Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira (1146 Views)

Why Are Nigerians Still Buying Dollars / FX Arbitrage Widens To ₦‎206/$1 Enabling Round-Tripping, CBN Vows Crack Down / CBN Vows To Prosecute POS Operators Who Demand Exorbitant Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by OgaDeyVex: 2:28pm On Jul 20, 2022
Update From . COM

The Central Bank of Nigeria has vowed to arrest and prosecute Nigerians using naira to buy dollars.

For those taking money from banks to buy dollars, it is illegal to do so. If the security agencies hold you, you will know the implication of that,” Godwin Emefiele, CBN governor, said Tuesday at the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting in Lagos.

Reading the riot act to bank customers, Mr Emefiele urged Nigerians illegally exchanging naira for dollar to stop, adding that the apex bank would conduct investigations and bar those found culpable from conducting transactions in Nigerian banks.

Mr Emefiele disclosed the apex bank’s monitoring of customers and banks, warning that the CBN would sanction banks caught in illegal transactions. “We will conduct investigations, and we will have proof, and you will not be able to conduct transactions in any Nigerian bank. We will place ‘post no debit’ on the defaulting customer’s account.

The warning followed the central bank’s efforts to prevent further deterioration of the naira’s value and the country’s economy.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/nationaldailyng.com/cbn-vows-to-arrest-any-nigerian-buying-dollars-with-naira/%3famp=1

1 Share

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by OgaDeyVex: 2:28pm On Jul 20, 2022
Cc: Lalasticlala Mynd44 And Seun
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by kenniefawole(m): 2:40pm On Jul 20, 2022
Lol
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by abuwidad(m): 2:43pm On Jul 20, 2022
Igbayi la ro
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by Nigeriafirstlad(m): 2:53pm On Jul 20, 2022
Z
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by mrpackager(m): 3:06pm On Jul 20, 2022
Lol
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by Oloniyan(m): 3:14pm On Jul 20, 2022
Arrest those politicians first

6 Likes

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by Seun(m): 3:24pm On Jul 20, 2022
It was probably taken out of context. I believe he was talking about the politicians specifically.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by cunny88(m): 3:53pm On Jul 20, 2022
He wasn't...a friend in UK had his Nigerian account restricted cos one of his inflows had purchase of fx as narration

2 Likes

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by cunny88(m): 3:54pm On Jul 20, 2022
Seun:
It was probably taken out of context. I believe he was talking about the politicians specifically.
He wasn't...a friend in UK had his Nigerian account restricted cos one of his inflows had purchase of fx as narration

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by clarocuzioo(m): 4:28pm On Jul 20, 2022
Emefiele Godwin is indeed a joker.
Is this how he and Buhari plans to make Naira equal to dollar?

1 Like

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by Fobicious: 5:15pm On Jul 20, 2022
Just because you can't make the Naira gain value, u want to vent out your frustrations on Innocent Nigerians. Learn to do your job properly and stop looking for culprit for a loophole u created

5 Likes

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by OgaDeyVex: 8:28pm On Jul 20, 2022
Lalasticlala Mynd44 And Seun
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by omorttee4u(m): 9:16pm On Jul 20, 2022
I think he's trying to encourage people to Buy from their bank, when ever they need fx. It's a good move!

1 Like

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by SkinolCosmetics: 3:54am On Jul 21, 2022
This is terrible.
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by sonssyo: 6:38am On Jul 21, 2022
omorttee4u:
I think he's trying to encourage people to Buy from their bank, when ever they need fx. It's a good move!

Banks don't have either,where do one go from here?

2 Likes

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by sonnie10: 6:41am On Jul 21, 2022
Lame!
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by talk2hb1(m): 7:28am On Jul 21, 2022
When we knew buying from Bank no easy, I tried buying one thousand dollars earlier last month, the process is killing with all the dumb bank requirements.
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by omorttee4u(m): 9:16am On Jul 21, 2022
sonssyo:

Banks don't have either,where do one go from here?

Banks do have!

You have to notify them2 weeks ahead of the needy and the purpose, school fees, BTA. You must come wiith evidence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by janvier27(m): 9:47am On Jul 21, 2022
Laughable. It's impracticable pronouncements like this that worsen the fate of the naira.
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by yemmit90: 11:09am On Jul 21, 2022
He should directs his warning to bank officials, politicians and influential people in society because getting dollar from the bank by average citizen is one hell of a task.

These people especially banks,buy from CBN at official rate and sell higher at black market with huge profit.

1 Like

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by DontBullshitMe: 7:07pm On Jul 21, 2022
Seun:
Seun. I made a post this Morning on the politics section and I was banned by the antiSpam bot. The post I made was also deleted and I clearly wasn't violating any Nairaland rule. Please, can you restore the post?

The post was was made in the politics section. Can you restore it please?

1 Like

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by clems88(m): 11:44pm On Jul 21, 2022
Nonsense governor. Come and arrest
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by samsard(m): 8:01am On Jul 22, 2022
omorttee4u:

Banks do have!

You have to notify them2 weeks ahead of the needy and the purpose, school fees, BTA. You must come wiith evidence.
It's approved and provided by the CBN. I was in a bank when one of the bank staff confirmed to someone that there are many unapproved applications that had been pending for like 2 months if i recall correctly.
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by omorttee4u(m): 8:16am On Jul 22, 2022
samsard:
It's approved and provided by the CBN. I was in a bank when one of the bank staff confirmed to someone that there are many unapproved applications that had been pending for like 2 months if i recall correctly.

If that's true, then corruption hit that section too, every angle to make things right in Nigeria, we Nigerians are corruption imppeded!
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by samsard(m): 8:51am On Jul 22, 2022
omorttee4u:

If that's true, then corruption hit that section too, every angle to make things right in Nigeria, we Nigerians are corruption imppeded!
There's no section of Nigerian life unaffected by corruption. And I know for a fact that people were applying for PTA and selling it because of the difference between black market and official rates.

1 Like

Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by omorttee4u(m): 8:46pm On Jul 22, 2022
samsard:
There's no section of Nigerian life unaffected by corruption. And I know for a fact that people were applying for PTA and selling it because of the difference between black market and official rates.

What am I even saying? I'm a first hand experienced on that!

A friend of mine back then, I think it was during yar'dua Godluck jonathan regime.

Where those guys collides with an insiders, they claimed BTA dollar with fake visa and then sell too breeau de change. I can remeber vividly, those guy cash out big time then!
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by OgaDeyVex: 6:29pm On Jul 23, 2022
Seun:

Oga Seun Move To Homepage Please
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by kolamilan(m): 6:46pm On Jul 23, 2022
Werey people. But we can buy dollar with naira abi. Ode oloripipa.
Re: CBN Vows To Arrest Any Nigerian Buying Dollars With Naira by MrPADDY(m): 6:54pm On Jul 23, 2022
Nigeria economic policy makers inflicting more pains on the struggling masses, while the political class are moving funds about, unrestricted.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Need Small Loan To Start A Busines Or Pay School Fees? / Oil Well For Sale; Anyone? / Boxer Motorcycle Needed In Large Quantity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.