Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,330 members, 7,836,397 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos (6122 Views)

Tinubu scores once again as Fashola emerge SGF / Lagos Flood: Fashola Declares Monday Public Holiday / Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by EvilBrain1(m): 5:11pm On Aug 01, 2011
blank:

@ Evil Brain, I already pay 22% of my monthly income as tax and u want Fashola to increase taxes, U are really wicked. This is apart from Service charge, VAT, road toll, car park charge, Fuel charge, water charge, agbero charge, etc. Na wah to u o. cry cry cry

In Uk that the effective tax is almost 40%, they don't have to provide their own road, electricity, water, etc. I will soon enter business and take my chances with their silly Tax force (LIRS).

I never said they should increase taxes. Only that higher wages automatically means less money for public works unless you raise taxes. you can't eat your cake and have it.

What they should be doing is trying to reduce the cost of government like Fashola is doing instead of raising salaries. Salary increases are the ultimate form of voodoo economics. They only cause inflation while at the same time reducing the goverment's ability to grow the economy.

Leave salaries where they are and use the money to build roads, railways and provide electricity. Everybody will get richer while earning the same amount. Nigerians are more than capable of lifting themselves out of poverty as long as the economic foundation is sound. We don't need government handouts.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by POTUT(m): 5:36pm On Aug 01, 2011
Posted by: Evil Brain
Insert Quote
Are all of you people reetarded? Can't you understand simple logic? If you increase salaries without raising taxes, then cuts will have to be made elsewhere. The money isn't going to fall from heaven.

Fashola is the only leader to talk sense since this wage crisis began. Everybody else (including GEJ who caused the problem) seems to be completely clueless. Part of the reason why Lagos state is doing so well is because salaries only take a small percentage of revenues leaving plenty of money to build roads and equip hospitals. Now, thanks to Jonathan, all the states will be more like the useless federal government that spends nearly everything on recurrent expenditure then gives us stuupid excuses for why there's no light.

Its like you people prefer leaders that will tell you lies and use voodoo economics to decieve you. like GEJ that signed the wage bill without making provision to pay the money, what a m0r0n!

Leave GEJ out of this! He does not make laws, you forgot it was the NA that made the law and GEJ only signed it?

The same NA is composed of people representing people from all parts of the country. Stop this ignorance please, or do you want GEJ to be remembered as the President that refused to sign Bills into law?
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by ola4yinka(m): 5:47pm On Aug 01, 2011
Please pay,
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by delala: 5:48pm On Aug 01, 2011
I don't have a problem with cutting costs. Very sensible. However, with the figures stated each month, I honestly wonder where the rest is spent. I'm also certain it is for the benefit of the Tinubu/Fashola led elite few. A billion dollars to spend each year, assuming we are given the right figures, is a lot to have made some serious significant changes. Quality of education is still horrible, after 4 years Fashola can't even dare to send any of his kids to public schools, Health is messed up, the roads are bad, insecurity at its peak and unemployment is high. Not to speak of power and accommodation.

I say all these with the majority poor and working class in mind. The argument that the federal government is to blame is invalid, else there would be no point having state governors elected to see to the immediate needs of the people. Researching the so called work done and the amount spent on them, the financial disparity is glaring. Furthermore most of the projects are either hugely inadequate and selective for their purposes or fleeting in lifetime but alive enough for the 'ACN is working' propaganda. If only they can divert the funds spent on PR to more important stuffs.

Nigeria can only get worse with the attitude and comments being displayed on social forums. The hate for OBJ shouldn't translate to the love for these thieves. Politics of issues rather than politics of sentiments, is needed.

ACN has shown to be more dangerous than PDP. PDP is packed with corrupt individuals and election fraudsters. ACN goes a bit further. In addition to the qualities of PDP, ACN is autocratic, aggressive, hypocritical and packed with judicial fraudsters. The two parties have been able to get away with these atrocities because Nigerians in general, including a high percentage of those that believe they are well educated, are not enlightened.

