Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,909 members, 7,828,189 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

Naira To Be Re-Denominated - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira To Be Re-Denominated (26291 Views)

Poll: Do you support the redomination of the naira? Will we gain a lot from it? Is it worth the enormous cost?

Yes: it's a step forward.: 70% (187 votes)
No: what are they smoking?: 29% (78 votes)
This poll has ended

FG Approves Immediate Payment Of 413 Billion Naira To Oil Marketers / I Earned 5,000 Naira To Burn School, Says Teenage Boko Haram Recruit / Naira To Fall To N263 Per Dollar Over The Next 12 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by somze(f): 8:08pm On Aug 18, 2007
simply_me:

u have forgotten that Nigerians are nin compoops, argumentative, daft, unbeleiving and outright stupid?

In the developed countries, policies and lawas are enacted and the citizens simply obey without battling an eyelid, but in Nigeria - thats when u will see all sorts of argumnets and nonsense talks and opinions - what u call empty barells - isint it?

Saying you are unintelligent is simply a mild understatement. Which developed country are you talking of? Please just hush it if you do not know what you are talking about. I doubt if you have been in any developed country.

I dont normally come out this hard but your incautious comments have been downright innocuous not to mention belligerent and impetuous.

You and Watchung should exercise restraint in your future posts.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by kenflipper(m): 8:15pm On Aug 18, 2007
Bros & Sisters, weather u all like it or not, this is a welcome development.
To answer some of the question on naira re-domination.
1. some say there will be pricing confusion - Certainly not, if you were born before 1985 or if you started spending the the naira before 1985 u would understand that there will be no confusion. When the naira was devalued Nigerians adjusted, Nigerians are smart i tell u.
2.Exchange rate- The exchange rate is not being pegged!!! it is still dsame as while we used the old naira, it a matter of putting on a new shirt for an old one, nothing changes pls nairaland landers its simple. While there will be no added purchasing power immediately, overtime the purchasing power of the naira will improve. Did i hear you ask how?? ok, right now Nigerians are not consious of the future, we buy what we need and dont need and let tomorrow take care of its self. when u know that 625naira is 500USD i m sure u would wanna think twice before u spend. And by the time we all get consious of wht we spend and stop spending on things we can really do wit out, that will certainly bring about drastic price fall.
Those of you who live overseas understand wht i m saying, u dont buy a car cos' u re living in the UK, cos u know u dont need it and its expensive to fuel to u go on local transport, yes some would say they have a better system when it comes to transportation, but ours will only get better. We have gotten to a level in the country where things have gotten to the bottom and there is no worse it can get, rather than for things to gradually pick up.
People will return to the farms, city life wuld no longer be the in thing, for every profession, there will be value. Robbery will certain reduce!!! because if u have a small business u might wanna think twice than take the risk. Corruption wit police will reduce, will the police ask u to bribe them wit 1naira when they are so used to 20 naira?? can u bribe police 20 naira when u know its almost 16usd. Its for the better!!! I m glad nigeria is taking a new turn.
Employment opportunities wont readily change, it will be gradual but you can all help urself. Self employment will go a long way. Hair dressers, barbers, caterers will no longer have to cry over small income. if u take 10naira home a day. that day will need to be celebrated cos at the end of the month u would have 300 naira which will be good.

If you are thinking of where to invest your money before August 1 2008, i would simply advise u to go for landed properties. Property owners will have a swell time.
Also self employment is another way to go, If u have 50,000 today, the ultimate would be to go to the village and get ur own land in preparation for farming cos' farmers would no doubt have a swell time too. We are blessed wit rain in Nigeria and our land are fertile. I have lived oversea and i know wht i m talking about.
Less i forget, there will be drastic drop wit the youths queening at embassies for visa and time will be money. I am sure u wouldnt want the embassies to steal ur 100naira cos u now know the value. Day dreaming will stop and hard work will begin.

