Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,024 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month (39172 Views)

University Professor Claims He Discovered Population Of Fairies And Shows His Pr / University Professor Branded A Hero For Holding Student’s Baby For Entire Class / Checkout Nigerian University Where Students Pay N25k For Lab Coat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by sukkot: 1:12pm On Jul 20, 2022
Amalekki:

grin
Nigerian system don confuse foreign trained lecturer
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy right ? hehe
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Don27tiky(m): 1:13pm On Jul 20, 2022
ayo2008:
But a senator that say the hi and nay have it at the hallowed chambers deserves over 30 million as salaries?

Funny dude
join them if you admire their package and stop spoiling the future of young Nigerians in the name of a lecturer. You graduates students half baked students that cannot contribute to the growth of our nation yet you want more for failure

3 Likes

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by staga: 1:13pm On Jul 20, 2022
sukkot:
In civilized countries, the rate at which your students pass out and graduate is testament to how great and efficient you are as a lecturer and so a professor in harvard would say I AM A GREAT LECTURER BECAUSE ALL MY STUDENTS PASSED AND GRADUATED.

This is the bragging rights of any professor in civilized countries.

Meanwhile this failure of a professor in Nigeria bragging right is how many students fail his class and drop out of the department and get kicked out of the university. This is the bragging right of this failure who is too brain dead to understand that if most of your students are failing and being kicked out of the university it is a testament of how bad of a lecturer you are.

I hereby henceforth submit that all Nigerian lecturers should be put on a salary of 200 thousand a month because that is what they deserve. They dont deserve more than that until they can make sure that all their students graduate and know what they are doing after they graduate.

Your stupidity knows no bounds.

1 Like

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Don27tiky(m): 1:21pm On Jul 20, 2022
ayo2008:

How many impact does the senator has that he is earning over 30 million?

You talk out of frustration. Using majority is not acceptable.
in developed countries all lecturers in engineering, medicine and many other fields will be sacked if those they graduates are not making any impact. But of course it is Nigeria where anything goes. So many empty heads calling themselves lecturers with no meaningful impact directly or indirectly.
If truly we have professors, electricity will be a thing of the past
People will trust Nigerian doctors and stop flying out for treatment , we will have people carrying out research and bringing forth solutions

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by helicoptarr: 1:39pm On Jul 20, 2022
sukkot:
In civilized countries, the rate at which your students pass out and graduate is testament to how great and efficient you are as a lecturer and so a professor in harvard would say I AM A GREAT LECTURER BECAUSE ALL MY STUDENTS PASSED AND GRADUATED.

Meanwhile this failure of a professor in Nigeria bragging right is how many students fail his class and drop out of the department and get kicked out of the university. This is the bragging right of this failure who is too brain dead to understand that if most of your students are failing and being kicked out of the university it is a testament of how bad of a lecturer you are.

I hereby henceforth submit that all Nigerian lecturers should be put on a salary of 200 thousand a month because that is what they deserve. They dont deserve more than that until they can make sure that all their students graduate and know what they are doing after they graduate.

The lecturers' fault in the poor outcomes of the capacity of the graduates is minimal, if any.

Blame it all on:

The Ministry of Education

Nigerian University Commission

Commissioners of Education

They are responsible for the:

Obsolete curricula: a curriculum must be functionally useful to to solve modern and future problems

Poor funding of research endeavours

Infusion of politics into academics

Misdirection of innate career paths: a student who found him/her name under a course different from his/her selected dream course usually end up in frustration

Lack of merit in selection processes for positions of authority such as the Vice Chancellors et al

Poor reward system for excellent performances

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by pacespot(m): 1:49pm On Jul 20, 2022
Exactly, if you are a true professor, your credentials will be proven by your impact in research fields and areas of expertise. I remember those years in university when aspiring professors among our lecturers are often the ones to give students assignments on advanced research topics. In essence, they are asking their students to do the research work for them in order to advance their pursuit for professorship. Many professors of statistics in Nigeria today cannot even work in a company as a digital data visualist.

Professorship is just a decorative title for many academics in Nigeria. They have nothing to show for their contribution and invention in research and academic field.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Judolisco(m): 1:52pm On Jul 20, 2022
Elsueno:

Well, dat part is also true, they freaking hate marking, they all dump it on the graduates assistants( I know cause my friend is one & he is extremely agree at dat behaviour) and true some students write shyt while others even submit empty scripts grin
I marked for my HOD when I was in final year, twas then I realised u can't even help some students, where do you want to start from? Most people don't know lecturers work with time, they have to mark, record,submit to d senate for review and if you attended a new generation university they have to upload on the portal, all within a given time frame... Abeg where d time dey to dey adjust results for students?