Frankly I'm scared of CPC. And that's because of their aggression and incendiary attributes. The last thing a country needs is ethnic aggravation. Simply put, Fashola is overrated, nigerians should start talking about issues and choose leaders on merit and I am yet to see anyone give me a list of Fashola's 'Qualitative' achievements
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Sunofgod(m): 6:39pm On Aug 01, 2011
delala:

I don't have a problem with cutting costs. Very sensible. However, with the figures stated each month, I honestly wonder where the rest is spent. I'm also certain it is for the benefit of the Tinubu/Fashola led elite few. A billion dollars to spend each year, assuming we are given the right figures, is a lot to have made some serious significant changes. Quality of education is still horrible, after 4 years Fashola can't even dare to send any of his kids to public schools, Health is messed up, the roads are bad, insecurity at its peak and unemployment is high. Not to speak of power and accommodation.

I say all these with the majority poor and working class in mind. The argument that the federal government is to blame is invalid, else there would be no point having state governors elected to see to the immediate needs of the people. Researching the so called work done and the amount spent on them, the financial disparity is glaring. Furthermore most of the projects are either hugely inadequate and selective for their purposes or fleeting in lifetime but alive enough for the 'ACN is working' propaganda. If only they can divert the funds spent on PR to more important stuffs.

Nigeria can only get worse with the attitude and comments being displayed on social forums. The hate for OBJ shouldn't translate to the love for these thieves. Politics of issues rather than politics of sentiments, is needed.

ACN has shown to be more dangerous than PDP. PDP is packed with corrupt individuals and election fraudsters. ACN goes a bit further. In addition to the qualities of PDP, ACN is autocratic, aggressive, hypocritical and packed with judicial fraudsters. The two parties have been able to get away with these atrocities because Nigerians in general, including a high percentage of those that believe they are well educated, are not enlightened.

Frankly I'm scared of CPC. And that's because of their aggression and incendiary attributes. The last thing a country needs is ethnic aggravation. Simply put, Fashola is overrated, nigerians should start talking about issues and choose leaders on merit and I am yet to see anyone give me a list of Fashola's 'Qualitative' achievements

Powerful Words - (Maybe Lagos is now ripe for APGA to move in?)
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by EvilBrain1(m): 6:50pm On Aug 01, 2011
POTUT:

Leave GEJ out of this! He does not make laws, you forgot it was the NA that made the law and GEJ only signed it?

The same NA is composed of people representing people from all parts of the country. Stop this ignorance please, or do you want GEJ to be remembered as the President that refused to sign Bills into law?

Erm, I don't know where you went to secondary school, but it seems you don't understand how your government works.

FYI, the president does make laws. In fact, the majority of bills that become law are written and sponsored by the executive. Its also the president's duty to veto (i.e. refuse to sign)any bill that he believes is not in the interest of the nation.

So what if the wage bill was written by the national assembly (and I'm not even sure if that's true), its still GEJ's job to read the thing and use his brain to figure out whether its good or bad before he puts his signature.

Only a m0r0n signs something when he'd not sure what it means.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Nija4Life(m): 7:12pm On Aug 01, 2011
It's absurd that a country like Nigeria is crying wolf over a paltry 18,000 Naira minimum wage. How anyone can survive on that amount is beyond me and yet we have state and federal governments moaning about their inability to pay it. If as a nation our govts claim they can't pay it then they might as well close shop because this is getting beyond ridiculous.

Please read my blog for this and other issues discussed: http://apenandaheart..com/
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by EvilBrain1(m): 7:38pm On Aug 01, 2011
Nija4Life:

It's absurd that a country like Nigeria is crying wolf over a paltry 18,000 Naira minimum wage. How anyone can survive on that amount is beyond me and yet we have state and federal governments moaning about their inability to pay it. If as a nation our govts claim they can't pay it then they might as well close shop because this is getting beyond ridiculous.

Please read my blog for this and other issues discussed: http://apenandaheart..com/

You're living in lala land. The reality is the government simply cannot afford to pay the kind of wages you seem to want without seriously cutting staff (not a bad idea, actually) or seriously increasing taxes. There simply isn't enough money.