Lets clap for soludo and Y'aradua i always knew the a Northern President will be the one to deliver Nigeria, i 'm from the south south!! going by history. I m sure Obasanjo surpressed Soludo's plan.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by somze(f): 8:24pm On Aug 18, 2007
ken flipper
stop repeating your posts angry
Your issues have been dealt with earlier and you do not explain how all these advantages would happen so i chose not to reply earlier.
Please we read your post the first time.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by nateevs(m): 8:26pm On Aug 18, 2007
kenflipper:

1. some say there will be pricing confusion - Certainly not, if you were born before 1985 or if you started spending the the naira before 1985 u would understand that there will be no confusion. When the naira was devalued Nigerians adjusted, Nigerians are smart i tell u.
2.Exchange rate- The exchange rate is not being pegged!!! it is still dsame as while we used the old naira, it a matter of putting on a new shirt for an old one, nothing changes please nairaland landers its simple. While there will be no added purchasing power immediately, overtime the purchasing power of the naira will improve. Did i hear you ask how?? ok, right now Nigerians are not consious of the future, we buy what we need and don't need and let tomorrow take care of its self. when u know that 625naira is 500USD i m sure u would want to think twice before u spend. And by the time we all get consious of wht we spend and stop spending on things we can really do wit out, that will certainly bring about drastic price fall.
Those of you who live overseas understand wht i m saying, u don't buy a car because' u re living in the UK, because u know u don't need it and its expensive to fuel to u go on local transport, yes some would say they have a better system when it comes to transportation, but ours will only get better. We have gotten to a level in the country where things have gotten to the bottom and there is no worse it can get, rather than for things to gradually pick up.
People will return to the farms, city life wuld no longer be the in thing, for every profession, there will be value. Robbery will certain reduce!!! because if u have a small business u might want to think twice than take the risk. Corruption wit police will reduce, will the police ask u to bribe them wit 1naira when they are so used to 20 naira?? can u bribe police 20 naira when u know its almost 16usd. Its for the better!!! I m glad nigeria is taking a new turn.
Employment opportunities wont readily change, it will be gradual but you can all help yourself. Self employment will go a long way. Hair dressers, barbers, caterers will no longer have to cry over small income. if u take 10naira home a day. that day will need to be celebrated because at the end of the month u would have 300 naira which will be good.

If you are thinking of where to invest your money before August 1 2008, i would simply advise u to go for landed properties. Property owners will have a swell time.
Also self employment is another way to go, If u have 50,000 today, the ultimate would be to go to the village and get your own land in preparation for farming because' farmers would no doubt have a swell time too. We are blessed wit rain in Nigeria and our land are fertile. I have lived oversea and i know wht i m talking about.
Less i forget, there will be drastic drop wit the youths queening at embassies for visa and time will be money. I am sure u wouldnt want the embassies to steal your 100naira because u now know the value. Day dreaming will stop and hard work will begin.

Lets clap for soludo and Y'aradua i always knew the a Northern President will be the one to deliver Nigeria, i 'm from the south south!! going by history. I m sure Obasanjo surpressed Soludo's plan.

I don't understand how redenomination will cause all this you are talking about. 5,000naira' present worth will now be N50's future worth. Which means if you were earning N100,000 you will, by 1st august, 2008 earn N1,000 but what N1,000 will buy then is what N100,000 can by now. It doesn't make anything cheaper, more expensive or lucrative.

And for you saying there won't be pricing confusion, please tell me, by 08/2008 what will be the stock quote of a company that is 65kobo assuming the the quote stays the same between now and then.

To say that there will be pricing confusion is a massive understatement.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by McKren(m): 8:29pm On Aug 18, 2007
kenflipper:

2.Exchange rate- The exchange rate is not being pegged!!! it is still dsame as while we used the old naira, it a matter of putting on a new shirt for an old one, nothing changes please nairaland landers its simple. While there will be no added purchasing power immediately, overtime the purchasing power of the naira will improve. Did i hear you ask how?? ok, right now Nigerians are not consious of the future, we buy what we need and don't need and let tomorrow take care of its self. when u know that 625naira is 500USD i m sure u would want to think twice before u spend. And by the time we all get consious of wht we spend and stop spending on things we can really do wit out, that will certainly bring about drastic price fall.
Those of you who live overseas understand wht i m saying, u don't buy a car because' u re living in the UK, because u know u don't need it and its expensive to fuel to u go on local transport, yes some would say they have a better system when it comes to transportation, but ours will only get better. We have gotten to a level in the country where things have gotten to the bottom and there is no worse it can get, rather than for things to gradually pick up.
People will return to the farms, city life wuld no longer be the in thing, for every profession, there will be value. Robbery will certain reduce!!! because if u have a small business u might want to think twice than take the risk. Corruption wit police will reduce, will the police ask u to bribe them wit 1naira when they are so used to 20 naira?? can u bribe police 20 naira when u know its almost 16usd. Its for the better!!! I m glad nigeria is taking a new turn.
Employment opportunities wont readily change, it will be gradual but you can all help yourself. Self employment will go a long way. Hair dressers, barbers, caterers will no longer have to cry over small income. if u take 10naira home a day. that day will need to be celebrated because at the end of the month u would have 300 naira which will be good.

Also self employment is another way to go, If u have 50,000 today, the ultimate would be to go to the village and get your own land in preparation for farming because' farmers would no doubt have a swell time too. We are blessed wit rain in Nigeria and our land are fertile. I have lived oversea and i know wht i m talking about.
Less i forget, there will be drastic drop wit the youths queening at embassies for visa and time will be money. I am sure u wouldnt want the embassies to steal your 100naira because u now know the value. Day dreaming will stop and hard work will begin.

?

If this was an economics exam 0% would be injustice to the subject. I will rather give -ve10%
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by simplyme3(f): 8:33pm On Aug 18, 2007
@Somze & Nateevs

U are two stupid and ignorant non entities that I have ever been opportuned to know - u have misplaced potentials - u should both be in the bush laying eggs or eating bananas - one of the two - u are nothing but aphrodaisc gangantuan mammals.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by nateevs(m): 8:39pm On Aug 18, 2007
You stun me. How come you put such grammar together in a single post? You must be a genius.

However you still haven't answered the question about england. I'm waiting
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by debosky(m): 8:46pm On Aug 18, 2007
which kain genius?

someone just did a dictionary sale to these people at 90% off.
so the new thing in vogue now is to blow grammar, even if it is senselessly used in the end.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by somze(f): 8:49pm On Aug 18, 2007
simply_me:

@Somze & Nateevs

You are two stupid and ignorant non entities that I have ever been opportuned to know - u have misplaced potentials - u should both be in the bush laying eggs or eating bananas - one of the two - u are nothing but aphrodaisc [b]gangantuan [/b]mammals.

I have never in my life seen such incorrectness of grammar buttressed so emphatically. You really made me laugh my arse out.
Ok i'll ignore your wrong spellings. Can you tell me what aphrodisiac has to do with gargantuan mammals?
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by simplyme3(f): 8:50pm On Aug 18, 2007
@Somze

Because thats what u r. A juxtaposed and supposedly kneopmatic yob.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by nateevs(m): 8:53pm On Aug 18, 2007
Debosky,

I did not mean she is a genius. Of course it was just a sacarstic expression of what a mess she made of herself trying to impress.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by somze(f): 8:58pm On Aug 18, 2007
simply_me:

@Somze

Because thats what you're. A juxtaposed and supposedly kneopmatic yob.
Please girl, you seriously need to learn your spellings ok.
kneopmatic does not exist

and what does juxtaposed have to do with your sentence. Do you just write up any big word you have in your head?
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by Jackal(m): 9:12pm On Aug 18, 2007
@ Somze,

That was a bit HARSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let the lil' lass be.
She's just juggling words, she's a wordsmith.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by debosky(m): 9:13pm On Aug 18, 2007
It seems those dictionaries that fell off the back of a truck last week are being useful afterall

but sadly, a dictionary without a brain = senseless compositions and meaningless bollocks.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by somze(f): 9:15pm On Aug 18, 2007
jackal
Ok o, i've left her wink

Debo
Dont mind these folks jare grin
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by Iman3(m): 9:17pm On Aug 18, 2007
Make una ignore Ferlie a.k.a Simply_Me grin grin
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by nateevs(m): 9:19pm On Aug 18, 2007
abi ooo my brother.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by somze(f): 9:23pm On Aug 18, 2007
haba why do folks like using multiple ids on Nl sef. ok o