2 Likes

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Babastrong(m): 2:01pm On Jul 20, 2022
A

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by OvaSabi1(f): 2:02pm On Jul 20, 2022
sukkot:
but you ended up supporting everything i said. so what is your argument ? lol . you say the only reason you have a conscience is because you schooled in the UK but many of your naija colleagues do what i stated. so i fail to see your arguments cheesy

There’s no place there where I said I have a conscience just because I schooled in the uk. Olodo rabata.

1 Like

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by haybhi1(m): 2:12pm On Jul 20, 2022
quslit:
I so love you for this brilliant heart-felt piece. And for putting the senseless immature lazy student-ish in place.

Don't mind them Quslit. As a people and country, we're so fond of avoiding our responsibilities and hurling them at others. We like so much to play the victim.

I appreciate the love. Are you a lecturer?
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by BluntTheApostle(m): 2:18pm On Jul 20, 2022
Jaqenhghar:

How many of them are unserious? As a lecturer you cant tell me that you have a 60%- 80% fail rate and tell me you know what you are doing. Are you sauing all students dont qualify for admission to the university?
I have seen A students in secondary school, who scored high scores in JAMB enter uni and get frustrated because someone somewhere wants to play God.

So, are you telling me all lecturers record such failure rates?
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by BluntTheApostle(m): 2:21pm On Jul 20, 2022
sukkot:
thats not who we are addressing here. we are addressing the many lives destroyed because A is for me, B is for god, and only 20 of you can get C and the rest of you must fail my class because my testament to how great my class is is that not many can pass it. this is the mindset we are discussing, not stupid students who deserve to fail. we are discussing broken lives because of lecturers egos. some lecturers actually believe that the more students pass their courses that means their course is useless and the more students who fail that means their course is solid and world class. warped thinking but its out there

But all this "A is for me" is not common in federal universities.

Maybe state universities and polytecnics.

Because I have never heard it before, both in my undergraduate and postgraduate studies both at two different federal universities.
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Kayceenaz(m): 2:29pm On Jul 20, 2022
sukkot:

This is an essay on ignorance. Incentives and essential infrastructures precede contributions of lecturers.
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by ayo2008: 2:31pm On Jul 20, 2022
Don27tiky:
in developed countries all lecturers in engineering, medicine and many other fields will be sacked if those they graduates are not making any impact. But of course it is Nigeria where anything goes. So many empty heads calling themselves lecturers with no meaningful impact directly or indirectly.
If truly we have professors, electricity will be a thing of the past
People will trust Nigerian doctors and stop flying out for treatment , we will have people carrying out research and bringing forth solutions

Again, you talk ignorantly
You are not truthful cos electricity is on the exclusive list. If a state like Lagos generates electricity, the state will have to handle it over to the federal government. Same as natural resources cos they on the exclusive list.

As regards Health the VP, Osinbajo is being treated presently in one of the Nigeria hospitals. We have capable doctors but what has government done to help the health sector? The fault still lays with the Govt.

Gets your fact right before posting unverifiable statements.
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Jaqenhghar: 2:31pm On Jul 20, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

So, are you telling me all lecturers record such failure rates?

Yes. Most do.
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by ayo2008: 2:32pm On Jul 20, 2022
Don27tiky:
join them if you admire their package and stop spoiling the future of young Nigerians in the name of a lecturer. You graduates students half baked students that cannot contribute to the growth of our nation yet you want more for failure

The blame lies with the government
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by ayo2008: 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2022
Tomilola360:

Go and sit down. Everyone cannot use what the senators earn as justification. Rather than spew this thrash, channel your energy towards protesting senators earning.

It is a justification.

1 Like

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by ayo2008: 2:34pm On Jul 20, 2022
Dididrumz:

There's no doubt about having good lecturers.

But the reality is that the majority of them are copy and paste lecturers who derive joy in seeing their students fail their exams.

Maybe in your own department?
Dnt generalise cos there is no verifiable statistics to back that up
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by ayo2008: 2:35pm On Jul 20, 2022
CuteEmma:
He’s right that many lecturers are not competent. The thing is that the whole system is fvcked up and they transfer their frustrations on students because they can.
To be fair, the behavior of everyone is terrible, both students and lecturers, but na the lecturers own bad pass.

Government own bad pass lecturer own
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by RepoMan007: 2:36pm On Jul 20, 2022
sukkot:

I share your sentiment.
200k is actually six times the basic minimum wage and I see no reason why people should have such disparity in earning yet shoulder comparable responsibilities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by ben4ever(m): 2:48pm On Jul 20, 2022
Mrtaye:

It's only a dullard that will say this

I have witnessed competency test results and I was surprised at their results.
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Don27tiky(m): 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2022
ayo2008:

You are not truthful cos electricity is on the exclusive list. If a state like Lagos generates electricity, the state will have to handle it over to the federal government. Same as natural resources cos they on the exclusive list.

