Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,452 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

'I Am An Igbo Man From South-south'..h.e Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'I Am An Igbo Man From South-south'..h.e Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa (305 Views)

Where Is Former Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa? / "There Is Nothing Like Delta Igbo, Igbo Is Igbo"~governor Ifeanyi Okowa Of Delta / Throwback Photo Of Governor Ifeanyi Okowa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'I Am An Igbo Man From South-south'..h.e Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa by jadic: 10:35pm On Jul 25, 2022
Let me try to put his submission in context. Historically speaking the origins of the people who occupy Delta North Senatorial district, South-South Nigeria, collectively referred to as the Anioma people can be traced back to two extreme tendencies. Migration of people westwards from the ancient Kingdom of Nri, which is in present day Anambra State, South-Eastern Nigeria and migration eastwards from the ancient Kingdom of Benin in present day Edo State, South-South Nigeria. The incredible convergence of these two tendencies within the lush fertile plains of the Anioma area gave birth to a unique blend of people who took the best of both worlds, Igbo and Benin. This uniquely blended people created for themselves independent city states that exist till this day across the Delta North Senatorial district. However at that time in order to protect themselves lacking any form of defensive capacity they made a strategic decision to align themselves with the powerful Benin Kingdom and its Oba.
Thus ceding some of their independence becoming something akin to vassals states. Overtime, desirous of their full independence, having built up their defensive capacities, these city states sought for themselves Kings, as the Israelites of the Bible did. Understanding that a King would be a rallying point, a symbol of authority, power, influence and would ensure their longevity as a people. Lacking any form of royalty within their rank and file they sought royalty from the pool of the Benin dynasty. So with the blessing of the all powerful Oba who was all too pleased to release his sons to establish thrones within these city states thus creating a bond that exists till this day between them and the Benin kingdom. So it is safe to say that the headship of all these ancient kingdoms that exist today within Delta North Senatorial district are exclusively from Benin kingdom, while the genealogy of the followership is of Igbo and Benin stock. It reflects in their names; Okafor, Okorie, Okoro, Chukwuma, Ifeanyi.....Igbo. Osamor, Idehen, Irabor, Iduh, Edobor.....Benin. Even in their festivals and titles there is a blend of the Igbo and Benin.
The Governor's statement is historically factual and not in anyway political chicanery as is being suggested in some quarters. After all Blacks in America still refer to themselves as African-American when in most cases they are 10-15 times removed from the motherland. In my opinion the Governor is well within his right to call himself an Igbo man from the South-South as it is highly probable that some of his ancestors were from the ancient Nri Kingdom in present day Anambra State South-Eastern Nigeria!
D.K Jadicsmashy
Re: 'I Am An Igbo Man From South-south'..h.e Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa by ThrownBack: 10:36pm On Jul 25, 2022
We don't doubt that. You can be an Eskimo from Iceland, what we are dealing with is not the issues of tribe and who comes from whee, we are treating competence issues here.

Your principal cannot rule while the south hasn't taken their own turn. PDP must respect the south east by giving them a ticket.

We're all voting LP. Bothe hausas, Igbos and yorubas, edos, fulanis and anangs, ijaws, nupes and igbiras, idomas, chambas and kalabaris, biroms, Tivs and efiks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'I Am An Igbo Man From South-south'..h.e Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 25, 2022
Peter Obi carry supporters.
Re: 'I Am An Igbo Man From South-south'..h.e Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 25, 2022
Bravo!

1 Like

Re: 'I Am An Igbo Man From South-south'..h.e Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa by paramakina202: 10:44pm On Jul 25, 2022
Okowa is a Igboman no doubt but we should leave it at that than creating threads over his ethnicity every now and then.
Re: 'I Am An Igbo Man From South-south'..h.e Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa by cRobo: 11:03pm On Jul 25, 2022
So?
Re: 'I Am An Igbo Man From South-south'..h.e Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 25, 2022
paramakina202:
Okowa is a Igboman no doubt but we should leave it at that than creating threads over his ethnicity every now and then.

grin cheesy
Re: 'I Am An Igbo Man From South-south'..h.e Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa by paramakina202: 11:23pm On Jul 25, 2022
Thanksful:

grin cheesy

Wetin dey funny for my comment?
Re: 'I Am An Igbo Man From South-south'..h.e Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 25, 2022
paramakina202:

Wetin dey funny for my comment?

Which one be make he no dey disturb us with his ethnicity? tongue
Re: 'I Am An Igbo Man From South-south'..h.e Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa by paramakina202: 11:33pm On Jul 25, 2022
Thanksful:

Which one be make he no dey disturb us with his ethnicity? tongue

Na advise o but discussing his ethnicity is unnecessary distraction.Ifeanyi Okowa by name doesn't even need to introduce himself as an Igboman but Nigeria is a place where truth is turn upside down.

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu's Running Mate Rejects Restructuring / 2023: Pandora Papers, Taxation And Obi’s Chances / Uduak Akpan A Rapist And Murderer Try To Esape After Judge Sentence Him To Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.