Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / . (3220 Views)

What Happens After Marriage? How Would You Advise The Unmarried? / Woman Buys Coffin For Husband In Anambra As Father's Day Gift / Wife Ties Up Her Husband In Calabar, Attempts To Suffocate Him On Women’s Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 24, 2022

1 Like

Re: . by thesicilian: 6:48pm On Jul 24, 2022
Ladymaceral:
Even when I'm not showing it, I'm so worried.
My husband is really stubborn and wouldn't listen.

He has been on loan with some people, which he refused to pay back.
He gradually migrated to loan app some months ago. He's currently owning about 5 loan app and they've started threatening him.
He borrowed to fund his bet nija (sport betting) which has been the only problem in our home.

Since two days, he has been so cold. I know he's in a big problem. He finally opened up this morning that he borrowed 37k altogether, but due to default, everything is 87k as at today.
I ignore him and pay deaf ears to it because I've been warning him about loaning money from app.

I don't ask him for money in this house, because he doesn't always have to give and I told him not to ask me as well.

The truth is, I have up to this amount to give him before they start sending those self deforming messages to his contact.
But one thought is telling me not to involve myself in his disobedient.
I'm so sad because many of my family people will also get these messages.
Is going to be so shameful.

Please, what would you advise? Could it be this is a way to change him for good after the embarrassement ?
Matured mind please
Don't give him. He'll just mismanage it again, or pay the loan and take a much bigger one. Compulsive gamblers like that need to hit rock bottom before they can realise the extent of their problems and change for good.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: . by H0didon(m): 6:49pm On Jul 24, 2022
Betting is a very bad addiction and hard to stop unless you're serious and determined, if you think I'm lying ask @child of doom. And the funny thing about betting is that, even when you win the urge will be there for you to stake your winnings as well. And the way i am seeing it, your husband is not only irresponsible but also greedy. Because i don't know why someone will bet till he becomes a debtor. I dislike people who owe for no just reason, i hate irresponsibility.

Our elders would say "Never borrow what you can not pay back and never borrow when you have no means to pay back". Let me tell you bluntly, it'll be unwise to give your husband that money because that man will owe even more to come... I'll advise you to just leave him, let him learn the hard way. Let him suffer what he did. He deserves it, so that he will have sense cos this type of folly needs tough hands.

Meanwhile, if you know someone that you can rely on to advise him, i'd say you act fast cos that man will soon start selling your things to bet grin.

As our Ancestors would say "If as a man, you don't bet or womanize then you don't know what God has done for you".

12 Likes

Re: . by Zonefree(m): 6:51pm On Jul 24, 2022
. I'm so sad because many of my family people will also get these messages.

Don't pay the loan and don't feel bad about anything. Any member of your family that feels sad or whatever about the message they will receive should help pay the loan or better mind their business.

To help your husband pay the loan will facilitate him to borrow more and squander it on same betting. Allow him to sort his loan.

Just be buying him two bottles of beer from your money every evening to help reduce his thinking.

14 Likes

Re: . by Haliraph(m): 6:51pm On Jul 24, 2022
If your husband didn't borrow to finance something important, other than what you mentioned (Bet9ja), please leave him to his fate.
He's a chronic borrower as you stated and will still borrow more even after You've bailed him out.

7 Likes

Re: . by lilyheaven: 6:52pm On Jul 24, 2022
You advised him earlier and he didn’t adhere to your advice.
Let him face the consequences of his actions, don’t get involve.
Just tell him to take it easy, say everything will be fine last last.

7 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 24, 2022
Hmm.
I don't think in the case of loan apps - leaving your husband until he learns his lesson will work. The debt will continue to compile and God help you both that it doesn't get to the point that you both can't handle.

Since he at the moment is sober, I advice you talk sense to him this one last time. Let him know that you will clear the debt but turn a deaf ears when such arises again. Make him give you his words in the presence of an elder he holds in esteem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 24, 2022
Sport betting can be fvcking addictive...

