there are unserious students.
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Jaqenhghar: 8:25pm On Jul 22, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

I only reacted to a blanket statement that most lecturers are malicious and fail students on purpose.

But we all know that there are unserious students.

They are. They are malicious and fail students on purpose. Just because you were able to conform and fit the mould they wanted doesnt negate the trauma the average Nigerian studant faces.
Go abraod and see how students party hard and do all sorts of crazy stuff. Nigerian students dont even do a quarter of what they do. No one failed them for it or called them unserious.
Continue justifying nonsense. This is why Nigeria will always remain where it is. There are always people ready to justify any kind of injustice.
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by quslit(f): 11:30am On Jul 23, 2022
No, I am not a lecturer. But I have been close to many of my lecturers when I was a student. Most of them a great people. Yes, just like other people, they have their own weaknesses and strengths. Most of the time, say 99% of the time students' results exactly represent the efforts of such students. And it is only occasionally that lecturers fail fail students.
In fact, I have heard about several instances where lecturers do everything to pass pass students when such students are supposed to fail. But these lazy lots would never talk about that. Fact is, universities are supposed to be an institution for adults who know what they want in life, and not a nursery for lazy directionless individuals. Lecturers are meant to be chaperones to guide students towards their desired path. They are not meant to be holding feeding bottles to students' mouths. Our universities have so many students who have no business being in the university in the first place. It is only in Nigerian universities that one finds students who don't like to read/study. Like, zero interest in academic activities; yet these m.oro.ns would often take upon themselves to lampoon lecturers for their performance. It is only in Nigerian universities that one sees students who spend all their time in parties, being runz girls, doing yahoo, or in fellowships, and whenever they fail, they are quick to put the blame on those lecturers. ... I have been privileged to see answer booklets for several students, and one would be shocked to know the things that students do in exams...some begging, or carefully tucking cash or lewd sex invitations there.

haybhi1:

Don't mind them Quslit. As a people and country, we're so fond of avoiding our responsibilities and hurling them at others. We like so much to play the victim.

I appreciate the love. Are you a lecturer?
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Coldfeets: 3:59pm On Jul 23, 2022
quslit:
No, I am not a lecturer. But I have been close to many of my lecturers when I was a student. Most of them a great people. Yes, just like other people, they have their own weaknesses and strengths. Most of the time, say 99% of the time students' results exactly represent the efforts of such students. And it is only occasionally that lecturers fail fail students.
In fact, I have heard about several instances where lecturers do everything to pass pass students when such students are supposed to fail. But these lazy lots would never talk about that. Fact is, universities are supposed to be an institution for adults who know what they want in life, and not a nursery for lazy directionless individuals. Lecturers are meant to be chaperones to guide students towards their desired path. They are not meant to be holding feeding bottles to students' mouths. Our universities have so many students who have no business being in the university in the first place. It is only in Nigerian universities that one finds students who don't like to read/study. Like, zero interest in academic activities; yet these m.oro.ns would often take upon themselves to lampoon lecturers for their performance. It is only in Nigerian universities that one sees students who spend all their time in parties, being runz girls, doing yahoo, or in fellowships, and whenever they fail, they are quick to put the blame on those lecturers. ... I have been privileged to see answer booklets for several students, and one would be shocked to know the things that students do in exams...some begging, or carefully tucking cash or lewd sex invitations there.

You're right.

We have so many itiboribos in schools deceiving themselves by calling themselves students.

9 out of 10 times, when a student fails, it is due to the student's fault.

When you read the poor sentence construction of some of these hopeless students, you will start to wonder how they even passed WAEC.

The only time you see their strength is when it comes to sex related matters, drug abuse, social media 24/7 and cultism.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

95% Will Pronounce This Number Wrongly.. / Philippines School Principal Shot Teacher & Husband Dead Before Killing Himself / Girl Bags 1st First-Class In Radiography At UNICAL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.