Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos (6107 Views)

Tinubu scores once again as Fashola emerge SGF / Lagos Flood: Fashola Declares Monday Public Holiday / Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Sunofgod(m): 8:34pm On Jul 31, 2011
Thursday, July 28, 2011

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jul/28/501.html

The burden created by the payment of the N18, 000 new minimum wage recently approved by the Federal Government, appears to have weighed down on the finances of the Lagos State Government as the state Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola has imposed some austerity measures to cut cost of running government in the state.

Daily Sun learnt in an executive order circulated by the state government that the new austerity measures, such as discontinuation of oversea trips for government officials, television set/decoders, subsidy on petroleum products, money spent on frills and jamborees T-shirts/caps, food, car maintenance, among others have been banned.

The executive order dated July 12 sent to the Lagos Head of Service, Mr. Adeseye Ogunlewe, ministries, departments and agencies specifically stated that the measures were first in the series of more measures to be introduced by the state government.

Amid lamentation over the measures the governor said: “It has become expedient for the state government to strictly monitor the way money is spent on governance as the impact of the minimum wage will no longer permit excessive spending by the government.

“The minimum wage has depleted the fund available to the government for social services by N2 billion every month.

“From all computations, the Lagos government will need between N5.5 billion and N7 billion to pay its over 50, 000 workers and political appointees against a monthly revenue profile of between N18 billion and N20 billion. Salaries will gulp about 40 per cent of the state’s expenditure.”

He stated that: “The overall impact is that government spending on wages and emoluments have increased by about N2 billion.

“The implications are that government is deprived of financial resources that were hitherto deployed to the funding of social services such as schools, water supply, waste management security and other amenities which helped to improved the lives of citizens.”

It was clearly stated that the governor had scrapped the grants for supports for private or individual problems or sponsorships, except for very deserving educational and medical causes.

Fashola explained that the austerity measures does not affect bursary and scholarships to deserving students but warned that conscientious efforts would be made to reduce the training of personnel home and abroad
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by dplordx(m): 11:36pm On Jul 31, 2011
Sun of god:

“From all computations, the Lagos government will need between N5.5 billion and N7 billion to pay its over 50, 000 workers and political appointees against a monthly revenue profile of between N18 billion and N20 billion. Salaries will gulp about 40 per cent of the state’s expenditure.”

Oh please BRF! You are paying just about 7,000 workers the newly adopted minimum wage. Lagos is the first state to commit a fraud that limits the minimum wage to some levels of works while some are denied. The only beneficiaries are the top-echelons and not the mid and low workers. Shame on LAG! angry
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 12:08am On Aug 01, 2011
Sun of god:

“From all computations, the Lagos government will need between N5.5 billion and N7 billion to pay its over [size=14pt]50, 000 workers [/size]and political appointees against a monthly revenue profile of between N18 billion and N20 billion. Salaries will gulp about 40 per cent of the state’s expenditure.”
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Sunofgod(m): 7:57am On Aug 01, 2011
Fashola - Bring on the 'Tax Rises'. . , . . . .
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by russellino: 11:14am On Aug 01, 2011
Sun of god:

Fashola - Bring on the 'Tax Rises'. . , . . . .

O boy stop am o ! I'm already paying more than 10% on my monthly salary. after everything i still have to drive through river lekki to get home and buy fuel for my generator
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by phantom(m): 12:19pm On Aug 01, 2011
russellino:

O boy stop am o ! I'm already paying more than 10% on my monthly salary. after everything i still have to drive through river lekki to get home and buy fuel for my generator
grin grin grin grin
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by ak47mann(m): 12:59pm On Aug 01, 2011
russellino:

cheesy cheesy
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by otokx(m): 1:28pm On Aug 01, 2011
Media illusions.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by daik(m): 2:08pm On Aug 01, 2011
Fela, where art thou?,
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by donugapi(m): 2:16pm On Aug 01, 2011
I dey laugh ooooooo!!
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by claremont(m): 2:22pm On Aug 01, 2011
russellino:

LWKMD!!! cheesy grin grin
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Koolking(m): 2:22pm On Aug 01, 2011
This automatically means, fash has stopped working. It is now crystal clear he was overrated. This is lame excuse for bad governance. More hardship in the offing.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by daniellle(f): 2:30pm On Aug 01, 2011
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Tolulop001(f): 2:31pm On Aug 01, 2011
Austerity measures are not a new thing. Why are you all crying?
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Mynd44: 2:32pm On Aug 01, 2011
Koolking:

This automatically means, fash has stopped working. It is now crystal clear he was overrated. This is lame excuse for bad governance. More hardship in the offing.

HATER!!!!!!
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Imagineers: 3:10pm On Aug 01, 2011
Increase in salary=increase in tax
20% of whatever Fashola pays out comes back as P.A.Y.E.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Koolking(m): 3:21pm On Aug 01, 2011
Mynd_44:

HATER!!!!!!

Nope! but critic of bad governance.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by EvilBrain1(m): 3:22pm On Aug 01, 2011
Are all of you people reetarded? Can't you understand simple logic? If you increase salaries without raising taxes, then cuts will have to be made elsewhere. The money isn't going to fall from heaven.