That fvcking thought, my pay day is near...

Baba mood go just dey change everyday...
Ma'am u are a good wife, u can't help him, only him can help himself...

5 Likes

Re: . by SavageResponse(m): 7:04pm On Jul 24, 2022
Do people actually become rich from betting here in Nigeria?

Why then do people borrow to fund a betting lifestyle?

Someone should please explain the logic to me
Re: . by VeryWickedMan: 7:04pm On Jul 24, 2022
If you know that he plays bet9ja then he definitely shares winnings with you.

Re: . by OlawaleBammie: 7:11pm On Jul 24, 2022
Ladymaceral:

He gradually migrated to loan app some months ago. He's currently owning about 5 loan app and they've started threatening him.
He borrowed to fund his bet nija (sport betting) which has been the only problem in our home.

Since two days, he has been so cold. I know he's in a big problem. He finally opened up this morning that he borrowed 37k altogether, but due to default, everything is 87k as at today.
I ignore him and pay deaf ears to it because I've been warning him about loaning money from app.

I don't ask him for money in this house, because he doesn't always have to give and I told him not to ask me as well.

The truth is, I have up to this amount to give him before they start sending those self deforming messages to his contact.

Please, what would you advise? Could it be this is a way to change him for good after the embarrassement ?
Matured mind please
If all what u said here are tru then i have this to say.....See if u were to be in his position i would have told him to let u face the music alone.

Madam, let him learn his lesson in peace, u just dey look and be doing as if notin happen.. but a take God beg u no abuse him ooh, dont talk to him in an abusive manner so that he wont hold that up against u.

I hate irresponsibility, dont pay ooh, let him source for money and pay by himsef, he go learn by fire by force.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Lighthouse50: 7:12pm On Jul 24, 2022
The comments aboue deters the marital vow you made to him. You both have become one. So do to him as yourself. Truth is no one is perfect and you have your bad sides too. Those advicing you to leaue him may be enduring greater ones at home and yet cover the shame in the family. Couer up the shame and speak nonsense out of him. You can simply help him pay and tell him you borrowed the money to couer his shame and the increasing interest. Then you keep disturbing him of the money euerytime to remind him he has debt on ground. As simple as that

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: . by Mindlog: 7:15pm On Jul 24, 2022
He is a compulsive gambler as earlier mentioned, you clearing his debts would motivate him more to gamble as he would be rationalizing the gambling with the talk of paying you back.
Face front.

2 Likes

Re: . by Mariangeles(f): 7:23pm On Jul 24, 2022
Zonefree:
[b][/b]
Don't pay the loan and don't feel bad about anything. Any member of your family that feels sad or whatever about the message they will receive should help pay the loan or better mind their business.

To help your husband pay the loan will facilitate him to borrow more and squander it on same betting. Allow him to sort his loan.

Just be buying him two bottles of beer from your money every evening to help reduce his thinking.

Onye a o wu gi?
Re: . by Zonefree(m): 7:27pm On Jul 24, 2022
Mariangeles:

Onye a o wu gi?
Yes, it's me. E'nwere ihe mere?

2 Likes

Re: . by Richy4(m): 7:37pm On Jul 24, 2022
You said he doesn't give you money and you don't ask him for..So;
<<If u have kids, who pays their school fees?
<< Who pays for rent And utilities?
<< Groceries..., How do both of you navigate it if u don't ask him money and he doesn't ask you?
<< Is he the one taking care of those bills using those apps and u mistook it that he was gambling money away due to his limited resources?
<< Can you clarify those points so that people can advise u accordingly... Instead of advising based on limited information..
<<These whole thing is about money matters and it has messed up a lot of relationships..

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 24, 2022
vakjay08:
Hmm.
I don't think in the case of loan apps - leaving your husband until he learns his lesson will work. The debt will continue to compile and God help you both that it doesn't get to the point that you both can't handle.