If Lagos, one of the richest states is struggling to pay N18,000, how do you expect boondock states like Bauchi and co to cope?

Face facts, Nigeria is a poor country. You can't change that with the stroke of a pen. Instead about whining about low wages, why don't you try and make your government more efficient and less corrupt?
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by hercules07: 7:42pm On Aug 01, 2011
I wonder why people are complaining, it is simple logic, if your responsibilities increase, you will need to cut waste, infact, you will need to forego some things, Fashola is saying and doing the right things, let GEJ emulate him by reducing waste at the federal level.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by donguutti: 8:16pm On Aug 01, 2011
this a great step forward, eliminating waste, is not better that a few thousand workers get the money than dishing out for thing such as caps , vests , fuel subsidy(on a state level!!! ),etc i think this minimum wage would at least lead to reductions in amount that goes into unnecessary expenditure which encourages corruption.

on the states that say they cant pay minimum wage, its just a distraction, many states tell us how they receive x billions as monthly allocation and have to pay almost xbillions as, salaries,they want to make us believe that federal allocations re their only sources of revenue,,,, look at rivers for example the guvnor says his monthly wage bill and allocation are 10bn and 13bn respectively, but his budget is 400bn, that means that the state get another 200bn+from other sources of revenue,and its same for other states or can the money from other sources of revenue not be added to pay workers, the only states to be exempted are those where the wage bill takes >50% of all revenue not just fed allocations.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by tofeenab(m): 8:18pm On Aug 01, 2011
look at rivers for example the guvnor says his monthly wage bill and allocation are 10bn and 13bn respectively, but his budget is 400bn, that means that the state get another 200bn+from other sources of revenue,and its same for other states or can the money from other sources of revenue not be added to pay workers, the only states to be exempted are those where the wage bill takes >50% of all revenue not just fed allocations.

Rivers states have just won more oil blocks from Akwa Ibom, I believe they dont have any excuse at all!
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by kurus: 9:22pm On Aug 01, 2011
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by seguno2: 9:36pm On Aug 01, 2011
delala:

Thanks for your eloquent contribution.
I ask again why can't progressive Fashola provide potable water across Lagos State as well as good quality free education and free basic health as Jakande did with less money Abi water na also GEJ dey responsible

kurus:

Maybe if Fashola and Tinubu stop the stealing that goes on for every naira the states earns in the form of:

1. 10% deduction of any tax dollar collected by Alpha Beta Company(aka Oju yobo shop)
2. eliminate the need for tax consultants to be collecting tax on behalf of the state government
3. Stop overinflation of government contracts(all contracts given by Fashola government can be easily discounted by 50% and there will still be money to implement the job)
4. Prosecute any rich nigerian living in lagos who cannot pay tax
5. Tighten all areas of tax leakages such as agberos and touts collectign tax on behalf of the state government

There are so many other ways to increase tax Collection. They dont need to increase the tax rate, just close up all the leaks being siphoned off by cronies of fashola and tinubu.

Dat na the koko of the matter.
And what about the LG chairmen and councillors as well as legislators from ACN who are just loafing and collecting humonguous remuneration from the mugus and magas working hard to pay their taxes in Lagos Not concerned by BRF's austerity measures?
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Jenifa1: 11:00pm On Aug 01, 2011
Money doesn't fall from the sky. If u add somewhere, you have to cut somewhere else.
and fashola is trying to cut waste in govt. that is very commendable.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by hrhjnr(m): 11:14pm On Aug 01, 2011
montelik:

ROTFLMAO. grin.

Better pray that you will be rich enough to be paying 50%, like some in d U.K.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Nija4Life(m): 11:53pm On Aug 01, 2011
Evil Brain:

You're living in lala land. The reality is the government simply cannot afford to pay the kind of wages you seem to want without seriously cutting staff (not a bad idea, actually) or seriously increasing taxes. There simply isn't enough money.