Nateevs, we need to talk about tomorrow o. wink
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by nateevs(m): 9:26pm On Aug 18, 2007
somze,

Yes ooo

Let's meet on the other end.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by somze(f): 9:34pm On Aug 18, 2007
ok
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by bimbor(m): 9:46pm On Aug 18, 2007
If you want to revamp the economy, it should be a gradual process and i dont think redenomination of the naira should be the first step. there are so many other sectors that need to be dealt with first before talking of equating the naira to the USD. They better think about the pros and cons before diving into such huge decision.We better be prepared for the consequences, the gap between U.S and Nigeria today is not 100 metres. Please, Soludo should consullt the right before embarking the nation on this trip.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by israelite(m): 9:55pm On Aug 18, 2007
this our government think we ar fools, they ar just putting the cart before the horse think of some the social amenities that ve to be in place before our naira can dine with US dollar, nitel whala, NEPA is messing up 24/7 we can not boast of good roads, poverty is still on the run what is then the enssence of that idiotic idea i dont buy into that idea so far the purshasing power of $1 will be more then 1naira. please let contiue with our current naira.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by naijaway(m): 11:07pm On Aug 18, 2007
Thank God for this competitive government. Everyone better buckle up and be part of history or u can remain where u are. Naija is becoming a disciplined and determined place now. Roads, electricity, technology and food will also be a few things that we will have as national pride. Is nothing more than a welcome development. I want to ask all those that don't like this what they have been doing since the beginning of devaluation of our money? As if is not to be oppressing others and some sort of corruption.
Since we are used to big money, we should then use that same determination to get to big money without doing unnecessary corruption. Is it not development to know that we as citizen can now testify to some major developments that our leaders are now bringing, from satelites to foundations of all kinds of power supplies to implentations internally and externally to naira denomination. I really thank God for giving Nigeria hope again andd hopefully we dont mess up this time.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by DisGuy: 12:10am On Aug 19, 2007
Interview with Soludo-Naira transition

this doesn't sound too convincing undecided

Why do some people get angry over criticism or think there is something wrong questioning 'experts'?
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by Abeem(m): 1:17am On Aug 19, 2007
Dis Guy:

Interview with Soludo-Naira transition

I believe the way we will want to do this will be to go almost like a big bang approach. It will be a big bang approach because we are not going to go with what we are having in Ghana or some others who have done it where you will have to get the old and the new notes. It is all manner of confusion, we don’t have a literate population that will get on to converting the old one and the new one and we would expect prices to adjust. It is going to be a big bang within he shortest operations. The duration of that we would have to work out with the banks and operators. We will work out the infrastructure to make sure that we have a seamless transition even within the big bang. - Thisday

The big bang theory - whatever that term means - is a recipe for confusion especially with the large size of our illiterate population. How do you convince the average Nigerians that this denomination bode well for them? It is not big grammar that we need now but a lot of education and public awareness programs to convince the skeptics among us that this policy will help to firm up the economy.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by bimbor(m): 4:23am On Aug 19, 2007
I'm sorry to sound this way but why do we always have to imitate others, remember what works for others might not work for you, i'm not saying this is a bad idea, but for pete's sake we are just not ready for it and a lot need to be tidied up before such mission can be conceived, we will display ourselves as objects of ridicule to the developed world trying to match up the naira against the dollar, when in the real sense their purchasing powers are never equivalent. A lot need to be done and please the ignorance of the populace should not be exploited anymore, this is democracy and the people have a say on issues concerning their future so the government should not think of implementing a program as this without consulting the people first.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by sultaan(m): 8:05am On Aug 19, 2007
Typical Nigerians embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by ifababa(m): 8:51am On Aug 19, 2007
I think youre all not getting what this naira re-denomination is all about, Its not enough to redenominate 1naira to $1, But will the economic value of the currencies match up with themself, ?