Since he at the moment is sober, I advice you talk sense to him this one last time. [b]Let him know that you will clear the debt but turn a deaf ears when such arises again. Make him give you his words in the presence of an [/b]elder he holds in esteem.
He has given too many promises that he never kept already. Those words are not important to me anymore.
Re: . by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 24, 2022
VeryWickedMan:
If you know that he plays bet9ja then he definitely shares winnings with you.
I doubt if he has ever win. He's always in need of money. I'm the one who gives, buy I have stopped. Money doesn't join us in this house. And I've removed my mind from monentry support from him in this house.
Re: . by Samuelnze(m): 8:23pm On Jul 24, 2022
thesicilian:

Don't give him. He'll just mismanage it again, or pay the loan and take a much bigger one. Compulsive gamblers like that need to hit rock bottom before they can realise the extent of their problems and change for good.
Maybe this is the rock bottom and he has hit it, she should just give him if she has.. When the deinforming messages get to family members,she too will share in the shame.
Re: . by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 24, 2022
Richy4:
You said he doesn't give you money and you don't ask him for..So;
<<If u have kids, who pays their school fees?
<< Who pays for rent And utilities?
<< Groceries..., How do both of you navigate it if u don't ask him money and he doesn't ask you?
<< Is he the one taking care of those bills using those apps and u mistook it that he was gambling money away due to his limited resources?
<< Can you clarify those points so that people can advise u accordingly... Instead of advising based on limited information..
<<These whole thing is about money matters and it has messed up a lot of relationships..
I pay all the bills including our son's school fees. The last time, I kept mute until they drove him from school for school fees default two days to his birthday, yet my husband never care. He asked me to go to the school and beg them till month end, the following day I made the payment and told him I borrowed it from my mom. Till today, he refused to refund.

I eventually struggle to pay for everything in this house. While he keeps giving excuses.

I know he need serious help, but I can't figure out what really happened to this life that is so broken like this.

Several times, I've told him about divorce, but he kept on begging.

I'm just confused.

1 Like

Re: . by Kobojunkie: 8:44pm On Jul 24, 2022
Ladymaceral:

The truth is, I have up to this amount to give him before they start sending those self deforming messages to his contact. But one thought is telling me not to involve myself in his disobedient. I'm so sad because many of my family people will also get these messages. Is going to be so shameful.

A wife is not a savior nor a messiah to her husband so perish the thought that you can change your husband for good. it is only your husband that can do that when he is ready for that to happen to him. undecided

If you want to help pay off his debt, then be sure to get a signed agreement from him stating that he will pay you back for it. Paying off his gambling debt amounts to enabling his habit so, you should at least get something in writing to make certain all those who would have been affected - the many of my family people will also get these messages - understand that you at least tried as much to help get him free from the burden he placed on himself. And be sure to let him know that you intend to send a copy of the notarized document to all those who would have been affected in some way, so they are aware of how deep the problem is and would have gotten had you not stepped in on his behalf. Shame isn't always a bad thing... undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by Zico777(m): 8:56pm On Jul 24, 2022
Zonefree:
[b][/b]

Hmm I love this!

1 Like

Re: . by idomalord: 9:02pm On Jul 24, 2022
Ladymaceral:

Matured mind please

Stand by him.
He needs your help even though he is stubborn.
Never listen to women most especially who will tell u to leave your husband or have u forgotten, u said " for better or worse till death do u part".

Besides, if u were d 1 in problem and your husband were d 1 who could help u, would he think multiple times or advertise the matter b4 jumping in to save u

Probably he would.

But as 4 u, do d right thing.

U are also saving yourself.
Re: . by Mindlog: 9:15pm On Jul 24, 2022
idomalord:

Stand by him.
He needs your help even though he is stubborn.
Never listen to women most especially who will tell u to leave your husband or have u forgotten, u said " for better or worse till death do u part".

What other type of help do you think she has to offer to him?