If Lagos, one of the richest states is struggling to pay N18,000, how do you expect boondock states like Bauchi and co to cope?

Face facts, Nigeria is a poor country. You can't change that with the stroke of a pen. Instead about whining about low wages, why don't you try and make your government more efficient and less corrupt?

Well I'm not living in lala land like you seem to suggest. I live in the real world where we have a country that receives hundreds of billions of dollars in oil revenue and yet we cannot pay our public servants 18,000 Naira. You seem to contradict yourself; on one hand you say there isn't enough money and yet on the other hand you blame it on waste and corruption. Who's responsible for waste? The govt. Who are the main culprits of corruption? The govt ofcourse. The truth is that there is enough money in Nigeria to pay workers a decent wage. Your argument is a hard one to sell I’m afraid unless you work for the govt.

It’s easy for you to say cutting down on staff is not a bad idea but you forget these are people who depend on their jobs for a living. We don’t have social security like they do in the west and a very small private sector, so what do they fall back on? Maybe our govts need to start becoming more open and accountable, stop paying themselves ridiculous amounts of money and allowances that goes in different names such as security vote, estacodes, cut down on their retinue of needless aides and advisers etc. If they do so, I’m sure they’ll find more than enough money to look after their own people.

http://apenandaheart..com/
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 11:57pm On Aug 01, 2011
delala:

SPEAK!!! grin grin grin
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by jason123: 12:03am On Aug 02, 2011
seguno2:

Thanks for your eloquent contribution.
I ask again why can't progressive Fashola provide potable water across Lagos State as well as good quality free education and free basic health as Jakande did with less money Abi water na also GEJ dey responsible

You have to agree that your statement makes little sense.
What was the population of Lagos during Jakanda's era?? Can you compare that to today's population?? Do you know that 18million people reside in the smallest state in Nigeria while this same state is being paid for 10 million or so people
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 12:05am On Aug 02, 2011
jason123:

What was the population of Lagos during Jakanda's era?? Can you compare that to today's population?? Do you know that 18million people reside in the smallest state in Nigeria while this same state is being paid for 10 million or so people

Learn to read. The guy you responded to was CLEAR in his ENGLISH.

If you do not understand or need clarification, ASK QUESTIONS INSTEAD. Not post dummy retorts in ATTACK of what you clearly do not grasp.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by jason123: 12:18am On Aug 02, 2011
Kobojunkie:

If you do not understand or need clarification, ASK QUESTIONS INSTEAD. Not post dummy retorts in ATTACK of what you clearly do not grasp.

Who is this frustrated woman?? Abeg, I no get time for your "back and forth" argument!!! Comot for road jor!!!
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 12:26am On Aug 02, 2011
jason123:

Who is this frustrated woman?? Abeg, I no get time for your "back and forth" argument!!! Comot for road jor!!!
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]If you do not understand or need clarification, ASK QUESTIONS INSTEAD. Not post dummy retorts in ATTACK of what you clearly do not grasp. [/size]
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by seguno2: 1:23pm On Aug 02, 2011
jason123:

FYI the population was about 5-6m so it has tripled to 15-18m now.
Meanwhile internally generated revenue IGR (taxes, sundry levies, fines etc) has gone up by multiple thousands (X,000s) since 1983 meaning greater tax burden on Lagosians.
This is in addition to increased federal allocation due to more money from Niger Delta fuel selling at higher dollar rate and for many more barrels per day.
So tell BRF and BAT to stop thinking we are fools and spinning us nonsense statitistics of population growth as if only Lagos has had increased population. They should focus on the suggestion below instead of stealing Lagos blind:

Nija4Life:

Well I'm not living in lala land like you seem to suggest. I live in the real world where we have a country that receives hundreds of billions of dollars in oil revenue and yet we cannot pay our public servants 18,000 Naira. You seem to contradict yourself; on one hand you say there isn't enough money and yet on the other hand you blame it on waste and corruption. Who's responsible for waste? The govt. Who are the main culprits of corruption? The govt ofcourse. The truth is that there is enough money in Nigeria to pay workers a decent wage. Your argument is a hard one to sell I’m afraid unless you work for the govt.

