Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,402 members, 7,861,136 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:31 AM

Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! (7650 Views)

FG Commissions Nigeria’s First Solar/Wind Power Plant / The Danger That Come With Naira Devaluation / Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by udbyron1(m): 4:05am On Jul 30, 2011
its a one step to development +other benefits but can it be properly maintained?
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 4:16am On Jul 30, 2011
jmaine:

Did you call them lazy . . . guess the comfort of technology they churn out on a consistent to make your life easier is due to laziness . . .

And how many hundreds of years does it take it to get to that harm[b]less[/b] state . . .The challenge of nuclear waste is in it's long resident time in a toxic state cos any leakage or unforeseen circumstances can lead to radioactive poisoning

So how can you ensure the emboldened does not occur for like hundreds of years . . . Won't that pending question bother you . . .

sorry saw you post late wink

1. this is not about technology, all they do is wanting to remove the waste without any stress and that is why they put it in countries shore line or export them to african countries

2. it takes hundreds of years sometimes even thousand, but we do not care so long as it is buryed in the core north and does not lick them the years in immaterial

3. it would not occur if it is sealed in a tight lead container and buryed to about few thousan feet down the earth surface
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 4:17am On Jul 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

Any region that it is sited should contribute at least 90% of the employees.

well said
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by antitpiah: 4:33am On Jul 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

Any region that it is sited should contribute[b] at least 90% of the employees[/b].

I agree. And atleast 90% of the initial deaths too.

It is only fair.

Ibo people, very stupidddddd indeed.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Chyz2: 4:38am On Jul 30, 2011
The north or yorubaland. There is more space there and high unemployment. Would be great to site it in either of the two places. If the north, then the NW is the best because of its vast size.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by antitpiah: 4:43am On Jul 30, 2011
Chyz*:

The north or yorubaland. There is more space there and high unemployment. Would be great to site it in either of the two places. If the north, then the NW is the best because of its vast size.

We will take it as long as you guys are willing to come work there, in the initial stages. After all, y'all are the technology experts in Nigeria wink
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 4:46am On Jul 30, 2011
Chyz*:

lets not turn this to ethnic reason. let be clear headed and objective

the north is too hot for a nuclear power plant

the west is to conjested and more over, they have given a lot of land to the country already

the SS is an oil area and would be silly if it is put there unless they are looking at the avilability of cooling water

just the middle belt and east left

the middle belt also carries our food and dumb if a nuclear power plant is there, also abuja is the capital

leaving the east. undecided
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by dady2011(m): 4:49am On Jul 30, 2011
In the light of the most recent nuclear disaster in Japan at Fukushima, It is important to understand the key disadvantages of this type of power usage in Nigeria.

some of the disadvantages includes:

1. Radioactive waste
 The production of nuclear power produced a lot of waste material. This waste material is extremely hazardous and difficult to dispose of safely. Most radioactive waste produced by a nuclear power plant is keep on site or is buried underground in huge concrete pits. This waste has to be carefully looked after for many thousands of years.

2. High risks associated with accidents
While the chance of a nuclear accident happening are relatively low the risks associated are extremely high. Even small radiation leaks can cause devastating effects on the surrounding environment and people. A cataclysmic accident can cause widespread radiation poisoning across many countries as the Chernobyl Nuclear disaster proved.

3. Terrorist Targets
Due to the wide spread damage a reactor breach could cause, nuclear power plants could become favoured terrorist targets. Some nuclear reactions also produce plutonium in large quantities which could be used in nuclear weaponry

See the two youtube link below for an explanation of the Fukushima nuclear reactor problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdbitRlbLDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZIvPRMCLr0

If Nigeria Government could not even run NITEL/MTEL, Nigerian Airways, Hospitals, and many other government minisitries efficiently, I doubt if they can run a nuclear plan efficiently, safety will be compromised and thousands of Nigerian life will be in grave danger. I see a disaster waiting to happen.  If Japan with all the technology had problems dealing with the recent nuclear disaster, Nigeria will be in big trouble.