As regards Health the VP, Osinbajo is being treated presently in one of the Nigeria hospitals. We have capable doctors but what has government done to help the health sector? The fault still lays with the Govt.

we keep blaming FG but we as individuals also fail in our responsibilities. Education is key to economic growth of a nation but when those saddled with the responsibility of educating the young ones Fail in their responsibility the result is a failed society. The young learn from those educating them and improve on it. If our economy today is bad the also goes to those who groomed us. Our professors don’t deserve that title because we are not seeing it in those they claim to have trained and the society we live in
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Don27tiky(m): 3:25pm On Jul 20, 2022
ayo2008:

we keep blaming FG but we as individuals also fail in our responsibilities. Education is key to economic growth of a nation but when those saddled with the responsibility of educating the young ones Fail in their responsibility the result is a failed society. The young learn from those educating them and improve on it. If graduates today are called half baked, that shows that those teaching them are not good enough or don’t know it themselves. Our professors don’t deserve that title because we are not seeing it in those they claim to have trained and the society we live in
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Swoonz: 3:29pm On Jul 20, 2022
Jay5mie:
All they do is teach outdated syllables. Copy and paste merchants.

But if you think of it, they don't make the syllabus. National Universities Commission (NUC) does. The lecturers just teach according to what the syllabus directs them to teach the students. If the NUC doesn't review the syllabus every few years, how do you expect the lecturers to change their teaching materials?
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Trilz(m): 3:34pm On Jul 20, 2022
ayo2008:

Don't use your ICT lecturer to generalise that lecturers are lazy

We have good and competent lecturers
smiley grin
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by lincs25(m): 3:49pm On Jul 20, 2022
Funny but valid, I confront one of my lecturer during my university days. This man took a prerequisite course that half of the class failed and even those that pass, passed with E and Ds. As the class representative, I went to him and asked him how he feels when you taught a course and half of the class failed. The man was so angry with me that who I mine to come and challenge him or questioned him. This very man told me that they do teach us when we graduate and get a better job, we don't even think that they exist! Our system is too compromised.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Ogunleti01: 3:54pm On Jul 20, 2022
ambale:

You are in same class with the op now, so I blame you not.
only if you would ever achievee half of all what i have achieved in life. Graduated at the age of 19 and four months with a second class upper division in international relations from a prestigious university. Currently chilling with one of the best agencies of the federal government. U still dey roam the street up and down nah oteey, gbeez u be
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by Awesome55(m): 4:10pm On Jul 20, 2022
haybhi1:
You people just throw baseless opinions around sinply for the sake that everyone is entitled to one. Whereas, in actuality, you don't have always to type or talk.

These lecturers are not given much ground in politics, the ones in politics are given a template of what they must and not do.

Well said.

Which department boss?

1 Like

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by HeroicMeastro: 4:30pm On Jul 20, 2022
sukkot:

Oga, just go and study hard...
You can still make a fair grade.
No come tell us rubbish for here

1 Like

Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by MedicalSamwise(m): 4:37pm On Jul 20, 2022
haybhi1:
You people just throw baseless opinions around sinply for the sake that everyone is entitled to one. Whereas, in actuality, you don't have always to type or talk.

Don't make it look like Nigerian lecturers don't give students A in your department, when they put in efforts deserving of it.

Don't make it look like all students or you did well enough to warrant A's or B's yet you were denied because lecturer hates you all.

If a lecturer marks you down, follow the guideline, call relevant attention and get rewarded with money and meritocracy.

Don't come here to kvetch spitefully about your lecturers while you actually run around them in reality begging for marks because you failed to work hard enough to attain exam success.

Some of these lecturers left their lecturing jobs overseas to come contribute back home, while are lot are being fetched off for your country's ineptitude.

If it irks you so much, go through all it takes to become a lecturer, get employed as one in a federal school, and start dishing 'A's' and 'B's' for every Shade and Emeka, for the virtue of simply being a student. As if it's not the same 'worthy education, institution, and lecturer relationship' standard that births and drives first and second countries development dynamism.

Gobbledygook!

Probably a plebeian who knows nothing abouth shaping lives and what core academic successes are for failure of trying, and finding his/her tutors to dump the responsibility of the failure on.

Post-submission 1

Last year, before the strike, a lecturer in my school, Unilorin, motioned that if your pleasure contrasts the result of an exam, go to your LA, then your HOD, who then string your meeting with the exam lecturer, they unravel your script, in line with the marking scheme he used for other students that offered the said exam. Still uncomfortable? It gets to the senates level, then the script to another public university's lecturer for remarking or evaluation of the mark. If found the lecturer actually marks you down at this point, you'll be rewarded, financially too, and the lecturer gets punished. Little did you know you usually have rights as much as they, too, do.

