Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,600 members, 7,816,492 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Naira To Be Re-Denominated - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira To Be Re-Denominated (26234 Views)

Poll: Do you support the redomination of the naira? Will we gain a lot from it? Is it worth the enormous cost?

Yes: it's a step forward.: 70% (187 votes)
No: what are they smoking?: 29% (78 votes)
This poll has ended

FG Approves Immediate Payment Of 413 Billion Naira To Oil Marketers / I Earned 5,000 Naira To Burn School, Says Teenage Boko Haram Recruit / Naira To Fall To N263 Per Dollar Over The Next 12 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by bwaylu: 11:25pm On Aug 28, 2007
BREAKING NEWS !!! the re-domination move has been suspended  shocked for the time being by our president
follow the link to read on this

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=87570
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by amaikama(m): 4:51pm On Aug 29, 2007
Soludo want to redeem his image. mmmm!!! angry
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by goldamu(m): 10:42am On Aug 30, 2007
Re-Denomination of the Naira would be a good turn-around in the economy of Nigeria provided well-grounded measures are put in place to prevent a runaway inflation, reduce unemployment, increase the productivity of our industries (by providing adequate infrastructures like good roads, constant power and water supply.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by Seun(m): 10:58am On Aug 30, 2007
Those measures will be helpful with or without re-denomination, so why bother with re-denomination?
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by dinipre(f): 2:55pm On Aug 30, 2007
for those who think changing the naira name wnt be a bad idea, shld try changing their biological names to see hw much confusion they wld face.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by Young15(m): 4:59pm On Aug 31, 2007
this idea is retarded, yes you heard me it just the ministers taking advantage of yar' adua's position, as if they had brought this up last year obasanjo would have dismissed it. they are just trying to provide themselves with even more money. think about it the two strongest economies in africa have'nt done this. in egypt it is about 100 pounds to a dollar, and in south africa its about 6 rand to a dollar.  but just look at they YEn its doin' perfectly fine. knowing nigerians if this does come into effect the currency will begin to loose its value considerably within 7 months of the change. if they do change this currency, i and my family will personally pull out our assets from nigeria, stocks, personal accounts and savings. using just a bare minimal. this it the kind of rubbish that makes people consider leaving nigeria !!!!! the americans must be thinking who the hell are these nigerians with there few barrels of oil trying to put their currency at par with the dollar. this is a promise the dollar will eat up the naira, and then again the lack of education in nigeia, how are you going to tell people who have grown up their whole lifes knowing there to be 1000, 500, 200, 100, 50 naira notes. that all of a sudden the largest note will be 20 naira. I pray that for the sake of nigeria this does not come to pass it would be a huge step backwards, reminisent of the last time the naira 's value depreciated. instead of looking at the basic neccesities of just clean water alone. this is a country where tribes that do not wear clothing exsits and the thing on everybody's mind is the value of the currency. maybe itf nigeria has tackled the simple necesities of life the economy might be even more sustainable. without a sustainable economy this re-domination will not work. this is nothing but pure greediness. at the moment nigeria relies soley on oil as its best export, a commodity that is running out quickly. the fact that nigeria is doing considerably well is not due to the intellect of the government but the share grace of god. this countr has issues
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by lovemajek(f): 9:11am On Sep 01, 2007
I thought this issue is resolved?
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by slimnike(m): 2:23pm On Sep 05, 2007
lovemajek:

I thought this issue is resolved?
Na you resolve am? Matter just dey start you say wheather them never resolve am.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by 9ja4eva: 3:44am On Sep 10, 2007
Issue has been suspended so why the debate?

Wldnt be a bad idea at all.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by champredd(m): 5:01pm On Sep 12, 2007
I don't think it should be suspended indefinitely, it has a good chance of improving our economy.

The Naira will appreciate anyway, but the redenomination will make the impact of the appreciation of Naira not to affect the Purchasing Power. That is the way I see it. lipsrsealed
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by slimnike(m): 11:41pm On Sep 21, 2007
sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by otokx(m): 5:31pm On Mar 08, 2009
I hear this demon is being invoked from its deep slumber.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:11am On Mar 11, 2009
otokx:

I hear this demon is being invoked from its deep slumber.

I hope that is only hearsay!
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by biina: 9:51am On Jun 10, 2009
Re-denomination of the Naira is a waste of time and resources.
Currency re-denomination is mainly a cosmetic job, and is of no value if your currency and economy are still weak,and inflation is in double digits.
It was another one of Soludo's 'brilliant' theoretical ideas, that were of no real positive value to the economy.
In fact, if Soludo had implemented his idea, given our past history of prices defying gravity, we would have likely ended up with an alarming inflation rate that would have made effective prices much worse.
The yen has been trading to the dollar around the 100:1 mark for the past decade, and you dont hear the Japanese speaking of re-denomination.
The strength of your currency is more accurately revealed in its stability under open market. The weak nature of the Naira stem from our over dependence on crude oil for forex income and thus the value of the Naira fluctuates with crude oil prices
Nigerians should be grateful that the move was suspended, and hopefully it gets canceled permanently.

PS: The outcome of the poll is shocking.
Re: Naira To Be Re-Denominated by pleep(m): 2:55am On Aug 02, 2012
So this never happend? a pity.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Lepers To President Buhari: You Abandoned Us After Helping You Win Elections / No Deal Until Ayu Resigns, Wike Tells Atiku, PDP Plans Intervention / Deputy Senate President: Election Begins As Ekweremadu Locks Horns With OmoAgege

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.