Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,836 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness (24342 Views)

Wike: Military Generals Threatened Me With CIA / How I Was Tortured, Asked To Implicate Saraki – Offa Robbery Suspect / Offa Bank Robbery: What Suspects Said To Implicate Saraki – Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by LIVE08(m): 5:39am On Jul 20, 2022
The witness, who is also a co-defendant in the trial court that one of the anti-graft agency's lawyer, Bala Sanga, also threatened him to rope in Messrs Jonathan and Adoke.

A defence witness in the trial of former Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), Bello Adoke, has told the Federal High Court in Abuja that an operative of the Economic Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) threatened him to implicate former President Goodluck Jonathan in the alleged money laundering case filed against him and the former AGF.

The witness, Aliyu Abubakar, who is also a co-defendant in the trial, told the judge, Inyang Ekwo, on Monday that one of the anti-graft agency’s lawyer, Bala Sanga, also threatened him to rope in Mr Adoke.

He said this while being led in evidence by his lawyer, Wole Olanipekun, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria.

The anti-graft agency is prosecuting Mr Adoke who was AGF during Mr Jonathan’s presidency between 2010 and 2015 alongside a businessman, Aliyu Abubakar, on a 14-count charge.

The EFCC alleged, among others, in the charges that Mr Adoke had in August 2013, in Abuja, accepted a cash payment of the dollar equivalent of N300 million from Mr Aliyu, and thereby committed an offence punishable under section 16 (2)(b) of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act 2011 (as amended).

While Mr Abubakar was also accused of accepting a cash payment of the sum of $4 million from Faman Holdings Limited, through one Abdulhakeem Uthman Mustapha, in September 2013, the prosecution told the court that Mr Adoke, made structured cash payments in tranches into his Unity Bank Plc Account No. 0020153263.

Tuesday’s trial-within-trial
Aminu Lawal, the second prosecution witness in the trial-within-trial, had on May 10 said Mr Abubakar was neither compelled to make statements nor induced to implicate others in the course of the investigation.

Mr Lawal was one of the investigators who took the defendant’s statements on December 31, 2019 and on January 6, 2020.

But at Tuesday’s proceedings, Mr Abubakar told the judge that the extra-judicial statements he made on December 31, 2019 and on January 6, 2020 were made under duress.

He said upon EFCC’s invitation on December 31, 2019, a former prosecutor in the case, Mr Sanga, threatened to detain him if he declined to make extra-judicial statements to implicate Messrs Jonathan and Adoke.

Former Nigerian president, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan
Mr Abubakar said Mr Sanga introduced himself as the new prosecutor in the case, informing him that there was evidence showing that he (Mr Abubakar) gave the sum of 20 million dollars to Mr Adoke.

In addition, Mr Abubakar told the judge that Mr Sanga informed him that there was another evidence which revealed he (Mr Abubakar) gave the sum of 50 million dollars to Mr Jonathan.

“On the 31st December, 2019, my lawyer, Ahmed Audu, came to me and said one Ibrahim Ahmed from EFCC called him that they needed clarification from me about this case.

“I followed my lawyer to EFCC. When I got there, some of the EFCC’s staff like Ibrahim, Babangida and others came in that I must give a confessional statement.

“They said that things have changed and somebody has to record me (on video), that his name is Bala Sanga.

“He introduced himself as the new prosecutor in this case. He thanked me and said I should continue to cooperate with them and that they will help me if I continue to cooperate with them.

“He then asked me questions. He asked my lawyer to write for me and I said no that I will not make any more statement because I had already made statements which are with them.

“He said if I don’t, they will detain me,” Mr Abubakar said.

He said due to the fact that it was festive period then, he had to succumb to the officer’s instruction.

“I realised the next day was January 1, 2020, that was why I decided that they should write for me,” Mr Abubakar narrated.

Speaking on his experience at EFCC’s office, he said: “That day we went to the EFCC and they ask us to come the second day. Bala Sanga called me to one side that Alhaji, I want to help you in this case.