Fashola is the only leader to talk sense since this wage crisis began. Everybody else (including GEJ who caused the problem) seems to be completely clueless. Part of the reason why Lagos state is doing so well is because salaries only take a small percentage of revenues leaving plenty of money to build roads and equip hospitals. Now, thanks to Jonathan, all the states will be more like the useless federal government that spends nearly everything on recurrent expenditure then gives us stuupid excuses for why there's no light.

Its like you people prefer leaders that will tell you lies and use voodoo economics to decieve you. like GEJ that signed the wage bill without making provision to pay the money, what a m0r0n!
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by blank(f): 3:28pm On Aug 01, 2011
@ Evil Brain, I already pay 22% of my monthly income as tax and u want Fashola to increase taxes, U are really wicked. This is apart from Service charge, VAT, road toll, car park charge, Fuel charge, water charge, agbero charge, etc. Na wah to u o. cry cry cry

In Uk that the effective tax is almost 40%, they don't have to provide their own road, electricity, water, etc. I will soon enter business and take my chances with their stupid Tax force (LIRS).
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by dustydee: 3:28pm On Aug 01, 2011
Good move. well done BRF, I hope other Govs will take note.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by EkoIle1: 3:31pm On Aug 01, 2011
blank:

@ Evil Brain, I already pay 22% of my monthly income as tax and u want Fashola to increase taxes, U are really wicked. This is apart from Service charge, VAT, road toll, car park charge, Fuel charge, water charge, agbero charge, etc. Na wah to u o. cry cry cry

In Uk that the effective tax is almost 40%, they don't have to provide their own road, electricity, water, etc. I will soon enter business and take my chances with their silly Tax force (LIRS).

It's really not by force to live in Lagos you know.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by montelik(m): 3:33pm On Aug 01, 2011
russellino:

ROTFLMAO. grin.

Better pray that you will be rich enough to be paying 50%, like some in d U.K.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by EkoIle1: 3:34pm On Aug 01, 2011
Evil Brain:

Are all of you people reetarded? Can't you understand simple logic? If you increase salaries without raising taxes, then cuts will have to be made elsewhere. The money isn't going to fall from heaven.

Fashola is the only leader to talk sense since this wage crisis began. Everybody else (including GEJ who caused the problem) seems to be completely clueless. Part of the reason why Lagos state is doing so well is because salaries only take a small percentage revenues leaving plenty of money to build roads and equip hospitals. Now, thanks to Jonathan, all the states will be more like the useless federal government that spends nearly everything on recurrent expenditure then gives us stuupid excuses for why there's no light.

Its like you people prefer leaders that will tell you lies and use voodoo economics to decieve you. like GEJ that signed the wage bill without making provision to pay the money, what a m0r0n!

Took these words right out of my mouth.

I'm telling you, that clueless and incompetent GEJ is killing Nigeria. The clueless man did the same thing when he set and forced Federal Doctors Salary on the states knowing that many of these states can not afford the huge Doctors salary. That silly move caused medical strikes all over the country and many Nigerians died needlessly because of that dum.b and thoughtless move.

Asking these incompetent people to run a nursery school is criminal talk less a whole country.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by EkoIle1: 3:34pm On Aug 01, 2011
With the silly and thoughtless sentiments echoed by many ignorant people in this thread, we now see why Lagos is always ahead of these posters and their backward villages, even ahead of Abuja itself.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by grabdbull: 3:50pm On Aug 01, 2011
This is indeed the sensible thing to do. Cut avenues for waste and channel funds to where they are needed. Ride on. Fashola.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by blank(f): 4:06pm On Aug 01, 2011
He should leave tax matter and trim waste like he is doing now. All those shouting that he should tax are not even living in Nigeria.

Anywayz, Fashola does not have the power to increase PAYE but can send his agberos to harass us for nonsense tolls which is what i am upset about.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by chines4(m): 4:23pm On Aug 01, 2011
Why are some pple asking for Fashola's head, He just trying to cut cost, and should be commended
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by KDULAR: 4:24pm On Aug 01, 2011
Let them critics and haters give pragmatic alternatives. Besides no be by force to stay for Lagos .You calling LIRS agberos  means you don't willingly pay your tax and thus need to be coarsed  (eranko) grin grin. Like it or hate it Lagos 'll continue to blaze the trail cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by SUV(f): 4:30pm On Aug 01, 2011
This is indeed the sensible thing to do. Cut avenues for waste and channel funds to where they are needed. Ride on. Fashola.

Sensible post.

Fashola is the only Gov with realistic plan on measures to take to still keep up with good work while implementing the minimum wage. Even the president is clueless.

Fash 2015 (for six yrs of single term)!
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by martinosi: 4:45pm On Aug 01, 2011
I not going to critiize Fashola, but i am kind of concerned
about all this Austerity talk. His sounding like his
counterparts in the UK.

Not good at all, !!!
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by dayokanu(m): 5:00pm On Aug 01, 2011
Good one Fashola
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by BigMeat2: 5:11pm On Aug 01, 2011
Daylight robbery on the workers without using any weapon.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obasanjo Bombs Jonathan Again: Your Evil Actions Destroying Nigeria / Buhari's Aides Spotted Moving Out Things From Aso Rock (happening Now / Breaking News In Ukanafun L.G.A. & Etim Ekpo L.G.A. Both in Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.