Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,507 members, 7,830,518 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

9 Ways You Can Protect Your Kidneys From Getting Damaged - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 9 Ways You Can Protect Your Kidneys From Getting Damaged (394 Views)

Bill To Prevent Medical Doctors From Getting Licence Till After 5 Years / Prevent Coronavirus From Getting To Nigeria - Senate Says FG Not Doing Enough / Stop These 8 Habits, They Damage Your Kidneys! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

9 Ways You Can Protect Your Kidneys From Getting Damaged by HazleMarvle: 9:47am On Jul 26, 2022
Do you know that one Guy at the group project who makes sure everyone performs optimally in the role assigned to them? That friend who cleans up after a house party so the apartment remains habitable? Well, that's essentially what your kidneys do for the other organs of the body (not a perfect analogy I know, but you get the picture right?).

The human kidneys are paired structures, tucked away retroperitoneally in the abdomen, constantly working day and night for our good. This organ mops up terrible toxins and waste products and removes them through the urine they produce, maintains water balance, acid-base balance, electrolyte balance, blood pressure, and secretes important hormones needed for human survival and function. Both kidneys contain about 3.6 million nephrons which are the functional units (this number varies widely among different individuals).

The kidneys are very IMPORTANT, once both are permanently damaged, it is nearly impossible to survive unless medicine intervenes (really expensive medical care I must add). The subtlety, complexity, and progressive nature of some of these kidney diseases also compound the problem. However, it is possible to prevent the kidneys from getting damaged, and also possible to slow down the progression to permanent kidney failure if it begins. In this post, I've highlighted nine (9) simple, practicable, and highly rewarding changes we can make to protect our kidneys:

•Stop holding your urine for long periods: Holding that urine for an extended period without urinating will create an opportunity for bacteria to grow within the urinary tract. This can lead to recurrent urinary infections and damage to the kidneys. So please, when next that urge to void comes, let it flow.

•Drink enough water: Dehydration can affect the process of urine formation and the removal of waste products. It also affects the volume of blood getting to the kidneys and causes kidney stones which are terrible for kidney function. Drinking about 2-4 liters of water (8-10 glasses) has been studied to be adequate, stay rehydrated guys.

•Control hypertension, diabetes, and other medical conditions: Some of the most common causes of renal failure are poorly controlled medical conditions such as hypertension, and diabetes mellitus. Be sure to take your prescribed medications if you're managing these conditions, do not miss clinic appointments, and always monitor your blood pressure, blood sugar levels, and renal function. Take care of your health.

•Stop smoking and drinking: Smoking and excessive consumption of alcohol can increase the risk of kidney disease, and liver disease. Remember, you don't need them to function, I'll advise you to stop now. If you're struggling with addiction, contact the nearest healthcare facility for help and guidance.

•Don't abuse Drugs: Indiscriminate use of Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and certain antibiotics can damage your kidneys too as they are nephrotoxic. It is safe (and wise) to always get prescriptions from well-trained medical personnel before using any drug.

•Treat all infections appropriately: Poorly treated infections can also damage your kidneys, so please treat all infections (especially urinary tract infections) promptly and properly. Present to a healthcare facility as soon as you notice any symptoms and get the best care.

•Stop using those Herbal medications: Herbal drugs can't cure everything, they are not safe, stop using them. The kidneys filter every substance that enters the body and are particularly vulnerable to harmful agents (yes! those herbal medications can be very toxic).

•Cut down on salt intake and refined sugar consumption: It is safe to say that eating healthy is the only way. Excessive dietary salts can lead to (and also) complicate hypertension, same for sugar in diabetes, and both can contribute to kidney failure.

•Exercise often and Rest well: Daily exercise and quality rest ensure you remain in shape. It improves cardiac and skeletal function, lowers high blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and also prevents insulin resistance. All these are good for your kidneys and overall health.

Chronic Kidney disease is a multifactorial entity, there is so little we can do in certain instances but we can at least try. Make an effort to become more intentional with your 'health-care' today.

Let me know your contributions and questions in the comment section and please share with your friends and loved ones. Be safe.

https://www.premierupdate.com.ng/2022/07/9-ways-you-can-protect-your-kidneys_26.html

1 Share

Re: 9 Ways You Can Protect Your Kidneys From Getting Damaged by Xscape047: 10:12am On Jul 26, 2022
The solutions to a Problem is another Problem

(1) (Reply)

How To Solve This Infection Problem On My D*ick )) / Nairaland Please I Beg, Gerd Want To Kill Me Like Foul. Please!!! / 10 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Stomach Ache

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.