“He (Mr Sanga) asked how close I am to Adoke. He said you have to sacrifice somebody to be alive.

“He said there is evidence before him which he will show me at the right time; that he heard information that I gave Adoke 20 million dollars.

“I said what? How did it come?

“He said maybe because me and Mr Adoke are from the same place and that that was why I did not want to say anything.

“He also said that there is evidence before him that I gave Goodluck Jonathan 50 million dollars.

“He said if I did not agree to cooperate with him, he would charge me to court.

“So I said he should go ahead.”

Mr Abubakar said the argument by the anti-graft agency that nobody asked him to implicate anybody was untrue.

Mr Abubakar’s cross-examination
Mr Adoke’s counsel, Kanu Agabi, SAN, while crossed-examining Mr Abubakar, asked the witness to reconfirm his statement that Mr Sanga told him to implicate Mr Adoke and he answered in affirmative.

EFCC’s prosecuting counsel, Offem Uket, during his cross-examination of Mr Abubakar, told the court that the witness’ statements of December 31, 2019, and January 6, 2020, were voluntarily made.

He said in the video clip played in the open court on the last adjourned date that Mr Abubakar did not protest against the directive by the agency’s officers on making the extra-judicial statements but the witness disagreed with Mr Uket.

Similarly, the second defence witness, Ahmed Audu, who is Mr Abubakar’s lawyer, testified in the matter after Mr Abubakar was discharged from witness box.

ALSO READ: MALABU: I’ve been vindicated by courts – Ex-Minister Adoke
Mr Audu said he wrote the statement on Abubakar’s behalf on December 31, 2019.

“(Mr) Sanga came in that day and asked my name and I said Barrister Ahmed.

“He said he was the new prosecutor in this matter and he took over from one Aliyu Yusuf.

“He said he needed some clarifications from us and my client rejected because he had written a number of statements over this matter.

“Ibrahim said anything Sanga asked us to do we should do.

“While we were there, we heard Magu (former EFCC’s chairman’s) ‘siren’ coming in and I was even sweating and I felt guilty already.

“I ask Ibrahim why did he say that anything he ask us to do, do it.

“That was how we started the statement. That was what happened that day.

“After the statement, I ask Ahmed Ibrahim can I go with my client.

“They released us around 7:30 p.m. on that day and we protested that I will not sign and my client too.

“But they said we will not go until we sign. So they ask us to come on January 6, 2020,” he said.

After the cross-examination, the judge adjourned the matter until September 28 for hearing.

The EFCC insists that Mr Adoke made cash payments that exceeded the approved threshold amounts, outside a financial institution.

The anti-graft agency listed the companies accused of complicity in the about $1.1 billion fraud to include A Group Construction Company Limited; Rocky Top Resources Limited; Megatech Engineering Limited; Novel Properties and Development Company Limited, Imperial Union Limited and Carlin International Nigeria Limited

PREMIUM TIMES

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by thesicilian: 5:42am On Jul 20, 2022
The truth will eventually be revealed.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Kurumaru: 5:58am On Jul 20, 2022
Old story... Abeg.. 2023 is our focus now... No distractions.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Maxymilliano(m): 5:58am On Jul 20, 2022
Covert conspiracies against the innocent.
No wonder God has not allowed the APC government to triumph due to lies and deceit.

GEJ was and is still a good man, Nigeria politics is not for people like him.

181 Likes 15 Shares

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by princeade86(m): 5:59am On Jul 20, 2022
Can u imagine

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by osejie17(m): 5:59am On Jul 20, 2022
grin
Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by foreshore(m): 6:01am On Jul 20, 2022
LIVE08:
The witness, who is also a co-defendant in the trial court that one of the anti-graft agency's lawyer, Bala Sanga, also threatened him to rope in Messrs Jonathan and Adoke.