Now i know that soludo has been drinking too much of late or been taking another brand of beer like someone said earlier and its been affecting his financial development strategies,

Someone like me now that is so close to becoming a millionaire would have to go back again, Na waoooo
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by ernal(m): 10:17am On Aug 19, 2007
kenflipper no be today,shine your eye.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by Seun(m): 11:13am On Aug 19, 2007
In very simple terms, the public still wants to understand what will happen to their foreign exchange, networth, their wage bill, their income and whatever… in the next one year

I agree a lot. The message to get to them is that it will only get better over time. It would mean it is going to be the same parity in terms of the reform; the exchange rate will be at the same level as it will be on the day that the exchange will start. The naira values, everything, all prices, all assets, all contracts (by prices I mean wages), all prices including the prices of goods and services; prices of labour and so on will all go two decimal places to the left.

So in nominal terms nothing changes?

Nothing changes

Nothing changes? But in real terms they do

No, no, no. Yes (laughs) in nominal terms everybody remains basically unchanged. We haven’t lost any value. Nobody loses any value but over time because we will pin down inflation expectation every body gains so the guy who is earning 50,000 today will start going home with 500.

So, it means that naira this time is of a different value?

Yes, (of) a different value. It is just pari passu. The bus fare that used to be 15 naira will now be 15 kobo

So everything comes down?

Yes, so we will move it that way he will still enter the same bus, instead of the 15 naira when he was earning 50,000 now he pays 15 kobo out of his 500 naira.

So fuel price will also come down

Yes

Won’t there be any cutting of corners?

[b]No, no, no (laughs) it will be the same two decimal points to the left; everything all prices will be affected. On that particular date all the monies we have in the bank will go two decimals backwards. The old money you are going to drop, if you give them 50,000 naira, they are going to give you back 500 naira. Because it will be a totally new currency everybody will go through it. So what it means is that the value in nominal terms everything will just come down that way because everybody will go to the bank to exchange the old notes. Your old 50 naira, 100, 200, 500 and 1000 are out.

Does it mean that all currencies and coins will be changed? Will there a transition period where you will begin to introduce the new one or it will just happen on that day. When does the old currency cease to be legal tender? What are the challenges that you will face when people have the older currency in that transition period?

I believe the way we will want to do this will be to go almost like a big bang approach. It will be a big bang approach because we are not going to go with what we are having in Ghana or some others who have done it where you will have to get the old and the new notes. It is all manner of confusion, we don’t have a literate population that will get on to converting the old one and the new one and we would expect prices to adjust. It is going to be a big bang within he shortest operations. The duration of that we would have to work out with the banks and operators. We will work out the
infrastructure to make sure that we have a seamless transition even within the big bang.[/b]
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=86449
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by Teej(m): 8:27pm On Aug 19, 2007
I think it will be great you known,
maybe by then there would be more emphasis on credit card use in Nigeria
As in we wouldby then be using credit cards to buy stuffs. grin grin grin
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by HAH: 11:58pm On Aug 19, 2007
In an exclusive interview with Leadership Sunday in Gwagwalada, Abuja, Professor Idisi said , "You want to redesign the naira and you are not producing enough, and not having enough exports to increase the foreign reserve, and you are importing and consuming so much, whether you redesign or not, the status quo remains."

He pointed out that "it is a psychological thing to put in the minds of people, that is, you want to make N1, 000 become N10, which doesn’t make food cheaper. But really the price is still the same. After a while, people will forget that N1, 000 is N10, and you now shift because of heavy demand; that will shift again over time to become N1, 000 because the country is not producing enough".

He argued that the whole idea was deceptive as there was not enough evidence to show that the policy was well-conceived and would impact positively on the life of the average Nigerian. "I think we are deceiving ourselves. All the policies introduced over the past eight years have not done much good to the citizens of this country: the production sector is in total shambles because we are still massively importing even toothpicks, motorcycles and what have you," he siad.

Instead of redesigning the currencies, he stated, policy makers should address the fundamentals which will have positive impact on the populace. His words: "I think the monetary authority, the CBN, should not play with intellectual figures on real economy. They should stop playing with intellectual figurism without the real happenings."

Idisi emphasised that the currency can only be strengthened if the country is producing enough for internal consumption and having excess of what is demanded externally.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

FinCEN Files: US Places Atiku, Wives, Under International Banking Surveillance / Why Buhari Suspended Trip To Zamfara – Reno Omokri / Dino Melaye Calls Smart Adeyemi His Political Wife, Says He Will Win Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.