I hope those clueless politicians don't put it in the South South.  Abuja is the best location for this plan, so when the disaster happen, Abuja resident will all face the radiation and health complication first before it spread to other part of the country.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by mkpologwu(m): 4:59am On Jul 30, 2011
Guys on this matter, I must be serious at least this once.
Nuclear plants are not built within/near settlement areas! It often built close to waters (big rivers or seas).
So am thinking of those states bounded by Atlantic ocean (lagos, ondo, edo, delta, bayelsa, rivers, akwa ibom, that is if the project is actually going to see the daylight!!!
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Nobody: 5:01am On Jul 30, 2011
why should we have in Nigeria. yes i know the benefits but with what has happened in Japan and the Chernobyl disaster. I dont think its a good idea. We can look at other ways of generating electricity and get serious about it if we`re really serious.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Nobody: 5:07am On Jul 30, 2011
in fact, our lack of maintenance alone and disregard for OHS is enough to say no to it.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Beaf: 5:27am On Jul 30, 2011
Put the damn thing in Borno state to put the fear of God in boko haram. Lol!

We need a nuclear plant for fast gains. The best thing would be to build or buy a few and use the money they will generate from the rapid industrial expansion that increased power supply will generate to build new hydro, coal and gas powered, solar, wind and wave energy plants.
We could be developed in under twenty years with the right steps.

I says, bring it on! cool
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Chyz2: 5:29am On Jul 30, 2011
alj harem:

lets not turn this to ethnic reason. let be clear headed and objective

the north is too hot for a nuclear power plant

the west is to conjested and more over, they have given a lot of land to the country already

the SS is an oil area and would be silly if it is put there unless they are looking at the avilability of cooling water

just the middle belt and east left

the middle belt also carries our food and dumb if a nuclear power plant is there, also abuja is the capital

leaving the east. undecided

Its hot in the East as well so heat is irrelevant. Is it not hot in Israel and Iran? Yet they have nuclear power plants. Again,hat is irrelevent.

Sw is not at all congested,ive been there many times. You cant fool me,son.

The East is congested and highly dense in population and has erosion problems. Not a good look.

If not because of my future relations, id say kwara would be the best bet if according to u the north is "too hot" and the sw is "congested". There's balance. grin

But in all, we all know the SW and north are the best locations. cool
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by seanet02: 5:39am On Jul 30, 2011
Nigeria must not cheat ibos again, this must be cited in the east
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Chyz2: 5:42am On Jul 30, 2011
seanet02:

Nigeria must not cheat ibos again, this must be cited in the east

Lmao! grin
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by juman(m): 6:26am On Jul 30, 2011
Good step.

My place is good for it's location. grin
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Sike(m): 7:29am On Jul 30, 2011
Com'on! Bring it On!!
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Yeske2(m): 7:57am On Jul 30, 2011
Dont think any right thinking governor would want it sited in the SE, neither would the people too. Just as someone rightly said, for cooling purposes it could be sited in one of the coastal states stretching from Lagos to Cross-River
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Jakumo(m): 7:59am On Jul 30, 2011
To the amazement of the scientific community, the Koreans recently created a dog that glows in the dark, using genetic engineering techniques.

As the Giant of Africa, Nigeria should go one better, by inviting Russians, who constructed the Chernobyl nuclear plant that melted down spectacularly, to construct more of the same on Nigerian soil.

By 2020 ALL Nigerians MUST glow in the dark, and the Russians are the ones best qualified to realize this illuminating dream.   Before anyone scoffs at this idea, remember that flashlights, and domestic light fixtures which rely on mains electrical power, will be rendered OBSOLETE in a land where all citizens literally light up any room they enter.

"A nuke plant in every backyard" must now be adopted as the rallying cry of truly patriotic Nigerians and other well-meaning luminaries.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 30, 2011
Based on the topography of Nigeria, Maiduguri or Kano state will be the best location for this project and of course Aso rock gan will even make a sweeter location if its mounted right on top of the rock! At least cooling will no longer be a problem and security issue would av been properly taken care of bc terrorist can not climb the rock without being spotted!