PREMIUM TIMES

Why are we like this! Deceptive

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by NYSCPLUG01(m): 6:01am On Jul 20, 2022
There is a lot going on behind the curtains in this country.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by TooMuchStuff: 6:02am On Jul 20, 2022
Wicked people

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Dabillion: 6:03am On Jul 20, 2022
Even if the truth is unveil, what will happen?omo country is gone abeg
thesicilian:

31 Likes

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by DukeofUmueri247: 6:03am On Jul 20, 2022
We know....Thank God the APC is going next year..

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Telekinetic: 6:05am On Jul 20, 2022
Dabillion:
Even if the truth is unveil, what will happen?omo country is gone abeg
As in ehn! Just recently a terrorist was coronated, people wailed and wailed that day. All they could do was wail for a day!

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by GardenOfGod(m): 6:06am On Jul 20, 2022
Who God has blessed, no APC vagabond can destroy.

16 Likes

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by pepetua(m): 6:08am On Jul 20, 2022
Thanks God you refused them.

4 Likes

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Triangles1(m): 6:09am On Jul 20, 2022
Forget implicate him or not all of you are crook and nobody is a saint.
Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Jostoman: 6:09am On Jul 20, 2022
Terrible EFCC

1 Like

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Skyfornia(m): 6:11am On Jul 20, 2022
APC and witch hunt.. evil party. Ended up wasting 8 years.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by sweetonugbu: 6:11am On Jul 20, 2022
Imagin
Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:11am On Jul 20, 2022
Here we go again. Election don dey come, money don dey go round
Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Osashalom: 6:11am On Jul 20, 2022
Detectives turned deceptives because the government is destructive and deceptive

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Blackfire(m): 6:13am On Jul 20, 2022
Jonathan is corrupt that was why the North and SW voted him out
Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Gkay1(m): 6:13am On Jul 20, 2022
Detectives turned deceitful

Nigeria, I hail ooooo.
Everything is upside down in dis country
Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by CondemnBattery(f): 6:15am On Jul 20, 2022
sad
That's how heartless our law enforcement has turned into.

"You have to sacrifice someone to remain alive"

That's how many innocent souls are languishing in prison today.

Imagine wanting to implicate the Ex President by all means. But God pass these criminals in uniform

3 Likes

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Nobody: 6:17am On Jul 20, 2022
Efcc will be shut down one day

Rogue agency

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by iLoveYouToo(m): 6:18am On Jul 20, 2022
Are you kidding me?
Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Zelenskyy(m): 6:18am On Jul 20, 2022
Blackfire:
Jonathan is corrupt that was why the North and SW voted him out

And they Voted in a Bigger and a more Corrupt Thief in the Person of Buhari..

Corruption in Nigeria today is More rampant than before he took Over.

He has not left office and we are hearing of 80 billion naira that is Stolen. Even Magu that Buhari nominated to fight corruption was Roped in a Corrupt scandal.

Wait until Buhari and the APC leaves office and you will see more Corrupt Practices linked to Buhari.

Buhari, Tinubu and the APC are not Saints.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by seguno2: 6:21am On Jul 20, 2022
LIVE08:

Jonathan must be a prophet for telling us that Buhari and APC are just pretentious rogues who will loot, steal and rob us of our commonwealth.
Not so
And now Peter Obi is trying the same deceptive format to scam us next year.
Did I hear you say God forbid

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by Newton2024: 6:22am On Jul 20, 2022
thesicilian:
Truth has been eventually revealed unless you don't want to see it. The truth is that useless good for nothing EFCC is nothing but nonentity arm of the ruling party being used to fight perceived enemies of APC and Buhari. EFCC is a very crude and very corrupt entity just like Nigeria police force that needs to be disbanded by the next government. Staff of EFCC should be sent to farm in prisons accross Nigeria. Maybe they could be useful in that way.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Threatened Me To Implicate Ex-President Jonathan, Adoke - Witness by franchasofficia: 6:24am On Jul 20, 2022
Terrible cry

Dear Nigerians, have you read what Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie the world's multiple global award winning, renowned author wrote about Peter Obi? Please try and read that piece.