1 Like

Re: . by Richy4(m): 9:40pm On Jul 24, 2022
Ladymaceral:
I pay all the bills including our son's school fees. The last time, I kept mute until they drove him from school for school fees default two days to his birthday, yet my husband never care. He asked me to go to the school and beg them till month end, the following day I made the payment and told him I borrowed it from my mom. Till today, he refused to refund.

I eventually struggle to pay for everything in this house. While he keeps giving excuses.

I know he need serious help, but I can't figure out what really happened to this life that is so broken like this.

Several times, I've told him about divorce, but he kept on begging.

I'm just confused.
@ bold, anytime you were able to figure out the root cause of the matter, that will be the beginning of your happy marriage...

It's unfortunate he wasn't coming out clean.. and u don't even know where to start from to help.. if u bail him out of this situation, how such are u that he won't incur additional debt?... Until you know where the money is been channeled to, he will keep on expecting U for help...

I wish Nigerian couple therapists have the capacity to deal with this kind of issue.. it has not escalated to bigger problem yet.. it's still on the early stage... Coming out clean with honesty on what he is struggling with, Intervention from family and friends and therapy would have helped in this case...

Good luck dear.. it's not gonna be easy.. I wish I got a Kinder and more assuring words..

1 Like

Re: . by faithfull18(f): 9:51pm On Jul 24, 2022
You really can't help someone who hasn't personally realized he needs to change. I wish you well.

3 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jul 24, 2022
faithfull18:
You really can't help someone who hasn't personally realized he needs to change. I wish you well.
Sure. True

1 Like

Re: . by Kobojunkie: 10:12pm On Jul 24, 2022
Ladymaceral:

I know he need serious help, but I can't figure out what really happened to this life that is so broken like this. Several times, I've told him about divorce, but he kept on begging. I'm just confused.
You've already become an enabler to his habit then. You forgot to mention this in your OP. I take back my previous advice and suggest instead you call a family meeting and let all those who would otherwise be shamed by his acts know exactly what the situation already is, so you all can come together to find a way to either pay off his debt and/or maybe send him to prison where he can cool off for some time. undecided

Your marriage is no longer a marriage but a joke and you shouldn't have to carry it all on your head while also working to hide what is his shame, not yours. Allow his family and friends, all those he is probably hiding this secret from, in on it so they can realize the person he is abeg. Your children, if old enough, also probably know of their father's habits - children are not as dumb as people like to think - so, your focus should be primarily on keeping them away from the toxic situation that is their dad. That alone should be enough of a job to keep you busy and not thinking of acting as savior or messiah to a grown arse man who refuses to know himself. undecided

4 Likes

Re: . by blaquebelle: 11:28pm On Jul 24, 2022
thesicilian:

Do you realise that if he hits rock bottom she's going down with him?

Madam. You're in a partnership now. Help him and pray for him. Look for other methods to help him with his addiction after this. Make sure you communicate properly.
Re: . by Kobojunkie: 11:29pm On Jul 24, 2022
blaquebelle:
How so? undecided
Re: . by blaquebelle: 11:33pm On Jul 24, 2022
Kobojunkie:
How so? undecided

The debt is going to keep accumulating and eventually hinder household activities. She also won't be excluded from any embarrassment or name calling, she would feel even worse if she really loves him. That's why it's important who you marry. Their good translates to your good and so also their bad times.
Re: . by Nobody: 6:25am On Jul 25, 2022
blaquebelle:

[b]Madam. You're in a partnership now. Help him and pray for him. Look for other methods to help him with his addiction after this. Make sure you [/b]communicate properly.
My very worry is, will it stop him from wasting money and putting us on poverty lane? Will I be the only one sourcing for money for general upkeep and also money to repay debt? Will this sacrifice change him?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Best Wedding Invitation Card ? / Wife Has abandoned me took our 2sons away ,I need ur opinion / I Have Been Childless For 12 Years, Now Two Women Are Carrying My Babies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.