It’s easy for you to say cutting down on staff is not a bad idea but you forget these are people who depend on their jobs for a living. We don’t have social security like they do in the west and a very small private sector, so what do they fall back on? Maybe our govts need to start becoming more open and accountable, stop paying themselves ridiculous amounts of money and allowances that goes in different names such as security vote, estacodes, cut down on their retinue of needless aides and advisers etc. If they do so, I’m sure they’ll find more than enough money to look after their own people.

http://apenandaheart..com/

Jason needs to ask himself or his parents and/or grandparents how come people could live on their legitimate wages (no egunje) up to the early 1980s but cannot do so now Yet we have more forex earnings from Niger Delta oil.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 02, 2011
Hmmm
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by hercules07: 1:58pm On Aug 02, 2011
Can Segun02 tell us the inflation rate compared to Jakande's time, while he is at it, can he tell us the exchange rate as well? One area that Fashhola done well is in the area of potable water provisioning through the establishment of mini water works.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by hackney(m): 2:05pm On Aug 02, 2011
If fashola cuts all the frills in civil service he might be able to pay the minimum wage.
there's a lot of fund wasteing in nigeria if you look very close.

All the free medical health bills, cars, housing, coperate parties in the name of meetings,travel, all for those people that can already
afford them should be scapped.
that will be a good start.
He can also look at ghost workers' issues. the civil service domain is infested by it.

To think about it, N18,000 minimum wage is paltry. i wonder what it was before now.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 02, 2011
hackney:

If fashola cuts all the frills in civil service he might be able to pay the minimum wage.
there's a lot of fund wasteing in nigeria if you look very close.

All the free medical health bills, cars, housing, coperate parties in the name of meetings,travel, all for those people that can already
afford them should be scapped.
that will be a good start.
He can also look at ghost workers' issues. the civil service domain is infested by it.

To think about it, N18,000 minimum wage is paltry. i wonder what it was before now.
just under 10k
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by hercules07: 2:48pm On Aug 02, 2011
I hope people are aware that it is not only those on minimum wage that will have their salaries increased, others too will be having their salaries increased, once you move the salaries benchmark, you move all the steps as well.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by blank(f): 4:45pm On Aug 02, 2011
Please, reduce waste by reducing the amount politicians get in the name of being special advisers and such thrash.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by badesco(m): 6:54pm On Aug 02, 2011
@ Eko ile. It's really not by force to live in Lagos you know.

So you mean, even those that are born and bread in  Lagos should live Lagos for where? always think before you speak. it is an advice.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by redsun(m): 7:04pm On Aug 02, 2011
badesco:

@ Eko ile. It's really not by force to live in Lagos you know.

So you mean, even those that are born and bread in  Lagos should live Lagos for where? always think before you speak. it is an advice.

It like the kind talk one hears from far right europeans and ameican about foreigners in their land,far right wackos like the norway terrorist.

Some dumb nigerians don't even understand the meaning of nationhood and citizenship.I wonder how one will begin to explain to the so-called educated ones what it is all about?
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by redsun(m): 7:09pm On Aug 02, 2011
Fashola sholud focus on exposing the ghost workers which is very common in lagos,both federal and state level,aswell as those that goes to work to eat gugu and ekpa and mamaput.

Just like the lasta official who waste tax payers money catching innocent cyclist instead of focusing on serious issues for his money worth.
Re: As Fashola Declares Austerity Measures In Lagos by redsun(m): 7:18pm On Aug 02, 2011
He should cut down on official drivers too,executives should drive themselves,if they can't drive,let them use public transports. Although cutting down on official drivers will mean losing more jobs but it is a great way of cutting realistic waste.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Election Tribunal Rules In Favour Of Gej / Transformation Of Singapore From Swampland To Skyscrapers (pictures) / $43m Ikoyi Flat Loot: I Warned NIA Boss Not To Cover Rotimi Amaechi.- FFK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.