It was so deep and touching. First time Chimamanda Ngozi will be supporting a Nigerian politician aspiring for a position openly without shame cry

Dear Nigerians, as someone that have very close access to Mr Peter Obi. As someone that is very close to someone that Peter Obi listens to and takes every pinch of his advice, I want to make a promise to all Nigerians today.

I promise you all fellow Nigerians, Peter Obi cannot afford to fail Nigerians. He must work once he wins, there is no thinking twice about it. We the illustrious sons and daughters of Igbo land hate injustice against anybody, be it to Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas, Fulanis, Idomas, Binis, Ijaws, Itshekiris, etc. We will hold Peter Obi accountable and ensure he works for the progress of all Nigerians. We cannot allow Peter Obi to disgrace us after the so much love and trust Nigerians have showered on him. I tell you all as someone close to Peter Obi that he is already feeling deeply indebted to you all. He is feeling the load already and have promised to do his best working together with all Nigerians of good will from around the world to ensure Nigeria is rescued and put on track for the well being of all Nigerians of all tribes and religion.

By any chance, as human he is, if he dares to do nonsense after winning, we will confront him squarely until he resigns. This resolve, we have already made clear and known to him that the love he is getting now will be childsplay compared to the numerous attacks and violence he would receive directly from we illustrious sons and daughters of Igbo nation if he dares derail from making sure things work for all Nigerians.

We have given him a mandate never to dare favor Igbos because he comes from the Igbo tribe. We have made it known to him that his contesting for President is not to favor Igbos but to surprise Nigerians and make them realize the mistake they have made for decades by intentionally blocking Igbos from leading Nigeria at the federal level. We have warned him and pointed out to him, the grievous mistakes of Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, Maj. Gen. Aguiyi Ironsi and those of other past Nigerian leaders, including the glaring failure of Muhammadu Buhari and he has given us his words that he must deliver.

In fact Peter Obi cannot even dare it with all these love from Nigerians. He cannot because it will forever destroy the chances of all Igbos and will further make Igbos a mockery of all nations, so we the illustrious sons and daughtersof Igbo land will never sit idly and allow Peter Obi to fail Nigerians for any reason cry

His only options are deliver or resign honorably!

Let me give Nigerians a secret, Peter Obi wants to leave a generational legacy in Nigeria and in Africa by being the first black leader to lift the most populated black nation Nigeria out of misery and decades of ruins.

Peter Obi wants to be remembered in Nigeria as Lin Kuan Hu is remembered in Singapore as the man that transformed Singapore.

He told us that if it was for money or fanfare or fame, that he wouldn't be contesting, that he had a divine push to do what he intends to do and that he has left everything to the maker of heaven and earth to decide if the mission He sent him would work or not. That he believes if it is truly divine, that his emergence against all odds, will become a reality and that if its not, that he would not emerge.

I promise all Nigerians once again that Peter Obi will not fail your mandate, give him a trial and watch out.

Turning the tides of Nigeria around to become one of the best countries where government works is possible, believe me, it is not too difficult a task like previous leaders have made it look, believe me brothers and sisters, Peter Obi must deliver this nation from the hands of demons holding Nigeria down for the benefit of few Nigerians alone while millions of Nigerians cry and suffer perpetually till they die and their children continue the perpetual suffering and struggling despite Nigeria's enormous natural resources.

Nigerians, especially youths are migrating to all nations of the world, scattered all over the world even when they don't truly desire this, all because of failed leaders and failed Nigerian system that favour only the wicked and the crooked!

Things must change in 2023.

Vote with your conscience. Don't quit your party, remain in your party but please vote Peter Obi on that date as a test. Do this just to test all these noise about Peter Obi and watch out. Your children born and unborn will bless the day you were born a Nigeria if you can do this for them.

If other candidates offer you money or gift or favour please take it but vote with your conscience. Vote Peter Obi.

God bless you all

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tribunal begins hearing on Atiku’s petition against Buhari Wednesday. / Governor Ikpeazu Heads To Supreme Court - See Notice Of Appeal (PHOTOS) / Corps Members Withhold Election Results In Ihiala, Demand N3,000 Food Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.