Post-submission 2

Well, I don't really know your experience enough to assume your perspective.

This is because in my school, in my department and arm of the school, they lecturers are cordial enough.
Professor Olatunji tells us "look, I'm being paid to teach you, so you don't need to even clap for me after lecture, nor greet me when you see me elsewhere." "I know this course is burdensome enough for you guys, yet the time is ethereal - I lecture you for 2 hours on a topic, you have at least 60 more other topics to share with other lecturers, and to prepare for. Yet you must answer questions on them all in <2 hours - in light of this, I mark your scripts in a position of a student, if I do in a position of a professor, chances are you all will fail".

Dr AbduRaheem: We all call her Mama, you can imagine the degree of cordiality she radiates. In fact, she can do no wrong.

Prof. Enaibe uses his funny, ingenious Segun and Shade model to lecture us on fertilization/infertility. Sometimes, at noon/evening, in class, he wiggles or jokes to capture our attention if he has to - he believes we may be tired.

Or Dr Alabi... Oh, God bless his soul.
And so on. In fact, never has any lecturer forced any book or material on us. Just make sure your theory answer is outlined and CC is added, and you're right with values and content.

The only thing I notice is they don't cut back integrity. You are unlikely to get an unwarranted mark. Someone was dropped off for scoring 49.2 when he needed 50, despite his connection. A female lecturer cried for a guy who was caught with jottings during exam because he would be rusticated. These are because they're the standards that must be followed.

I am not standing on the position that they're all perfect and immaculate. No. But, here, they're usually within standard and exonerate cordiality. Don't mistake discipline and standard for sadism.

Also, most of these people have, at a point, been to overseas, for research, experience, and not just some half-baked as you're quick to label.

No be all of us dey put in enough work to get the A's and B's, but all of us dey like am. E no go sweet the people wey dey score As and Bs after their effort when all us wey trade off our preparation sef dey chop As and Bs too.

No be all of us dey put in enough work to get the A's and B's, but all of us dey like am. E no go sweet the people wey dey score As and Bs after their effort when all us wey trade off our preparation sef dey chop As and Bs too.

Post-submission 3, and the last.

How about this angle? I was a secretary in a primary school prior to admission. I was surprised to find that it's the norm to call out answers to primary 5/6 students writing common entrance. Spoilt foundation. Is that the lecturer's fault? One.

During my WAEC and GCE periods, I was always meted with a form of discrimination or the other, because I always avoided paying for expo nor special centre. They believed it was plain stupid. Lately, students have WAEC/Jamb exams tomorrow and, today, they're engaging in irrelevant, flimsy activities. Now, that educational decadency is a fault of lecturer? Two.

The influential crop of society, including kings, chiefs, politicians, famous people, university registrars and admission officials, et al grant such students' - with such feeble background academic - admission, despite the deficiency. Three.

Now you expect the lecturers to do the re-training, re-teaching, and un-learning of the students in 1-3 hours session/day and about 10 sessions/semester (or bi-posting), when re-learning is really their basic responsibility. Right?

It's the responsibility of the state to put the standards down for a good foundation. Lecturer is not supposed to start teaching you how to construct letter or good sentences, since you're not studying English language.

In most cases, our lecturers (in public universities across are trying).
Prof BVO came back from Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts Hospital where he went to contribute his research to pain mgt. A lot like that.

The government underfund their research and aspirations - the necessary factors for gowth of a society - and gives them poorly supervised students to manage and you want miracles?

These lecturers are not given much ground in politics, the ones in politics are given a template of what they must and not do.

Its either You're not a Nigerian or you are the son of a wealthy man
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by haybhi1(m): 5:01pm On Jul 20, 2022
MedicalSamwise:

Its either You're not a Nigerian or you are the son of a wealthy man

Lols, far from it, bro. Me wey be say na pepper my mama dey sell and my pman na semi-skill work dem take send me go school. From one neighborhood like that in Alimosho.
I just dey iron my opinion based on my experience with no lie inside, senior man.

In fact, apart from school/accommodation fees for beginning of session, I no dey get another money to ghas pay for school till the following session, baba, unless very rarely.
Re: Why A Nigerian University Professor Does Not Deserve More Than 200k A Month by haybhi1(m): 5:03pm On Jul 20, 2022
Awesome55:

Well said.

Which department boss?

Clinical Science, senior man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Girl Bags 1st First-Class In Radiography At UNICAL / Michael Okpara University Final Year Students Spray Cash After Final Paper (Pix) / Nigerian Man Graduates From A US University With 2 Degrees In 4 Years. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.