Nuclear reactor can not work properly in south east because of erosion!
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by strangest(m): 8:57am On Jul 30, 2011
I would have said that the NORTH will be a better place for the site but the plant may end up in the hands of Boko Haram, the east is very close to river niger,., and am really scared of river pollution, the west is okay, especially Ekiti.,., loads of professors there that can handle the plant,
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by MeandSum: 9:15am On Jul 30, 2011
Onlytruth:

In my book, Russia is the worst country on earth to trust with an infrastructure with a strategic potential.
What happened to Ajaokuta steel

You know this how? Are you in Russia?
I'm in Ukraine, oh yes , Ukraine where Chernobyl meltdown happened. The even in Japan has shown Ukraine handled the situation a lot better than anyone else could have.

Tell me, in the last 30 days, how many days have you had 24 hours constant electricity?  Heck, the last time I had a region wide(like a local government in Nigeria) black out was 5 years ago! very strong wind and heavy snow. Took them less than 5 hours to replace everything.

Ajaokuta was mismanaged by our "leaders" not by the Russians.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by wascom2: 9:28am On Jul 30, 2011
guyz what are you all saying? let be realistic here for once, this so call nuclear power plant is not an alternative energy supply for a country like ours. Nigeria is a country where technology advancements have been a total fiasco.some country are considering shutting down their nuclear power plant and resort to saver and hazard free energy source we are considering making it our alternative energy source.a country where there are adequate resources for us to maintain H.E.P but yet we are still unable to met up with power generation and distribution. Have we ever considered the environmental consequences of this so called nuclear power,and can we maintain it for it not to lead to a massive disaster for us. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Horus(m): 9:59am On Jul 30, 2011
On location of the nuclear power plant. It should be near coastal areas

In case of tsunami we are at risk. Even if the nuclear plan is near coastal areas the cooling systems in some of the reactors can fail; this is what happened in Japan.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Oladimejii(m): 10:00am On Jul 30, 2011
I do not Nigeria can maintain a Nuclear Power Plant. Let's take the case of Japan for example, When the Fukushima power plant had problems, it affected everything. The environment, food, water, humans were all affected. Also we have a very weak risk and emergency management system.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by member479760: 10:57am On Jul 30, 2011
This is the time we should all wake up to say NO to Nuclear power plant. We have other options relatively dangerless that this stuff.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by liquid7: 11:05am On Jul 30, 2011
Let the igbos take this one i beg you GEJ.
In 10-20 years when the cooling system fails due to the usual Nigerian poor maintainace we will have lot less igbos posting here .
Even if the Russians are given the full contract to run and maintain it ,in times of emergency they call the emergency services which is non existant in Nigeria.
look at japan using planes to drop huge amount of water on that plant to cool it.Using foam to coat it .Nigeria does not even have working fire engines .
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Jakumo(m): 11:07am On Jul 30, 2011
A mini-nuclear plant must be built in EVERY town and village of Nigeria with immediate effect, so that electrical power and radioactive nuclear waste with a million-year half-life can FINALLY be exported from Nigeria to the Niger Republic, her grateful northern neighbour.

Nigerian police will guard the gamma-ray sites, and provide security in all areas of the Nigerian Nuclear State that suddenly become Chernobyl-style radioactive wastelands, to ensure proper accounting and allocation of all glowing properties liberated from homes and businesses in the affected areas.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Lexzycane(m): 11:30am On Jul 30, 2011
Am very uncomfortable wt dis. Nuclear wetin? Nigerians can't afford 2 be too careful and our leaders do not care about who dies. If Nigeria truely wants to go through with this, it should be built in an area wt less population and we should be prepared in case of any disaster.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Rgp92: 11:46am On Jul 30, 2011
Let them build it. We can change it later, lets use it to develop quickly
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Horus(m): 11:50am On Jul 30, 2011

Earthlife Africa protest: Nuclear is not the answer!
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by igboboy1(m): 12:58pm On Jul 30, 2011
After Seanet02 will open his dirty mouth and call me tribalist. Biko site the plants in Akure, Ibadan, Ile Ife, Ado Ekiti and Ilesha cos the western part of Nigeria need the benefits more than the other parts plus when nigeria breaks up they already have a plant, cool. You see i didnt clamour for anyone in Alaigbo. Just hope after i scratch your back una go scratch my back grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Business Can I Do With 200-300k? / Nigeria Hopes To Topple South Africa As Africa's Largest Economy / How Does The L.p.o. Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.